Sun-Ringle DS1-XC Rim

3.43/5 (44 Reviews)

For cross-country riding and racing for bikes with disc-brakes. Reinforced spoke face and lower sidewallToTakeThe increased stress fedToThe rim by disc brakes.. Lightweight, rounded construction builds a stronger disc-specific wheel. Weight: 420 grams Material: Welded, double-wall construction with nickel-plated brass-eyelets Colors: Black Dimensions: Joint: 23.4mm Wide, Disc Brake Only

Submitted by MrBaker a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, strong, colors?

Weaknesses:    Impossible to change a tire. Narrow.

Bottom Line:
I purchased a used wheelset on ebay that came with these rims laced to a set of Hadley hubs (20mm thru front, SS trials rear). The wheels were light and fairly strong. In fact, I used the front wheel on my Santa Cruz Heckler that I very much thrash about and it has held up just fine besides the occasional pinch flat. Quite astounding considering the front was laced up RADIAL, yes, RADIAL and I like to take drops, small jumps (case a lot of bigger) and go through rough terrain. It probably helps it was a 36 hole rim/hub build, but still. Quite amazing for a XC rim. I've ruined a few other rims doing the same thing, but this one stays the same as I bought. Rear is the same, but wasn't used as harshly (and is only 32 hole).

Regardless, I've replaced it with a wider, UST mavic rim because of two issues. First, it's really narrow. I like fat tires. FAT FAT with big knobs. I live in the wetside of the Pacific Northwest. The tires ran super bulbus on these rims. Not fun.

Second and more important, I pinched a fair bit on those rims and my local trails have quite a few brambles on them meaning it's flat city out here. And let me tell you, it's fairly impossible to change a flat on these rims. Especially lacking a set of good quality tire levels. I routinely used three good tire levels (metal core or pedros) to get the tire bead off. Kinda really lame. VERY VERY DIFFICULT. Read other reviews.

So if you're looking for a simple, light XC rim and you are riding pretty tame single track, or commuting. Check these out! But otherwise, try something else.

Favorite Trail:   Oakridge?

Duration Product Used:   1.5 years

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ex823, Velocity V XC, sun estate, sun singletrack, WTB freq, more

Bike Setup:   AM hardtail or Santa Cruz Heckler set up for fun

Submitted by Neeek a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent price (the main reason I bought a pair)
Good looks
Lightweight
Eyelets

Weaknesses:    If I were being picky, they're only drilled for Presta rather than Schraeder - not an issue for me as I prefer Presta, but some might find this inconvenient...

Bottom Line:
These rims build into quite nice wheels - they also look really good. Time will tell if they stand up to abuse, but I have no reason to suspect otherwise as they look like quite a sturdy rim for XC use.

However, the specs on the website are incorrect.

First of all, they weigh about 440g, rather than the claimed 400g. Experience has told me that this isn't unusual as I haven't ever weighed a rim that was as light as the manufacturer claimed.

Second, their ERD measurement is incorrect. I measured it myself as I've been caught out before buying spokes that weren't long enough, and the ERD of this rim is 548, not the stated 545. Porbably not enough to make a difference, but something worth noting.

Purchased At:   Torpedo7

Similar Products Used:   Mostly Mavics (230/231/117/217/317/517/521/519), some Bontragers (BCXs, Red/Blue labels) and a few other rims I can't remember.

Bike Setup:   Pastey 853 rigid singlespeed, Zion fork, Ritchey hubs/these rims, Kore bits, Sugino cranks, Avid discs... bits I had in the shed, basically.

Submitted by criticalw88 a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, CA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Too fragile for urban obstacles

Bottom Line:
These came mounted on my San Andreas. For 3+ years they required runout correction and spoke tightening. Maybe a lot of this is due to my 280# riding weight. They seemed tricky when conducting inner tube replacement. One has to be mindful of pinching to assure success. All was fine until they became split due to an encounter with a pot hole one night. I will probably replace them with some Mavic 729's in order to put this problem to bed. I have zero concern for weight. I would have solid granite wheels (Flintstone's style) if I could. Needless to say, I have no interest in replacing them with the same. Maybe they are good for light weight people who dont encounter hard objects.

Favorite Trail:   Nearest Sidewalk

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Bike Setup:   San Andreas Mtn Cycle

Submitted by osman a Weekend Warrior from Turkey

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    Looks great especially with black nipples, spokes and XT hub.

Weaknesses:    Eyelets pop-out

Bottom Line:
After more than 2 years of everyday use, climbing and descending approximately 800 meters of altitude per week and a distance of 80-100 km in every condition (rain, snow, hot summer) some of the eyelets facing the spokes coming from the cassette side of the rear tyre pops-out and have started to make a grincing sound especially when I climb steep ascents. I have dismounted the tyre, put tooth lock washers under the nipples and mounted the tyre again. No problem since then.
These rims fits perfectly well with Schwalbe Racing Ralph tyres, I can pull-out the tyre even without any tool and when installed, fits perfectly. Their diameter match exactly. I have purchased another tyre for spare. There is no problem with the front tyre. I have put more than 8500 km's on these. If I can find new ones, may think of buying a spare again.
Hint: if you can build the tyre by-yourselves, start putting spokes of the cassette side with washers under the nipples first, true them and install the remaining spokes later. By doing this you will not need to adjust the cassette side nipples that much, whose are more stressed than those of the other side.

Bike Setup:   Magura Julie 6 bolt brake rotor, XT hub, DT spokes and nipples, Schwalbe Racing Ralph tyres

Submitted by jack a Cross Country Rider from Woodland Hills, ca

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    Just awesome. Never needs to be trued, worry free rim. I have no problem getting my tires on. They are a good weight for cross country riding and they are priced nicely. You really cant go wrong.

Weaknesses:    Product is great, just be sure to get a nice hub on it to truly appreciate the weight savings.

Bottom Line:
Can not go wrong if you ride Cross Country.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey OCR, Alex Rims

Bike Setup:   XC racing

Submitted by Pama a Weekend Warrior from Quito /Ecuador

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2006

Strengths:    strong!!, and light

Weaknesses:    the worst experience in my life to change tires or tubes,,, imposible.

Bottom Line:
Im 235 poubds and the rims have hold amazing but everytime I have a flat means 10 minutes per wheel and 2 broken tool levers, this means you probably will damage your tubes and this means another 10 minutes more per wheel and new levers

preformance= 5/5
precticity= 0/5

maybe mavic?

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   xm819, ditch witch and some crappy ones

Bike Setup:   kona caldera

Submitted by Krzysztof Dynka a Cross Country Rider from Krakow, Poland

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2006

Strengths:    Reasonably priced, very light, very well made in terms of finish, reasonably rigid even in quite abusive conditions

Weaknesses:    Very narrow even as disc brake specific rims - snake bites are quite likely if tyres not inflated properly or even if lightweight tubes and tyres used

Bottom Line:
I can't really complain about the wheels built with these rims (XT centerlock 36 hole hubs, DT Champion spokes), apart from the snake bites like punctures mentioned in the weaknesses, the rim seems to be very narrow and sharp, I had many problems with the punctures at the beginning, but having put on thicker tyres and tubes everything seems to be sorted out.

I weigh 73 kilos, I'm into quite aggressive XC, Enduro and trail riding and so far I've had no buckles, dents on the rims, however I wouldn't recommend them to heavier riders for sure, at least not for the type of riding I do.

My rims are in anodized red - the colour, the look and the anodized finish is absolutely superb, but it's all badly spoiled by the crappy and peeling off stickers.

If you want to build (cheaply) lightweight and nice looking wheels for not too heavy conditions, then give them a go.

I'll buy something else next time but only because of my riding preferences.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline, Afan Forest, Wales

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Alexrims DM18, Mavic X139, Mavic X517

Bike Setup:   Author Vision frame, full XT 2005 disc groupset, Manitou Minute, Easton EA50 set, IRC Serac XC tyres

Submitted by Mike robinson a Downhiller from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Strengths:    Very light, quite tough for the weight

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet except maybe a few broken spokes

Bottom Line:
I am an ex xc racer who is now an avid free rider. I own a Stinky Primo and I bought my dawg to try the all mountain thing and I have been impressed with the wheels. I did not expect these light wheels to last long with my style of riding but I have been pleasantly surprised. I ride up to 6 foot drops with trannies on these wheels, rock gardens and downhills, and the only problem I have had is a few broken spokes on the rear wheel. Sure, I have had to true the wheels a few times but what do you expect when riding an xc wheel on the edge of freeride. Sounds like a lot of people have had problems with these rims, I would suggest learning to ride smoothly. If you are just going to hack your way through a trail like you are on FR/DH bike of course you are going to have problems. I constanly tell people how good these wheels have been to me and my riding buddies know how hard I ride and have also been impressed by how long they have lasted.

Favorite Trail:   Two Sheiks

Purchased At:   Came on my Dawg Delux

Similar Products Used:   only heavier wheels, alex esd 25 and mavic ex 729

Bike Setup:   Dawg Delux, lx/xt, race face type x bb and cranks, 2007 fox vanilla rlc (which I love much more than the float), fox rp3, chromag bars, race face headset, hfx nine brakes, wtb saddle, ds1 rims.

Submitted by Jeff Andresen a Cross Country Rider from Apple Valley

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2006

Strengths:    Looks Good

Weaknesses:    Not durable

Bottom Line:
Upon landing too much on my front wheel, I took a spill on a simple, small, well-made jump at my local MTB trail. The act of wiping out somehow bent the rear Sun rim into an unrepairable undulating shape. It must have been the sideways stress from the bike and I hitting the ground. This was only my fourth time out on my new bike. This seems too fragile for a MTB rim.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Similar Products Used:   Bonte Mustangs(awesome)

Bike Setup:   LX/XT mix, full suspension, Manitou Radium Rear Shock

Submitted by Brian Gegier a Cross Country Rider from Williamsburg, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2006

Strengths:    Low price, light weight

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I bought these for their light weight and low price. Built up the rear around XT hub and had Jenson build the front on an XT (since they'd do it for the cost of hub and rim). First ride I hit a rut bombing down a fitness trail and tacoed the front rim. I was disappointed but figured many xc rims couldn't take that abuse. I replaced it with a 0degree XC and haven't had any trouble. After a few weeks the rear developed a bad flat spot and ever since then the spokes have come loose after several rides. I finally gave up and replaced the rear with a Sun SubIV. Hope it lasts.

I'm a former bike mechanic and meticulous with maintenance. I've also built up at least a dozen wheels and never had a similar problem before. These might be good racing rims, but I think they're too fragile for everyday use. I'd trade a few grams in weight to get a heavier-duty, more reliable rim. I ride strictly cross country with at most 2 foot drops. At 170lbs, I don't think I'm especially hard on wheels.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   Klein Palomino frame, mostly XT components, RaceFace crank, Avid disc brakes

Submitted by Tim Carl a Downhiller from Thorne Bay, Alaska

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    This procuct sucks Kona should of not put these rims on this bike

Weaknesses:    the rims bend way to much im working on them every single ngiht trying to get them straight and theres a major hop in the rim....not to the side it hops verticaly

Bottom Line:
These rims suck should not be put on a hardcore xc/race bike. if you ever buy these rims and your going to ride hard on them...get a new set asap becase these will be shot in 5 months

Purchased At:   On A Dawg-Delux

Submitted by Ross a Cross Country Rider from Chch, NZ

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2006

Strengths:    Light, seem plenty strong enough.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I weigh 75kg, and ride fairly hard - these rims are still running true after a few thousand kms. Perhaps not the rim for you if you're into big drop offs, but as the name suggests, its a light weight xc rim, not a bombproof dh rim!
They do seem to be on the large side, making removing/installing tires a little harder than with other rims, but its really not that bad - at least not with the tioga and panaracer tires i've tried on them.

Bike Setup:   '05 kona kula deluxe, panaracer fire xc 1.8

Submitted by john a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Strengths:    None noted

Weaknesses:    Are not durable. The rear wheel sprung after having it out for the 5th ride since new (had 27 kms on it in total) along a relatively easy trail.

Bottom Line:
Went out for a normal evening ride, it's typically a 15 Km loop around Mt. Tzouhalem in Duncan... just heading out of Field of Dreams when the rear wheel sprung when I dismounted the bike awkwardly.

For a new set of wheels on a bike with very little mileage this was an enormous disappointment. I have ridden a number of other bikes with no trouble whatsoever, I ride my XC hardtail along this route regularly (Mavic 223s) without any problems and then this... not really pleased that this happened. I don't abuse my equipment at all and I don't ride like I'm out to kill myself or my bike.

Considering my one and only experience with the Sun DS1-XC has not been a good one thus far, I can't recommend these rims to anyone. My LBS is going to see what they can do for my wheel, but I think that it's going to mean getting a new rim in the end.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Tzouhalem

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, WTB

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg Primo with Panaracer tires but otherwise still stock.

Submitted by El Jura from Mars

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    Rims seem to track and brake better than my old OEM Mavics with the same tire combination. Cheap online.

Weaknesses:    Next to impossible to get tires on and off. Stickers are cheap and come off right away...not a big deal, but doesn't inspire much confidence either.

Bottom Line:
These are a burlier and cheaper rim than Mavic 317s, but all the problems I've had changing tires have me thinking they're not worth it. I've tried 3 different tires on these rims; Panaracer Fire 2.1s, and WTB Moto 2.24 and 2.14s. I had to cut the big WTBs off the rim and so far I've trashed 2 tubes and broken a tire lever. I keep pinch-flatting tubes trying to get tires on. Never going to try to race on these...one flat would probably mean a DNF. My old Mavics were the exact same dimensions on paper, and I didn't even have to use levers with them. What gives? Did Sun forget to convert inches to metric when they sent these to Taiwan to get made?

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Old Mavic 223s, tried 317s but liked these better.

Bike Setup:   Blah blah Marzocchi blah blah XT blah Raceface blah blah blah...

Submitted by m2k a Cross Country Rider from Philly

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight, looks

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
These rims came on the bike I bought used - had about a summer of wear on them. This summer, I blew two spokes in the back rim and last week, when I went over the bars, the front rim crumpled under my weight beyond repair, which is why I bought the Mavic. I'm 5'11" 185lbs. - ride a lot of rock gardens but no insane drops.

I don't know. These are definitely light rims, and the guy I bought the bike off tried to shave weight wherever possible, but I don't think it's worth it with these. Racing? Maybe I'd get them. Not racing and not a weight queen? Get something more durable.

PS - removing tires was a little tough, but once you get used to using levers it's not THAT bad!

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon, Am. Standard