Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest 29 Rim

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

The Stan's No Tubes ZTR Crest 29 Disc Rim is made for cross-country riding and racing and the overall rim weight underscores its intended usage. However, the inside rim width is 21mm which makes the Crest 29 a great rim if you like to run a bigger tire on your XC bike. Maybe you have a hardtail, or a singlespeed and some extra tire volume is what you're after. The 21mm width allows any tire, not just bigger tires, to have straighter sidewalls, a larger volume for more comfort, and a greater footprint for more traction. As Stan's No Tubes continues to improve their BST, or bead socket technology, their rim weights continue to plummet. Do the two factors go hand in hand? Stan's says they do. As they trim the fat from the outer portion of the rim -- the sidewall and bead hook, they can add material as needed to the wall thickness to make the ZTR Crest 29 tough enough for racing, yet lighter than the ZTR 355 29er rim.BST means that the rim itself has shorter sidewalls. This makes them stronger, more ding resistant, and lighter. The inside of the rim is perfectly matched to the bead seat diameter of a 29" tire. This makes the tubeless seal a good one, though the tires will be a very tight fit on the rim. In our experience, a set of thin but flat levers works best for installing/removing the tires. To make them tubeless you'll use Stan's yellow tubeless tape and one of their tubeless valve stems or one cut from an old inner tube. Stan's BST tubeless system creates tubeless seals that burp less, leaving you with more air inside your tire and not on your mind.Stan's ZTR Crest 29 Disc Rim is anodized Black or powdercoated White with red decals. The rim joint is pinned, welded, and machined for a true sidewall. They will also work with inner tubes. They have a 605mm ERD. This you'll need if you're calculating spokes for a custom wheelbuild.

Submitted by Jordan

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    - Holds tyres well, never had a problem with bead slipping off even below 15psi
- Super light

Weaknesses:    After about a year of use the front rim taco'd during a low speed crash. I honestly expected them to hold up given the low severity/speed of the crash but given the weight of these rims that's a risk you take. I'll happily take the risk again though and have ordered a new Crest wheel.

Bottom Line:
Great rim, just check spoke tension regularly and only use it for it's intended purpose: xc

Submitted by Komdotkom

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Super light!

Weaknesses:    No eyelets

Bottom Line:
I think people need to view this product for what it is, it's a light weight XC rim for riders under 200lb's.
I had mine built up with TWE hubs and tensioned correctly and have had no issues. They feel just as good as my Arch Ex's and would take these over Cross Max's any day of the week. For $80, how can you go wrong?

Submitted by LuVn29N a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    Other say this rim is not strong...I very much disagree. I show this rim no mercy at 285 lbs and I rid rough. Even on roads I am always droppin curbs bunny hoppin and poppin off everything I can. I have had them about a year and they have not even had to be trued...not once. I have had them retensioned as you should, but the rim was fine.

Weaknesses:    Hard as heck to get tires on. Took an hour of fighten to bet my Johnny T UST Fold-able Navengals on. But don't regret it for a moment.

Bottom Line:
I only gave these a 5 on value because I got them brand new for $70...the pair! I had them laced to Hope EVO 2s and presto! I have a set of awesome rims. I was leery when I saw they were the Crest...I thought I was buying the Flows which are definitely stronger. But the shop said to lace them with 2.0 straight guage spokes and they should be fine...maybe? After a year I have ridden some of the toughest trails around on purpose and by accident. They have been down the Sandy Ridge Trail..one af the trails used for down hill and enduro races in Oregon. Look it up on You Tube. These wheels have taken my 285lb. girth with out strain (OK most likely I have strained them). They have my air miles on them and they still hold true. They are perfectly true as they day they were built. I have been very impressed. I know people have had trouble with them, but I have not. i would recommend them to anyone, except a downhill racer or free styler.

Favorite Trail:   Pioneer Bridle Trail

Duration Product Used:   Over 1 yr

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Mavic, DT Swiss

Bike Setup:   Diamond Back Overdrive Frame, Saint Cranks, XO Grip Shift, XO Derailleurs, Straitine stem, Manitou Tower Pro Fork

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight and nice and wide for a 29er XC rim. Nice finish in black or white.

Weaknesses:    Requires spoke re-tensioning frequently despite being built to exact specs by a very experienced and well respected wheel builder. A fellow rider's front rim failed (taco) during an aggressive, hard turn on smooth single track. It resulted in a serious fall and visit to the emergency room. Rear required re-tensioning every 25 - 35 miles.

Bottom Line:
Every rider I know with exception of one (a novice rider who weighs 155 pounds) has had serious problems with the NoTubes Crest 29" rim. All but two of us changed rims because of the required maintenance with re-truing and re-tensioning every few rides and fear of serious failure on a ride or race.