Home | Reviews | Rim | Sun

• 550g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Tucson Rider a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2013

Strengths:    Bought these when I was low on cash and planned to change them out after a couple of months. However, it has been 6 months now and they are holding up great!!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    Good rim especially for the price.

Purchased At:   Road Runner Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax, Performance Xendro

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Stumpjumper, Fox Fork and Shock, Hayes Disc Brakes.

Submitted by Patrick S

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap, tough, stays true, takes a beating

Weaknesses:    maybe weight? don't care much.

Bottom Line:
    I run these on my dj and they take a beating. I've cased more landings than I'd like to admit and they handle my 200lbs coming down on them very nicely. Looking to lace some nicer spokes and hubs to them but will keep the rims.

Submitted by Martin

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Strengths:    Stays true... until sidewall splits

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not durable

Bottom Line:
    Sidewall split after only 2 years and about 6000 km.
    And this was on the rear - I mostly use the front brake.

Similar Products Used:   Velocity aero heat

Bike Setup:   26" with v brakes

Submitted by Skrufryder a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2012

Strengths:    Lite, STRONG, W I D E.

Weaknesses:    ??? not in anodized colors?

Bottom Line:
    Absolutly Love therse rims! I think these are just renamed Mammoth rims? Anyways I bought these cus they stop makin the mammoths. I have a set I built for my motorized bike, dont think I would feel comfortable or safe on any thing else. running as rear rim on my trail bike. Nice and wide rear end just how I like'm. Slap that ass!

Submitted by TheLloyd

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Super strong wheel. Stays true!

Bottom Line:
    My local LBS suggested this wheel set for me from the stock wheels on the bike I bought. I am 432 lbs and the wheels don't give me any problems! I probably have 100 miles on them so far! So if I can ride the bike an trails then you smaller guys can beat the hell out of them!

Submitted by Mike E.

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Inexpensive, VERY solid, stay true, wide.

Bottom Line:
    First of all.......you guys do not know how to change a tire it would appear. Tires go on just fine. I have put on 2 different style WTB's and Maxxis tires with minimal effort. I must be a genius. Second, these rims with XT hubs are just a steal for the $. Third, the wheels go round and round when the crank turns.

Submitted by O?e?

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    stays true

Weaknesses:    rim sidewall wear - tire blow out rim after 2 years -

Bottom Line:
    don't

Submitted by J a Cross Country Rider from truckee, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2011

Strengths:    Seems to be a solid product.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    After I bought the rim from my local bike shop I looked at the reviews on it online. At first I was worried because some many people said it was a weak rim and
    not worth buying. How ever I'm not a dedacated downhill'er, and I don't do spin tricks but I do catch my fair share air. The first day I took it out I Knuckeled a 10' gap (I know not that empressive) if the rim was going to bend that would have been the time it did not. I finished my day with repeted 8' drops and still the rim is true. If you bent this rim on your first time out well I guess your a mad man and I would guess you would probably bend any rim on the market. If you had problems changing your tire ask your wife/girlfriend for your b a l l s back because it's not that bad. Bottom line buy it you'll like it.

Bike Setup:   Specilized Pitch comp

Submitted by srbecker a Weekend Warrior from Tonawanda, NY

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Strengths:    Very strong

Weaknesses:    Heavy, I dont like the machined sidewall for rim breaks (very ugly), very hard to get tires on to

Bottom Line:
    Although they are very heavy, for the price I paid, $120 for the set, I have gotten my money's worth out of them. I am not a huge weight weenie as I weigh 195lbs myself so what is an extra couple of grams? I have ridden these rims on many trails that include drops of 3-5 feet, some to flat ground and they have remained true for 2 years running. After tightening the spokes during regular maintainence, they often make a faint clicking noise from rubbing together. Other than that, I loved these rims but have upgraded to a lighter yet stronger wheelset with nicer hubs, but have kept these as my road set (with road tires and separate discs) allowing me to quickly switch between sets for riding to work and around the streets.

Favorite Trail:   Hunters Creek

Purchased At:   Niagaracycle.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB SX24

Bike Setup:   GT Force 3.0, Raceface Turbine bars, Origin 8 Headset, Fox Float 32 RLC, Shimano XT crank, Black Ops Pedals, BBG Bashguard, Shimano XT Rapid Rise rear derailleur, KCNC Derailleur pulleys with oversized cartridge bearings, Mavic 719 rims laced to Shimano XT hubs DT Swiss Champion spokes, Fox RP23 rear shock.

Submitted by CSC a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2011

Strengths:    like others have said, this is a very durable rim. I've done 2ft drops on concrete over and over with these, and the keep on spinning. easier to seat tires on these than my old Alexrims

Weaknesses:    none so far. I don't mind the extra weight

Bottom Line:
    If you are the average rider looking for a good quality, durable rim, buy these.

Favorite Trail:   PNW singletrack

Purchased At:   River City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Alexrims DP20 Discs

Bike Setup:   05 Hardrock

Submitted by Joe DePalma a Weekend Warrior from Newark, DE

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2011

Strengths:    Durable as hell - this came laced to the Shimano Saint M800 hub I just reviewed. This has taken all kinds of punishment in the month I've had it and hasn't come out of true and I plan on beating this rim to submission.

Weaknesses:    None, especially since it only cost me $20 and came laced with DT Swiss stainless spokes. It is a bit heavy and a little too wide (27mm) but these don't affect my performance at all.

Bottom Line:
    I would absolutely recommend this to anyone if you're not a weight weenie. I primarily commute to work with these and while I run the smallest tires I can on them (FYI 1.5" is the smallest this rim can take) they perform exceptionally well. lace them to a good hub and you'll be worry free for a long time.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Camino, Matrix 500, Pure XCR, Alex DM24, stock wheels that came on both of my Treks

Bike Setup:   Trek 3700 - nothing stock

Submitted by BokorSolo a Weekend Warrior from Prince William, VA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Strong rim, tire sits on the rim very snug so there are no worries about the tire coming off if you have a flat.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not a welded rim.

Bottom Line:
    These are an awesome set of rims. Often times you can buy a full wheelset with these rims and Shimano hubs with stainless steel spokes for less than $150. I have been riding these guys and was originally planning to upgrade my wheelset for something lighter weight or newer, but these have never given me anything to gripe about. Due to the weight and these are not for everyone, people looking for something superlight or cutting edge will not really be pleased with these, but if you are a schlub like me you'll be riding with a smile on you face.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Dual Dutys.

Submitted by thejeepguy a Weekend Warrior from Ames, Iowa, US

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2011

Strengths:    Indestructable

Weaknesses:    Hard to change tires

Bottom Line:
    Very durable and stiff wheel. It doesn't seem to flex much under me and I'm 250 lbs. Have ridden them down stairs and a few small jumps, and potholes. They hold up well even when pressures are low in the tires and I fear I have dented them. These will probably outlast my bike. Purchased as a complete wheelset with deore m525 hubs from JensonUSA, the spokes weren't perfectly tightened and made some scary creaks, but a trip to the bike shop and they are perfect now. Very good for the price, and pretty light for the beefiness. Only wish is that the brake surface was a little more grippier, but thats probably the stock brakes to blame.

Favorite Trail:   Commuting to school

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Matrix 550 (stock)

Bike Setup:   08 Trek 820 truvativ stem, ea30 bar, avid speed dial 7 levers, rigid fork, bb5 front-stock v rear, single speed, bontrager road saddle, kenda nevegals

Submitted by sk8dad a Weekend Warrior from Fremont, CA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2010

Strengths:    light for given strength, but still affordable

Weaknesses:    tire changing (with decent levers)

Bottom Line:
    I got the rims (basically free) when I bought a brand new Hadley wheelset on craigslist for $350 for my trials/dj/commute/trail/cruise do it all rig. At the time my only awareness of these rims is a 190 lb trials rider buddy who regularly breaks frames gapping 8 feet and doing the occassional 9 foot drop to cement.

It's been over a year now, and my do-it-all bike has become my favorite bike (over my full-sus stumpy and my trials-specific Czar). In the year that I've had these rim, if I do my math correctly, I've ridden 1700 miles and have done 500 or so hucks to flat (between 1-3 feet drops usually onto hard pack or concrete). In addition, during my commute to work, I usually break off to do some urban trials which is very abusive on wheels altogether. I use rim brakes in the rear and disc up front, and my wheels are built only 3 cross.

One gripe, though I've since worked around, is the rim depth which make tire removal challenging. I've broken an old Park lever, but then, that lever was 15 years old. With practice, I've learned to live with it. Now, I don't even give it a second thought with my $4 Pedros plastic levers.

In comparison to the rims (middling DT Swiss) I have on my actual "mountain bike" the Rhyno Lites are a bit heavier, but it's really not that noticeable especially factoring in what I had for lunch that day (2 lb steak versus a 50gram power bar). It corners just fine as far as I can tell, but then I'm not that aggressive in carving turns on public trails with speed limits.

On another note, in comparison the ridiculously wide rims I've got on the trials comp rig, the Rhyno Lites do pinch flat more often, but then, we are talking the difference between 48mm vs 27.5mm here. The solution, increase the pressure. I'm 175 lbs with gear and pinched on concrete edges and pointy rocks only occasionally at 40psi (running 50psi now). By contrast I run 30psi on the 48mm trials rim. The problem with the 48mm trials rim is that the tire tread basically flattens out giving you more contact vertically, but less when leaning into a turn. That's just what you want for trials and not much else.

Thus, the Rhyno Lite, being somewhere in between, is perfect for what I do most often with it--a little of everything. It's strong but not too heavy. It's wide enough to handle fairly large tires, but not too wide that you can't lean into a turn. For those who don't want to have the rims be the most expensive component on their bike but do want the confidence and reliability, this is it. Just make sure you have decent hubs/spokes to match and a good tire lever.

Favorite Trail:   everything

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   Planet X Zebdi Mk5 (street trials hardtail), Hadley hubset, Hozfeller/Howitzer crankset/bb, Avid Ultimate V rear, Avid BB7 (1st gen) front, 4 inch Fox fork, SRAM X0/X9 1x9 drivetrain.

Submitted by crash4jumper a Weekend Warrior from Asheville

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Strengths:    strong, balanced, wide rim, affordable, looks good

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    Awesome no dissappointments with these wheels. Very durable and strong I am a big rider. I weigh +210 6'5' I leap on these rims and barrel through roots rocks rivers logs and most drops up to 2 ft any higher and i go around.
    Five Flamin chilis for awesomeness.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah Systems