Sun-Ringle CR-18 Rim

• E.R.D.: 548
  • Hole Counts: 32

Submitted by rvaliant a Cross Country Rider from Kennewick, WA, USSA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2011

Strengths:    inexpensive, strong

Bottom Line:
I change tires (700X38 Schwalbes) all the time on these rims with plastic levers! You have to be retarded or rich if you can't manage it. Rims are strong and stay round for commuter riding and I'm 250 plus I regularly ride with a load of about 25 lbs.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Surly Cross Check commuter

Submitted by arby a Weekend Warrior from michigan

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2009

Strengths:    price-availability

Weaknesses:    really really tough to change a flat

Bottom Line:
The wheelset that that came on my 300 dollar
bike was just too cheap to ignore so I went to
REI and picked up the cheapest wheelset they had
which is 100 times better than the no-name set
that came on my bike. they are round and true
after 350 miles of riding around the neighborhood
but I have lost the confidence I had that I could
change a flat tire on the side of the road, away
from home. Changing a tube on the side of the road
with plastic tire levers isn't going to happen with
Sun CR-18 rims. I had to take them to the local bike
to have the tires and tubes mounted after ruining
3 tubes in a row trying to mount them myself the first
time

Favorite Trail:   I don't go on trails

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Raleigh comfort/hybrid mountain type bike

Submitted by Jeff D a Weekend Warrior from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, solid, wheels on the bike go round and round

Weaknesses:    resemble a tank more than a gazell

Bottom Line:
Got these as a second wheel set with studded ice tires, for easy switching back and forth depending on snow, ice, etc. Got mine used. They're heavy, but they were cheap, and they've stayed round. I've only used wire bead tires with no problem. Get yourself a Kool Stop tire bead jack (about $13) and you can put ANY tire on ANY wheel easy. Good hefty tire levers help too. You get what you pay for and I'm happy.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere anytime

Purchased At:   on-line auction

Similar Products Used:   Cheapish Bontrager wheels

Bike Setup:   29ER Gary Fisher fro winter riding.

Submitted by talkingspoon a Weekend Warrior from kitchener, ontario

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2008

Strengths:    cheap, light

Weaknesses:    bend easy, not very strong

Bottom Line:
good rim for a beginner. DON'T use for dirt jumping. bad idea!!!! bend easy. ok for xc but light xc and small drops like 2' at most. i would not tell anyone to go out and buy this rim unless they were just starting out.

Favorite Trail:   komakozy

Purchased At:   work

Similar Products Used:   alex dm 18

Bike Setup:   xc, dirt jumping, light free ride

Submitted by FireTomase a Weekend Warrior from Northeast US

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2008

Strengths:    Stays true, brakes quietly, they come in simple polished aluminum color, cheap

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
I have no idea where this wheel was built (came with my used bike) but it has never been trued and is perfect. I bet it has something to do with the symmetrical lacing but I have ridden on the rim with a flat tire, have recklessly pinch flatted on sharp curbs and have gone off lots of bb scraping rocks. This is my most abused rim and is also the only one I've never trued.

Favorite Trail:   Rocks and gnoll

Purchased At:   dunno

Similar Products Used:   xc717, xc317, some alex xc rim

Bike Setup:   SS hardtail with White Industries ENO hub (no dish) laced 3x both sides

Submitted by Zog a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap, no pointless features like a welded joint. Did I mention they're cheap?

Weaknesses:    Only single eyelets, although these can be an advantage if you use large flange hubs or weird spoking patterns, because they let the spoke nipple orient itself better.

Bottom Line:
Rims have no real strength - it's all in the wheel build. If the spokes are properly tight, the only thing you have to worry about (barring that storm drain that will catch and trash any wheel) is fatigue cracking round the spoke holes. These aren't Mavics, so they shouldn't. Forget 32 spokes on the rear; only 16 of them are really taking the weight. Go for 36 double-butted spokes, get them TIGHT and properly stress-relieved, and you can ride until the sidewalls wear through.

Purchased At:   Bikedock.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Sun Rhyno Lite, various Mavics, DT XR 4.1

Bike Setup:   Road use only, 36 spokes rear.

Submitted by ERIC WARBURTON a Weekend Warrior from MIAMI

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2007

Strengths:    INEXPENSIVE, DECENT STRENGTH TO WEIGHT RATIO (FOR THE PRICE).

Weaknesses:    NEEDS TO BE STRONGER FOR REAR USE ON A HARDTAIL.

Bottom Line:
In my experience the CR-18 is fine for the front wheel and will take most any abuse. The rear however, not so strong. I destroyed the rear wheel in 2 months or so, while the front lasted me 6 years. I always thought of the cr-18 as an OEM part, comimg on mid level Mtn bikes. The 20 inch version have been standard equipment on many mid level BMX bikes for years, and is often the first part replaced, as they don't tend to hold up very well for this application (the rears, at least). I weigh about 170 pounds and ride mostly cross country type trails, but I do resort to some BMX type jumping and thrashing on occasion.

If you need a stronger wheel and don't mind the extra weight penalty (100 grams or so) I would go with a Rhyno Lite, or if you're extra abusive, a Rhyno lite XL (which I have been abusing for a year or so now with no problems). There are rims out there with better weight to strength ratios, but I'm comparing rims in the same price range.
It's easy to get a cheap, light but not so stong wheel. However, a cheap light and strong wheel will cost alot. When bike building on a budget, I go back to my BMX roots and opt for cheap and light on the front, and cheap and strong but slightly heavy on the rear. Unless of couse you are a notorious front wheel tacoer(is that a word?), but I havn't met many of those.

Favorite Trail:   OLETA PARK, MIAMI

Purchased At:   CAME WITH BIKE

Similar Products Used:   SUN RHYNO LITE, SUN RHYNO LITE XL.

Bike Setup:   2000 TREK 6000 CONVERTED TO SINGLE SPEED, TRUVATIV HUSEFELT CRANK WITH ISIS BB AND 34 TOOTH BLACK SPIRE CHAIN RING, EASTON ALUMINUM RISER BARS, GENERIC 45 MM STEM, SURLY 1X1 RIGID FORKS, WOODMAN SS REAR HUB WITH 16T ODYSSEY BMX COG AND SUN RHYNO LITE XL, DEORE FRONT HUB WITH RHYNO LITE RIM, AVID BB7 FRONT DISC BRAKE, GENERIC LX TYPE REAR V BRAKES AND GENERIC LEVERS, GENERIC SEAT AND POST.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Keswick, Ont. Canada

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    cheap, cheap, cheap.

Weaknesses:    Garbage rim that needs contant attention to keep true. Spokes constantly break when hitting even moderate hits on the trail resulting in a rim that waves to the other riders behind you.

Bottom Line:
The OEM rims that came on the bike were alot stronger then these pieces of crap. I only bought them because they were cheap and I really needed a wheel at the time. I should have saved my money and invested in a better rim. i.e Sun Ryno Lite

Favorite Trail:   Ravenshoe

Bike Setup:   Specialized hardrock

Submitted by JF Bérubé a Cross Country Rider from Welland, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Strengths:    Tough enough for xc if used with suspension, i.e. not to be used as rear wheel on hardtail.

Weaknesses:    Not tough enough for hammering rough / rocky xc trails.

Rim diameter too big for tire; removing tire = NIGHTMARE even with the best tools and techniques. Not raceable for sure (punctured tire = might as well finish race on foot, you'll save time!)

Bottom Line:
Overall rating would be different if the rim would be better sized. Otherwise, it's just an OK rim. I will never buy sun rims again. (I also own sun rim rhino lite, same sizing problems but way tougher).

If cr18's come stock, consider investing right away in something different. After all, when it comes to performance, wheels are probably the most important component of your bike.

Favorite Trail:   12 mile creek, St Catharines

Similar Products Used:   mavic xm 517

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Davis,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    (Set up right,) holds true and durable.

Weaknesses:    None encountered.

Bottom Line:
I don't even think about them, which is a good thing. I built them up myself with the reused 14ga spokes and XT hubs and keep them well tensioned (at ~100 or 23-25 on the Park tension meter) and acceptably true. I tour long and hard (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/daviscalf) and it would be great if all my other equipment served me as well. Have yet to break a spoke! (Get yourself a tension meter.)

Favorite Trail:   those without hostile motorists

Purchased At:   LBS (REI)

Similar Products Used:   Mavics that developed cracks hence the shift to these. I'm thinking these will give me 100,000 miles of service.

Bike Setup:   SWB Recumbent @ 300lb load & 20x1.25 26x1.25 tires

Submitted by Peter a Racer from Gainesville, Florida

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2005

Strengths:    Great all around rim if you are not a idiot and know how to build wheels.

Weaknesses:    A little tight when removing/installing tires.

Bottom Line:
I am 6'3" and weigh 195. I ride hard and in the Florida. Not much downhill but with all the hurricanes lately, the trails are filled with some serious log hopping obstacles. Seriously, pay no attention to the one chili posts.

These rims are very good. Build the wheel correctly, keep spoke tension reasonably tight, and they will serve you well. I am currenly buidling a 29er with Sun CR-18s, Chris King Hubs and lightweight spokes and allow nipples. I trust these rims implicitly!

Similar Products Used:   DT rims (aweful), Sun all the way!

Bike Setup:   SS fully rigid - wheels home built on Philwood hubs, DT Revolution light weight road spokes with alloy nipples. 32 hole.

Submitted by Nick Watson a Downhiller from Calmar

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2005

Strengths:    LIght easy to take off and tighten

Weaknesses:    very weak rim cannot take much pressure on jumps

Bottom Line:
they are very weak on jumps and i do not suggest them to any mountain bikers who ride alot of downhill tracks

Favorite Trail:   dromedary

Purchased At:   River City Cycle

Similar Products Used:   rhyno lyte rims

Bike Setup:   rocky mountian hammer clippless pedals marzochi bomber shocks and cr 18 sunrims which suck

Submitted by stack a Racer from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, stay true (handbuilt, though)

Weaknesses:    Completely impossible to change the tires

Bottom Line:
Ding easily. Completely, totally impossible to change tires. I hate these rims. I really really really hate these rims

Favorite Trail:   Middlesex Fells

Similar Products Used:   XC 717s, DT 4.1, lots of other low-end stuff

Submitted by ryan from Sodus

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2005

Strengths:    price! 75 bucks got me front and rear laced to LX hubs, very good combo, and they look nice

Weaknesses:    they are a pain to get tires on and off...umm they left me with lots of money in my pocket?

Bottom Line:
these rims hold up fine, i dont know WHAT you guys are doing to your rims... im 200+ pounds and i ride some rough trails at times, these rims are still darn close to perfectly true. very good deal for the money, and they do seem to brake better than other rims ive used. all in all a good buy!

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   sun xj (i think), and cheap crap rims...

Bike Setup:   mongoose a50r, all lx, panaracer fire xc pro, time atac, much more...

Submitted by Steven a Cross Country Rider from Petaluma, CA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap. Strong. Reasonably light. Simple. Comes in both road and mountain sizes, both 36 and 32 hole. Comes in black (though I had to do some searching...).

Weaknesses:    None, as far as I'm concerned.

Bottom Line:
I've been running these rims on my fixed/beater bike for over a year now. They were the first set of wheels I ever built, and I've put them through hell. Foul weather, light off-roading, etc. and they keep asking for more. They've only required a minor amount of touch-up truing here and there (more than I can say for a set of machine built wheels...). The only issue has been that the rear rim developed a slight inward dent near the seam (probably from when I was running narrow tires but still riding up/down/off curbs). It has no effect on the ride (since I don't need a rear brake) and the wheel stayed true nonetheless.

Just about a month or so ago I decided to go with these rims in black for my mountain rebuild when my Mavics wore out based on their great record on my fixie. So far they're also holding up fantastically.

Basically, if you need a cheap, no nonsense, do everything, NOT mavic rim, this is a good choice. I wouldn't recommend it for heavy freeriding or downhilling, but you probably could have figured that out on your own.

Purchased At:   lickbike.com and eBay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 238's (or something like that - OE on my '97 Diamondback), Mach 1 CFS (junk OE on my '04 Cannondale R400 that I rode across the US)

Bike Setup:   I'm using these rims on both of my bikes:
1. Diamondback Zetec 4.1 w/ rigid fork and Surly Singleator. Big ring and middle ring on a LX crank up front, two cogs in the back, with about 4 links of removable chain (via two Powerlinks) so I can easily switch between a good high gear for pavement and a good medium gear for trails. On One Mungo moustache bars. Avid SD7 brakes. Original LX hubs (rear silent clutch) relaced by me to black CR18's with black Wheelsmith spokes.
2. Takara tourer from the 70s converted to a fixed commuter/beater bike. 700c CR18's laced 3x to a Suzue basic (R) and radially to a vintage Normandy (F) by me with DT's.