Home | Reviews | Rim | Weinmann

2.74/5 (143 Reviews)

Weinmann Zac-19

Submitted by carlatshoalbay a All Mountain Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2012

Strengths:    Strong wheel for touring, training, 120kg rider, 35kg gear, 22 kilo bike and racks.
Dirt roads, trails, tar, potholes.
Great entry level wheel and touring wheel for budget concious

Weaknesses:    Under rated by millionaires, egocentrics, and those that can afford better.

Bottom Line:
These wheels were fitted to my Apollo mountain bike when I bought it five years ago. I seldom road the bike up until two years ago when I started MTB in the Blue Mountains near Sydney. I am a big bloke middle age bloke of 120kg and although I rode alot in my youth, I am now finding it a little hard to stay light in the saddle. After loosing 10kg going up and down the Blue Mountains, I decided I was progressing to the stage where I was going to start falling hard. I decided that a ride from Cairns to Sydney would probably be safter despite the trucks and traffic. I kept training on the bike everyday until my gear and paniers arrived. I rode the bike the distance with tremendous weight on the bike on both trail and tar. I had a little accident in the bush 36kms from the nearest town and broke three consequtive spokes and had no option to walk it out with my gear still mounted on the bike. When I took the bike in to be respoked the mechanic was suprised that the wheel had remained true, the bearings were good and the overall condition of the wheel after the punishment I had dealt it. He replaced only three spokes. I am still riding on these wheels a year later.

Favorite Trail:   Glenbrooke

Purchased At:   Purchased with bike.

Similar Products Used:   Any entry level disc wheels.

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike, humpert ergo touring bars, shwalbe marathon plus tyres, shimano drivetrain, disc brakes, front tubus rack, rear topeak rack, handlebar bag, Ortleib panniers, ride lights, handllebar camera.

Submitted by Caleb87 a Weekend Warrior from Yukon, OK

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2012

Strengths:    not alot for urban assault

Weaknesses:    heavy, weak on 180s, 360s, etc, and pretty ugly

Bottom Line:
These wheels are probably fine for xc or even some aggressive all mtn riding but as soon as you try to throw a 360 or even land an air a little sloppy, youve got problems. It is probably a great wheel for recreational use but not for urban riding at all.

Favorite Trail:   OKC city streets

Purchased At:   haro

Bike Setup:   Steel Reserve 1.1 that I bought to start out dirt jumping. These rims are about the only stock part left on my bike and they need replacing.

Submitted by ExpoEco a Cross Country Rider from Ayrshire, Scotland

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2010

Strengths:    Takes punishment on the the chin!

Weaknesses:    Subject to abrasion...

Bottom Line:
These rims took 3 years of x-country riding over very rough terrain - carrying a rider of (ahem...) 95 kg or 210 lbs plus panniers weighing up to 20 kg. They stayed true and reliable, never a wobble or flat spot. OK, so I wore out 2 sets of 2.1 inch tyres on them, and kept an eye on how the wheels were doing, but I never actually had to re-true them. Remarkable! Now the rims are worn below the wear line, and are starting to go out of true. No real surprises there - 1.5mm of aluminium carrying such loads over rough ground, with the rear wheel taking most of the braking. I reckon that the wear has come mainly from rides over sandy ground with constant speed-check braking over long descents.

Excellent rims for x-country, strong and reliable.

Favorite Trail:   Clatteringshaws to Loch Trool

Purchased At:   Craig Mc#

Similar Products Used:   Alex Ace

Bike Setup:   Claude Butler hardtail, rear panniers, set up for x-country riding with heavy loads. v-brakes set up.

Submitted by max obado a Cross Country Rider from castro valley

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    tested zac 19's 700c w/ DB insight rs on dh fire trails and dh streets of san francisco, and no problems.great city and light trail. bike purchase w/zac 19's.

Weaknesses:    ugly,but so what.

Bottom Line:
zac 19's are inexpensive, I got what I pay for,I have no complaints, I guess I lucked out? preventive maintenance is a key factor,look,listen,feel, inspect,and then correct.That will take you there and back.

Favorite Trail:   lake chabot trails

Purchased At:   perf.bikes

Similar Products Used:   wtb,,shimano deore,xt,105's mavic,ultegra,fuji

Bike Setup:   2010 diamondback insight rs 700c commuter,rack and full fenders.swapped the suntour crank for raceface and installed shimano double platform pedals

Submitted by stubecontinued a Weekend Warrior from Sactown CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Weaknesses:    weak, ugly, blah

Bottom Line:
These Came stock on my Steel Reserve and I knew it was only a matter of time til' I botched a 180 and bent 'em. I just thought it would be a matter of months, not weeks. If you have them, use them til they break, if you're considering buyinh them, don't.

Favorite Trail:   Auburn SRA

Purchased At:   Whitworth cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, WTB, Rigida, lots

Bike Setup:   2010 Haro Steel reserve 1.1

Submitted by wolfcross a Cross Country Rider from Harrisburg, Pa. USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2009

Strengths:    Economical, may last as long as user is aware of rims limitations and are honest about your riding ability/ frequency.

Weaknesses:    I have used these rims on: MTB, Touring & Cyclo-cross/ Commuter.Just not a stout rim. They flex under side loading which leads to consistent dings. For being of such robust design they do not perform like they look. I have used single wall rims that were a much stronger and maintained their trueness. Just across the spectrum of use from Road Riding, commuting or single tracking as soon as the terrain gets rough/ rugged as sure as poop when the ride is over the wheel has a wobble; hop or a ding.

Bottom Line:
I have used these rims as an OEM wheelset and built up as replacement rims with the same performance which drew me to the same conclusion: Inferior Product and/or product inconsistency. Look esle where if you going to be serious about riding and ride on a regular basis. If you do not meet this criteria they should be fine for your use, also if you really strapped for $$$. A comparable rim that is a sister model(Similar construction, spec'ing and price point) that gets consistent reviews from everyone except Hucksters is SUN CR18!! LOOKS LIKE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!!

Favorite Trail:   Any Place where Tire meets EARTH

Purchased At:   Spec'd w/ bike & Puc

Similar Products Used:   The whole spectrum of Wheel Co.(s): Mavic, Alex, Specialised, Winneman, Velocity, etc.

Bike Setup:   Raliegh Cyclocross/ Touring, Barracuda Full suspension, Specilaised Rock Hopper, Nova Road bike, NYC-Bikes Cross-speed

Submitted by capt|rambo a Cross Country Rider from nottingham uk

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2008

Strengths:    Great, not a single problem, they say don't go over 1.9 tires but my 2.35 high rollers are fine. I think maybe this product has a bad history. I haven't had a problem and I'm doing some jump landing to flat over 3 feet high with not much forward speed.

Weaknesses:    Haven't noticed any as yet.

Bottom Line:
After riding as hard as i can and pre jumping ridiculously so i land at the bottom of roll ins on my hardtail they are perfect, not a smidge out and this is after riding 100s of miles mostly off road and jumping for about 6 hours a week for the past fortnight. Perhaps the ZAC19 has had a big change since the old version that seemed to be quite bad. But I certainly rag this wheel and have never noticed a problem.

Favorite Trail:   local woods

Purchased At:   freewheel

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager sport, got stolen so I got the ZAC19

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000 (numerous upgrades all over)

Submitted by Rickyrat a Weekend Warrior from Ashland OR U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2008

Strengths:    inexpensive, double walled, look fairly cool and I needed a cheap rim and disc hub when my wallet went dry

Weaknesses:    mostly those people that dont know how to build a wheel or keep them true bad mouthing everything that they break

Bottom Line:
keep your spokes properly tensioned and your wheels true and you have no worries. I might be a weekend warrior but I have been bashing up 2 wheelers since the sixties and have broken every part on a bike at one time or another, even snapped a bottom bracket axel once! I have been building wheels since the earlie eighties and I cant stand to have my rims even half a mm out of true. if you wreck theese rims then you might want to buy a book on wheel building and find out what you or your favorite tech is doing wrong, back in the stone age we rode single walled steel rims on bikes with no suspension and hardly any brakes, catching six feet of air on our schwinn 'rays and landing on the pavement and didn't have the problems you pacified whiners are sniveling about! theese "XC" rims hold up to my 225lb arse through all of my weekend dirt wars and abuse just as well as my top dollar mavics no complaints here! but I held back one chillie cause they dont glow in the dark

Favorite Trail:   That one with the dirt that goes downhill

Similar Products Used:   mavics araya rm20's (remember those)? sun, wtb, schwinn, various no name taiwan and chineese products

Bike Setup:   2000 XCR 4000 GT I drive, bombers in front, fox vanilla in back,truvative stylo gxp cranks, juicy seven 203mm front, Hayes HFX 9 160mm rear , wtb on a lx infront Zac 19 on a lx rear( mavics were non disc hubs and didnt want to tear them down) lx shifters and deraillures

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Berlin, CT

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    Strong enough to handle 2 years of big time punishment on rocky CT trails, stays relatively true, great stock rim

Weaknesses:    Mine came with a generic rear hub that for 2 years took the abuse, now I get a bad clicking sound from the cassette hub body that is not servicable. Otherwise no complaints

Bottom Line:
The rim is great for it's price and level of quality. Mine has reinforced eyelets so it has really held up to the abuse better than ZAC-19s without reinforced eyelets. I fell on a winter ride and landed with all my weight on the back rim and bent it sideways, had it trued and it kept on trucking like nothing happened to it. Used it for 2 foot drops and it handled the drops easily, those who have killed it are probably too heavy or don't know how to land gracefully. Once again, some come with generic hubs, however the rim has been dependable enough that I installed Deore rear hub and restrung it rather than getting a new rim.

Purchased At:   Suburban Bike, CT

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M50 DX, Deore drivetrain, Hayes disc brakes, Marzocci Bomber suspension fork

Submitted by Mike Bryant a Cross Country Rider from Stowmarket, Suffolk, England

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2006

Strengths:    Err... they're round... haven't had to be trued yet i'll say that much! Good for factory fitted. Have covered 1070 miles and no probs.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, thin (try running a 2.2) though you do get a nice round profile... went on the website and they say 1.95 MAX. Can't see them doing much more than XC.

Bottom Line:
Not the best rims on earth, but good enough.

Favorite Trail:   My local woods

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   24/7 White Stars

Bike Setup:   Shogun Curfew with not many factory parts left.

Submitted by richard a Weekend Warrior from oregon

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2006

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
For the money AND type of use they are an excellent value. Those of you with hardcore DH DS bikes shouldn't be a cheapskate step up and buy a set of highend superduty rims. For the basic rider excellent value

Similar Products Used:   Sun rhynolite

Bike Setup:   Cook Bros cruiser set up fot MTB all CBR components

Submitted by David a Downhiller from tulsa

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Strengths:    It hasn't croaked yet. Getting ready to upgrade to there doublewalls. will post a review soon.

Weaknesses:    they are kinda ugly.

Bottom Line:
Hey...they are still going after 4 years of abuse on fast single tracks and drops around 5 ft. For a stock rim they kick some major A$$! I'm giving them 5 flaming turds for durability.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   cheaper azonics or rhyno lites

Submitted by David a Downhiller from tulsa

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Weaknesses:    they are kinda ugly.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   cheaper azonics or rhyno lites

Submitted by Corstian Devos a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    Takes a beating and keeps on rolling. These came stock 4 broken frames ago on my 1st Giant Warp DS-1 frame. Almost tacoed the front rim on a poorly executed drop and turn and it was salvaged by the late great Renzo at Re-My Sports (RIP). That rim is still on the front of my bike. I'm an agressive rider and at 6' 3", 230-240 lbs I lay a beating on these rims. In six years and four broken frames they haven't let me down. When I replaced my rear hub last year the rear rim was in great shape. Re-lacing it and aligning it was less than and hour's work.

Weaknesses:    None I am aware of though folks below think differently.

Bottom Line:
These rims work. They will take a beating. From what I read below, a few people weren't paying attention in physics class or don't fully understand gravity. In combination with thick rubber and beefy spoke sets these rims should survive. One poorly executed landing with a point stress deforming the rim isn't the rim's fault. Put some thick rubber around your rim and learn to land light. If you blow your landing and trash your rim don't blame the rim!!!

I'm giving these the highest value rating because they have lasted on 5 frames. Overall I'm giving it a 4 only because there are better rims out there.... I just don't need them or want them.

Favorite Trail:   anytrail is a good trail

Purchased At:   Re-My Sports, Streetsville, ON, Canada

Similar Products Used:   Came stock on my first MTB frame and have never had a need to use anything else.

Bike Setup:   Giant AC-1 frame. Old original Judy XC front fork off my old Warp DS-1 (I broke 4 frames but the fork has survived) with heavy duty springs. (I weigh 230-240 lbs) XT all around the drive train. Sachs 40 chain. Original aluminum Avid Rollamajig (no chunky plastic crap). Hayes mechanical MX-2 disc brakes with Avid 5.0 Speed Dial levers. 6" front rotor (warranty is my friend) and 8" rear rotor. Avid Flak Jacket cable system. Oury DH grips which work nice for my big hands. Fizik (Giro) Atlas seat. SH 858 pedals (they work for me). Blackspire Big Ring Protector. Conti Twister Pro on the front and WTB Tyranno Raptor paddled for traction on the back. Bike built for punishment not beauty!!!

Submitted by Nick N a Cross Country Rider from Chino Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2006

Strengths:    For being stock rims, I've never had better rims, the hub sucked a little on the rear. Other than that, totally bomb-proof rim, and I've taken some serious drops for xc(no free-ride) and had them survive. If you are flattening your rim on 2 foot drops landing straight, pump your tires to the right level. The days of tires needing to be flat for grip are over. Entry level panaracers work the best pumped up. A tire should go before you kill a rim.

Weaknesses:    Maybe weight, but seriously if you are worried about weight with a bike that comes with these rims stock, Invest another 500 in a lighter bike that comes with better rims.

Bottom Line:
If you are a weekend warrior and just looking for something that will last you forever, go for these rims. For the price you can probably pick these up, you can't beat it.

Favorite Trail:   One with a "no trespassing" sign

Purchased At:   Came with the Frame!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Ritchey. The specialized ritchey rims were lighter and the hubs better, but they went out of true a lot quicker than these rims did.

Bike Setup:   They came on a Giant Raineir. Everything decently average and heavy.