Sun-Ringle Mach IV Rim

• Hole Counts: 28.32

Submitted by Cameron

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    none?

Bottom Line:
Haven't had any troubles putting tires on/off like other reviewers have described (I've only used Panaracers). Also worth noting that I'm a pretty light guy (145 lbs) so I usually don't have problems with bike parts breaking.

Submitted by Nikolay Cherkasov a Weekend Warrior from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2008

Strengths:    Just a rim. Wide and inexpensive rim

Weaknesses:    It's too difficult to change a tire.
Side cracked after just 5500 km of not so hard roads.
If was't rubbed with V-brakes - so I think that construction is just too weak.

Bottom Line:
I don't like it. I heard several bad my friend's reviews about them - they are a little bit lighter and totally unreliable.
They are only for front wheel / or for calm (<1000km/year) rides.

Similar Products Used:   Several rims and they worked at least 10000km each.

Bike Setup:   MTB :)

Submitted by Nathan Jones a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Tx

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2007

Strengths:    Its an extremely light rim and was great for competitive XC when I raced up in Colorado.

Weaknesses:    Impossible to change tires and not extremely strong. I bent one rim on some rocky single track then cracked the other a year later doing some urban assault.

Bottom Line:
If your a light rider and want a fairly inexpensive light wheel then go for it, but dont buy it if your heavier or need a rim that will take a beating.

Favorite Trail:   Crested Butte

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Hayes MX-1 mech disks, Specialized Stout hubs..

Submitted by Johann a Cross Country Rider from Rotorua, NZ

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2007

Strengths:    great braking surface, take a trashing no problem - so far, jumps, drifting into corners and hitting ruts. Bouth one for the rear, loved it, so just got another for the front

Weaknesses:    getting tires on and off

Bottom Line:
Yes, like previous reviews it can be hard to get tires on and off - but theres a bit of a trick I think. When your pushing last bit of tire bead over the lip make sure the bead on far side of wheel is in the middle of rim and hasnt ridden up closer to inside of brake wall. The middle of the inside of the rim has a smaller diameter. - Makes it much easier.

Favorite Trail:   Billy T

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 317 - replaced when join cracked. Specaialized rim, brake wall collapsed when hit a rock due to age and wear.

Bike Setup:   Old school 1997 cro-moly hardtail, rebas, the orinigal LX V-brakes

Submitted by Justin Murray a Cross Country Rider from Canberra, ACT

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    This rim is strong and light. It spins true.

Weaknesses:    It is almost impossible to change tyres on this rim. I broke all my tyre levers trying to get a Ritchey tyre on the rear wheel. I gave up in the end. Only Maxxis and Specialized tyre seem to work with this rim.

Bottom Line:
Great rims... but only if you never change tyres or get a flat.

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow Hill

Purchased At:   Beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   WTB Dual Duty, Mavic

Bike Setup:   Trek with WTB Devo, Avid Ti brakes, Easton, Titec and Salsa bits... used to have Ritchey WCS tyres... but not any more.

Submitted by Horatiu a Cross Country Rider from Cluj, Romania

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Weak structure

Bottom Line:
The rims worked well for 1 year until today when the sidewall cracked in several places while descending on a rocky road. I never used rim brakes, only disc, so they were never used for braking. It's true however that my weight is 220 pounds + and I ride quite hard.

I think that heavy riders should stay away from this one. For lighter persons they will do the job well, and are also very light.

Purchased At:   came with my bike

Submitted by CL a Cross Country Rider from N. Cal

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2006

Strengths:    Light, cheap, strong so far.

Weaknesses:    deco sticker peel off

Bottom Line:
THis is one of the lightest in Sun's rim lineup, I never have any problem in the past two years, about 300 miles?, wheels stay true than I expected. Only down side is the sticker peel off (still on the wheels) that looks cheezy. I weight 155 pound, ride mostly Xc and some technical downhill, no drops more than 2 feet.

Purchased At:   Supergo