Home | Reviews | Rim | Sun

Sun Phat Albert Rim

Sun Phat Albert

Submitted by SupaFoxx a racer from SLC UT

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

Man what lousy rims. I have to agree with epic below that the idea was nice, but the construction is terrible. I thought, 50mm, no more pinch flats and my Tioga's will look (even) bigger than they already do. But, I have ruined 3 since September 15. I only weigh 160 pounds! I can't believe my hero Shaums has to use them all the time. They flex all over the place and break easily. No flats though, which is good I guess. The problem lays in the construction.
Sun tried to make a rim that wouldn't get flats and extreme dh riders would enjoy. So they went 50 mm, a good idea. The problem is that most rims have some box section to them, that is a side-cut of most rims would have a rectangle or square with some extra long sides for braking and tires. HED rims have triple-box! (The 45mm's with carbon fairings are currently my faves) The c-section sun rims can be twisted and flexed by hand!!
The only crappy 50-mm rims. Bummer. Looking forward to '99's with box section.

Submitted by epic from downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

A nice idea, but too bad about the execution. Between a friend and I we have purchased 6 and wrecked 5. We bought them for practice based on the theory that a rim that big and heavy would be indestructible. Oh, well. The rim IS huge, 50mm wide, and with the rolled edge it's very hard to get a pinch flat (or mount a tire). The metal just seems to be much to soft though because the rims dent very easily, and it's pretty easy to Taco them too! Well Sun is trying again and since I did like the way that they rode and their resistance to pinch flats, I will try the '99 version.