Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest 29er Rim

3.26/5 (19 Reviews)

One of the lightest 29er options, Stan's ZTR Crest 29er blends features of a ZTR Race rim with a ZTR 355, making it the best of both worlds.

Submitted by Otto a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2013

Strengths:    Very light, not expensive

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'3" and 180 lbs, and have used these for XC riding and racing (Orbea Alma carbon 29er) with several tires (Hutchinson Toros, Stan's Ravens, currently Specialized Renegade), and these have mounted with no troubles, and stayed on with no significant air loss. These are fabulous rims for climbing, esp with light tires, but may not hold up for aggressive or heavy riders.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    Light. Strong (enough) for trail riding + perfect for cross-country riding / racing.

Weaknesses:    Wheels require frequent fine-tuning as they migrate slightly out of true after rocky trails.

Bottom Line:
Running on Scalpel 29er 1 replacing DT Swiss Tricon XM1550 (overly complicated wheels that weigh 200gr more and require expensive special tools and techniques to true). I weigh 160lbs and race Cat 1 plus ride a lot of rocks and roots on trails. Set-up with Schwalbe Racing Ralphs was a breeze. Tire burping can happen from heavy side impact on square rocks. With adaquate sealant in tires, they reseal immediately and loose around 3-5 PSI.

Wheels stiffness is fine. Flex can be felt only in big g-outs. Not enough to throw you off line.

Basically getting carbon wheel weight for a fraction of the price. Not a bad equation.

Duration Product Used:   3 months and 300+ miles

Purchased At:   Stan's

Submitted by 9er Mark a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2012

Strengths:    Mount up tires effortlessly and make a very light wheelset. They are designed for cross country and light trail use with a weight limit of 190 lbs. I have not had to true and retension my rims as another reviewer has suggested but that could my riding style.

Weaknesses:    None if used for intended purpose.

Bottom Line:
I don't understand people that have problems mounting tires. I use Maxxis brand and have no problems mounting or sealing up tubeless on any Stan's rim. Put the bead in the channel and use a little soap and water and they go on without a tool. Very light and durable for intended purpose which is cross country and light trail for riders under 190 lbs. If you weigh 235 lbs and ride rough terrain then don't knock these rims since you are not using them as they were intended.

Favorite Trail:   Mills Peak in Lakes Basin Ca

Duration Product Used:   2 yrs

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Stan's Arch

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz SL 29

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Extremely WEAK!!!

Bottom Line:
I'm a 235lb fit rider. While decending into a turn my rim GAVE OUT and taco'd leaving me with a broken Clavicle. If you are over 175lbs DON'T even think about these rims!

Submitted by LBVandal a Racer from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2012

Strengths:    fast, fast, fast

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
OK, with all the negative marks with this rim, I felt the need to pipe up. This rim with WTB Nano's fly. Granted, I'm only carrying 125lbs, and I don't do any drops, just miles and miles of XC with plenty of rock gardens at a pretty high speed, but I love these rims.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore

Purchased At:   fellow racer

Bike Setup:   Carbon Tallboy

Submitted by Johan Malan a Racer from Johannesburg, RSA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2012

Strengths:    Light, strong, EASY to mount tubeless tyres

Weaknesses:    None thus far

Bottom Line:
These rims have been great, I can't understand the problems the other guys have had, I've mounted several different tyres ( R Ralphs, Maxxis x mark, Bontrager Team 29-1, Maxxis Ikon ) on these with absolutely no problems, Tubeless, seated easily and well with a floorpump. Fixed and re-seated many tyres out on the trail also no problems.
I'm a heavy 180 pounds and on a rigid SS this means big hard impact on these rims in rough rocky RSA conditions.
Perhaps their builds were not good for the others, I'm super happy.

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss m520. Mavic N719, American classic

Bike Setup:   SS 29er, carbon, rigid carbon fork

Submitted by DavidS a Racer from Atlanta, GA. USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2011

Strengths:    Very light and both of my rims were under quoted weight. BST is the real deal: I have never burped a tire on these rims. Properly wide, ensuring you get optimal volume from your tire (no pear-effect).

Weaknesses:    Certainly not the stiffest rims around. Build must be extremely precise to ensure durability (low margin of error for the unskilled wheelbuilder).
These are definitely on the "cheap" and "light" sector of Mr. Bontrager's Cheap-Light-Strong triangle. If you don't mind spending a lot more, the guys at Enve make some rims that are towards the other end.

Bottom Line:
I have these on American Classic disc hubs with the 15QR in front and a standard QR in the back. They weigh 1450 +/-10g grams. Spokes are 32/3x with DT Revolution spokes and ProLoc nipples all around. There are no eyelets on this rim so I strongly recommend brass nipples or grease on every nipple when building. Equal spoke tension is the key to building these rims into a durable wheelset. Stan himself (who is extremely knowledgeable and helpful) sent me build recommendations which I followed and have therefore had no problems. It is critical that the spokes are tensioned to 100 kgF. This means that the wheels must be built by an experienced, competent wheelbuilder with a calibrated spoke tensiometer.

I built these one year ago for a race-day wheelset but I have come to use them for daily training as well. I have re-tensioned the wheels three times. Total mileage is well over 5000 offroad miles including racing and training. I have broken two spokes due to rock impacts but this is the weakness of the Revolution spokes. There is not a single dent in either rim and they are both still laterally and radially true to within .5 mm.

Contrary to some other reviews I've seen for this rim, mounting tires on this rim is no more difficult than on any other tubeless rim as long as you get the beads into the center rim channel. NoTubes has detailed instructions on their website.

If you are under 150 lbs these are fine for an everyday XC wheelset. If you are between 150 and 170, I would use them for race day only and I would use at least a DT SuperComp spoke. I would go with the Arch for an everyday wheelset otherwise.
If you are a rhino and plow through everything, these are not for you. If you want a wheelset on which you can neglect the spoke tension, these are not for you.
If you want to try your hand at building your own wheels, these should not be your first. Hand them to a builder who knows what he or she is doing and you will be satisfied.

If you are an XC racer who rides with finesse and runs low tire pressures and doesn't mind maintaining spoke tension, these are a great option.

Purchased At:   NoTubes.com

Similar Products Used:   ZTR Arch, ZTR Race

Bike Setup:   Sub 20 lb. carbon 29er hardtail. 135 lb. Elite XC/Endurance racer.

Submitted by 29ger a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2011

Strengths:    Light and stiff enough for me. Maxxis Ikons mounted up tubless super, super easy (with a half-operating floor pump).

Weaknesses:    Rear needs trued now (~3/16" out), but nothing out of the ordinary.

Bottom Line:
Saved a lot of weight off the wheels with these, and it made a world of difference. Work great tubeless.

Purchased At:   Speeddream

Similar Products Used:   Heavy Wienmann

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Mojave 29er geared

Submitted by skennedy a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Not very strong, VERY VERY....did I say Very difficult to mount tires on. If flat on the trail or race good luck.. You might as well pack your Lunch!

Bottom Line:
I was trying to build up a Lightweight/Reliable Racer that was a capable trail bike. Nothing crazy light. With pedals It weighs in at 26 even. The Stan's rear rim is nearly impossible to mount tires on. I have tried Maxxis, Schwalbe, and Specialized tires, just trying to find a tire that I could change without too much problem on the trail. Well I've come to the conclusion that the tire doesn't exist! I'm about 160 lbs and I don't have problems keeping my rims straight until I bought a Stan's Rim. I'm having to straighten it after every 1 or 2 rides. I haven't had to touch my Fulcrum's or Easton's! Needless to say this Rim is headed for the Trash Can...I wouldn't wish this rim on my worst enemy. Because of the Specialized Rear Hub set up I have to run their hub with 32 a 32 spoke rim. Looks like I will be buying a DT or a Mavic Rim and building a new wheel. What a waste of MONEY. If you read the other reviews this is not a new problem! I think Stan makes the wheel slightly larger in Diameter so most tires can be run tubeless without coming off the rim...WOW what a great secret! Did I say don't waste your time or money on this rim! If you do you will be SORRY!

Favorite Trail:   Foresthill Divide Loop

Similar Products Used:   Easton,Mavic, Fulcrum, and Shimano

Bike Setup:   New Specialized Epic 29er (aluminum)Frame, Custom buildup, Brain Fork, Mostly SRAM parts, Formula Brakes, 1X 10 setup

Submitted by projection a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, On

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, Width.

Weaknesses:    hard to mount, a bit soft

Bottom Line:
You really have to keep a close eye on the spoke tension as you build them up. And in the break-in period, check true and tension often. Rim is soft by default since is such a light rim, so don't even go near 100kgf of spoke tension, as it will warp the rim, spoke tension has to be a bit lower, and should only use DB spokes to accommodate rim flex.

Topped my list as the hardest tire and rim combo to mount(racing ralph), if you got a flat in a race, you are F*ed. My friend is running ZTR Flow, and he had no problem mounting them. Use an under size tube to make the job easier.

Favorite Trail:   Don

Similar Products Used:   Mavic A319

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain hammer 29 1X9 + reba rlt 100mm

Wheel: DT 14g/15g/14g 3X Hope Pro II

Submitted by dougifresh1 a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    Light and wide

Weaknesses:    Soft. Over-rated for weight max by No-Tubes

Bottom Line:
Notube states 170 lbs max. I'm under this and taco the rim on a medium technical trail. Just a little sideways hop and the rim is rubbing fork. Had to toss it with maybe 5 rides on it. Similar stories from others riding the Rockies. Just too soft for rocks. 2 on value for the weight. 1 on overall because Stans oversells their purpose.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Arch, flow both good. Crossmax 29er- very good.

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan, XT drive with 20mm front axle.

Submitted by AlexDireito a Cross Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    Very Light, Really Beautifull. with DtSwiss 240's Sapim CX spokes and aluminium nipples, the pair of 29er wheels are 1525 grs (UAU!!!!)

Weaknesses:    Very Very Weak, First time fitting the tires and the wheel needed retouching.
Nearly impossible to fit the tire. It took a professional (from a Stan's Dealer) over twho hours to fit the tires to the rim, and it was necessary to lube the rim with WD40 to make the tire pop into place.

Bottom Line:
Unless you're a Team rider with a mechanic crew behind you with a replacement set of wheels, if you puncture on the trail you'll be going home on foot...

Favorite Trail:   Arrábida

Purchased At:   ActionSports.de

Similar Products Used:   Alex-XC49 Disc

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 29er

Submitted by dlongto a Weekend Warrior from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Lite, easy tubless air-up

Weaknesses:    none for me (150lbs)

Bottom Line:
Super lite. For me, they are plenty strong with SuperComp spokes.

Favorite Trail:   Mary's Loop

Purchased At:   Golden Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   lots.

Bike Setup:   Steel rigid SS.

Submitted by mkk a Cross Country Rider from CO

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    super light; so easy to set up tubeless

Weaknesses:    light=weak

Bottom Line:
I really liked riding these wheels. The low weight was a noticeable difference from other wheelsets I've tried. There were super easy to set up tubeless. I read the other reviews about flat spots, weak rims, etc., and didn't really believe it. So I bought them. Like I said, I liked riding them. Past tense. I ride xc, no huge drops, nothing crazy; I'm well within the weight limit for these rims. I crushed the rear rim hitting a rock at speed- similar to the millions of rocks I've hit at speed with other wheels with no problems. I give the rim 2 chilis, cuz they were a blast to ride, but they are wicked fragile, and a crap value.