Home | Reviews | Rim | Syncros

Syncros DS28 Rim

4.5/5 (14 Reviews)
Weight : 545 grams MSRP : $49.99

Syncros DS-28 Disc Rims: True Track technology: elongated sleeved joint improves rim strength. Bead Lock System: machined grooves in rim bead designed for improved tire retention in low pressure situations...

Submitted by old school 43 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, for intended AM/Trail use. Strong. Build up nice. White is nice.

Weaknesses:    If you don't plan ahead, standard valve stems are short and kinda hard to get to.

Bottom Line:
I've used these for a little over a year, all 4 seasons. Tires as thin as a true 1.9 and as wide as Kenda and Maxxis 2.3 large volume tires (fork won't take much bigger tire). Ridden heavy XC and some light DH, in a glacial region, so I've hit a few large rocks. These are, by far, the best rims I've used. I've run Bontrager, Mavic, Sun Ringle and Specialized, these are head and shoulders above those rims. I don't run tubeless. The wells are deep, which would make mounting a tubeless tire easy. I don't even know if they are tubeless, btw. I do buy 50mm (or so) valve stem tubes, they are the same price, just have to ask for them. Had to do a touch up true once after they were built and once about 6 months ago. I had a sound coming from the back wheel so I rebuilt the hub (Hope's are sooo nice) and found it wasn't the hub after a short ride. It was the spokes. I was able to get almost a full turn out of all of them. I had it in the truing stand and it was off by maybe 2mm! I had ridden our local hard packed rock filled trails, Kettle, a week earlier and since the spokes were uniformally loose, I can assume they were loose during the ride as well. Usually after a ride at that place, I either pinch flat or need to true the wheels. Every one of my previous rims have a flat spot from Kettle, usually during the first or second ride. I've ridden there 10+ times and have nothing to show for it. I'm about 250 lbs and run at least 40psi and ride a hardtail or 2. If you were to use these rims for DH, I would use them as a "race only" wheel set. I read about people using these for huge drops, they are only 545 grams, so I don't think they would last, imo. Get Spanks or DMR's. But if you want to replace your rims with something that will last a full season and then some, I've done 140+ rides, these are totally worth it. And I did get the white and yes they get dirty. A Mr Clean eraser spunge will bring them back and a coat of car wax will keep grease at bay.

Favorite Trail:   Pets

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic AM rims, Bontrager Mustangs (2 Generations), Sun Rhyno, Specialized 25mm rims

Bike Setup:   Depends, Cotic Bfe hardtail. Mix of Hope, Race Face, DMR, XTR. Or Santa Cruz Chameleon hardtail. Mix of Avid, Hope, XTR, Race Face, Kore. Rims are laced to Blue Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, Dt Comp DB spokes in black w/alloy nipples 1945 grams.

Submitted by bikephan a Downhiller from Brevard, NC

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2011

Strengths:    Strength, weight, durability....should I go on.

Weaknesses:    the matte white is a chore to keep clean...but it is a f mtb right.

Bottom Line:
I have close to 4 years on this rim with I9 doing a custom build to for me. Trued once. Period. I am a BBI trained tech. I raced bmx and dh for years but I don't case things or major huck. This have ridden 80% of Pisgah, Dupont, and even been thrown on my Dh bike for some random SE races. I have run them tubeless with Stans 25mm tape as well but I had to wrap twice. I run tubes 90% of the time and have had maybe 4 flats total in those years. mostly from poor tire pressure. This is a solid rim that is AM rated and it performs flawlessly in the class it is rated in

Favorite Trail:   any that go down

Purchased At:   Prodeal

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 3.1 to deemax, DP32, DP25, Spinergy Fall Line, Doublewide, Singletrack

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler, Lyrik, I9 with Syncros DS28, XTR cranks, Sram XO shifting, Maverick Speedball, King, Thomson, 720-745 bars, Juicy 7, Straitline Levers, lock ons, Blackspire bash and Stinger.

Submitted by OSM a Racer from Mountain view, Ca.

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2010

Strengths:    strength to weight. spoke holes eyeletted. width.

Weaknesses:    rim has grooves to bite into tire sidewall and prevent rotation under low pressure.

Bottom Line:
I chose this rim because a few of my friends use them for AM/Dh. It is extra stiff for 545g. As a front this rim lasted just over 6 months. Having raced Dh, hit some 6 ft drops and 30 ft doubbles the DS28 seemed like just the right strength to weight for me, untill I bent it in half. 10ft to flat was too much. I suggest use for AM or light freeride not downhill. This rim did eat holes around the bead of my tire(-1 chili for overall)and it's one of the worst tacos i've seen(-1 overall) I picked it up %50 off, but for msrp you can get a stronger rim that wont shew your tires up(-1 for value) Good rim if you get a deal. I don't know how they last for Dh?

Favorite Trail:   over there

Purchased At:   bti

Bike Setup:   Kona hardtail

Submitted by Boogie Man?s Nightmare a Cross Country Rider from Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Strengths:    strength, durability, weight, color

Weaknesses:    maybe price, but you pay for quality

Bottom Line:
Even under my 200 lbs. only one tiny truing done for whole season. Looking for pushing ´em harder this season ;)

Similar Products Used:   none - new to AM riding

Bike Setup:   RB Monster AM, Marzocchi AM1 SL with Fox Vanilla R shock, Syncros cockpit, Elixir CR, Sram X7, Syncros Rims with DT Swiss hubs

Submitted by dunno a Weekend Warrior from Windsor, Ont., Canada

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Very strong and yet very light.

Bottom Line:
These are the lightest, strongest rims around. I use them on my dj/street bike and they stay true and round even with smaller tires at low psi.

Purchased At:   got them used

Similar Products Used:   alex rims, sunringle, WTB etc.

Submitted by milkmanmarce a Downhiller from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Strengths:    Very strong and light

Bottom Line:
These are a light as Rhyno Lites AND are crazy strong. Been riding the SHore and Whistler for over a year and they have stayed true. Great product

Similar Products Used:   Sun Doubletrack

Bike Setup:   G-Spot, Lots of Race Face (cranks, cockpit) and XT drivetrain

Submitted by Cucucachu a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Strengths:    These are good rims! They are extremely stiff and because of the stiffness put less stress on individual spokes. They will not dent or ding very easily. The True Track does just that - keep the tire from moving. They've had no problems with the bead eating into the tire as I once read. I bought them because I like to use a very large front tire and these rims enable that.

Weaknesses:    The wheels don't lend well to a tubless conversion - I think because of the True Track. If you're okay with tubes - this is a winner. The white matt finish looks great when new, but next to impossible to keep clean - could use a gloss finish. The flat outter part of the bead intended to reduce pinch flats when using low pressure doesn't work with smaller tires (2.1)

Bottom Line:
If you're a freerider who's okay with tubes these are a great value. They'll hold a very large tire at low pressures very well, but not so good using low pressure on smaller size tires.
I weight 210 and ride very aggressive XC 4 times a week. I'll sometimes use a 2.1 Panaracer XC Fire Pro tire on the rear (a preference at home) and if not the proper pressure, it will pinch flat. I'm no pro or racer, and not nimble either. Where most may pick and choose their way through a rock garden, I'll plow through it at speed like a herd of elephants and let my suspension do the work.
I'd stick with these a little longer, but I want to go tubless and Stand's came out with the ZTR Arch in white. So I'm gonna order a set of those and have them laced in place if these Syncros.

To the designers at Syncos (if you read this): This is a great rim. Change the white to gloss and get rid of the True Track (so they can be converted to tubless). What ever you're doing to achieve ridity and metal hardness at this cost factor, don't change it.

Bottom line is these have an incredible stiffness to weight ratio. White matt finish is hard to clean. Not a good tubless conversion candidate. Very low price = great value!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Rims (the metal is too soft and subject to dents and dings)

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot, Fox 36 Talas, CK Hubs/headset, DT Spokes, Hope Minis, and XTR stuff.

Submitted by Haggis28 a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, England

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2008

Strengths:    Great rim very strong and lightweight built up on hope pro 2's had no problems with them so far

Weaknesses:    Nothing!!

Bottom Line:
If u want a good, strong ,reliable rim get syncros!

Favorite Trail:   Farmer Johns

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   mavic deetracks

Bike Setup:   Specialized sx trail

Submitted by davet a Weekend Warrior from British Columbia

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    Very light, look good, tires mount easily.

Weaknesses:    These rims are soft and don't hold up to abuse.

Bottom Line:
I bought these for downhill use, which is likely not what they are intened for. The seem to dent and flatspot easily even running higher pressure. Also they don't seem to work well running tubeless with Stans strips. The beads don't hold the tires well and I get random unexplained flats. I've run tubeless for 3 years on various different rims, these are the first rims that I've had issues with.

They would be a great rim for all mountain use, but not much more than that.

Similar Products Used:   Sun Singletrack, Mavic 721, Mavic 729, Alex Supra D

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2008

Strengths:    strong AND light, 545g, in the same ballpark as DT-Swiss 5.1D rims, oh, and they're strong

Weaknesses:    bead lock might hinder a tubeless conversion...

Bottom Line:
these rims are great. they work so well (also, the pro2 hubs are awesome) that I kept the wheels when I sold my previous bike and they are now on my Khyber.

I pinch flatted the rear tire at the bottom of Velocity at Mammoth, and had too much speed to slow down enough before the drop/step-down at the end of the trail. still went about 6 feet down off of the launch then rolled down the rest of the rocky landing and i got one flat spot about 1.5 cm long. i bottomed pretty hard too (still on my Jamis Dakar XLT back then). great rim.

Purchased At:   Ride-This

Similar Products Used:   wtb dual duty, wtb speed disc, alex supra bh

Bike Setup:   mongoose khyber elite, sysncros ds-28 rims laced to hope pro2 hubs, x9 drivetrain, stylo cranks

Submitted by Kyle Cramer a Racer from Orem, UT

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2007

Strengths:    Amazingly strong, light and pretty. The deep rim looks great, and these rims hold up to everything I've done! Including 5+ foot urban drops to flat concrete. They are strong. I run low pressure and hear the rims hitting rocks all the time and they stay true and strong

Weaknesses:    I didn't get the white ones.

Bottom Line:
Buy it, ride it, love it! There is not a better rim for light free riding/ all mountain riding anywhere!

Favorite Trail:   The face of Squaw

Purchased At:   Ritchey Logic USA

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 1, Saint build, Fox 36 - short travel freeride

Submitted by anthony from manila, philippines

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
the white rimms looks cool but they are very hard to maintain, needs constant cleaning as dirt and stains easily clings on the matt white surface.

Submitted by Travis Bickle a Weekend Warrior from Edmonsprawl, AB

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    This is an update to my previous review. I feel that the abuse I've been giving these hoops warrants an update. Still holding up amazingly well. I have been DH'ing on them and they remain round and true. I'm replacing them with 729's for DH only because I have the new rims figuring the DS28's would have not held up to the abuse they have seen

Weaknesses:    Tacky graphics, but they peeled off. I have got better at using regular length presta tubes in these tall rims.

Bottom Line:
Strong, relatively light, and cheap maybe KB was wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Overlander

Similar Products Used:   DT 5.1, Rhino Lites, etc...

Bike Setup:   06 Turner RFX

Submitted by Travis Bickle a Cross Country Rider from Edmonsprawl, Alberta

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2006

Strengths:    Strong and wide. Easy to get tires on and off.

Weaknesses:    A very tall rim it can be hard to find tubes with a long enough valve

Bottom Line:
I use these wheels for trips to the mountains, Moab, and a weeks worth of lift riding. They have held up very well under my 220 + gear. I use a 20mm through axle on the front and this setup steers very well in the rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Brandon Hills