Home | Reviews | Rim | Velocity

Velocity Aero Heat Rim

4.62/5 (26 Reviews)

Aero Heat is a strong, durable lightweight rim suitable for singletrack, city riding, or even loadedTouring. It's available in several diameters and drilling patternsTo meet your custom wheelbuild needs. Machined aluminum sidewalls claimed 440 grams (26" size)

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Strong wheels for clydesdale riding. Pick any color you want. Stay true for a long time even with a heavy rider plus cargo. No nipples required so it's a fairly inexpensive setup.

Weaknesses:    Braking surface developed a less-than-a-dime size area of pits in one location which has resulted in brake noise. But the beauty of the thing: I'm just going to clean the wheels and keep running them as is, I think they'll be just fine.

Bottom Line:
I commute on this bike a few miles to work most days, have ridden some single track with it, like to ride around the city. These are your standard rims that will be there for you like your best wingman. I weigh 250 pounds and always use a cargo pannier on the rear rack, with five pound lock and various junk. In the last six months of constant use even in the rain, these rims have needed to be re-trued once. They are bombproof...but keep in mind I had these hand trued at a local pro shop and that makes a huge difference.

Are they smooth? I guess. My bike is full rigid and I can still take minor drops and not hurt too bad afterward. Bumps aren't too bad with tires at 60psi. With XT hubs, this bike rolls fast and I wouldn't say the rim weight is an issue.

After six months, the braking surface on one side has a spot where it pitted. Not sure if it's from rocks or from parking the bike. It makes the brake pads squeal. I guess if I have to replace the rim I'll get another Aeroheat in another crazy color and beat the living crap out of that one too.

Favorite Trail:   Wherever

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse

Similar Products Used:   Alex entry level, Araya 27" wheelset, old Mavic wheelset

Bike Setup:   early 90's Stumpjumper cro-mo, XT hubs, DT Swiss 14g spokes, single speed with a Singulator, balloon semi-slick tires

Submitted by a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    Strength, value, looks

Bottom Line:
When you ride the last thing you want is part failure. All the gear I put on my bike I don't want to think about when I'm riding. This rim does the trick! I feel zero flex and I weigh 210lbs! Mine are anodized black and non-machined in the sides. They look great! Another thing to consider is that many other rims do not have to option for a 36h lace-up.

Purchased At:   spinlitecycling.com

Similar Products Used:   sun, velocity vxc

Bike Setup:   5" travel Titus SB w/ hadley hubs and sapim CX ray spokes

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Nelson, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    These rims have exceeded my expectations, especially at 440grams. I have always bought Mavic rims but was tired of cracks developing around the eyelets especially on the 517s. I am 230lbs and use these for loaded touring and they have remained true. A couple of spokes have loosened up but even then, the rim barely came out of true. I didn't notice the loose spokes until I felt them. Not as a result of rim rubbing against brake.

Don't be concerned about the lack of eyelets. According to Velocity, the rim is thicker at the spoke so eyelets are not needed. It's more of an issue if you are a builder.

Weaknesses:    None.

Well actually, Velocity does a poor job in the sticker department. They look cheap and are not on straight. Does it matter? Only to the person who is in a shop comparing two rims and buys the other because it's prettier.

Bottom Line:
Why pay more.

I am done with Mavic.

Purchased At:   QBP through REI

Similar Products Used:   Too many to mention.

Bike Setup:   Thorn Nomad expedition tourer.

Submitted by MARK a Cross Country Rider from Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Strengths:    Strong and reliable for the weight. A very good value.

Bottom Line:
I am rating the 29 er (700C) version which is the Velocity Dyad. It's the same exact extrusion but made to 700c. It is meant as a touring 700C rim but is plenty wide at 24 mm to be used as a 29er mountain bike rim. A fellow 29er rider and I discovered this rim while in search of a stong rim that doesn't carry a heavy weigh penalty. The Dyad has proven to be the best rim we have found. We ride on Southern Nevada's rocky trails and we both weigh well over 200 lbs.

These rims have held up very well under the Singlespeed (hardtail) loads over rocky Las Vegas trails. If you want a good reliable, strong, stiff and relatively light rim, the Velocity Dyad (AeroHeat) is a good choice.

Purchased At:   40

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Maverick and Mustang

Bike Setup:   Soulcraft Holy Roller 29er singlespeed

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from Alaska

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2005

Strengths:    Longevity!!! Wow. Its been 6 years since I built this as a front wheel... and its now on a different bike...

Weaknesses:    ??? Can't find them for $20 anymore... hahaha!

Bottom Line:
I previously reviewed this rim in 2000 under the name Otts. Anyway, these rims are now on my second tier bike, a steel hardtail, which I ride quite a bit, in winter, to commute, and on trails (though less frequently than my disc equipped Full suspension). Anyway, these rims have lasted! They stay true, and the braking surfaces are hardly worn. The rear rim (not a velocity) is going to need replacement due to brake surface wear. Anyway, I've ordered another Velocity Aero Heat to replace a Ritchey Girder Rim for my FS. Same ERD! The ritchey is oversize I think, cause I can barely install or remove tires (same that I can install by hand on the velocity). I hope current production is of the same quality as the one I picked up 6 years ago. If so, I can really recommend these rims.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Girder

Bike Setup:   Steel hardtail, V-brakes, Marzocchi Atom 80.

Submitted by Christian Uy a Cross Country Rider from Phillippines

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Strengths:    Very strong!!! I'm about 210lbs and for more than 3yrs im still waiting for it to break down

Weaknesses:    Other than its weight. None!

Bottom Line:
Perfect for a big guy like me. Its worth spending your hard earned money

Purchased At:   Velo City

Bike Setup:   Gt frame, lx frnt & rear derailleur, easton cockpit, rock shox judy xc

Submitted by Lonnie J. a Cross Country Rider from WESTMINSTER, MD.

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    PRICE YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR THOUGH!!!!

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE BUYING ANYTHING FROM VELOCITY

Bottom Line:
THIS REVIEW IS FOR VELOCITY HUBS. I CAN NOT FIND THEM ON THIS PAGE SO THIS IS BETTER THEN NOTHING. VELOCITY SEALED REAR HUBS ARE JUNK!! THAT IS GIVING THEM TO MUCH CREDIT. IN MY FIRST 4 MONTHS I BEGAN TO HEAR A DEEP CREAKING FROM THE HUB. AT THE END OF THIS HUBS LIFE ( FIVE MONTHS) I WAS CLIMBING A SMALL HILL AND THE FREE WHEEL BEGAN TO SPIN IN THE HUB. THE INSIDE OF THE HUB BROKE LOSS AND WAS SPINNING INSIDE IT SELF. THE FREE WHEEL WAS HOLDING NICE. VELOCITY SENT ME A NEW HUB WITH OUT HAVING TO SEND BACK THE OLD ONE. THANKS FOR PROLONGING MY PAIN VELOCITY ! THE SECOND HUB (ABOUT 5 MONTHS) THE FREE WHEEL LOCKED UP. I CALLED VELOCITY AGAIN AND THIS TIME I GOT A FULL REFUND AND WAS TOLD TO PIECE OUT THE TWO HUBS TO FIX THE NEW ONE AND SEND BACK THE OLD ONE. MAN WAS THAT COOL, BUT IT ONLY LASTED FOR ABOUT A WEEK OR TWO BECAUSE MY NEW SECOND HUB NOW SPINS INSIDE IT SELF JUST LIKE THE FIRST ONE. I WILL BE MAKING SOME MUCH NEEDED IMPROVMENTS. CHRIS KING TWO CHILI'S FOR VALUE ONLY BECAUSE CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS BETTER THEN MOST.

Favorite Trail:   PATAPSCO STATE PARK

Purchased At:   LIBERTY BIKE SHOP

Bike Setup:   TREK 6700 XT PARTS + 200 POUND RIDER

Submitted by anton a Cross Country Rider from ca

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Strengths:    very strong rim, cool color

Weaknesses:    no eyelets but who needs them?

Bottom Line:
I am using this rim for my rear wheel. This wheel takes alot of abuse on my hardtail, and yet it has stayed true ever since i built it. Velocity road rims have poor reputation, but don't let that stop you, this rim is awesome.

Favorite Trail:   any demo forest trail

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   mavic rims

Bike Setup:   balance al750

Submitted by Clyde S. Dale a Racer from Seattle

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Strengths:    - extremely strong
- stays true
- for the money, they are the best rims made.

Weaknesses:    - none (maybe the techno-weenies think they are a bit heavy).

Bottom Line:
I race sport clydesdale and the Aeroheat rims as well as their Deep V brother are truly bombproof. I weigh 222lbs and never-I repeat- NEVER in 3 years of use have had my two wheel sets trued. Even after thousands of miles of trail use (not road or paved paths) in the state of WA, have the rims failed me. If you don't mind an extra ounce or two, buy these rims.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic (garbage), Sun Ringle, Matrix, Weinmann

Bike Setup:   Yeti A.R.C. titanium, XTR, Marzocchi, Chris King

Submitted by Guido Hatzix a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Strengths:    These rims are strong, and relatively true. I'm glad I tried these rims, truly a revolutionary product. I recommend this product to everyone who's serious about riding.

Weaknesses:    None. Please ignore the post below, he has go to be 11.

Bottom Line:
The best rims on the market, also, very reasonably priced. These rims are virtually indestructable, they have been abused and thrashed, and stand up to take some more. If you are serious about riding and your gear, give these hoops a go.

Long live velocity!

Favorite Trail:   My Hallway

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Dice, Hed, Sun, Bontrager.

Submitted by Guido Hatzis a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Strengths:    Mate, where do I begin. Their Aussie made, stronger than their main competitor, cheaper than their competitor,etc.

Weaknesses:    What?

Bottom Line:
These rims are definitely value for money. I have not come accross another rim that has withstood the abuse the Aeroheat rim has. I recommend this product to everyone. They also look better than the competitor. Give these rims a try and you will not be dissapointed.

Long live Velocity!

Favorite Trail:   My Hallway

Purchased At:   Claymore

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Sun, Bontrager, Dice.

Bike Setup:   Does not matter.

Submitted by Richago Petranovich a Cross Country Rider from Ogden, UT, United States

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Strengths:    I'll admit, I fell for the killer looks, that svelt titanium/XTR grey-green color. And, I'm the only person I know who has a set. They have stayed truer than any other combination I've used. My highest drops are 3 or 4 feet and I weigh 150 pounds, and I've had some exciting crashes that have no doubt been hard on them.

Weaknesses:    It looks like the sidewalls are going to wear through after a while. Not the rims' fault, but gritty mud works wonders.
No grommets.

Bottom Line:
Great product, now give me one with grommets

Favorite Trail:   under the lines, Moab

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 217, Mavic 221, and I,uh, killed a Weinmann a long time ago

Bike Setup:   laced with 14/15 butted spokes, brass nipples, XT hubs

Submitted by Charlie Devine a Cross Country Rider from Oak Ridge TN, U.S.A

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    so so strong
no need for eyelets
fly looks

Weaknesses:    narrow braking surface
seam is bonded not welded

Bottom Line:
Just look at the cross-section of these rims. Why build a rim with any other profile than this? I plan on buying a lifetime supply of these. Yes, that means one pair. I will build them into a disc-brake wheel set, so the little issue of braking surface width will be NA. Also, It won't rub the collor off. It has been more than three years and my rim is just now a little out of true. I had Nashbar build it up in a 3 cross pattern (wanted radial but one year waranty only covered traditional style) on an XT hub, with brass nipples. By the way, they were 14 guage spokes (I weigh 220#) How long ago was that? Well it definitely was before disc brake hubs. It is sad to think that when I build up a new disc set the old velocity will gather dust.
Five steaming horse flops for value because even at $45 it was well worth it. AT $25 you need to stock up. There are pits where rocks have chipped and gouged the metal but the rim stayed perfectly true.
Five steamers overal 'cause I can't give 'em six.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   Nashbal

Similar Products Used:   WTB speedmaster
OEM junk

Bike Setup:   Al hardtail Marzocchi Z4 flighlight air (velocity rim is on front) and a Gary Fisher frame

Submitted by Jon a Racer from State College PA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2002

Strengths:    fairly light, with a wide profile
smooth seam at the join
strong, strong, strong
lots of colors (if it matters).

Weaknesses:    wish they had eyelets

Bottom Line:
The sidewalls on the Sun's were getting thin, and after 5 years, I was ready for something wider. I picked Aeroheats for their strong reviews and price, and am very happy.
I built them onto XTR hubs, 2x front, 3x rear, with Wheelsmith XL14 spokes and alloy nipples. No real weights, but definitely light. No problems with the alloy nips and lack of eyelets, either, though I used plenty of grease. Time will tell.
The brake track could be bigger, a la the Mustangs, but it's wide enough for my Avids. Tires mount easily, and the wider profile lets the tires spread out a bit more, which I like.
These are my race wheels this year, so I'll report back in the fall with a durability update. I trust my building skills, though, so hopefully these will go another 5 years.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge trail in Tussey