Home | Reviews | Rim | Sun

3.68/5 (19 Reviews)

sun rims rhyno

Submitted by volvo_manny a Downhiller from Perth, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    Strength
Price
Can use rim brakes (not too sure if its an advantage though)

Weaknesses:    Weight @ 770grams they are heavy for XC

Bottom Line:
Ive had 2 sets of these. I have built with cheap RST/Formula hubs with no name spokes (i got them at a good price) and they sucked they needed continuous retruing.. I bought another set of the rims and laced them to Dice Hoodoo hubs with DT wiss spokes and haven't had any issues in 3 years of having them. (I weigh 240Lbs)

Strong Rim when built correctly. Ridden 4 cross, DH and FR on these rims. Strong as anything when built with quality spokes.(DT Swiss/Spiam) by a real wheel builder.

NOTE: Ryhno's are different to Ryhno's LITE/ LITE XL (welds, eyelets etc.) so half of the reviews above are wrong.

Similar Products Used:   Dice SMO, ZAC 19, Sun Mammoths, Mavic XM117 Disc

Bike Setup:   to hard to describe.

Submitted by Robert McGregor from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2007

Strengths:    - Super cheap price
- Rim brake useable
- Perfect beginner rim
- Light weight

Weaknesses:    - Not sutible for trials riding, not even close
- cheap construction

Bottom Line:
These rims are great for begginers. If your too timid to hit the big jumps then you wont bend them. If you do you get to learn how to true a wheel!
As far as trials are concerned, just dont bother. Back hoping and a some 4 and 5 foot drops onto concreat have ravaged mine. I sould be fair though and say that I have the 32 spoke model. Perhaps the 34 spokes are better?
In my experience having to true my wheels after every time I go out is unacceptible. The back of my mind thoughs of damaging them while riding (perticularly onto concrete ledges) take away from the joy of trials. That said if your young, light and you want to learn as much as possable about bike mantinence. Or if your just cheap like me I say go fo it!

Favorite Trail:   hydro hill in St Catharines

Purchased At:   jensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Azonic outlaw, mavic crossride, alixrims DH24

Bike Setup:   Planet x pitbull frame
- Rigid fork
- HS33 hydrolic rim brakes
- FSA Pounder crank
- lots of other stuff irelivent to this review

Total bike weight ----> 30 + lbs

Submitted by Mike Roberts a Cross Country Rider from Los Gatos, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2006

Strengths:    Man, I'm comming in at about 215 lbs, and I was riding a hardtail. These rims went through some serous abuse, smashed them over logs, rocks you name it and nothing would effect them. They are bomb-proof.

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
When the rims on my new bike go, I waste no time in buying a pair. Looking for a great rim, rynolite are the ones for you.

Favorite Trail:   Sawpit

Purchased At:   Summit

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Wellington,Fl

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2006

Strengths:    great strength, good looks

Weaknesses:    weighs more than standard xc rims

Bottom Line:
These rims are matched with xt hubs and they have the most strenght and rolling resistence of any rims I've tried. It has been about several months since I bought them and they have taken abuse. They are still true and still rolling.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   bontrager select, wtb dual duty

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin SS

Submitted by Nikola D a Downhiller from Vancouger BC Kanada

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2005

Strengths:    light, rim brake compatible, strong if u are really smooth and go on trannys only.

Weaknesses:    not welded at joint, bends easy, dents pretty easy

Bottom Line:
This rim is good for ppl that are super smooth that ride trannys only, for the others like me that ocasionally case stairsets to flat and jumps somehting else would be better, ive had it for the entire summer and from the first week i got it i had made a small bend, now the rim is cracking at the join huge flat spot numerous dents and really bent, im probably gonna build up dbl track now. Value 5 chilies becausei got the complete wheel for 50 bux, overall 3 chilies because i am only 150 lbs and have managed to ruin it.

Favorite Trail:   streets of downtown van

Purchased At:   some dude in richmond

Similar Products Used:   ZAC19 XC rims(actually lasted about as long as these)

Bike Setup:   Block 8, 02 dj1, rear juicy 7, xt der...

Submitted by David the Great a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Strengths:    Very STRONG FOR THEIR WEIGHT

Weaknesses:    THEY BUCKLE WHEN YOU DO DROPS WITH FLAT TYRES

Bottom Line:
I SUPPOSE THESE ARENT THE STRONGEST RIMS IN THE WORLD BUT THEY ARE VERY GOOD FOR THEIR WEIGHT AND PRICE AND I USE THEM FOR DH AND HAVE NOT BUCKLED THEM. SO THEY DESERVE 5 CHILLIES.

Favorite Trail:   Welli mills

Purchased At:   Cyclerama

Similar Products Used:   HALO COMBAT

Bike Setup:   GIANT AC2

Submitted by antony aiken a Downhiller from Great grimsby england

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    ?

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is this.......................i am a bike technician and can safely say that not one of the wheels i have built have ever come back, no-matter what rim or hub involved, i currently have mavic D521's on hope XC's for my trials and Sun Phat alberts on Bulbs for my DG, they are both built into a 4 cross pattern using DT swiss DB spokes,

i have never broken or bent a rim.......ever........and i weigh 195lbs and run a bike that weighs nearly 45lbs!
i ride free-ride, DH and trials,

the point is, if you have bent a rim, go back to the store you bayght it from and ask for the wheel to be checked for build quality, its all about the build, do you realy think that wheels of such poor quality would pass quality control???

be real gentle men..........get you wheels built professionaly!

peace!

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   ?

Bike Setup:   ?

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2004

Strengths:    NOTHING AT ALL, maybe the fact that they come in a circlish shape... but trust me that wont last at all.

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING!!! the fact that they are made blows me away. The fact you find these on bikes like stinkys, who need better rims if you are using the bike properly. I did not do any drops to flat, the rim bends on me and flat spots. Its about to taco! Sun rims suck, the part where the rim comes together is sloppy not even together all the way.

Bottom Line:
do yourself a favor today... Do not buy this rim
If you are maybe do actual mountain riding and just doing light trails, maybe. expect a short life on this rim. Even just after a 30 day the rim breaks on me. I knew this would happen eventually. Screw mavic for being cheap and not making enough 321 rims taht were suppose to come on the bike.

If you buy this rim, return immeaditly. This is not just some joke like most of the posts on here where guys try to be all cool saying they break products. I just got back from riding and after manualing down a set of stairs the rim bends on me.
The price may look good on jenson or price point for this item, pay the extra 20 or something for an atom lab or something else, dh specific or free ride specific. Just save yourself from not being able to ride.
Luckily i was gonna get a new rim before summer and now i have an excuse to get one.
Just remember do not buy this rim... for the love of god do not buy this rim.
For this crappy item i am giving it 1's across the board. IF there were negatives even zeros trust me id be on those like white on rice. I hate these rims, sun made a horrible rim, mavic is lazy, dont buy these rims they suck. They are not worth the money, your better off on a xc rim probably these suck. Dont listen to anyone about these unless the agree with me cuz these rims when abused do suck. I did only drops with a tranny and everything these suck. my ditch witch on my p.2 are still up and running and i use to do 14 stairs to flat almost daily. Dont buy these!!!!
1 chili

Favorite Trail:   something a rhyno lite can take

Purchased At:   fat tire farm, came with stinky

Similar Products Used:   never have found a rim this sh*tty before, my huffy wheels were better!

Bike Setup:   2004 stinky, e13 chain guide, azonic short stem ultra cross bars and love seat, o and a rhyno lite rim in the shape of stop sign

Submitted by Christian Jørgensen a Weekend Warrior from Denmark

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    Wide rim at a resonable weight and price.

Weaknesses:    The area where the rim is joined (not welded) is gapping a bit so they wouldn't work very well for rim brakes. In general they appear to be a little sloppily made. The finish is quite rough and unsuffisticated, at least compared to Mavics in the same product range (F219/D521). After a year or so of tough riding both the rear and front rims are ovalized and inrepearably out of true. If this is a consequence of poor building or a general product weekness is to be contested, but I think I put more confidence in the wheelbuilders at Wheeltech at Rocky Mountain's than the folks at SUNrims. Sorry...

Bottom Line:
I wouln't recommend bying these rims if you have the chance of getting some Mavics instead. The Rhinos seem to be of less quality for their purpose than other rims makers's rims for the same purpose at the same price. On the other hand, they are not really bad rims either and it's a possibility that I've just been unfortunate with my set. All in all, buy the Rhino Lite XL instead if you wanna go with SUNrims.

Purchased At:   RM Switch 2002

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 217, 517, D521, 233, Alex Rims etc.

Bike Setup:   RM Switch with the works...

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Norman, Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2003

Strengths:    Incrediably strong with a great weight/strength ratio. I have not trued this wheel in over a year.

Bottom Line:
Great replacement wheel for an old mavic that was OEM in '97. I tip the scales at 190 and this rim has been as strong as the U.S. Marines, "Semper Fi" Buy it!

Favorite Trail:   NU-Draper

Purchased At:   Universal

Bike Setup:   Sun Ryno XL with 9.0 sl hub, dt competion spokes, red ano nipples.

Submitted by Jeff Carey a Downhiller from denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2003

Strengths:    very strong rims, feel very beefy and secure. abilty to take probably 8 to flat

Weaknesses:    to wide for my bike

Bottom Line:
this is agreat wheel as I have done 8 stairs, dirt jumps cliffs, anything. It hasn't bent much at all. I have done like 6 to flat to. way better than the wheels that came with the bike that I really bent.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim

Purchased At:   got them from my brother

Similar Products Used:   sun singletrack

Bike Setup:   hardrock with ryno lites

Submitted by RICARDO ORTEGON a Weekend Warrior from BOGOTA D.C. COLOMBIA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    STRONG, NICE LOOK, STABLES

Weaknesses:    DESPITE OF THE WIDTH, THEY PUT OFF CENTER TO EASY

Bottom Line:
I'M REALY DISSAPOINTED 'CAUSE WHEN I BOUTH THEM, I THOUGT I COULD HIT THE WORLD WITH THEM BUT, UNFORTUNLY, THEY AREN'T.
LAST WEEK I COUCHT A HOLEIN THE PAVEMMENT AND THE REAR RIMS GET A FLAT BUMP. THE MACHANIC TRIED EVERTYTHING POSSIBLE BUT IT'S STILL THERE.

Favorite Trail:   THE TUNEL

Purchased At:   JENSON USA

Similar Products Used:   RIGIDA'S

Bike Setup:   SMITH XC/ R/S DUKE XC 100 mm AVID 185mm DISK FRRONT

Submitted by Slim Jim a Downhiller from north vancouver B.C.

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    light i guess but that it!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    um....let me see THEY BUST IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS, i did a 5 footer wit a 2.6 tire and it completley flat spotted then a few days later it blew up at the seem from doin the same drop

Bottom Line:
bottom line don't buy this rim it will brake garunteed, would give a lower rating but they won't let me, if ur gonna buy a rim buy a mavic they won't break!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   anything that has somthin on it

Purchased At:   cove bikes

Similar Products Used:   none, cause this rim is absolutley the worst rim i have ever ridden

Bike Setup:   cove stiffee with z1 hayes hydros and lot of the other stuff

Submitted by Crazy Bit#$ a Weekend Warrior from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2001

Strengths:    -EVEN STRONGER THAN A RHYNO LITE!!!

Weaknesses:    -Heavier than a Rhyno Lite..
-Braking surface not for V's(this rim is pretty much disk-specific)
-Not made anymore--been replaced by the R. Lite and Mammoth

Bottom Line:
I built up these wheels for my buddy.They are laced 4x to Hope Bulb disk hubs w/Hope O2 disks.

THESE RIMS ARE BOMBPROOF!!They have survived insane abuse(under 2 clydesdale freeriders)without truing and with the added stress of mounted disk brakes.They are freakin' unreal!

Cons?The rim is really disc-specific(one look at the sidewalls will tell you that)and the rim is built heavier(yet stronger)than a Rhyno Lite--that's the only disadvantages I can think of.

If you like to beat your bike like a red-headed stepchild and can find these(now rare)rims,go get a pair.They're GREAT!

5 CHILIES!!

Similar Products Used:   Rhyno Lite(best rim EVER),Mavic 221(too flimsy outside of XC use)

Bike Setup:   These rims belong on a friend's Kona Stinky

Submitted by Jared from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2000

Strengths:    Never in three years have these rims been out of true. No maintanence required. Light weight and strong.

Weaknesses:    Rim leaves some metal splinters in brake pads.

Bottom Line:
Great rims. Affordable.

Purchased At:   American River Bike Shop

Pricecheck please: Sun Rhyno lite 26" rims, new XT rear Deore front disc hubs

I have a used wheelset Sun Rhyno Lite rims, XT rear disc hub and front Deore disc. Wondering if I should keep it or sell it, what do you think it is worth used? I just bought the rear hub has less than 500 km on it.Read More »

WTB Dual Dutry FR vs Rhyno Lite 29er rims

Any opinions? I choose these because of budget and RIM brake compatible> This is all I know. Wheelset builds on these rims are $315. Any opinions on which is stronger? I will be using DT Swiss Apline III spokes with Surly new disc hubs. Thx.Read More »

Rhyno Lite Rims - Mounting Tires - Suggestions?

I know others have mentioned problems with these, but I have had Rhyno Lites in the past (about 5 years ago) and decided to give them another whirl . . . I remember putting tires on was not the easiest task, but manageable. However - with this set - I'm having one hell of a time getting my tir ... Read More »

Tires for Sun Rhyno Lite Rims

Anyone have recommendations for general XC tires for the Sun Rhyno Lite rims? Mounting most tires on these rims seems nearly impossible - I've managed to mount Panaracer XC Fire Pros with my bare hands, but any other tires (i.e. Kendas) are impossible to mount, even with my Park TL-10 shop-rated ti ... Read More »

HELP needed with rhyno lite xl 29er rims

has any one converted this rims to tubless which streep would feet in this :confused: :madman:Read More »