Stans NoTubes ZTR Flow 29er Rim

4.82/5 (17 Reviews)

Stan's No Tubes used years of experience in tubeless rim innovation to build the ultimate tubeless all mountain rim, ZTR Flow.

Submitted by jonshonda

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, good looking, and wide. Just how I like my ladies!!

Weaknesses:    The stickers seam cheap, and were put on crooked.

Bottom Line:
I bought these ( the new Flow EX ) cuz I am a clyde who needed a bulletproof wheelset. I also wanted a wide rim for added volume and when running fatty tires for the profile of the tire to look less like a lightbulb, and more like a horseshoe.

I have had these for a couple hundred miles, mounted my Specialized Tires with stans sealant and a floor pump. The stickers ( which I might just take off ) already have multiple nicks/gashes and were put on crooked. WTF?

Thanks Stans!!

Submitted by hardtailharry a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    just like they say. durable heavy duty downhill crash and smash. beat it hard on the rocks stays true. Xcellent rim. If you want the no tube option i suggest you got to you LBS for install and you wont be back for a year or more. Really great product. price comparisons vs quality beats out all others.

Weaknesses:    NONE! unless you decide to go no tubes @ home on your own. Damn hard to do !

Bottom Line:
durable,strong, great if you want no tubes and still great if you run tubes either way xcellent!!! BUY EM 4get you have em.

Purchased At:   handspun

Submitted by leoferus a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2012

Strengths:    They take punishment. I mean serious punishment. No really, PUNISHMENT.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I am a Clydesdale at 220lbs but I began the season at 235lbs. I put these on after I broke the weld on my stock front wheel. My LBS hand-built these and had me go through a break-in process. The result, they have never gone out of true. I repeat, NEVER OUT OF TRUE! I ride rocks, I do small three or four foot drops, I bash into things, land small jumps, crash, etc. I'm not easy on them. I have scratched the paint off by bashing into rocks, dinged them so loud landing on rocks that riders behind me have been alarmed. And yet, no problems.

I recommend these for anyone that tortures their bikes. They are simply awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill, White Clay, Middle Run, Iron Hill.

Purchased At:   Wooden Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Yeah, right. Nothing compares.

Bike Setup:   2011 GT Zaskar Expert. Captains wrapped on the wheels.

Submitted by crclawn

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, able to run lower PSI, more tire contact with ground.

Weaknesses:    A few tires like Geax TNT are a mother F to mount. Other than that, almost none.

Bottom Line:
I ride alot of rocky, gnarly nasty stuff. I weight about 200 + 10 pounds with riding gear. My DT swiss where out of true or out of round alot. The Flows have solved all my problems. They build up stiff and only require minimual tweaking even when you beat the F out of them. You are able to run lower PSI and get more tire contact with ground. I wish I would have started using these sooner. Yes, you can get stiffer with carbon fiber but at 10 times the cost. I now own three sets of these. I want to go carbon fiber but just cant justify it when the Flows are a 1/10 of the cost.

Submitted by dblspeed

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2012

Strengths:    Everything.

Weaknesses:    The newest crop of tubeless compatible tires won't fit this rim.

Bottom Line:
I own 3 set of Flow wheels, the first being 4 years old and still being ridden, and still can't find a fault with this rim, just an excellent do it all, strong, light enough performer.

Submitted by Slackadaisical a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Strengths:    Crashing at speed into a large, high visibility concrete road barrier is an effective way to test the integrity of your rims. They passed with flying colours, leaving the fork to absorb the brunt of the impact, shortening the wheelbase by two inches. The wide profile of the ZTR Flow 29er provides a large contact patch, important for a mountain bike. These rims are well finished and can be configured as tubeless or tubed.

Weaknesses:    Weight, maybe. The width of the ZTR Flow limits the choice of narrower tires. These rims are only available in black or white. The white rims are fractionally heavier. Price could be a bit lower.

Bottom Line:
I was after 29er XC rims for disc brakes and prepared to pay for something that would last. I read positive reviews, saw their wide profile and immediately ordered them. I failed to notice, however, that in fact these were rated as downhill rims, albeit on the light side. Surviving a hard impact unscathed, these rims have validated my choice, as they have always remained true. It follows then, that in my finite wisdom, I am running them tubed. Would I buy these again? More than likely, but this time in white. Theses rims have been a sound investment.

Purchased At:   Head For The Hills

Similar Products Used:   Mavic XC 717 Disc [26”]. These weren’t impacted tested.

Bike Setup:   Singular Swift, Rohloff Hub, Hope BB, Mono Mini’s & Pro II Hub, Raceface Deus XC cranks, Blackspire Big-Slim pedals, Thompson Elite stem, On-One Mary bar, Cane Creek Thudbuster, Selle SMP saddle, Chris King No thread set, ZTR Flow’s with Racing Ralphs and lots of ‘copter tape.

Submitted by TheFCuddy a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    Very rugged, tubeless made easy!

Weaknesses:    None for me

Bottom Line:
I am 6'6" 245lbs suited up and I have issues destroying wheels. I found Prowheelbuilder.com and built up a set of 36 spoke niner wheels. Two weeks later I put my Nevagals on, dumped in the Stans Juice and inflated with a floor pump. It was amazing to run 28-30psi compared to the standard 38psi required to not pinch tubes. Tubeless is real mountain biking, I can feel the earth now! The Flows are holding up very well for me, I hammer them into endless log overs at Belmont Plateau and smash them into rocks at Wissahickon. I try to be smooth but the fact of the matter is a man of my size and heft is hard on equipment. These wheels are as solid as the day I received them with about 4-5 rides a week for three months now.

Favorite Trail:   Belmont Plateau

Purchased At:   ProWheelBuilder.com

Similar Products Used:   First time Tubeless

Bike Setup:   ZTR Flow Wheels 36H, DT Swiss 14 Gauge straight pull spokes and brass nipples, XT QR Hubs, Kenda Nevagal 2.2 Tires

Submitted by xjpart2 a Cross Country Rider from Sandy, Utah

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    The set up to tubeless could not have been either. These wheels also stay true very well and take a beating.

Weaknesses:    Price, but you get what you pay for 9 times out of 10.

Bottom Line:
I basically narrowed my choices down to the Velocity Blunt 29er rim and the Flow 29er rim. I was looking for a little wider tire to get a wider footprint out of some cushy tires (front tire widening was my main objective). I needed wheels and a front fork with more power and travel, I was also on a budget. Durability was also a concern.

I chose the Flow wheel, Hope Pro II's, and run a 2.4 Ardent up front. It helped me hang with my friends riding all mountain and downhill bikes, most of the time.

This now rides in a Fox fork up front, and could not be a better combination.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Orion Cycles via Eba

Similar Products Used:   All sorts of rims set up ghetto tubeless

Bike Setup:   have run predominately on a GF ht 29er, but now on a GF full suspension 29er

Submitted by masterofnone a Weekend Warrior from hopwell junction new york

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    Strong without adding too much weight, spreads out tire for better traction and tire stability, tubeless setup is a cinch

Weaknesses:    Price is a little higher than some rims but the ease to set up tubeless was worth it

Bottom Line:
The stock rims than came on the bike were way too narrow, the tire squirm bothered me, so I went shopping. I looked at several rims and decided to go with the tried and true flows, especially since I intended to go tubeless. I had my LBS build up a pair of white rims with basic xt hubs and silver spokes. The tires are more stable with increased traction, I don't notice the weight increase, and setting up tubeless was the easiest I have ever done. No rim strips, no packing tape, no PITA foam rubber weather stripping needed by some rims, just yellow tape and the tubeless valve. I have been converting rims and tires tubeless for years and this was the easiest by a long shot. Even the first time the beads effortlessly pop into the hook with a floor pump and I have done it without soaping them up. The "bead socket technology" sounds like marketing hype but it's the real deal. The rims have not needed truing since they were built and they get rammed into rock gardens on a regular basis. For those that think they are too heavy you need to ride a road bike, get into shape and grow a set. I know it's a bling thing but the bonus is the white rims and old school silver spokes match my bike perfectly (I'm bored with black rims and spokes) and really "pimp" it out.

Purchased At:   Beacon Cycles

Similar Products Used:   round and some not so round rims after I was done with them

Bike Setup:   '08 kona hei hei 29er

Submitted by dosman45 a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2010

Strengths:    Super easy to build up and make tubeless with only stans yellow tape and olympic valves and fluid

Weaknesses:    a little heavier than others, but not too bad

Bottom Line:
The Flows seem very strong and burly. The hubs are not too bad, they seem a step below the Hope Pro 2's I was using, and are very similar to XT's as far as quality (which in my opinion are below the Hope's). But at $340 for the set they will do the job. I am running them on my Salsa Dos Niner and total bike weight is right at 24.5lbs. I will probably keep the rims and replace the hubs eventually with either Hope Pro 2's, King's, or something of that quality. But so far I am very pleased.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Hope Pro 2's, DT Suiss 4.2d's, Mavic, Rhyno Lite

Bike Setup:   With the new SRAM X9 hubs, DT Suiss spokes 2.0/1.8 and brass nipples. Set up tubeless with stans tape and valves

Submitted by ozzybmx a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Strengths:    Super strong , stiff and wide.
I have just got all the parts to build another set for a new bike.

Bottom Line:
I already have a set of Flows/hopes and they have performed beautifully for the past year , im in the process of building up another set .

At 210lb loaded up its a no brainer . Also if you like to ride big tyres you need a wide rim or you will end up with higher pressures to combat tyre roll, i currently run a 2.4 and 2.25 at 22psi tubeless with no roll.

Awesome rims for trail riding and a good price too.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   Many DT, Mavic and Fulcrum wheels

Bike Setup:   Pivot 429 & Vassago Bandersnatch

Submitted by BeerBikeBerm a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2009

Strengths:    Wide, strong, light for it's strength (550g by my scale), easy tubeless setup (with Weirwolf LT).

Weaknesses:    Like all Stans rims, can be slightly difficult to build up to be as true as standard rims (not an issue for disc rims). Possible to over-tension (I've done it to Olympics, doh!).

Bottom Line:
My previous rims were too narrow and soft. They dented every single time I bounced off of the rim, the bead would pop off when I hit off-camber too hard, a couple bad crashes ONLY because of the rims. Yes, I was asking a bit much of Weirwolf LTs on XC width rims, but I needed the cushion for the fully rigid ride.

Now I can run 18-20 psi up front and 20-22 psi in the rear tubeless with no issues. At the lower pressure I bounce off the rims a few times a ride and always expect to see dents.
No dents! And the weight is low enough where I don't find myself wishing for the 355s or Arches (140lb rider).

Highly recommend

Similar Products Used:   WTB SpeedDisc 29er, Maddux Explorer 29er

Bike Setup:   Raleigh XXIX rigid

Submitted by jaghouse a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    Stout

Weaknesses:    Gram counters may complain.

Bottom Line:
Have not had any issues with this rim in the one year of use. Stiff for a 29 inch wheel. Seems solid and should last a long time.

Submitted by cormactooze a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town, SOUTH AFRICA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    Build strong 29er wheel, makes tubless a doddle, wider foot print

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
Build strong 29er wheel, makes tubless a doddle, wider foot print-get em

Favorite Trail:   Pats Track

Bike Setup:   29er HardTail, Wide tires, 5" Fork-20mm thru axle, King Headset & Hubs, Stans Flow Rims, Stans Kit, SRAM X-0, Carbon Post & Bars, Disk Brakes

Submitted by Rainman a Cross Country Rider from AU

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    Light, well made, strong, can be run with tubes or tubeless.

Weaknesses:    Price. Too expensive.

Bottom Line:

These rims have revolutionised the bike industry as far as running tubeless tires go for the majority of riders everywhere. The Stans Flow rim makes it easy to set up a tubeless system using stock folding bead tires like never before. The rims are strong enough to withstand heavy XC and light to medium AM riding without breaking.
I have ridden the snot out of my two wheelsets for a year with no problems, a light tune with the spoke wrench after they break in was all that is needed.
These are very good light strong rims, but their greatest asset is the fact that you can easily set them up to run tubeless with ordinary folding bead tires using Stans sealant, a valve and some Stans yellow rim tape.
I use Panaracer Rampage tires on these rims and have had no problems with burping or flats running tubeless, at all.

I chose these rims as Product of the 2007 Year simply because they make running tubeless so easy for everyone.

The bottom line?

A great product, over priced but reliable. Set them up with a good hub and strong DT Swiss spokes and thrash them. They certainly deserve high praise because they are a great product..

Rainman.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Lots of different rims.

Bike Setup:   Rip9 AM and MCR9 HT.

Rims = Stans ZTR Flow EX 29er versus Mavic TN 719 Disc 29er

Which would you go with? I want a new "big boy" wheel set, and these two rims are what I'll choose from. For reference, I'm 6'1.5", stout build, and weigh around 250 pounds all decked out in riding gear. I ride a hardtail 29er. All of my riding is tame-to-fairly-tame XC and/or light trail. No j ... Read More »

ZTR Flow 29er, what hub is best?

I bought a set of ztr flow 29er wheels during the sale a few months back and need to know what hubs are the best for them?Read More »

spoke length: ZTR Flow 29er + Hope II Evo front

dear all, quick question, anybody knows what spoke lenght to go for a ZTR Flow 29er (!) rim and Hope II Evo hub for front? Thanks a lot, BjörnRead More »

Paid Spam: 29er ZTR Flow(s) With I9 Enduro Hubs

[url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=64901&cat=10[/url] Thanks!Read More »

Stans ZTR flow 29er question.

I need to build a wheelset for my pending Lenz Behemoth, and Im looking at the Stans ZTR flow 29er due out in January. Website says 525 grams, 28mm wide, 18.6 high. Any thoughts on using this with King iso hubs for a 5 inch 29er trail bike for a 225 lb rider??? No jumps over 4 feet, some rollers a ... Read More »