Home | Reviews | Rim | Velocity

Velocity Blunt 29 Rim

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Look no further you just found the best 29er rim on the market. You want them wider, stonger, and lighter? Done! Designed with a wider footprint in mind the Blunt will burn through the trails and rip through the slop. For the road, dirt, slush, grass, rocks, or trees, hold on tight this rim is gonna blow your mind!

• Colors: Black, Silver, Celeste, White, Red, Anti-Freeze Green, Popsicle Purple, Yellow, Teak, Orange, Electric Blue, and many more please call for details.
  • Drillings: 32, 36

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by pa rider a Cross Country Rider from mechanicsburg pa

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2011

Strengths:    width rim great for traction. lace up easily and durable for hits.

Weaknesses:    cracks on eyelets after a few truing. seem to attract rocks easily.

Bottom Line:
    this is my first 29er wheelset which I got a great deal for custom build wheel set. paid $300 x9 sram and blunt rims. like how the extra width gave tires more contact to trail. Wheels got alot of abuse this year and over 1000 miles on single track trails (pa slate rocks/ruts/roots/and log cover trails).

Had problem with front wheel spokes so got one year out of rim before building hub up again. Rim didn't ding too much but had some gasses from rocks rolling off them.

As for rear wheel the rim egg on me in 4 spokes. Eyelet was pulling apart with spoke coming up. I believe my rim was getting warped and had the wheel true about 5 times. This started after about 1 year use. I was running a bontrage 29-4 tire on it.

I find wider tires give my wheels a more trashing than 2.1 tires (must be the weight). on my old trek fuel 26 bike when I ran wider tires it seem to trash my wheels more.

Considering the way i ride and abuse on wheels getting a year out of rim is great. I feel if you can get this rim as cheap as my 3rd wheel ($50) it a bargain to build up.

I think the rim shape may lead to some of the problems with the dings I got in the rims real eaily. i had to put bontrager rim tape (tubeless kit plastic rim strip) to get the wheel from giving me flats. The velox tape always moved and found once I put the strip in it solved my problem. Never tried a tubeless kit on the rim, but got 6 months out of the same tube once i fixed the rim strip.

Would say this is a great rim for rider on budget. Meaning if your getting xt wheelsets it not a bad way of going. If you're a racer than you're probably buying those $800 wheelsets. I like this rim over the wtb and salsa rims. Trying a stan flow to see if it last longer on my front wheel, but figure I'm 190 lbs the rear now going to matter what rim I get as long as it strong.

Favorite Trail:   rcst raystown

Purchased At:   rothrock outfitter/o

Similar Products Used:   mavic 26 rims and wtb 26 rims. This is my 1st 29er wheelset.

Bike Setup:   hard tail 29er salsa el marchi. Had blunt rims on front and back X9 sram hubs. now have blunt rim ($50 rim i got online) on 340 hugi hub for rear wheel.

Submitted by Holmes a Weekend Warrior from Berthoud, CO

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap, stiff, wide, easy on the eyes

Weaknesses:    Not tubeless ready

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 29er rims. Bought these pre-built on XT hubs from my LBS ($185 for the wheelset). These are reasonably light, stiff, neat-O looking rims. Have yet to try a tubeless conversion, but supposedly easy to do w/ Bontrager rims strips / valves.

The extra width of these rims definitely adds a bit of contact area to the tires, a good thing. Hopefully Velocity will come out with a tubeless ready version of these rims at a similar price-point (which would be a no-brainer).

Favorite Trail:   Road To Ruin

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey, 32h XT hubs

Submitted by team tortuga a Cross Country Rider from buchanan mi

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2008

Strengths:    very low profile, yet now seem to handle alot of abuse even under my weight 220lbs but read on. not flashy, i like that.

Weaknesses:    took afew more times than other rims ive used to true. this was my first 29r set though, maybe thats the nature of the beast. for the first 200 miles, seemed like i had to true the spokes after every 25 miles i rode.
    the cheap stickers GOTS-TA-GO! and they did after 2 minutes with a heat gun. also, velocity said they will run tubeless just fine, not in my experience. after the 4th cracked bead i chucked the "stans" and went with tubes.

Bottom Line:
    ive put about 500 miles of single track on since the last time i had to tune them again. running very true now but i still am keeping an eye on them, read in mtb action awhile back about tightening 29r spokes a 1/4 turn more than 26.set them up this way and i think anyone would love them. GREAT VALUE though!

Purchased At:   cycle and fitness

Similar Products Used:   only these on a 29.

Bike Setup:   custom stumpy 29r. XT, XTR drive train and brakes. XT hubs.

Velocity Blunt 29 Feedback?

I have a pair of regular Blunt 29's that are a few years old. These are the 28mm rims and not the narrower SL. I see that Velocity has updated the Blunt to run better with tubeless. Currently running mine tubeless with the Bontrager tubeless strips. Rear rim has developed cracks at the ... Read More »

wet red rims 29" 32h, Velocity Blunt SL classic red anyone?

I plan to build an all red wheel set, but not anodized. Velocity stopped producing the Blunt SL rim in classic red. I could not find anything in the web. Do you know of any left stock Blunts or other types of wet red rims in 32 holes and 29". It should suit a lightweight CC rig. [ATTACH=C ... Read More »

blunt 29 rims

anyone running these? any thoughts?Read More »

Shimano XT Niner 29" Velocity Blunt

[URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-XT-Niner-29-Velocity-Blunt-29er-Bike-Wheelset-/200566917511?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb2b84987" Velocity Blunt"]Shimano XT Niner 29" Velocity Blunt[/URL] Anyone have any experience with these rims? Looking to upgrade the stock rims on my [URL="http:// ... Read More »

Velocity Blunt 29" ERD

Anyone have the spec? It is not on their site, googled, used the search, etc. thanksRead More »