Sun-Ringle Equalizer 27 Rim

• WIDTH: 27mm
  • BEAD WIDTH: 25mm
  • INNER BEAD WIDTH: 19.5mm
  • WEIGHT: 482g
  • ERD: 542mm, 605mm (29er)
  • HOLE COUNT: 32, 32 (29er)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by esundell90 a Cross Country Rider from Marquette

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2011

Strengths:    Great wheel for the price, look good, perform well.

Weaknesses:    I guess a tad on the weak side, but its questionable.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these wheels because they seemed like a good deal. They work well, look good and for the price, you'd be hard pressed to find better. I did manage to bend a back rim after casing a jump landing. However, I was told the people who originally put the rim together laced the spokes incorrectly, which could have caused the rims to be weaker than they normally would have been. Either way, they aren't super expensive so I wasn't broke after I bought a replacement. I'd recommend em for most riders. If you're a serious racer or you like to take big air or something look elsewhere, but for 90% of riders, this is a good wheel.

Favorite Trail:   Michigan

Purchased At:   Lake Shore Bike, Mar

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey 29, full rigid

Submitted by BurnNotice a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Strengths:    Well made and very economical for budget minded folks.

Weaknesses:    Finish on the rims (easily scratched).

Bottom Line:
    I wanted value at an economical price. Let's face it......we cut corners when we can to put that money in other things. I don't think I cut corners with this wheelset. I read alot of reviews and while there were those that hated this wheelset, the good outnumbered them. Plus for $155 I figured if I did not like them I would just bite the bullet and buy a high dollat set of wheels. But I have to say, after installing them and riding them pretty hard I can't find a fault. Why sure, they are not DT Swiss with Hope hubs and $1 a piece spokes! But this wheelset for XC and single track is plenty tuff! I am a little disappointed in the red finish. It scratches easily. If this wheel set would have been molded in color then no complaints what so ever. But that should not matter with mtb'ing and I know that. These soak up rough terrain and tires seat easily on them. The rear hubs on mine are Disc Jockey's but we are not reviewing them here. I do have to say, if your value minded and need a product that is cheap, yes cheap, and will act like a $500+ wheelset, then get a set of Equalizers.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek

Purchased At:   Individual

Similar Products Used:   WTB 26

Bike Setup:   Geeez...........again! See other reviews for that.

Submitted by midlifechrisis a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to get tyres on.
    Fairly wide.

Weaknesses:    Don't stay true.
    Split very easily.

Bottom Line:
    In 2 years, I have destroyed a front & rear Equalizer 27 rim. First was a bad crash, & I forgave them, & fitted a new one. Yesterday whilst fixing a flat, I noticed a huge split in the rear rim beside the valve hole about 3" long. It could only have been the result of a small 2' drop the previous day, which should be well within the capabilities of an all mountain rime like this. I am not impressed.

Favorite Trail:   Coed y Brenin

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   Were on Commencal Meta 5.5, now on Ventana El Ciclon

Submitted by anthony.delorenzo a Weekend Warrior from Whitehorse, YT, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, light, look good.

Weaknesses:    Wish the wider 31mm rim came in the 29er size.

Bottom Line:
    This has been a strong and reliable 29er rim for me. They are a bit lighter and better looking than my old reliable, the Rhyno Lite. I'm 6'6" 230# so not easy on stuff, I built these myself and have not touched them since.

Sun rims are always great bang for the buck and these are no exception.

Similar Products Used:   Sun Rhyno Lites, Velocity Dyad

Bike Setup:   Misfit Psycles DiSSent singlespeed, phil hubs

Submitted by leafsfan16 a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2008

Strengths:    weight possibly

Weaknesses:    always need true and tensioning after every ride, wobble constantly, bend 24/7, terrible

Bottom Line:
    Do NOT buy these rims, if your straight up strength buy double tracks, if your more into a medium buy sos's over these, pure junk. I really like funn descenders seem to be strong but only time will tell.

Favorite Trail:   Back yard

Purchased At:   Mike's

Similar Products Used:   double tracks for years, single tracks, alex rims, funn decenders

Bike Setup:   08 kona five-o , fox floats with double tracks and hookworms, funn bars and saint crank set