Stans NoTubes ZTR Flow Rim

4.33/5 (12 Reviews)

AllThe great features youve comeTo enjoy in a Stans rim, including BST, plusTheyre stout enough for all mountain, heavy dutyTrail use. Welded seam FEA optimized center arch BST (Bead SocketTechnology) Can be used with or withoutTubes(YellowTape and vales sold separately) 28mm outer width, 22.6mm inner width Approximate weight 470 grams(26") ERD 26" 536, 29" 600mm

Submitted by hedonistic

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2014

Strengths:    Strong and true
Wide

Weaknesses:    More difficult than my Bontrager Mavic Sun (yea I know) and Cole rims to mount rubber on. Other than some Specialized butchers, chipe WTBs (I had one option at the LBS and they are great for the $) and Michelin street tires I am a Kenda guy.
Width may limit tire selection

Bottom Line:
I am 215 ride weight and I recently mistimed a jump hit a stream bank almost square front tire only and rode away with an almost true rim. If I had done on the Mavic 117s I all but tacoed I would have carried the bike out. If you are a moron who spends to much time rubber side up and think your CX bike is AM this may be your rim

Submitted by chadalex78

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2012

Strengths:    STRONG, durable, lightweight, stiff

Bottom Line:
Great rim for larger dudes... Im 6'1 200lbs and was constantly bending other rims such as stans arch... Very strong rim for the weight...

Submitted by Aaron Laverty a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2012

Strengths:    i feel these wheels are very strong i have jumped 40 foot plus gaps 10 foot plus drops and put these wheels through some nasty gnarl they are fine. dont know what evryone else is using, these xc guys must go real big haha. its possibly the spokes u are running ( i have cx-rays )its real strange how xc'ers of all people have managed to kill these wheels :S

Weaknesses:    a bit plain looking could do with pimping up graphics haha but thats just me

Bottom Line:
if your looking for a lightweight rim for your dh/fr and indeed all style bike, i feel that at the price x weight x strength ratio these rims are a no brainer compared to a lot of the competition out there. dont be put of by the reviews of these wheels being weak if u want i can send u some vids of what these babys can do haha. BUY THEM u wont be dissapionted ( sorry for my terrible spelling here and there lol )

Favorite Trail:   where ever my wheels can roll

Purchased At:   superstar components

Bike Setup:   scott voltage fr modded here and there with stans ztr flow rims

Submitted by reformed roadie a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2012

Strengths:    They can take a beating. Simple tubeless set-up w/ standard tires. No burbs, despite riding aggressively through some rocky chunder. Nice and wide.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I have a set of 650b Flows on my Blur LT. They are my trail/AM wheel set. Have been bullet-proof thus far, including a trip to a bike park.

Purchased At:   not so L, LBS

Similar Products Used:   Velocity Blunt, Blunt SL, and Synergy. Mavic Crosstrail. Forte X-Enduro.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz blur LT2, XT/X9, Fox 32 Vanilla Fit RLC

Submitted by DucJ a Downhiller from Bay Area, Ca.

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2011

Strengths:    Weight(lack thereof)
Ridgidity

Bottom Line:
These are great rims.
They have been used for jumping, dropping (over 3-4 feet)
Rocky, rooty blah, blah blah.
No problems.
They are still in great shape. No dents, no hops or flat spots.
I weigh about 195 ready to ride.
I run them tubeless with yellow tape and stans sealant without issues.
Tires I use are "Freeride" tires (SX casing or EXO)
not paper thin xc junk that is most likeley causing other people problems.
I also run more than 20psi normally. Although I have run as low as 15psi without issue. No rock gardens at that pressure though..That would be stupid....
Bottom line is, they are great rims, you just need know what you are doing..
Run good tires, run proper pressures for the conditions and if you jump and plan to "whip it". Do it right and land it straight and you should have no problems.
They can be abused if you are smart about it.

Favorite Trail:   Boondocks

Similar Products Used:   DT FR600, Mavic 823

Bike Setup:   2010 SXT,Coil front and rear, XO shifters,Derailleur,Cassette.Elixir Brakes.
SLX cranks, Thomson post, Bel Air saddle.

Submitted by FK a Cross Country Rider from Stateline, NV

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2011

Strengths:    Light , nice and wide they make your skinny tires FAT.

Weaknesses:    Weak, Over priced

Bottom Line:
I Like these rims lateral stiffness, they hold a line in the corners and rough sections. How do know its the rim and not the fork, ect? I swapped from salsa semi rims to these using the same spokes and hubs. Big difference.
Only problem is these supposed "free ride" rims cant hold up to small drops (3-4 ft). In only a few months of riding I flat spotted and cracked THE FRONT RIM! Although in the rims defense, they never pinched flatted or lost any air at all! So if you like your "free ridin" with both tires on the ground these rims are great.
I would say these are excellent if you want to plump up your tires and gain some precision in steering. These rims are PERFECT for full rigid bikes. If you want something burley, keep looking.

Favorite Trail:   Toads

Purchased At:   AEBike

Similar Products Used:   American Classics, all kinds of Bontrager, Salsa stuff, Roval

Bike Setup:   Titus racer X 29, full XT

Submitted by SimpleJon a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2011

Strengths:    Very light, great value

Weaknesses:    some flex on ascent, initial no tube set up with 2.25 Racing Ralphs problematic

Bottom Line:
These are a great light weight XC rim, (price was for a wheelset built on hope pro II hubs with CX ray spokes) I have compared them with mates carbon wheels and they are a similar weight. I have noticed a small amount of flex on ascent when compared to the crest but they are significantly lighter.
Used for DH they would collapse pretty quickly but they are not designed for that. I can't believe Stans are marketing them as AM or DH as others have indicated.
The only issue I had was getting the the tubeless set up with 2.25 Racing Ralphs correct, the first time a tire blew off the rim at 43psi on the way home from the builder. (Scared the living daylights out of the taxi driver). Second time it happened I was pumping them up from 34 to 40psi for the 3Km road section home from the local mtb park - always keep a tube handy. Third time lucky and I can run them at 45psi no problem touch wood

Favorite Trail:   Chang Mai

Purchased At:   Hand built on Hope P

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, DT Swiss

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Epic, XTR / XT Drive train, Magura Marta Magnesium SL

Submitted by dthomp325 a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I weigh 155 lbs without gear. I'm an aggressive XC rider and I ride 3 times a week. I like technical, gnarly, rocky trails. Stan's website claims these are 'heavy-duty' wheels, even going so far as saying they can be used for DH, so I figured I could replace my Mavic Crosslines and save some weight.

Wrong... I shouldn't have been dumb enough to think that I could get XC weight and heavy-duty durability in the same wheelset. These are made out of very thin aluminum that bends at the very thought of a rock, and they are nowhere near as durable as my Mavic Crosslines. I've had them for around 3 months, and I've had to use a crescent wrench to unbend the sidewall 5 times already. For comparison, I don't think I ever had a bent sidewall on the Crosslines, even after riding them for 2 years, with the same tires and pressures. I doubt they will last more than a season of hard use.

I don't necessarily think that these are bad rims, just that they are being mis-marketed by Stan's. The BST system works, and the wheel build quality was excellent, but they are lightweight XC rims for XC riders who run wider tires, they are NOT 'heavy-duty' or 'DH' rims. Note to Stan's: if you ever decide to make an actual 'heavy-duty' rim I might consider buying it.

Purchased At:   Tucson, AZ

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crosslines, custom wheels

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Reign

Submitted by jkovaly a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2010

Strengths:    Solid rim, doesn't bend, dent or flex. Wider than other rims provides better traction for tires, no pinch flats.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
These rims are amazing! Very stiff, no flex at all. I have ridden them hard over very rocky terrain for the last 6mos and they have held true. I used to get pinch flats with previous rims, i am running these with Mutanoraptor 2.4 tires at 25lbs w/tubes and have yet to get a pinch flat - maybe due to their low profile? Anyway, these 28mm wide rims work extremely well with wider tires, has really helped stablize my cornering. Well worth the $$

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss 430, other

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by wannabfast a Weekend Warrior from Saratoga, CA, US

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic combo of width, strength, stiffness and light weight

Weaknesses:    a bit expensive.

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended for all mountain style riding. Works well with a variety of wide tires (2.35-2.5) and non-ust tires work great with rim strips. I'm about 190 ready to ride and these wheels are true & round still after lots of hard rides at Demo Forest.

Purchased At:   Evolution Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   mavic 823, 819, DT 4.2 and no tubes 355

Bike Setup:   talas 36, rfx, sram x0/x9 drivetrain hadley hubs, hope m4

Submitted by slyfink a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, NCC-istan, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    Strength, weight, ability to build with spokes and hub you want.

Weaknesses:    to be honest, I can't say right now. even after 2 years. I wouldn't complain about the weight, they are lighter than the competition in this same class. I've always found the graphics to be butt ugly, but whatever, they're usually covered in mud.

Bottom Line:
Awesome. I'm surprised these have lasted this long. I ride 2-3 times a week in rocky muddy rooty East Coast conditions. I'm relatively heavy at 210lbs w/o gear, and I used to go through a rear rim a year on average. These are light and strong, have held up to two seasons of riding and the yellow tape seals well and holds air perfectly (virtually no air loss with proper UST tires).

I give these a high value rating because they cost about the same as the competition but last longer, and a high overall rating because they perform excellent. It's hard to go wrong with these puppies.

Favorite Trail:   censored by the NCC

Purchased At:   No-Tubes.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 819, Rhyno-Lites, Sun Singletracks (came stock on 05 Enduro)

Bike Setup:   05 Enduro. DHX Air 5.0; TALAS 36. Hone cranks, rear hub and rear derailleur. Stock Spec front 20mm hub. Tubeless with the yellow tape (Schwalbe UST Albert in front and High Roller LUST in the rear)

Submitted by Iwan a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    Light for what it is and can do
Stiff

Bottom Line:
I am a big fan of Stan's rims. I have used ZTR Olympics on my Racer-X and Moto Lite and they survived beyond what they were supposed to. Same with the Flow rims.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai / Harkerville and Jonkers at night