Sun-Ringle MTX 33 Rim

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

SunRingle MTX-33 29" Disc Rim: Wide extruded aluminum with welded seam, reinforced spokeface and eyelets.

Submitted by C.P.

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2014

Strengths:    Burly, wide, not gonna break the bank, & comes in 26 & 29, and 32 & 36 spoke counts. This is THE 29er rim if your a big, strong rider (over 220lbs/6'2"++) and your riding style includes drops, hucks, kickers etc. It will not be a disappointment.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Great bang for the consumer buck, us big guys go through so many other things, our wallet never gets a break...
Whomever writes a review and complains about the weight, I got one for ya...STRONG, CHEAP, LIGHTWEIGHT....PICK TWO!

Bottom Line:
Yup, that about says it all...

Submitted by Aldo M. a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Strengths:    Extremely Strong and Durable, I weigh 330 lbs and these rims don't flex or bend one bit. They stay true and I can't say anything other than how Strong they are.

Weaknesses:    Obviously they are heavy but if you are concerned about strength you know what you are getting.

Bottom Line:
No complaints at all. I had them on my 26" Hard tail and when I upgraded to 29er I almost immediately put them on. Rode the trails a couple of times with the stock 29er rims but bent the rear wheel so bad I replaced it with a MTX 33, then next ride I managed to crack the front wheel after going over the bars and landing on the front wheel. Now front and rear are both 29er mtx 33 and I love them.

Favorite Trail:   Amelia Earhart Park

Submitted by rufio a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Super strong and stiff. Very cost effective. Excellent tire volume. Easy to build

Weaknesses:    You gotta be kidding me. Weakness was not on the drawing board with these guys.

Bottom Line:
I have been running XC rims for quite some time on my Surly Karate Monkey, but I yearned for something with more volume, more meat. So I bought a pair of these on a whim one day and I have been very happy with these. Any tire you mount on it becomes a high-volume, broad profiled traction beast. From my beloved WTB Bronsons to my Kenda Small Block 8s, these have changed the way I ride. They are just awesome. If weight is not something that concerns you, go for these.

Submitted by Gman Jackson a Downhiller from Vancouver BC Canada

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Soooooo strong. They are heavier than the lightweight rims obviously, but will not wilt under the pressure. If you're looking for a rim that will forgive you for not nailing a transition, or hitting a corner on a step, this is it. Very strong, very reliable.

Weaknesses:    None thus far.

Bottom Line:
Amazing rim. Does the job without a problem, and no complaints. Amazing price point as well, and that's important in this industry, everything is so damn expensive, glad to see something priced reasonably.

Favorite Trail:   A line

Purchased At:   Caps Bikes - Richmon

Similar Products Used:   Supra D.

Bike Setup:   2005 Norco Shore:
Truvativ Holzfeller Bar
Hammerschmidt
DHX 5.0 Coil
Vee Rubber Ninja Tires
Sun-Ringle MTX33 rims

Submitted by rockcrusher a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    I have the 29er version of these. They are big, wide, stiff and complaint. Build up nicely.

Weaknesses:    They aren't the easiest to set up tubeless.

Bottom Line:
These are a great FR/DH option for 29ers not really concerned with weight but more with tire volume and strength and economy.

They are cheap for the width, strong for the value and work really well. Setting them up tubeless took a lot of trial and error. The stock Stan's strips will not work, gorilla tape seemed to slide. Ultimately I used electrical tape, slowly building up until it would seat the tire.

I get the occasional burp but that is more of a factor of the stiffness of the tire I use (WTB Dissent 29) that a reflection on the rim.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky ones

Purchased At:   Lacemine29.com

Similar Products Used:   Rhynolites in 26"

Bike Setup:   Salsa El Mariachi Rigid.

Submitted by DirtyJumper a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, Wide, Really prevents pinch flats and the tire rolling from the rim on messed up off camber landings.

Weaknesses:    A little Heavy, Very tight It required a Park TL-10 bead jack to get my Maxxis Holy Rollers on, even the steel levers wouldn't cut it.

Bottom Line:
Awesome rims for the money. If you ride hard and don't mind moving a little extra weight you won't be sorry. I have slammed a lot of curbs, stairs, park benches, rocks, roots ect. in attempts to jump over bigger things and go faster on nasty trails and have yet to bend one or get a pinch flat. Its very difficult to install tires on but luckily you don't have to take them off often for pinch flats.

Favorite Trail:   Hi-Dee-Ho

Bike Setup:   243SL, Zokes Forks, Truvative Hussafelt Bars and Stem, FSA X-Drive 22mm BMX Cranks, MTX33 Rims on DMR SS hub out back with a Shimano Saint up front, and some big brakes.

Submitted by Tagsaya a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2010

Strengths:    A rim that a rider can depend on! very tough rim!

Weaknesses:    ?????

Bottom Line:
The rim was tough but heavy for XC set up. but the weight doesn't really matter for me. I decided to use this rim because i'm a 220 lbs rider and i just thought that this rim can carry me through all kinds of trails. My instinct didn't fail me, very reliable/tough rim that can really take any kind of terrain's abuse. Thumbs up for this rim! If anyone is planning to set up a weight weenie bike, this rim is not for you, but if you're looking for a reliable rim, then you must try this rim!

Favorite Trail:   All Cebu's XC trails

Purchased At:   LBS, Cebu Philippine

Similar Products Used:   Alex rims

Bike Setup:   jamis dakota elite '09, fox f32rlc, avid elixir cr, sram X.O, raceface next handle bar/seat post, wtb saddle (ti rails), kenda JT's small block eight tires.

Sun Ringle MTX 33 ??

Is this serious overkill being 26 mm internal width with a 2.35 ( 60mm) tire set up as tubeless ?? Considering getting one for a front wheel . My rear wheel is 21 mm internal width , but looking to go wider up front . *Aggressive XC and AM use*Read More »

wheels for OGRE:SUN MTX-33???

[h=1]Sun MTX-33 29" 6-Bolt Disc Mountain Wheelset 15mm / 12x142mm[/h]I cant tell if these go on my Surly OGRE. It says the standard 135mm dropouts on the rear, but these are 142mm rear hub. Also, can you tell by the description if they are 15mm or 24mm width? I want to run them with 2.2 tiresRead More »

Question about:Sun MTX-33 29" 6-Bolt Disc Mountain Wheelset 15mm / 12x142mm

[h=1][FONT=arial black]Sun MTX-33 29" 6-Bolt Disc Mountain Wheelset 15mm / 12x142mm[/FONT][/h]I am building a surly OGRE. These were recomended. It says the rear hub is 142mm, whereas the surly is the standard 135mm dropout. Also, how wide are they? 15mm or 24 mm? I want to run 2.2 inch tires on th ... Read More »

MTX-33's Tubeless with Orange Seal?

Has anyone tried setting up MTX-33's as tubeless with Orange Seal? I read that Orange Seal will repair bigger punctures than Stan's...I have a pair of 2 ply 2.5 Minions that I want to mount tubeless. I'm a taping noob...all my Flow rims were already setup tubeless...they were a breeze to get t ... Read More »

Clyde Rims: Something between Flow and MTX 33?

Hello, 220lbs here, rigid, recently converted back to SS, throwing down major torque. Wanting to replace my geared 36h XT/Flow/Sapim Race wheelset with a 36h SS wheelset that is even stiffer. Thinking Surly hubs and Sapim Strong spokes. Wondering about rims. I'm considering the MTX 33, which m ... Read More »