Sun-Ringle DS1-XC Rim

For cross-country riding and racing for bikes with disc-brakes. Reinforced spoke face and lower sidewallToTakeThe increased stress fedToThe rim by disc brakes.. Lightweight, rounded construction builds a stronger disc-specific wheel. Weight: 420 grams Material: Welded, double-wall construction with nickel-plated brass-eyelets Colors: Black Dimensions: Joint: 23.4mm Wide, Disc Brake Only

Submitted by Neeek a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent price (the main reason I bought a pair)
Good looks
Lightweight
Eyelets

Weaknesses:    If I were being picky, they're only drilled for Presta rather than Schraeder - not an issue for me as I prefer Presta, but some might find this inconvenient...

Bottom Line:
These rims build into quite nice wheels - they also look really good. Time will tell if they stand up to abuse, but I have no reason to suspect otherwise as they look like quite a sturdy rim for XC use.

However, the specs on the website are incorrect.

First of all, they weigh about 440g, rather than the claimed 400g. Experience has told me that this isn't unusual as I haven't ever weighed a rim that was as light as the manufacturer claimed.

Second, their ERD measurement is incorrect. I measured it myself as I've been caught out before buying spokes that weren't long enough, and the ERD of this rim is 548, not the stated 545. Porbably not enough to make a difference, but something worth noting.

Purchased At:   Torpedo7

Similar Products Used:   Mostly Mavics (230/231/117/217/317/517/521/519), some Bontragers (BCXs, Red/Blue labels) and a few other rims I can't remember.

Bike Setup:   Pastey 853 rigid singlespeed, Zion fork, Ritchey hubs/these rims, Kore bits, Sugino cranks, Avid discs... bits I had in the shed, basically.