Home | Reviews | Rim | Syncros

Syncros Altrax XLT Rim

3.05/5 (20 Reviews)
Weight : 435g

• Tabulate this. Three cavities. A twin-rib roll cage design. Custom built by Weinman. Yup. It adds up to 45% more torsional stiffness than any double-cavity rim in the world.
  • And stronger means lighter. Our 435g big'n' beefy is lighter, stronger and faster than any so-called high-performance twin-cavity rim.
  • Hyper-deep sidewalls and textured brake tracks yield deliver the enhanced braking power and increased strength when you’re riding like a bat out of hell.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by STEVE CAIRNS a Cross Country Rider from PERTH SCOTLAND

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Strengths:    HARDLY EVERY WENT OUT OF TRUE. BUILT PROPERLY BY J.M. RICHARDS.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    GOOD VALUE WHEN BUILT RIGHT.

Purchased At:   J.M. RICHARDS- PERTH

Similar Products Used:   MAVIC

Bike Setup:   SPECIALIZED FSR. SUNTOUR XC PRO 8 SPEED, S WORKS CRANKS, CONTROL TECH BARS. USE SEATPOST, SRAM V BRAKES

Submitted by Andrew O'Neil from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2001

Strengths:    Canadian Design (patriotic)
    Three Cavity stiffness and strength
    Tall sidewalls for easier brake setup

Weaknesses:    They could be a bit sitffer. (I weigh 180)

Bottom Line:
    I Found the wheelset online for only 119.00 US. They spent about 8 months on my beater, which I took on several rides in the mountains, intentionally giving them severe beatings, taking the roughest lines and jumping the occasional stump. I used the beater as a commuter over the winter, as expected, no problems. I true them regularly. I Don't have any complaints to be honest. I have about 2200 offroad km on them now, which is 500k longer than my last wheelset lasted. (ritchey rock 440's)(I am HARD on my components) I am running them on my Blizzard at the moment. They are stiffer than the Mavic x221's that the bike came with and generally perform better. Despite the bad reviews here, I trust these rims and reccomend them. I'll post a follow up at the end of next season.

Favorite Trail:   Prairie view

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Rithchey rock 440, Mavic 221

Bike Setup:   2000 Rocky Mountain Blizzard. Raceface, shimano XT. The wheels are handbuilt 3 cross with wheelsmith spokes, 1998 XT hubs.

Submitted by Colle MTB Nom de Plume a Weekend Warrior from Montreal

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Strengths:    Nil, Zip, Nadda

Weaknesses:    They dont last and the manufacutrer does not stand by their products

Bottom Line:
    Well the front rim blew out last weekend. Luckly this time at home after I swapped tyres. Although it caused some bowel loosening by those in the room at the time at least it did not mean a 5 mile walk home like last time.

The rear rim was crap, the front rim also crap. Still waiting for a response from Syncros. The true test of a company is when things go wrong and at this Syncros has failed dismially. Will never buy another Syncro product on principle, and would encourage others to do likewise.

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Tawainese, Sun Ryhno lite

Bike Setup:   XT Heckler

Submitted by KRAZEE man a Weekend Warrior from SASKATCHEWAN, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2000

Strengths:    Just an every day normal rim. I was in the local shop one day and I wanted to build a new wheelset. The clerk told me about these rims and they sounded good. After only riding them about one month they started to develop a mean brake studder. whenever I would put my front brake on it would shake like hell! Tried everything to fix them to no avail. Would not recomend these to anyone! They are junk!

Weaknesses:    Almost everything!

Bottom Line:
    I wish I had never bought these rims, I am currently trying to sell them on my wife's bike! Don't tell anyone!

Favorite Trail:   PEEGEE

Similar Products Used:   For some hardcore riding try some velocity's or rhyno lites, they may be a bit heavier but they take a thrashing!

Bike Setup:   Norco Team hardtail,XT, RACEFACE

Submitted by Cool MTB nom de Plume a Weekend Warrior from Montreal

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2000

Strengths:    Seem to stay true.

Weaknesses:    Wear out and fail quicker than the tires mounted on them

Bottom Line:
    Blew the sidewall out of the rear rim on the weekend. Whilst 3 year life may seem good at first glance, it is not when considering I have done 530 km on these things in that time! They did stay 100% true in that short time though.

Syncros web site does mention that rims do wear out like tires and tubes, but I would like my rims to last LONGER than my tire.

And yes, I have had problems getting on to Syncros for support.

Would give them zero chilis if I could.

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Tiwanese rims

Bike Setup:   97 XT Heckler with Judy XC fork.

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2000

Strengths:    Stay true through all sorts of punishment

Weaknesses:    Rim sidewalls can explode!!!

Bottom Line:
    I must admit, these rims took a battering for a season of XC racing without going out of shape, BUT, when riding along a nice stretch of sealed road my rear sidewall exploded!!
    Scared the crap out of me and very DANGEROUS!
    I am going to replace the front rim also for the fear of it happening again.

Favorite Trail:   Margaret River

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by Stu a Cross-Country Rider from Ottawa, Canda

Date Reviewed: November 10, 1999

Strengths:
    Price
    (was) Canadian

Weaknesses:
    weak - just didn't stand up

Bottom Line:
    These rims just didn't stand up. I caved three of them before learning, on technical but not gonzo riding. The sidewalls just didn't have enough strength to take any kind of lateral or tangential hits. I guess the price was too good to be true.

Reverse Powerline

1 Year

Mavic
    Sun

Kona

Submitted by pconover a Cross-Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: September 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
    Message for Eric notcanada@north.comHey Jackhole, next time you want to slag someone why not make it personal and leave a real e-mail address. Did you read the message?! Clearly you did't understand it...The point is I am a patriotic Canadian and would prefer to support a Canadian company and the Canadian economy - especially if it's the local bike industry. This is a flame on Syncros, because they produced a crappy product and are ignoring their responsibilities to me, their customer. My patriotism is not blind, I will only support a company if they support their products and their customers. And by the way, there is no such thing as a big Canadian bike company. Syncros started in a garage a few kilometres from me and they are not much bigger now. But I guess they decided they were too big to bother making quality products and earning customer satisfaction. That attitude is going to loose them reputation, loyalty and customers - fast!

3 months

Submitted by Eric a Cross-Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
    Let me get this straight! pconover below yells Buy Canadian and then procedes to tell us that Syncros (A big Canadian bikes parts manufacturer) stuff sucks. Am I missing something here???? Duh, can you say Dumbass!!!!

tested or demo'ed only

Submitted by pconover a Cross-Country Rider from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1999

Strengths:
    Price
    Machined brake surface
    Buy Canadian!

Weaknesses:
    Quality control

Bottom Line:
    I shelled out for a premium build on this front wheel. What a waste of money...
    The machined braking surface is not true and causes dangerous braking judder. I have tried this wheel on both of my bikes with different brake technology and get the same effect. It has been cleaned, buffed, and re-inspected by the wheelbuilder. It is still unusable. Left it on my commuter and rode it about 10 times, on recent inspection discovered the caliper carrier on my front brake is now cracked through, I figure the stress caused by this bad rim is at fault. It stays off my bikes until I get some satisfaction from Syncros... Yeah, right!I have received ZERO customer service from Syncros. E-mail and phone messages have not been responded to. Have these guys gone out of business, or what? Maybe they should be! So much for supporting the local guy. Too bad - Syncros used to make good products. I will not be buying another product from them, EVER!

A River Runs Through It

3 months

Mavic 231, 217
    Matrix Lobos
    Araya

Trek ST-120 (Easton frame Aluminum Y-bike)
    Norco Rampage

Submitted by Jaz from outerspace

Date Reviewed: March 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

Hi! I've had these rims on my hardtail for almost 2 years- no bulls**t!
    i'm 210 and ride hard XC and they can take anything i can roll them over.
    They are great!

Submitted by Jaz a cross-country rider from outerspace

Date Reviewed: March 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

Hi! I've had these rims on my hardtail for almost two years- no bullshit!
    im 210 and ride hard XC and I think they are great. They hold up to anything
    can ride over!

Submitted by Smiker a cross-country rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 26, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had this rim on the rear built up with wheelsmith spokes for about 2 months so far. It hasn't needed truing yet, but neither has the XLR I've had on the front for 6 months. I think this is because they are an old production, so they're lasting well. I ride rocky and rooty trails, I'd like to think I do it fast too. So anyway, I've had really good luck with my 2 syncros products, and I would recommend them for XC stuff. Probably not for jumping and so on, but who knows. I don't jump heaps, just when I need to. So anywho, if you've got a good wheel builder, maybe you should give these a go.

Submitted by I´m a freerider and a racer from FINLAND = FINELAND

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have both SYNCROS rims, but this one in back. So I am very satisfied after using this rim, it is last big bumbs and high jumps and I think if this rim won´t last under your ass (not for DH-guys), change your rim maker!!!P.S. IF YOU NEED EVERLASTING QUALITY PARTS USE SYNCROS, NO OTHER
    WHAT EVER DAVE MACKI SAYS, HE MIGHT HAVE USER PROBLEMS!!!

Submitted by Dave Macki a cross-country rider from Ottawa, Ont

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

Total Crap as with all Syncros products. I had the XLT on for a rear wheel for only three months and the sidewall are starting to cave in. Completely unacceptable product. To give you an idea of how poor Syncros products are consider my following list of failed Syncos products;- stem (can't keep a headset tight)- seat post - an insult to me as a consumer. To charge so much for such a lousy product is irratating. Broke the 7000 series post after 3 months (and I ride a full suspension bike). BTW - nice glued in seat holder (total sarcasm).- rims - front just caved in today after 1 season of riding and the back caved in after only 3 months of rding. Hey Syncros thanks for wasting my cash on your rims + the money to have the wheels built up.- met a guy on the trail and he has had nothing but trouble with his Synros rear hub.I hope Syncros realizes that it is very easy to spread the word of how poor their products are.
    As my friend the leprachaun says;Don't buy Syncros ever again Davey boy - never again