Home | Reviews | Rim | Sun

• WEIGHT: 350g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by carnub a Cross Country Rider from Hungary

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    My rear wheel cracked all around the middle on the inside. I noticed that the brakes were jolting for about 2 weeks. I stopped when I got a puncture and I was very worried when I saw what I'd been riding. I only rode on these for 6 months at 50-60 psi and mostly on the road. I don't jump, and not an agressive rider. I'm going for DT Swiss replacements.

Bottom Line:
    Dangerous

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 717, stronger Sun rims

Bike Setup:   Cube, mostly XT, bits of XTR

Submitted by k-fed a Cross Country Rider from leesburg, VA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2009

Strengths:    stays true through pretty much anything

Weaknesses:    a little bit narrow,

Bottom Line:
    the rim i have is great, i just read about the rims cracking, i will check mine tomarow morning but they hold up fine

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   cheap wheelsets

Submitted by someone a Cross Country Rider from Cluj-Napoca, Romania, EU

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    week

Bottom Line:
    I'm 65kg. My rims crack same right under the rim strip, and start to separate. So it's dangerous! I uset with 50-60 PSI.

Bike Setup:   full suspension

Submitted by cro-mo man a Cross Country Rider from Sherwood, Ark.

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2008

Strengths:    Light, fast, strong, look cool. I ride mostly hardpack with rocks and roots and the UFO's always take me there and back.

Weaknesses:    Haven't encountered any.

Bottom Line:
    I thoroughly recommend these rims for anyone who rides xc. I haven't jumped any cars or sh%t like that so can't comment on insanity.

Favorite Trail:   rock n' roll

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   some stock Alex rims

Bike Setup:   Schwinn steel hardtail

Submitted by Robert a Racer from Santa Barbara, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2007

Strengths:    Light. Stay true.

Weaknesses:    They break in half.

Bottom Line:
    I'm only 160 pounds, and I only do XC. Anything more than an 18" drop is an accident. But I've now broken 4 of these rims, in exactly the same way. (2+2, bought about a year apart, from different stores) They crack right under the rim strip, and start to separate. When you start to feel a bumpiness in the breaks, pull off the tire and take a look. You'll see a crack right down the middle, under the strip. If you run disks, you might not even notice until they literally break in half.

I liked them while they worked. They're light, fairly cheap, and they somehow stay true, even after they crack. But I can't give a higher rating because they're dangerous.

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything made for XC since the 80's.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Owl Hollow, White Brothers fork, GT-Hadley hubs.

Submitted by JmZ a Cross Country Rider from Northern Indiana

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2006

Strengths:    Light, True, Reasonable Priced

Bottom Line:
    Easy to build. Built up after tacoing the previous rim.

Light (came in at around 370 grams or so), been plenty durable for general trail riding under my 200 pound butt, and it's only needed a spoke wrench once or twice.

For the intended application (and a bit more) it's held up well. I wouldn't do a dowhill race on it, but for general trail riding (XC work), it's held up fine.

By now there are lighter rims out there, but don't know if I'd trust those for my weight and riding.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking - Suggestions?

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Sun Sub IV, Mavic's, Bontrager Valiant

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Fuego

Submitted by josh a Cross Country Rider from nevada city, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    stay true for a long time, very light, look cool, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    not very strong

Bottom Line:
    these rims are awsome and very light, i definately recommend them for the cross country rider. i had to get a new one because i ruined mine in a race when i flatted and didn't want to fix it, so i just kept ridding. that was okay though because they don't cost a fortune!!

buy these rims.

Favorite Trail:   pioneer trail

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   alex rims dh20's(don't buy)

Bike Setup:   custom frame, xt hubs, double butted spokes, ec90 handlebar, stock stem, stock seatpost, lx shifters, xt rear derailleur, lx front derailleur, forte saddle, ufo rims

Submitted by Warren Claflin a Cross Country Rider from St. Paul, MN USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Strengths:    Light, durable, stay true

Weaknesses:    a bit narrow but that's what you get when buying some of the lightest rims on the market

Bottom Line:
    I have no clue how anyone can say that these rims are weak. I'm a 220 lb rider and have ridden these rims over everything (log piles, rock gardens, through streams, etc) and raced with them and so far for over a year I'm yet to need to true these rims. I'd recommend that anyone looking to buy new rims to stop looking any further.

Favorite Trail:   lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   Bikes 2 You

Similar Products Used:   stock rims

Bike Setup:   does it matter? XT hubs, DT Swiss double butted spokes, UFO rims etc

Submitted by bob lafarge a Weekend Warrior from VAN North shore

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2005

Strengths:    look cool

Weaknesses:    not that stong, heavy, just not FUN

Bottom Line:
    Dont buy these horrible rims fall apart not worth your Money they dont hold up. I am just a messendger i wish to warn u they will fall apart

Favorite Trail:   CBC

Purchased At:   90

Similar Products Used:   double tracks, mag 30, double wide

Bike Setup:   Brodie Demon

Submitted by matt miller a Racer from Nazareth, PA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2004

Strengths:    look cool, have black sidewalls so they look better with doscs

Weaknesses:    my sticker is starting to come off

Bottom Line:
    well lets just say the combination of these rims, 14/15 spokes, and wtb hubs, all in black of course, these rims rule. lightwieght, perty, and i dont remember how much they cost so that must be a good thing. Here's the story:....
    Mid-Atlantic Super Series race 10:
    so i need to place good in this race to take the series. everythings going good until i flat in the front. no prob..i have stans notubes. i whip out my pump, fill her up and im off again. final lap:about 2 or so miles left, the second flat comes, this time the tire comes off the rim. i wont be able to put it back on so i start to run. i get passed and move into third. forget this this i thought, im ridin! i wrap my tire around my handlebars and ride. these rims are good, but they dont track through the rock gardens like my wildgrippers. how good are they?? let's just say that to this day i haven't touched them with anything but some sandpaper to remove some burrs. ohh yeah, in another race some dude crashed into me and bent my rear rim but all was well as it trued right up.
    buy these rims if you want to be cool

Favorite Trail:   by the jersey shore..i forget the name

Purchased At:   Curt's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   ive used a few rims

Bike Setup:   nrs, xtr stuff, skareb super, magura martas, other wight weenieish stuff

Submitted by Graham a Weekend Warrior from Madison, OH, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2004

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Looks, Little Flex.

Weaknesses:    None untill you Hit a six foot Free-ride.

Bottom Line:
    IT's a great Rim, I bought them from the Demo specials at Jensons Laced to LX Hubs, There Sweet Rims for the trail and held up to quite a lot but I should never have Done that free-ride. So I retired those Awesome wheels to my XC Bike and bought Some F519 Laced to Disc XT For my Free-riding,. IF your looking for some tough XC rims, these fit into that catagory with extreme smoothness.

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   Mavic f519s, WTBs, Rhyno Lites, Mavic 517s.

Bike Setup:   FSA, Chris King, XTR, Manitou Black Elite, Avid TI, Ea70, Hardtail.

Submitted by todd a Weekend Warrior from lakewood, co

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2003

Strengths:    great rim, light, durable

Bottom Line:
    Great deal on a rim

Im 220 and ride hard, it has not been out of tru once