Stans NoTubes ZTR Olympic Rim

4.33/5 (24 Reviews)
Weight : 347 grams MSRP : $85.00

• Every other rim in the world has a bead hook. This rim does not.
  • This new rim design will eliminate the bead hook and move the sidewall of the rim down by 2-3mm.
  • By eliminating the bead hook and lowering the sidewall by 2-3mm we reduce the weight of the rim. Some if this material can be used in the center part of the rim making it stronger and stiffer.
  • The curve of the rim sidewall is the same shape as the bead of the tire so they fit together like a ball and socket joint. This design will help reduce the strain on the tire bead while creating a tighter seal.
  • By lowering the sidewall of the rim we also reduce the mechanical leverage the tire has on the rim. This will make the rim stiffer and last longer by eliminating flexing that can cause cracking.
  • With these short sidewalls the tire should not hit the rim and pinch flat as often as standard rims, either with or without tubes. This design will allow you to run lower pressures and use 4mm more of the tire than ever before. The tire will have larger air volume giving you better traction than any rim in the world.
  • Can be used with or without tubes.

Submitted by marcus a Racer from saskatoon sask

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    This is a custom wheelset. X7 hubs, DT spokes. These wheels are LIGHT and STRONG! Tires are easy to seat and hold air well.

Weaknesses:    none of note yet.

Bottom Line:
This wheelset is 350 grams lighter than the old set, stronger and more responsive. I would not go back to the
old wheel set, to race with. The old ones are my training wheels now! Stans does it right and backs it up!

Favorite Trail:   Silverwood Race loop

Purchased At:   Bruces cycle works

Similar Products Used:   WTB rims on SLX hubs with cheapo spokes( came with the bike)

Bike Setup:   2011 marin Palisades Trail, used for XTERRA racing.

Submitted by cefri a Cross Country Rider from davao city, philippines

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:    very light yet very durable . . .

Weaknesses:    have not seen one yet . . .

Bottom Line:
best buy . . .

Favorite Trail:   manukan trail

Purchased At:   bisikleta

Similar Products Used:   crankbrothers cobalt xc

Bike Setup:   sta cruz blur xc, w/ 2011 sram xo components

Submitted by amillmtb a Racer from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, Stiffness, Bead Stocket Technology (BST), Stans Yellow Tape, NoTubes Customer Service

Weaknesses:    Stickers chip, and come off easily

Bottom Line:
I ordered these rims to replace the stock crap that came on my Rush. These rims blew my mind; they weighed in at 332g and 333g. I built my wheels with a Lefty front hub and a Ringle Dirty-Flea rear, laced with DT Revolutions 1.8/2.0's, and aluminum nipples. The final weight is 1390g with the yellow tape installed. I have been riding these wheels since July and have not had to true them yet. I am a 155lb racer, so these wheels have seen some miles. They have held up surpassing my expectation.

I have run three different tire set ups on this wheel and have had no problem airing them up with a floor pump. I currently run Specialized S-Works The Captain 2.0, and I have previously run 2.0 Larsen TT's and 2.1 CrossMark's. Running a little under the recommended sealant, all three only lost about 3-5psi a week, which is really impressive.

To address my only beef with Notubes product, the stickers: They do chip and come off easily, but they can be ordered through the LBS, and are cheap. It's not a big deal, but it's the only weakness that I could find with these rims.

Buy the Olympic rims if:
~You are interested in a light rim
~You are interested in reducing the rolling resistance of your current set up
~You want to make the switch to tubeless easy
~You Like low maintenance

Don’t Buy the Olympic Rims if:
~You are over 200lbs
~You run a high spoke tension, like with Ti Spokes

I don’t ever see myself owning another race wheel not made my Stan’s NoTubes.

Favorite Trail:   Hartwood, Frick, 7 Springs

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush, Lefty, ZTR Olympic's, X-0, XTR crank, Avid Juicy's, Specialized S-Works the Captain 2.0

Submitted by Eric a Racer from Miami, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, tubeless works as advertised with standard tires. Held up to this 185lb rider.

Weaknesses:    Tricky learning curve depending on tires used.

Bottom Line:
Excellent setup. I'm running with the rim strips. I've used 3 different standard, non-tubless Kenda tire models with ZERO problems. Blue Groove, Nevegal and SB8 and they've all mounted well. I've found once you mount a tire for the first time, it's much easier to remount it when switching tires. I recently put back my Nev/BG setup and they grabbed the bead after 2 pumps. I did it different and had the valve at the bottom and it was great. One thing I did learn early was to make sure you let the crystals settle to the spout before filling the pouring cup. Then make sure to get the liquid swirling in the cup before pouring it in the tire. It helps keep the crystals suspended in the liquid instead of settling at the bottom. When I did this, it sealed up the non-tubeless sidewalls MUCH better/sooner.

I'm more of a finesse rider so I don't jump much, but I do like to have a little fun with smaller drops and they've held up. Miami trails are mostly roots and rocks to they get a constant pounding and have held true. Have burped air a bit but never anything that stopped my ride.

As for customer service they've been great. I only bought the Rims from them. I got the Hubs and Spokes from my LBS and Stans told me what size spokes to get so I could just tell the shop instead of having to figure it out. I even got the nipples from Stans because they had them in Gold to match the hub. This weekend my friend slammed into my front wheel at full speed and pretty much ruined the rim. Stans was nice enough to give me a crash replacement price. Would definitely purchase again.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   Stans Direct

Similar Products Used:   No other tubeless wheelset

Bike Setup:   Fuel EX7 with ZTR Olympics on Hope Pro 2s

Submitted by Dave from Dallas, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2008

Strengths:    ZTR Arch rims (as there is not a category yet): Competitive weight, stiff, easy to inflate, more air volume, flatter profile (more tread on trail due to BSD - Bead Socket Design).

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Had the wheels built by Rbikes.com . I am very pleased with rims and overall wheel build. There is nothing more disappointing than having a new set that goes out of true after a few rides or is visited by the wheel fairies every time I brake hard and the spokes sound like a harp...

This is my wife's bike, she rides more trail than XC. She noticed the stiffness right away (rims + DT Swiss 9mm hubs).
This is a wheel set that inspires confidence.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Richards Bikes or www.RBikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 717's, 819's and ZTR Flow's

Bike Setup:   Turner-'01 O2, SRAM XO Rear derailleur, shifters and comparable chain and rear cassette, Crank Brothers Cobalt crank set, XTR front derailleur, Thompson Stem and Seat Post, WTB saddle, Ergon grips, Larson 2.35 Highroller non-UST tires, and Avid Juicy 7 160 and 160mm brakes.

Submitted by Iwan Kemp a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    Tough, light.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I actually ordered a set of 355's, but agent did not have any stock and it was either these or Mavic's. So I went the Olympics based on my LBS' recommendation and I haven't looked back since.
These are light and sooooper fast rolling. Front and rear wheel weighs in at 1470g and I haven't had ANY issues. And I definately push them further and harder than what's intended.

Favorite Trail:   Eden / Delvera Blk Route

Purchased At:   Cycle Factory Store

Similar Products Used:   XT's, DT Swiss

Bike Setup:   Titus Moto Lite II

Submitted by Alex a Racer from Monterey, California

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, tubeless, price,

Weaknesses:    Rear rim needs truing about every 75-100 miles

Bottom Line:
Used for its intended purpose (XC Racing) these rims are great. Excellent rotating weight and I have not had any problems airing up Kenda Karma tires on the rims. Of the 5 tires that I've installed on the rims, 3 were seated with a hand floor pump.

The wheelset as held up fine after a full year of racing on them on various courses, including some technical trails with drops and log crossings.

These rims are best used on a full suspension bike that helps absorb the impact on a rough trail.

Favorite Trail:   Howell Mountain, Napa

Purchased At:   Joselyn's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 717, WTB,

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC, XTR cranks, XTR derailluer, Fox fork

Submitted by Giora Heymann a Cross Country Rider from Tel Aviv Israel

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2007

Strengths:    light weigth, holds the air as promised,runs with regular tires as tubeless and runs them at low pressure. I realy want to love them, but....

Weaknesses:    In one rim of the pair I have purchased there is a width difference of 0.4mm between the area of the welding point and the rest of the rim. This causes the bike to "drop" at this welded point every time I use the brakes! I use V-brake, and according to Stan these rims are to be used with v-brake. Needless to say that Stan stated that he never heard of it and he sent me to his dealer.
It took 8 weeks for the shipment to get here I examined 8 more rimes in a search of a straight one but no such luck. It seems as if the whole batch was made in some far place in the east were the QC is not enforced as it should. So here I am stuck with a defected rim and no one to take responsibility to this problem. The point is that the rims are probably great, light weight and such but when it comes to "standing behind your product" Stan is a total disappointment.

Bottom Line:
Basically I am still waiting...

Purchased At:   stan's dealer in Israel- Shop Harim

Similar Products Used:   Mavic tubeless.

Bike Setup:   salsa caballero, xtr, michelin, kcnc, king chris ect.

Submitted by James a Racer from Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    light and tubeless

Weaknesses:    this isn't an everyday riding wheel

Bottom Line:
Remember everyone, this is a RACING rim used for a LIGHTWEIGHT, RACING TIRE. I have this wheelset laced up with DT super comp spokes and hope hubs... its 1440gram, which is CRAZY light. I used kenda karma tires, which are only 2.0 in width.

This wheelset I only race on, I don't dare take this wheel set on long, rock rides. Yes, this isn't the strongest rim out there, however it sure is the lightest and is a great race-day rim.

Purchased At:   Efinger Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   mavic xc 717, xm 819

Bike Setup:   scott scale, xo, juicy carbons, easton bars, noir cranks

Submitted by chris r a Racer from tulsa

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Stan's olympic rim laced to DT hubs with revolution spokes. I use the olympic rim strip and am currently running Maxxis Crossmark tubeless tires. 2 cups of Stan's sealant. Inflated effortlessly with a floor pump. I am an expert racer and weigh 155lb. Usual pressure, 28psi. I have 4 races and lots of training rides on these wheels and other than touching them up after the intial build there have been no problems. I am so confident in this setup I don't carry a tube, just a bigair cartridge.

Maxxis tires are the way to go. They have a tread for every condition. Again, they inflate very easy. And if you want a bomber setup use the tubeless versions. Flats suck! Is it worth chancing a flat for 60 grams?!?

Similar Products Used:   mavic, shimano

Bike Setup:   truth, sram, magura, fox

Submitted by Doug a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight for > 150lb riders

Weaknesses:    Stated durable up to 170lb riders, but not. Tires blow off rims. Poor customer service coupled with a God complex. Employees who lie.

Bottom Line:
Been using Continental Verticals and explorers which were properly installed via Stan's instructions. One blew off and wrapped around the cassette ruining the rims now traveling on rocks. Send back to NoTubes stated probably a no charge, but charged my card $100.00 anyway. Next Season 3 ties blow off as calls to Stan brings tips that do not work and a response that they never heard of the problem with these Conti tires they sell. @ more wreck rims, $250.00 later and Stan states that he had Vertical pro's blow off in his shop. Still sells them and still charges his clients when rims are ruined. Unsafe and inmoral. Not a everday riding rim for anyone over 150, does not stay true.

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Mavic,etc

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 for cross country

Submitted by Don C. a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight.

Weaknesses:    None noted.

Bottom Line:
These rims, while somewhat fragile are exactly as I expected. They work well with the tires that I use, which are Kenda Karmas, and I mounted them using the yellow tape.
I ride XC and these wheels fit my purpose perfectly. I don't huck and weigh 150 lbs... so I haven't had a problem.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails

Purchased At:   Through notubes.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic tubeless.

Bike Setup:   Blur XC - Super light-weight with Stan's Olympic hoops with DT Swiss 240's.

Submitted by Kirk S from US

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2006

Strengths:    Light, strong, runs light regular tires as tubeless and runs them at low pressure which gives great stick and low rolling resistance. When it is working (which is most of the time), it is like magic.

Weaknesses:    I have only tried tires recommended by Stan and 3 of 6 have failed in the first mile by suddenly blowing off the rim with an explosion(even while others of the same make and model work wonderfully). Stan says I'm doing everything right but some tires may have a weak bead. Less of a problem is that some tires are hard to seal and take MUCH longer of an effort than Stan claims.

Bottom Line:
I had mine built by Dave (Speed Dream Wheels) based on reviews here. No matter what I do with this bike, and I ride hard and often, these rims stay true. However, all in all they make for a love hate relationship. I blame Stan. He may be a genius that has created the lightest and strongest wheel that can also run with light and strong regular tires at tubeless, BUT, it only works well when it works and fails big when it fails. All in all, I love them but must admit I dread running out of tread and changing a tire because there is no telling how many tires I will have to buy and install to get the magic rolling. I give a low value score for the high cost of the build, sealant, and especially tires that end up not working.

Purchased At:   Dave's Wheels-Speed Dream

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT, 2005 Minute-3 fork, etc... 26.5 lbs.

Submitted by CURTIS MCKEE a Weekend Warrior from CINCINNATI

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Strengths:    LIGHT

Weaknesses:    THEY ROLL SO WELL I GET LAZY

Bottom Line:
LIGHT WITH THE AMERICAN CLASSIC DISC 32 HUB. I KNOW THIS IS CRAZY BUT I AM AFRAID TO JUMP THEM. I HAVE BACKED OFF THE DROPS BECAUSE I AM AFRAID THEY WILL GIVE. I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE DOING THEM ANYWAY BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SMART DECISIONS ANYWAY.

Favorite Trail:   EI

Purchased At:   RESER

Similar Products Used:   MAVIC CROSSRIDE

Bike Setup:   06' YETI CARBON REAR 575

Submitted by rob bowers a Cross Country Rider from Mount Tamo Qld Australia

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2006

Strengths:    light especially if used without rubber strip, good alternative with diff method of holding tyre on rim

Weaknesses:    Yellow tape no so good as it does not conform well to rim profile. Some tyres won't stay on and can pop off

Bottom Line:
Serious cross country riding hasn't killed these rims in a year or weekend riding and semi-regular racing. These are not for heavy guys or abusive riders. They have stayed true and not needed any attention. I built them up myself and to the correct kg of force with a tensiometer and they came up nicely no-hassles. As a system I am committed to tubeless and with Conti Supersonics run between 30 and 35psi. They are a bit expensive, especially after having to bring them into the country myself. Sometimes Notubes can be helpful, but they get impatient if you ask to many questions (hey guys your comunication was ambiguous). So the rim itself has been a no-brainer. If you destroy light weight components often it'd be silly to think these are your choice, if a hard but controled rider that's not to heavy and you are at least a bit graceful in the way you ride over or into stuff then go ahead. On the notubes type tubless systems, they are not for the impatient or for people who do maintenance on the trail 'cause if you let the goo dry out you'll have hassles. Happy ridin'

Favorite Trail:   Nerang