Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest 29 Rim

3.42/5 (24 Reviews)

The Stan's No Tubes ZTR Crest 29 Disc Rim is made for cross-country riding and racing and the overall rim weight underscores its intended usage. However, the inside rim width is 21mm which makes the Crest 29 a great rim if you like to run a bigger tire on your XC bike. Maybe you have a hardtail, or a singlespeed and some extra tire volume is what you're after. The 21mm width allows any tire, not just bigger tires, to have straighter sidewalls, a larger volume for more comfort, and a greater footprint for more traction. As Stan's No Tubes continues to improve their BST, or bead socket technology, their rim weights continue to plummet. Do the two factors go hand in hand? Stan's says they do. As they trim the fat from the outer portion of the rim -- the sidewall and bead hook, they can add material as needed to the wall thickness to make the ZTR Crest 29 tough enough for racing, yet lighter than the ZTR 355 29er rim.BST means that the rim itself has shorter sidewalls. This makes them stronger, more ding resistant, and lighter. The inside of the rim is perfectly matched to the bead seat diameter of a 29" tire. This makes the tubeless seal a good one, though the tires will be a very tight fit on the rim. In our experience, a set of thin but flat levers works best for installing/removing the tires. To make them tubeless you'll use Stan's yellow tubeless tape and one of their tubeless valve stems or one cut from an old inner tube. Stan's BST tubeless system creates tubeless seals that burp less, leaving you with more air inside your tire and not on your mind.Stan's ZTR Crest 29 Disc Rim is anodized Black or powdercoated White with red decals. The rim joint is pinned, welded, and machined for a true sidewall. They will also work with inner tubes. They have a 605mm ERD. This you'll need if you're calculating spokes for a custom wheelbuild.

Submitted by wazel a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I've only ridden these wheels a few times, but I gotta say so far I love them. They are light (and I mean light!). The Crest is my first set of custom wheels, upgraded from factory synchros on my spark.

These are the 2014 Crest with stock ZTR 3.30 hubs. The hubs are louder than my factory wheel-set, but not annoyingly loud like Hope Pros.

I usually weigh 180 when geared up so I was worried I should go with the Arch instead, but the mechanic at my LBS talked me into the Crest due to weight savings. I will update this review in a few months. BTW, I mostly ride XC and some trail too. Wide variety of terrain, sand, loamy clay soils, even limerock areas.

For what its worth, I think MTBR should update their review sections. The Crest model has been updated substantially over the last several years which is generally not reflected in the reviews. In short, the current 2014 wheels/hubs are superior to older builds - so take that into consideration when you're reading reviews. It might help for Stans to add version numbers to the Wheels. Crest 2.0, 3.0 OK I'm done.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Bike Setup:   Scott Spark 950

Submitted by Jordan

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    - Holds tyres well, never had a problem with bead slipping off even below 15psi
- Super light

Weaknesses:    After about a year of use the front rim taco'd during a low speed crash. I honestly expected them to hold up given the low severity/speed of the crash but given the weight of these rims that's a risk you take. I'll happily take the risk again though and have ordered a new Crest wheel.

Bottom Line:
Great rim, just check spoke tension regularly and only use it for it's intended purpose: xc

Submitted by Otto a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2013

Strengths:    Very light, not expensive

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'3" and 180 lbs, and have used these for XC riding and racing (Orbea Alma carbon 29er) with several tires (Hutchinson Toros, Stan's Ravens, currently Specialized Renegade), and these have mounted with no troubles, and stayed on with no significant air loss. These are fabulous rims for climbing, esp with light tires, but may not hold up for aggressive or heavy riders.

Submitted by Komdotkom

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Super light!

Weaknesses:    No eyelets

Bottom Line:
I think people need to view this product for what it is, it's a light weight XC rim for riders under 200lb's.
I had mine built up with TWE hubs and tensioned correctly and have had no issues. They feel just as good as my Arch Ex's and would take these over Cross Max's any day of the week. For $80, how can you go wrong?

Submitted by LuVn29N a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    Other say this rim is not strong...I very much disagree. I show this rim no mercy at 285 lbs and I rid rough. Even on roads I am always droppin curbs bunny hoppin and poppin off everything I can. I have had them about a year and they have not even had to be trued...not once. I have had them retensioned as you should, but the rim was fine.

Weaknesses:    Hard as heck to get tires on. Took an hour of fighten to bet my Johnny T UST Fold-able Navengals on. But don't regret it for a moment.

Bottom Line:
I only gave these a 5 on value because I got them brand new for $70...the pair! I had them laced to Hope EVO 2s and presto! I have a set of awesome rims. I was leery when I saw they were the Crest...I thought I was buying the Flows which are definitely stronger. But the shop said to lace them with 2.0 straight guage spokes and they should be fine...maybe? After a year I have ridden some of the toughest trails around on purpose and by accident. They have been down the Sandy Ridge Trail..one af the trails used for down hill and enduro races in Oregon. Look it up on You Tube. These wheels have taken my 285lb. girth with out strain (OK most likely I have strained them). They have my air miles on them and they still hold true. They are perfectly true as they day they were built. I have been very impressed. I know people have had trouble with them, but I have not. i would recommend them to anyone, except a downhill racer or free styler.

Favorite Trail:   Pioneer Bridle Trail

Duration Product Used:   Over 1 yr

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Mavic, DT Swiss

Bike Setup:   Diamond Back Overdrive Frame, Saint Cranks, XO Grip Shift, XO Derailleurs, Straitine stem, Manitou Tower Pro Fork

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    Light. Strong (enough) for trail riding + perfect for cross-country riding / racing.

Weaknesses:    Wheels require frequent fine-tuning as they migrate slightly out of true after rocky trails.

Bottom Line:
Running on Scalpel 29er 1 replacing DT Swiss Tricon XM1550 (overly complicated wheels that weigh 200gr more and require expensive special tools and techniques to true). I weigh 160lbs and race Cat 1 plus ride a lot of rocks and roots on trails. Set-up with Schwalbe Racing Ralphs was a breeze. Tire burping can happen from heavy side impact on square rocks. With adaquate sealant in tires, they reseal immediately and loose around 3-5 PSI.

Wheels stiffness is fine. Flex can be felt only in big g-outs. Not enough to throw you off line.

Basically getting carbon wheel weight for a fraction of the price. Not a bad equation.

Duration Product Used:   3 months and 300+ miles

Purchased At:   Stan's

Submitted by 9er Mark a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2012

Strengths:    Mount up tires effortlessly and make a very light wheelset. They are designed for cross country and light trail use with a weight limit of 190 lbs. I have not had to true and retension my rims as another reviewer has suggested but that could my riding style.

Weaknesses:    None if used for intended purpose.

Bottom Line:
I don't understand people that have problems mounting tires. I use Maxxis brand and have no problems mounting or sealing up tubeless on any Stan's rim. Put the bead in the channel and use a little soap and water and they go on without a tool. Very light and durable for intended purpose which is cross country and light trail for riders under 190 lbs. If you weigh 235 lbs and ride rough terrain then don't knock these rims since you are not using them as they were intended.

Favorite Trail:   Mills Peak in Lakes Basin Ca

Duration Product Used:   2 yrs

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Stan's Arch

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz SL 29

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Extremely WEAK!!!

Bottom Line:
I'm a 235lb fit rider. While decending into a turn my rim GAVE OUT and taco'd leaving me with a broken Clavicle. If you are over 175lbs DON'T even think about these rims!

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight and nice and wide for a 29er XC rim. Nice finish in black or white.

Weaknesses:    Requires spoke re-tensioning frequently despite being built to exact specs by a very experienced and well respected wheel builder. A fellow rider's front rim failed (taco) during an aggressive, hard turn on smooth single track. It resulted in a serious fall and visit to the emergency room. Rear required re-tensioning every 25 - 35 miles.

Bottom Line:
Every rider I know with exception of one (a novice rider who weighs 155 pounds) has had serious problems with the NoTubes Crest 29" rim. All but two of us changed rims because of the required maintenance with re-truing and re-tensioning every few rides and fear of serious failure on a ride or race.

Similar Products Used:   ZTR 355, ZTR 355 Race, ZTR Arch,

Bike Setup:   Moots Mooto-X & Turner Sultan

Submitted by LBVandal a Racer from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2012

Strengths:    fast, fast, fast

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
OK, with all the negative marks with this rim, I felt the need to pipe up. This rim with WTB Nano's fly. Granted, I'm only carrying 125lbs, and I don't do any drops, just miles and miles of XC with plenty of rock gardens at a pretty high speed, but I love these rims.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore

Purchased At:   fellow racer

Bike Setup:   Carbon Tallboy

Submitted by Johan Malan a Racer from Johannesburg, RSA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2012

Strengths:    Light, strong, EASY to mount tubeless tyres

Weaknesses:    None thus far

Bottom Line:
These rims have been great, I can't understand the problems the other guys have had, I've mounted several different tyres ( R Ralphs, Maxxis x mark, Bontrager Team 29-1, Maxxis Ikon ) on these with absolutely no problems, Tubeless, seated easily and well with a floorpump. Fixed and re-seated many tyres out on the trail also no problems.
I'm a heavy 180 pounds and on a rigid SS this means big hard impact on these rims in rough rocky RSA conditions.
Perhaps their builds were not good for the others, I'm super happy.

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss m520. Mavic N719, American classic

Bike Setup:   SS 29er, carbon, rigid carbon fork

Submitted by DavidS a Racer from Atlanta, GA. USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2011

Strengths:    Very light and both of my rims were under quoted weight. BST is the real deal: I have never burped a tire on these rims. Properly wide, ensuring you get optimal volume from your tire (no pear-effect).

Weaknesses:    Certainly not the stiffest rims around. Build must be extremely precise to ensure durability (low margin of error for the unskilled wheelbuilder).
These are definitely on the "cheap" and "light" sector of Mr. Bontrager's Cheap-Light-Strong triangle. If you don't mind spending a lot more, the guys at Enve make some rims that are towards the other end.

Bottom Line:
I have these on American Classic disc hubs with the 15QR in front and a standard QR in the back. They weigh 1450 +/-10g grams. Spokes are 32/3x with DT Revolution spokes and ProLoc nipples all around. There are no eyelets on this rim so I strongly recommend brass nipples or grease on every nipple when building. Equal spoke tension is the key to building these rims into a durable wheelset. Stan himself (who is extremely knowledgeable and helpful) sent me build recommendations which I followed and have therefore had no problems. It is critical that the spokes are tensioned to 100 kgF. This means that the wheels must be built by an experienced, competent wheelbuilder with a calibrated spoke tensiometer.

I built these one year ago for a race-day wheelset but I have come to use them for daily training as well. I have re-tensioned the wheels three times. Total mileage is well over 5000 offroad miles including racing and training. I have broken two spokes due to rock impacts but this is the weakness of the Revolution spokes. There is not a single dent in either rim and they are both still laterally and radially true to within .5 mm.

Contrary to some other reviews I've seen for this rim, mounting tires on this rim is no more difficult than on any other tubeless rim as long as you get the beads into the center rim channel. NoTubes has detailed instructions on their website.

If you are under 150 lbs these are fine for an everyday XC wheelset. If you are between 150 and 170, I would use them for race day only and I would use at least a DT SuperComp spoke. I would go with the Arch for an everyday wheelset otherwise.
If you are a rhino and plow through everything, these are not for you. If you want a wheelset on which you can neglect the spoke tension, these are not for you.
If you want to try your hand at building your own wheels, these should not be your first. Hand them to a builder who knows what he or she is doing and you will be satisfied.

If you are an XC racer who rides with finesse and runs low tire pressures and doesn't mind maintaining spoke tension, these are a great option.

Purchased At:   NoTubes.com

Similar Products Used:   ZTR Arch, ZTR Race

Bike Setup:   Sub 20 lb. carbon 29er hardtail. 135 lb. Elite XC/Endurance racer.

Submitted by 29ger a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2011

Strengths:    Light and stiff enough for me. Maxxis Ikons mounted up tubless super, super easy (with a half-operating floor pump).

Weaknesses:    Rear needs trued now (~3/16" out), but nothing out of the ordinary.

Bottom Line:
Saved a lot of weight off the wheels with these, and it made a world of difference. Work great tubeless.

Purchased At:   Speeddream

Similar Products Used:   Heavy Wienmann

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Mojave 29er geared

Submitted by skennedy a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Not very strong, VERY VERY....did I say Very difficult to mount tires on. If flat on the trail or race good luck.. You might as well pack your Lunch!

Bottom Line:
I was trying to build up a Lightweight/Reliable Racer that was a capable trail bike. Nothing crazy light. With pedals It weighs in at 26 even. The Stan's rear rim is nearly impossible to mount tires on. I have tried Maxxis, Schwalbe, and Specialized tires, just trying to find a tire that I could change without too much problem on the trail. Well I've come to the conclusion that the tire doesn't exist! I'm about 160 lbs and I don't have problems keeping my rims straight until I bought a Stan's Rim. I'm having to straighten it after every 1 or 2 rides. I haven't had to touch my Fulcrum's or Easton's! Needless to say this Rim is headed for the Trash Can...I wouldn't wish this rim on my worst enemy. Because of the Specialized Rear Hub set up I have to run their hub with 32 a 32 spoke rim. Looks like I will be buying a DT or a Mavic Rim and building a new wheel. What a waste of MONEY. If you read the other reviews this is not a new problem! I think Stan makes the wheel slightly larger in Diameter so most tires can be run tubeless without coming off the rim...WOW what a great secret! Did I say don't waste your time or money on this rim! If you do you will be SORRY!

Favorite Trail:   Foresthill Divide Loop