Home | Reviews | Rim | Velocity

Velocity VXC Rim

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

Here's what you've been waiting for - a rim that will fill all of your requirements. A light weight, aerodynamic, eyeleted, disc brake specific, cross country rim that is as strong as it is good looking.

Submitted by 22GILBERT22 a Weekend Warrior from Casa Grande AZ

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2009

Strengths:    I weigh 240 lbs. I used them on xc\all mountain riding. I set them up with 2.1 nevagals, and try to clean stuff with skills not slamming stuff. They lose their true a little, but I know there not an all mountain wheel for a 240 lb clydsdale. For somebody under 200 lbs xc rider with a little all mountain there great.

Weaknesses:    None if your an xc rider. Why try and run bigger than 2.35 on this rim. Don't make sense.

Bottom Line:
I got these cheap over Mavic, and they're about the same quality, so for what I paid for them. I like them. I like having something diffrent than the main stream that works.

Favorite Trail:   National South Mountain

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 317

Bike Setup:   KHS 604 XC\ALL MOUNTAIN with a little of every thing. Don't be fooled KHS 604 is a damm good bike.

Submitted by sinac84 a Cross Country Rider from Snellville, Ga

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, Light, Stiff

Bottom Line:
This rim is amazing, very strong and light. I'm weigh around 220lbs with gear and I've ridden these rims in everything from rocks, roots, 1-2 foot drops on granite rock, and little kickers, ect... and they have not come untrue except after having they were laced up and set in after a couple of rides (which is normal). I never worry about them because i know they can take whatever i dish out. LOVE'EM!!! And they work great with a ghetto tubeless setup.

Favorite Trail:   Yargo

Purchased At:   Lifetime Bikes

Similar Products Used:   WTB Speed Discs

Bike Setup:   2008 Cannondale F29 Two with upgrades

Submitted by mooms a Cross Country Rider from Durango, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2008

Strengths:    Look cool, strong for how minimalist they appear. easy to mount & remove tires.

Weaknesses:    none taking into account my riding.

Bottom Line:
I weigh 185ish w/gear. Ride pretty hard (rocky mountains) but don't do 4ft drops, thats what my AM ride is for. Have beaten on these for 2 seasons built with DT DB 14-17 guage spokes & alloy nipples. Front has stayed true no prob. Rear got a bit wacky after a pretty good headplant but retrued pretty well. One slight ding but no flat spot, did pinch flat but thats the only time. Only run 35psi rear, 30 front. Only gripe is the rear creeks when really torquing on a climb. Was told due to alloy nipples. Brass during the build would aleviate the prob.Would also build with a straight guage spoke for a bit stiffer wheel with more reliable tensioning.
Building a new set w/King hubs. Same rim. Would recommend.

Favorite Trail:   out my back door...

Similar Products Used:   mavic, bontrager, easton, azonic (bombproof), sun ringle (taco'd multiple diff rims)

Bike Setup:   Surly karate monkey 29er singly. Hope Pro II's. Nevegal 2.2's. Rockshox Reba race 80mm.

Submitted by Haywood Jablowme a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2008

Strengths:    Super high build quality. Great company. Lots of color choices. Fairly light weight.

Weaknesses:    Seam in rim is not very seamless. Rim is very unhappy supporting a 26x2.4" at 30psi. Rider weighs 160 and pinches mega-volume tires regularly with the VXCs. Rim sidewalls are short, but not too strong.

Bottom Line:
a bicycle is only as good as its motor. Nobody cares about how your bike is set up or if you smashed up a rim due to careless riding. The bottom line is this: stop making excuses, just ride.

Oh, and the vxc's are totally worth the $$$. Strong, high-quality rim. To make the rim last longer, consider running tires with a PSI above 40.

Favorite Trail:   Walmart-Sams-Lowes C-C-C-COMBO

Purchased At:   WWW.bikesandmoregainesville.com

Similar Products Used:   These are my first XC specific Disk Rims. Prior to the VXCs I ran Azonic Butcher triple walls. However, these rims are way more aggressive looking than the old Mavic 517 Rim Brake Rims that I used to XC on.

Bike Setup:   2008 Spooky Bikes Darkside
XTR Shadow Rear, XTR STD Front
REEBA race air fork

Submitted by Terry Ash a Cross Country Rider from Utah Valley, Utah

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2008

Strengths:    light, durable

Bottom Line:
These rims are super strong, and light. I weigh 235, and have hammered these rims through Porcupine Rim several times, not to mention all kinds of rocky Wasatch riding. Had them retensioned and trued after 2.5 years!

Sweet rims... sweet build. Contact Mike Garcia at www.oddsandendos.com for a great wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim - MOAB!!!

Purchased At:   oddsandendos.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 317, Mavic 223, Coda

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad built light for trail riding

Submitted by Ryan Miller a Cross Country Rider from SB,USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2007

Strengths:    Looks Good, builds up well with good tension

Weaknesses:    Weak side wall.

Bottom Line:
I caved in the sidewall of the rim in 3 spots while riding Porcupine rim. Nothing that kept me from making it to the bottom but air pressure was slowly leaking from my tubless setup. I was a little dissappointed in how quickly I destroyed these rims. Maybe these rims would be good for a smaller rider running high pressure as I am 185lb riding 40 psi on 2.1. The front rim is holding up fine though. Good price maybe not so good quality?

Favorite Trail:   anything new

Similar Products Used:   Mavis f219, mavic 321

Bike Setup:   2003 Kona Dawg, Vanilla RLC, Hayes Disc, Hope Pro II Hubs, Raceface evolve crankset.

Submitted by TJ Zimnavoda a Cross Country Rider from nyc

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Strengths:    weight is 375g each. Comes in any color you can want-I have white walls. Rims are strong, I'll attest to that! These rims have survived as well as any 317, 517 or 321. Aussie made.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses that I can find.

Bottom Line:
Buy them. They have been good and strong for my heavy cc riding! Any rim that works this well, weighs in as light, doesn't dent easily, comes in great colors, and costs at or near 50 bucks after tax is a good choice.

Purchased At:   Rochvim, Jerusalem, Israel

Similar Products Used:   317, 517, 219, 321 for years and years and years.

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner with Marz AM SL. Wheels are Hope, DT DB, alloy nips and these VXCs front and back

Velocity VXC or Easton EA70 Wheelset

I'm thinking about selling my reliable but unflashy Velocity VXC wheelset in favor of a flashier EA70 XC Wheelset. Is this a good move? Should I stick with the Velocity's?Read More »

velocity VXC disc rim

How large of a tire can be run on a Velocity VXC disc rim? I purchased one to rebuild my taco'd front wheel and forgot to check the width. I want to run 2.1s or 2.2s on the front. Thanks!Read More »

Velocity VXC rims??

Does anyone have experience with Velocity VXC rims? I have seen some pretty nice 29r wheel builds using the blunts, but have not found any info on these rims. And yes, I did use the search function before I posted this.Read More »

Velocity VXC Wheel Freehub

Anybody know what type of freehub body is on a 2006 model Velocity Wheelset. I know the rims are VXC, but the hub only says Velocity and is a sealed cartridge. I need to know if a shimano bolt on freehub body can be used as a replacement. Thanks,Read More »

XTR / velocity vxc sweet!!!

I just built a set of wheels, They are Velocity VXC 29er disc rims with XTR centerlock hubs and DT supercomp spokes. this is my second set of wheels with the velocity rims and I really like them, light weight and good looking plus they build up rather nice. I am blown away by the new XTR hubs tho ... Read More »