Home | Reviews | Rim | WTB

WTB KOM i-23 Rim

As light as carbon and wider than our Aluminum competition. WTB rsquo;s KOM rims showcase what is possible with our WT69 alloy. KOMs are designed for one thing only, winning. Light enough to spin your way to the top, wide enough to own your way to the bottom. Whoever said it ain rsquo;t easy being king was slow. TCS rims combine the best of everything UST compliant rim bead shapes are designed to help keep tires on rims better, while a tape and sealant system shaves away critical weight. Build them up with your favorite hub and spokes for a dream wheel set that's easily serviceable at any bike shop. Uses: Trail, All Mountain, Enduro Weight: 401g Hole: 32 Inner Rim Width: 23mm Rim Size: 23-584

Submitted by Alainzen

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2014

Strengths:    Light, no funky decals, probably the closest you can get to a carbon rim.

Weaknesses:    Poor quality, impossible to seal to run tubeless, overpriced.

Bottom Line:
I wanted some wider rim on a custom build tubeless wheelset to replace my beloved Mavic Crossmax ST. I found the WTB KOM i23 26" to be a perfect match for my all mountain / trail riding style so, I ordered them.
One of the rim had a gap at the weld seam big enough to fit a piece of paper in it, the other rim had a gap too, but narrower. I returned the rims, paid the shipping, and got replacement rims, in fact only one as the other was supposed to be "Okay"...
Got the rims back professionally build by Universal Cycles and then spent 3 hours trying to mount tubeless tires on these rims. I first use 21 mm rim tape, same as my WTB Frequency i23 29er wheels (never had an issue with those) with brand new WTB valves and Nobby Nic UST tires, no luck. Added extra sealant, still not holding air. Took everything apart, clean them up, replaced the rim tape, and tried a WTB Vigilante TCS tire... Same situation. I found after 4 different attempts that there was an internal leak that I could hear at the weld seam and that I was filling up the inner rims with sealant.
Putting my Crossmax back together using the same tires; 5 minutes.

I refused to run these overpriced rims with tubes or to try to fix them with JB Weld or whatever miracle solutions, not for a brand new rim set.
I returned them, sadly, these will be great rim once WTB can fix their quality issues.