Home | Reviews | Rim | WTB

WTB LaserDisc DH Rim

4.33/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 625 grams MSRP : $35.99

• Downhill racing and freeride rim
  • Features wide 36mm Disc specific profile, Speed Lock, and double eyelets
  • 32 hole and 36 hole, black, welded

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jake May a Downhiller from Alameda

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2005

Strengths:    fair price, at around 80-$90 retail, great qualtiy materials, strong as hell with the I-beam running down the center.

Bottom Line:
    take it from me, a bike mechanic for about the last seven years, this is one strong rim. keep your wheels true and tensioned and they will last for multiple seasons.

Favorite Trail:   North star at tahoe

Purchased At:   Alameda Bicycles (R.I.P)

Similar Products Used:   mavic,sun, ext.

Bike Setup:   pink huffy, streamers, flower basket, basically the hard core set up.

Submitted by Mark Giannasi a Downhiller from Boulder, CO USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, reliable, and predictable.

Weaknesses:    After 2 years of hard downhill racing, front rim is comming apart at the weld. Not bad though for two years of use.

Bottom Line:
    Held up for two years and were awsome. After bails and falls and drops, these rims were still there in their original form. Would definatly buy them again.

Favorite Trail:   Paid In Full

Similar Products Used:   Sun ringle rhyno light.

Bike Setup:   2003 Ironhorse SGS Pro

Submitted by Josh a Downhiller from Kelowna

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, sturdy, looks good, it's quality.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy, but that's what you get for a strong dh rim.. doesn't bother me though.

Bottom Line:
    Good strong rim, I was using a mavic for awhile and it just doesn't compare. I've done a couple 6' to flat on my hardtail with some low air pressure and it didn't bend a bit. I'd buy this rim again, without a doubt.

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   03 bruzza, 03 jr t pro, race face, wtb..

Submitted by Uthman Ray IV a Racer from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2004

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    The best downhill race rim on the market. After installing these rims on my bike, there was a drastic decrease in the number of flats I got. The speed lock prevents the tire of rolling off the rim, and seems to seal the rim/tire combination so that even if the tube has been punctured, there is negligible loss in tire pressure, and a race run can be completed.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 321 & 521, Sun Double Wide,

Bike Setup:   2004 Santa Cruz V-10, WTB rims, tires, seat, & grips, Fox Vanilla Rear Shock, Hayes brakes, Sram drivetrain, Truvativ cranks and BB, Easton bars, and Thomson seatpost.

Submitted by John Podlipnik a Downhiller from Granite Bay, CA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Strengths:    *Looks nice
    *worked well when it did

Weaknesses:    *not strong enough

Bottom Line:
    Yea I hit a drop in folsom (one next to the bridge) and cracked this rim in 2 places and riped out 6 spokes. I had checked the spokes that day, and also I landed it perfect (back tire just a bit before front) and smooth but the rim decided to give and pushed the tire up into the fork and I went over the bars onto cement (shafted). I woouldn't trust this rim if ur into hucking.

Similar Products Used:   24" atom lab trail pimp....(beast)

Bike Setup:   super 8

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Philly

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Strengths:    Held up to urban abuse very well. Used for a year, still as good as new.

Weaknesses:    I kinked this rim an hour after the Bullit I purchased was put together. Absolutely impossible to change the tires. Every attempt at changing required new rim tape and chewed up tire beads.

Bottom Line:
    I probably would've enjoyed these better if I was a racer. The way the tires refuse to break free from the rim has probably saved someones life somewhere, but was a b*tch to deal with when you change your tires often. I wouldn't recommend this rim for light riders, city-folk, or anyone without a pair of metal tire levers. Great, strong product...but not versatile for everyone's needs.

Purchased At:   Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   Atomic Aircorps

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz

Submitted by steve a Weekend Warrior from bc canada

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
    its a good strong rim but it is next to imposible to change the tires

Submitted by allcapsguy a Racer from East Bay, CA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Strengths:    The rim is very stuff yet forgiving. Coupled with WTB DH tires it is nearly impossible to get a flat tire-and that is using lightweight tubes. My wheels have lasted me two years of intensive DH racing...that is more than I can say for other brands. It is nice to know that I won't get a flat tire when racing.

Lightweight too...my DH race bike weights 39 pounds. I see all these other dudes with what they think are "beefy" rims getting flats...you don't need a heavy rims you foolios!

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
    Get this rim if you want a heavy duty rim without the associated weight headaches and flat tires that come with lesser products.

Favorite Trail:   The Gimp, Nelson, B.C.

Purchased At:   My Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   WTB tires and seats.

Bike Setup:   Karpiel Armageddon with Boxxer. Dialed in.

Submitted by Dan a Racer from Santa Cruz, Ca

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2001

Strengths:    super stiff,wide(36mm), strong.light for being DH rims, They make my tires seem bigger.

Weaknesses:    product quality control sucks.

Bottom Line:
    These are great rims if they dont sand the welded seam too much.I got two of these and one had a cracked seam because they sanded it too much so I sent it back to get another one.However the one that was good got laced up to my XT disc hub and it kicks ass.Buy them and just check the seam for cracks.One less flammin turd for cracked seam.

Favorite Trail:   east and west of twingates

Purchased At:   Armadillo Cyclery