Home | Reviews | Rim | Syncros

Syncros Altrax XLR Rim

2.24/5 (29 Reviews)
Weight : 400g

• Tabulate this. Three cavities. A twin-rib roll cage design. Custom built by Weinman. Yup. It adds up to 45% more torsional stiffness than any double-cavity rim in the world.
  • And stronger means lighter. Our 400g superlight XLR is lighter, stronger and faster than any so-called high-performance twin-cavity rim.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Dirk a Racer from Hohensyburg, NRW, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2003

Strengths:    light, no weaknesses

Weaknesses:    -

Bottom Line:
    My sponsor had an nos pair of syncros rims, he build it up with white brothers titanium hubs. I have used them at 3 XC-races, and had no problems at all. I don't know why so many people have problems with this rims, I don't have any kind of problems even though I weight 75 kg, and I think I´m a powerful raider (I'm a not so bad track sprinter).

Favorite Trail:   Dolomites

Purchased At:   0

Similar Products Used:   Campa K2 / XTR ; Mavic Ceramic / XTR

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar LE/ XTR / Syncros

Submitted by Nick Griffiths a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    Looked ok in the shop

Weaknesses:    performance, quality etc

Bottom Line:
    Extreme front wheel judder under braking renders it almost useless. I too thought it was the RS fork which was worn, & replaced it with a new marzocchi. Problem still as bad as ever. Now run the wheel on a fully rigid bike with project 2
    forks. Judder problem persisted. The only way I could improve it was to sand the braking surface smooth with finishing paper under the brake blocks to remove the peaks & troughs. this has helped & made the front wheel just about useable. Do not buy wheels with syncros rims.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Kendells Cycles Castleford

Similar Products Used:   mavic 217/517/crossride

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar xt hubs, dt db spokes

Submitted by Doug Payauys a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight.

Looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Strength - Rim split at the seam while inflating. Even after working in a bike shop for 6 years, I've never seen anything like it.

True - Hard to keep this rim straight.

Braking surface - Very rough, eats pads and holds brake pad material on the rim. Flecks of aluminum imbed into the brake pads and score the rim.

Bottom Line:
    I can't believe after reading all the rim failure reviews on this site that Syncros has not issued a recall. It is quite clear to me that Syncros does not stand behind their products and certainly doesn't spend much time with engineering / R&D if this is the best they can produce.

DON'T BUY THIS RIM. I attempted to contact Syncros about the problem buy they did not respond to my inquiry about a replacement or my offer to send them the rim to look at. Sooner or later, someone is going to get seriously injured as a result of this inferior product.

HERE'S THE PROOF: http://www.mindspring.com/~ydouglas/syncros/

Favorite Trail:   Snowshoe, WV

Similar Products Used:   Sun CR-18
    Mavic (many types)

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Hiawase

Submitted by MAT MULLEN a Cross Country Rider from SHEFFIELD IN UNITED KINGDOM

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2000

Strengths:    QUITE LIGHT & RESONABLY PRICED

Weaknesses:    VERY BENDABLE

Bottom Line:
    THIS RIM WAS A DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR MY MAVIC 217 WHICH SPLIT COS IT WORE OUT. IT WAS REBUILT ONTO THE ORIGINAL 97 PARRALAX SHIMANO XT HUB. IT HAS GONE OUT OF TRUE A FEW TIMES MORE THAN THE MAVIC 217. BUT AFTER READING SOME OF THE REVIEW POSTED I CAN ONLY CONCLUDE THAT THIS RIM IS CACK (THATS BRITISH FOR RUBBISH). THIS IS THE ONLY RIM THAT I HAVE MANAGED TO DENT NOT ONCE, TWICE BUT I MUST BE IN DOUBLE FIGURES. OK, I COULD BEND IT BACK BUT THATS NOT THE POINT. TO BE FAIR IT HAS WORN OK BUT I HAVE ONLY PUT ABOUT 600+ MILES ON IT. SO I WOULDNT BUY ANOTHER, BACK TO MAVIC I SUPPOSE.

Similar Products Used:   MAVIC 217

Bike Setup:   HARDTAIL

Submitted by Andrew a Cross-Country Rider from Waterloo, ON

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1999

Strengths:
    These rims look great on paper

Weaknesses:
    I have the rim vibration problem described by others, I tried different types of brakes, and replaced the bushings in my forks before realizing that the problem was in the rims the whole time. The variation in rim width was subtle enough to go undetected while building, but it really shakes the front end of the bike when braking moderately, or on loose descents.

Bottom Line:
    The vibrations when braking are an unacceptable manufacturing defect, but if they fix that problem, its been true, and stong enough for me (135lbs).

the hydrocut

6 months

I liked my MAVIC 217 on the rear, and I had a BCX 1 up front, both were great for the light rider that I am (217 may have even been overkill)

I built the front 2-cross, and ran it on a long travel mag-21 (still a kick-ass fork!)

Submitted by Steve Boyd a Cross-Country Rider from New Brunswick , Canada

Date Reviewed: October 13, 1999

Strengths:
    lace up nice
    weight(if it matters}

Weaknesses:
    too weak for aggressive or larger riders

Bottom Line:
    I should have known better than to try to build a light set of wheels for myself since I weigh 200+ lbs after a toenail clipping.I destroted the rear rim in 3 rides.If you want a second set of wheels to put slicks on for road spinning than these work nice.Just don't take them past the rubarb patch.2 slightly used , smoldering tampons.

Backyard Noonan

less than 1 month

Mavic,Ritchey,others

Heckler,XTR,Bomber

Submitted by BOB WOLF a Cross-Country Rider from OCEANSIDE,CA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1999

Strengths:
    LIGHT WEIGHTDURABLE

Weaknesses:
    QUALITY CONTROL?

Bottom Line:
    BOUGHT A PAIR AND LACED THEM TO A SET OF WTB HUBS TO REPLACE A PAIR OF AGING MAVIC 230'S THAT HAD REACHED THE END OF THEIR LIFE SPAN. I HAD TO REPLACE THE FRONT RIM AFTER ABOUT A MONTH OF RIDING. IT DEVELOPED A GASH IN THE SIDE WALL. THIS HAPPEN WHILE I WAS STATIONED IN GUANTANAMO BAY , CUBA. THE TRAILS THERE ARE VERY ROCKY AND THE GASH OCCURED DURING A FAST DOWN HILL PORTION. SYCNCROS WAS QUICK TO SEND ME A NEW ONE. THEY SAID THEY HAD SOME QUALITY CONTROL PROBLEMS. I HAVEN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE AND HAVE SEVERAL THOUSAND MILES ON THEM. MY COMPUTER JUST CLICKED 8000. 5 STARS FOR THE ONES I GOT AND 4 STARS FOR THE QUALITY CONTROL PROBLEM.

2 Years

MAVICRITCHY

CANNONDALE M700 WITH SOFTRIDE SUSP STEM AND USE SUSP SEAT POST

Submitted by Danilo Souza a Cross-Country Rider from Brazil

Date Reviewed: May 30, 1999

Strengths:
    Light rim, and looks good

Weaknesses:
    the sidewall blew off...

Bottom Line:
    This is a beautiful rim, but it´s too weak. The sidewall is soft, and broke when I was at 10 mph, climbing in the city street. Sorry Syncros, I´ll go to mavic.

anyone

Mavic (way better)

KHS cromo HT

Submitted by Timur a Racer from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1999

Strengths:
    light weight and good looks

Weaknesses:
    disappearing sidewalls
    the whole front end vibrates when braking

Bottom Line:
    I have expected the sidewalls to wear rather quickly. It is the vibrations that bug me. I built up the rims with CK hubs and have almost stoped using the front wheel because of the vibrations (I think it is bad for the fork). So now I'm using an alivio hub laced to a cheap rigida rim and the setup is working a million times better. When I get some money I'll look to replace the syncros rims with something else. They still make good seatposts and stems.

Velocity Aeroheat

Cannondale hardtail with a Manitiou SXTi.
    Avid brakes w. Corratec pads.

Submitted by jon myers a racer from portland, OR

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1999

Bottom Line:

Terrible rim. I could not keep this thing true from the first day I had this rim. After about 1 year of constant truing of this rim, I destroyed it with a hard hit on a sharp rock. Replaced the rim with a Bontrager Maverick which has worked perfectly.

Submitted by BrodieLover a cross-country rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: February 11, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have never ever seen such a poor product! I've been riding m'bikes for about 10 years, so I tried several makes and types of rims. I thought that every Syncros product was high quality......not! After less than3 months (with less then 500 KM ) the whole rim exploded together with the tube and tire! Guarentee...no of courese not. The only Syncros product I will still buy in the future are their seatposts.
    I was using quite a lot of components (rev' cranks,3 seatposts and one racestem).It's very sad that a company like Syncros sells products of this quality. A few years ago Syncros (also Rocky Mountain cycles) was a great company with almost bombproof parts. Last 2 years some idiot over there got the idea to make some new things, very cheap and poor quality QR's, an total ugley XTR-collored stem (Yuk,Yuk, Yuk), their new type of stem (I saw one with the bar on one side 10 cm higher then on the other side, so weak are they) and at last; the poorest rim ever produced.To tell all above in short;NEVER EVER BUY A SYNCROS RIM!!! THEY WEAR FASTER THEN ANYTHING ELSE.

Submitted by Damon Fealy a cross-country rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had these rims on for around 5 months now, and haven't had any problems. Perhaps I got an earlier product? Light with minimal truing required, and a joy to ride on. Set up with 14/15g Sapim spokes on XT Parallax hubs, hitting lots of logs and things....

Submitted by Duncan Maxwell a cross-country rider from Edmonton, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

Okay, the scoop as I understand it is as follows. The rims break, The new rims break. But then again you can't even BUY the new rims in Canada. Trust me, I spent 4 months trying to get them and got no answer from the supplier to our bike shop as to why they were unavailable.Im running an XLT rear wheel, radial on non drive side and 3x on the drive...so far no problems, its been easy to bring back into true and generally a solid performer. Admittedly its not as bulletproof as my old Mavic MA-40, but at the same time at least I can get my damn tires on and off (Mavic MA-40 was quite possibly the skinniest rim I've ever laid eyes on....next to some Matrix ones). So, thus far theres been no problem with the XLT I have, although it is OLD...as in it was laying around the shop forever, and its also 36 hole.As to the new rims, Id say check with your shop as to when they got the rim. If it arrived recently don't buy it and suggest they contact the supplier of the rim or Syncros directly in regards to returning it. At this point I could only reccomend the old rims, and I think everyone else that has posted a review is in agreement. Buyer beware on these puppies. If you want a rim like this, buy the Mavic 517. If you cant afford that Buy a Bontrager Mustang or even a Matrix swami, both are about 30 bucks cheaper in Canada, and I havent had problems with either one (they're the same damn rim actually.....). Just be sure to get the one with Eyelets.So, in summary, old rims: 5 stars. one nice rim, and cheap too.
    New ones, see below, and for goodness sake DON'T buy them!

Submitted by Truly Canadian a cross-country rider from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

The first production from Weinmann was truly the best that Syncros has seen since. After this run, the quality control really sucked with rims that could simply not trued. The seams have always been average, a by-product of being a pinned rim. When they went to machined sidewalls, the rims just got worse with the awful variations is rim width causing the rim grabbing endo death. New production was supposed to come from Alesa in Belgium but now the word is that Alesa isn't interested in dealing with Syncros. One the bright side, I had a bundle of 14 of the original production and have built up a bunch of wheels that have lasted and lasted through the best and worst of conditions. I even rode one downhill tireless after flatting 3kms from the car and the rim is dead straight.

Submitted by Nutty a racer from Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Syncros Altrax rim... Oooer.. it looked so sexy in the shop.
    All black and nice,.. and it matched my frame!
    Wow! On the bike it looked even better. I was so happy!!
    And it was *so* cool the way it only lasted four friggin months.
    I was surprised :(
    I have *NEVER* seen such a quality RIM from any *QUALITY* company blow apart *so* often.
    It's happened twice now - the rim blowing off the sidewall. It's gotta shit ya.
    The rim does wear evenly when you ride 10kms back up the hill minus a front tyre.