Home | Reviews | Rim | Weinmann

2.54/5 (167 Reviews)

Weinmann 519 Rims

Submitted by Mike kahn

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap
Durable

Weaknesses:    Off Road

Bottom Line:
If have had these for 14 years on my hybrid with no problems. My weight has been from 200-250lbs. I use these for pavement riding only. Having read the reviews, it appears they are not strong enough for off road use. If you plan on street riding, they are fine.

Submitted by Walter

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    This rim which is BLACK, and selected by my local bike sshop from the basment invetory has held up GREAT! I ride streets and urban trails, hop and pop curbs and jump curbs at 15 mph sometimes and have had No problem! Aswsome rims for the money! Intended for urban use!

Weaknesses:    Dont hit curbs head on!

Bottom Line:
Read the STRENGHS!

Submitted by JAM a Weekend Warrior from Atl, GA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    Integrity of the rim - It has held it's shape very well since 2000, and I ride it every chance I get!
Braking surface, with a properly setup Avid SD7 Vee Brake, I am able to match and often beat many lower line disc setups. Promise, Vee's are still viable contenders and the braking surface provided by this rim has been exceptional, I think it's the greatest strength of this rim.

Weaknesses:    Single wall! I have put about 2 deformations/bends in the rear rim and 1 in the front. Although I still ride the rims and they handle/brake fine so it's a weakness that the rim still overcomes!

But by no means is this a "Strong" rim - trust me I practice trials riding on it!

Bottom Line:
I think the strength of the rim is perceived 50% as the rim and 50% as the wheel build. If the wheel is built on your bike and it tacos, how can you blame the rim? If you had all the spokes attache and dropped your weight on the bike into a curb the rim will bend, it cannot take blunt force to the exterior. The rims job is to transfer the force through the spokes. Hey if it's still going on my stock 2000 specialized bike, they ought to be at least adequate right?!

So I would say as a rim, this is good! It has GREAT braking surface that doesn't fade and produces reliable braking. However it is weak, so it is good for ATB, and XC. No on DH and freeride.

Favorite Trail:   Harbins :)

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Similar Products Used:   Alex MX 22, DM 19, Bontrager, All steel 70's rims, Dx 32, etc.

Bike Setup:   Shimano hubs, dubble butted spokes and these rims came stock on 2000 specialized Hardrock FS

Submitted by Santos a Downhiller from Los angeles

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    DURABLE!

Weaknesses:    NOTHING!

Bottom Line:
After 11 years, I Hit a curb going 26mph and a spoke got dented and so did a spoke. I abused these rims and honestly they were amazing.

Purchased At:   NA

Bike Setup:   specialized hardrock comp fs mountain bike

Submitted by paul a Downhiller from ferguson, mo

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Strengths:    not on strength about it

Weaknesses:    can not even hold a little tail whip

Bottom Line:
this is a waste of money might of well go to walmart to buy a rim my stock rim was way stronger than 519

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   touring cyclist

Bike Setup:   i have a fuji 2.0 2010

Submitted by currentresident a Cross Country Rider from portland or usa

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    This rim last about twice as long on the breaking surface than the araya VP20 and no name rims of similar construction.

Weaknesses:    Tires are a bit harder to put on and seat than rims of the same width. Weinmann should make this rim with 40 and 48 holes.

Bottom Line:
I have settled on single wall rims after having several failures with double wall rims. The weinmann rims have never failed even though I get only 5000 miles out of solid 10mm axles on the rear.

Purchased At:   recycle bin

Similar Products Used:   Araya VP20 and no name copies

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike used for touring 70000 miles with 165 pounds on the rear wheel.

Submitted by Jim Collins a Cross Country Rider from Mount Morris, Michigian

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    519 Weinmann back rear spokes and gear spokes

Bottom Line:
I ride all over Michigan and I have had nothing but bad luck with this rim. This is my second rim in two months and the spokes keep breaking. I do not recommend every buying this rim 519 weinmann ever. Piece of garbage and shame on the company for selling such a bad product, what will it take someone getting hurt or killed before they stop selling this piece of garbage.

Favorite Trail:   Rails to Trails

Purchased At:   Aschemacher

Submitted by John Purkey a Weekend Warrior from Geneva, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2009

Strengths:    Light. Good for someone who rides a bike one or two miles every once in awhile.

Weaknesses:    Rims spokes are inferior metal.

Bottom Line:
This is the second Weinmann rim I have owned. Only ride on the smooth road, do not ride on bumpy trails. Had the rim less than a month. Rode the bike fifty miles and a spoke on the gear side broke. Had it replaced. Rode less than twenty five miles and another spoke on the gear side broke. Spokes are cheapy made and they don't last. Will not buy another Weinmann rim if manufacturer doesn't make it right. The bike shop owner said that bike spokes break all the time, just not made the way they use to be. Common complaint of cyclists. This is unacceptable.

Favorite Trail:   Road

Purchased At:   Baker's Bike at Asht

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose

Bike Setup:   27" Trek with 21 speeds

Submitted by Lyle a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Tx. USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Durable

Bottom Line:
I have beat the hell out of these rims for TEN years now and I weigh 220lbs, jumps, curbs, you name it. The front one just recently finally got a tiny bit of warp but that's after 10 years! All this time no loose spokes or any maintainence. The 519s came on the GT and have proven to be very durable.

Favorite Trail:   Jack Brooks

Bike Setup:   1998 GT Aggressor

Submitted by jim daletin a Cross Country Rider from miami, florida

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    any jump or trick you can think of. Duh

Bottom Line:
First of all, this rim is not built to suit your needs, but might be good for someone who can't walk. Anyway, my choice of taking this wheel to the extreme failed and left a Barrage of cap in my face and probably anyone else who used it.

So i was going down hill when all of a sudden i see an obstacle. I was coming at it with a speed of about 15 mph.
Then out of nowhere, BAM!!! I was on the ground, standing up when a see a absoulete bent piece of cap. I live pretty far, so i was walking in pain and a bike in my hands. I hated the wheel so bad i was about to blow in pieces, but i didn't. (100 points for the wheel) A wheel this bad should have been in the local junk store years ago. This stuff is made of sit and can be used for a ventilation cap for a garbage can. Probably won't last.

Anyway, this wheel is recommened for people who own a bike but don't ride it at all and watch day and night. People who are more interested in using their bike, BUY A BETTER ONE. I hurt, so go buy a better one before u r toast.

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   the folding wheel

Bike Setup:   2002 Raliegh

Submitted by sh a Weekend Warrior from missouri

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    not the rim, bends at the slightest pressure

Weaknesses:    One word "YES"

Bottom Line:
I bent 1 rim jumping on the trail. then decided to get these for lighter weight. Did about a 4 inch hop at about 5 mph on a paved trail first time out and bent both rims to the side. Had to stand bike over to bend back enough just to get home.

Purchased At:   bike store

Bike Setup:   Mountain Bike

Submitted by hal knight a Cross Country Rider from tuscaloosa, al, usa

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2007

Strengths:    can be used as a weapon of mass destruction

Weaknesses:    it really does suck in every way. it is weak. it bends and folds at the greatest of ease. i thought bicycle wheels were supposed to last more than a couple of days.

Bottom Line:
when i was 5 years old, my friend told me to stick a paper clip into an electric socket. deep down, i knew it was a bad idea. but i did it anyway. you know what happened next - i got shocked. and a bonus - it started a fire in my elementary school library - true story.

27 years later and i still haven't learned my lesson. i bought the weinmann after reading most of the reviews on this very site. i needed a quick fix. i was in a real bind. i thought, "i'll just be careful on these, until i can afford some better rims. I don't ride that hard anyway" Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Listen to me now, my friends. I bought this absolute piece of crap on a thursday. By monday, i had an abstract piece of art for a rear wheel. mangled rubber, metal and even some flesh - it was beautiful but useless. I only ride on sidewalks. I'm 32 years old with a deep respect for/fear of bodily injury. I don't ride hard, i ride safe.

trust me, DON'T buy a weinmann unless you're 62 years old, about to retire and think that 8mph is too fast. learn from my mistake. i hurt, so you don't have to.

Purchased At:   velocity pro cycle

Similar Products Used:   soft shell taco

Bike Setup:   2002 cannondale bad boy on ritchey 26x1.0 slicks

Submitted by Lance Javriclec a Downhiller from n/a

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    LMAO! none, maybe, yah nvm none.

Weaknesses:    Holy crap, where to begin, so many. the whole thing is a weakness.

Bottom Line:
n/A

Similar Products Used:   none, this is the worst rim of all time.

Submitted by Matt Alexander a Weekend Warrior from Clovis Ca.

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2007

Strengths:    they are a cheap replacement for a quick fix if you are in a bind. as for any real product value , the weinmann 519 rims are worthless, pathetic at best.

Weaknesses:    these rims are the worst. They never stay true and spokes break off and/or bend by practicaly just looking at em!
I had a rear rim fold like a taco in a matter of 1 month.
you cant even ride off a sidewalk curb with these rims.
I got 5 broken spokes and 2 bent ones. If you cant even hop or ride of a curb in a freakin mountain bike then we might as well be riding road bikes intead.

Bottom Line:
do not waste time and money with the weinmann 519 rims. they are garbage. matter fact you might as well drill a hole and mount a cassette and rear derailer onto a metal garbage can lid. it'll probably last longer.

Favorite Trail:   off trail booney crashing!!!!!!!! and suburban assaults!!!!

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   shimano stx rx 8s PARRALLAX and gary fischers on my other MTB - ( GARY FISCHER HOO KOO E KOO )

Bike Setup:   2000 GIANT RINCON SE

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Wildwood N.J, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    This is a grate rim for urbin riding.

Weaknesses:    Not recomended for heavy trail use.

Bottom Line:
I bought these rims to hold my mtb road slicks and cruse around town and the boardwalk. They have held true and are good for what I'm useing them for. I have Sunrims (big fat mammoth) with 2.5 michelins for cross country and single track. Use the right equiptment for the job and you won't encounter any problems. I wouldn't think of hoping curbs with any rim at 15 mph.

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Bike Setup:   Hardtail olsd school Giant

rims: between XC and FR: 519? Big Box?

I have a set of Magura Pro (hugi x317 DT 14/15 brass nip) wheels that I know I should have destroyed by now, but haven't. Still as I am riding rougher and rougher stuff these days, why tempt fate? Unfortunately I like light, and don't own a gold mine. But a 2nd wheelset for the rougher days woul ... Read More »