Home | Reviews | Rim | Sun

Sun Rims Sub IV Rim

Sun Rims Sub IV

Submitted by taxonomy a Weekend Warrior from Northampton

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, bombproof

Weaknesses:    hard to change tires. Tight fit for tires.

Bottom Line:
I've had these rims on many bikes over the years and I've never had to true them much, they are quite light and they have always been reliable.

I've run them on hardtails and full suspension bikes. I change frames every couple of years, but I keep components forever.

Sun makes good quality rims, right here in America, and these are as good as any rim you can buy.

I cannot say much about he initial braking surface on these rims as I must've had them for over 10 years now. They break as good as any rim I have now.

If you can find these rims now, they usually go for cheap. Buy them.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Tom

Purchased At:   unknown

Similar Products Used:   many, many other rims.

Bike Setup:   various

Submitted by Eric from NorCal

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Strengths:    Weight and price.

Weaknesses:    A little flimsy. Wish they were wider so I could get a bigger footprint.

Bottom Line:
I hand built these wheels with XT disc hubs and DT 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes with alloy nipples. I've never weighed the wheelset, but it should be pretty lite. I have over 1500 miles on these hoops and they are still very straight. I weigh close to 200# and ride XC. About half the time i am riding hard and occasionally hitting small airs on the trail. These hoops are still quite true. I do throw them on the truer every few hundred miles or after trying to impress my lady with a little style.

Favorite Trail:   Top Secret

Purchased At:   ?Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list, but nothing special. I've been riding mtb's for 22 years.

Bike Setup:   Dawg Primo. Built up at home. Wheels are XT hubs and DT 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2005

Strengths:    * Cheap
* Eyelets
* Light weight
* Anno sidewall for disc compatibility

Weaknesses:    * Hard to change tires
* Not tubeless
* Not ideal for rim brakes due to slippery annodized sidewall
* A little hard to build completely true due to a little flatspot at the pinned joint, unnoticable while riding.

Bottom Line:
These are very good rims for the price. If you are looking to get started with wheelbuilding, I recommend trying these rims. If you screw up, you're only out some time and very little $$. If you do a good job, you'll end up with a decent medium-end wheelset for a bargain basement price.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221

Bike Setup:   1999 Diamondback XR4

Submitted by johnny hack a Weekend Warrior from T.O.

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2005

Strengths:    * light
* cheap

Weaknesses:    * almost impossible to change tires (some tires take a lot of work)
* sketch brake track (in wet conditions)

Bottom Line:
They suck in the rain. I have only ridden in the rain once with them and I wouldn't want to be in the woods to find out how they brake when wet.

Very difficult to change tires. But for $69 with LX hubs they rock. ($15 OE each from Jenson right now).

Great as a second set of rims (ones that dont require you to change the tires quickly). When tensioned correctly would be great off-road rims.

Favorite Trail:   Toxic forest

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   mavic, araya,

Bike Setup:   03 Kona Lava Dome (with King and XTR stickers)

Submitted by JmZ a Cross Country Rider from Northern Indiana

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2004

Strengths:    Light
Strong enough for my 200 lbs and disc

Bottom Line:
Got a pair of these as bare rims from E-Bay. As advertised, round, true, and under 395.

Can't say that always of their competition. Had a claimed 375 Bontrager Valiant weigh in at 434. Oops. Some other Sun rims within about 5%, and a WTB claimed at 410g at 455g.
Been riding the rim for several months, still don't need to put a spoke wrench on it. True and light. Running the rim with disc brakes.

It is almost a forgotten part, probably the best compliment I can give.

Favorite Trail:   Still Looking - Any Suggestions

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Valiant, Mavic 517, Other Sun Rims, WTB Rims

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Fanatic - Rebuilt

Submitted by Yer ma a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    For the money, this rim is relatively light and tough.

Weaknesses:    You CANNOT get tires off/on this rim without 2 friends, 8 tire levers, 6 beers, and a ball-peen hammer.

Bottom Line:
I have mixed feelings here. For the money, this is a great rim ($130 machine built on XT hubs). After the initial break-in on the rear wheel I had them trued and they haven't budged at all in the last year. It's a good rim for recreational cross country. Too heavy for racing, probably, and if you get a flat you're totally screwed since it's such a pain to get the tires off and on (I've heard most Sun rims are like this). I guess I like them a lot as a rim for my beater bike as long as I forget that I will have to change the tires eventually.

Ratings are docked a point each for the tire change problem.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA, I think

Similar Products Used:   Some Araya piece o' poo.

Bike Setup:   Old crappy hardtail with new components. The rims are on XT hubs.

Submitted by joseph aagaard a Cross Country Rider from Marietta, Ga, 30062

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2002

Strengths:    Lighter than most wheelsets regardless of price. (measured with my trusty two hand scale)

Weaknesses:    hmm the seem, or weld whatever it is, is not smoothe. If the wheel happens to be in the right spot when I brake I get brick wall like stoping power for an instant...

Bottom Line:
I must be a really smoothe rider because I've ridden on these alot and have only trued them twice. I weigh 180 and could care less what I run over on the trail. (as well as curbs on the road) Well if you can get them for $120 or bellow for the set I would jump on them. They're pretty light and hold up well. (lx hubs)

Favorite Trail:   Chickopee

Purchased At:   super go? not sure

Similar Products Used:   Something really heavy my friend lent me...

Bike Setup:   GT frame these wheels lx/xt and various parts bumbed from friends

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    Light and very durable

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
A great set of rims. Very light. I have raced eight 50km X-country races, one 24hr endurance (four person team), and over 240hrs of road work (with slicks) and 96hrs of weekend free-rides on these rims. I have trued them eight times in the last two years. Usually whenever I notice the tension in the spokes not being 100% - but never a case of a wobble in the rim.

The local mechanic is really good at truing. When he's finished with the wheels, they hum! Tight as a fiddle.

Even though I ride a F/S bike, I still practice finesse in the trail (ie. choose best line, rarely let the bike simply hammer over fallen trees, etc). I believe this contributes a lot to the longevity of the rims.

I have complete faith in my wheels.
Best rims I have ever owned.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   K2 OZx. Shimano XT hubs, telescopic K2 SMART fork, XT derailers, Avid brakes.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from DC

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Strengths:    Extremely light, sturdy (so far)

Weaknesses:    Limited uses. A little slippery when braking in the wet stuff.

Bottom Line:
I built this guy up to replace an aging stock front wheel on my FSR. It cut a lot of weight where I needed it, without losing too much stiffness. I wouldn't trust this rim as a rear wheel, but up front on a suspension bike seems reasonable. Haven't trued for 600 miles past break-in.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Low end mavics.

Bike Setup:   Used on front wheel with a Ringle SOB hub, 28 DT Comp spokes, and a Michelin Wildgripper Comp S tire. Lite!

Submitted by wilbur a Cross Country Rider from chico,ca

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    light, black

Weaknesses:    buttery soft

Bottom Line:
These are definitely light. I noticed the dif over my stock 237 mavics. Bought them online and rebuilt with some better hubs I had around.
I noticed a screwy rear brake feel so I figured it was time for truing. Took the tire off and the rim was caved in, along with a nice dent. The scary part is, you can bend them right back with a crescent wrench. Did not notice anything unusual on the ride. Trails here are rocky but the 237's have been going for years.
At least these are light.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   mavic

Submitted by Alacritter a Weekend Warrior from Alabama

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Strengths:    the price and the weight are light. I've never heard of a Sun rim developing cracks. They're also a little bit wider than some other XC rims I've used in the past, which might be good for running wide tires.

Weaknesses:    These boogers are soft! They attract dings and flatspots like no other rim I've used

Bottom Line:
When I brought the spokes up to tension (airbomb gave me a great deal on the wheels, but they were unevenly built, as if the builder forgot to finish the build), I could vaguely see waves in the brake track. (Clue #1 that these rims are soft.) The tension is the same that I've always used to build wheels. I guess a little bit of waviness is better than getting cracks, though.

The joint isn't too smooth. Being that they're soft rims, a few trips through mud seem to have smoothed out the joint somewhat. The joint quickly becomes a moot point when you start acquiring some real brake track damage...

It doesn't take much to put a nasty ding in the sidewalls (even before you wear through the brake track), or to flatspot these rims. They're soft enough that I have bent most of the dings back into shape, but the sidewall still flares out at the inside of some dings (weird, never had another rim with quite that tendency). If you get a snakebite flat on these rims, you can pretty well bet your arse that you have also done some damage to the rims. You get no nice suprises with this rim. You don't get a hidden bargain here.

Mine have always been laterally true (that's got little to do with the quality of the rim and everything to do with the quality of the build), but they're in sad shape. I keep using them because I'm cheap, and the tire hasn't blown out the sidewall yet.

I was hoping to get a rim equivalent to a 517 with less attention paid to the finishing and joining, but that is certainly not the case in reality. Compared to every other rim I've used, the sidewalls are too soft. Even though they were extra cheap, I wish I'd sprung for something higher up the food chain. I'm giving them 2 chilis overall for being cheap like me, heh

Favorite Trail:   anything with long climbs

Purchased At:   airbomb as a wheelset

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 517, 138, 231, 230

XT hubs, 14/15 spokes w/ brass nipples
Rider=140 pound commuter boy

Submitted by Andre Swift a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    Very light. Performs well. Nothing much to complain about.

Weaknesses:    the braking track seemed a little smooth, but after using a little steel wool on them... they're just great.

Bottom Line:
I am 185lbs and have trued these only twice and I ride on and off road with these wheels, and even race with no complaints. So, I guess it's a matter of what you like. These are great for first timers or those looking for a good back up wheel. With my bike setup (weighing in at 23.4lbs) I am happy. I do jumps with these, go over large rocks (and the occasional tree)... no prob, still intact. I recommend them, but if you are doing trials or heavy downhill, these won't do for you. I give them a smokin (5) chilis!

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221

Bike Setup:   3.8lb Nashbar frame, all Shimano Xt components,Easton EA70 straight bar, Thompson stem, Cane Creek Headset, Manitou SX-R shocks, Mythos XC tires

Submitted by George Mason a Weekend Warrior from Cornwall, Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Strengths:    Holding up to the punishment that i give them

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
I read the other reviews and noticed that many of the other reviews complained about the stregnth of the rims. I got mine with the XT disc brake, so maybe thats the difference but I think that it is more the machanic that put the brake and rim on the bike. Before puting it on the bike he loosened of all the spokes and retensioned them, then he had me come back a week later and he retensioned the spokes again. I weigh 180 lbs lean as close to freeride as my bike will let me and have had zero problems with rim.

I sugest that if you get these rims that you do the same thing.

Favorite Trail:   Bromont