Stans NoTubes ZTR Arch Rim

4.42/5 (12 Reviews)

The ZTR Arch was designed for aggressive cross country use, utilizing innovative design and construction. Available in both 26" and 29"FEA optimized center arch increases stiffness Unmatched strengthTo weight ratioWelded joint Bead socketTechnology Can be used with or withoutTubesTube system sold separately Black anodized finish 19mm inner width 24.4mm outer width 32 HolePublished weight 26" 420 grams, 29" 470 grams

Submitted by occultsinjin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2015

Strengths:    light, affordable

Weaknesses:    constant leaks. fix, leaks.

Bottom Line:
build for niner rip 9 from custom wheel builder. still only 60 miles on them. despite multiple attempts to fix leaks, i've found out it consistently leaks from the stem. tried to change valve stem to mavic, no go. tried to retape multiple times, no go. soak filled the tires with slime or stans, still leaks. never holds air for more than a day in the front rim. 3 days tops rear. avoid like the plague.

Similar Products Used:   mavic 819 x 2 sets. no problems for 7 years with these two sets.

Bike Setup:   pivot mach 5, cannondale rize 140.

Submitted by hedonistic a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Strengths:    Weight to strength

Weaknesses:    Not a true down hill for a rider my weight (200 LBS 91KG), then again neither is my bike.

Bottom Line:
FWIW rims are probably the most worthless review one can write; spokes, tires, tire pressure, and rider skill come into play as does assembly. More than any other part of the bike maintenance and quality of assembly is key to durability. Not many of would ride if our derailleurs where so out of tune it would damage them while not many of us would stop and true a rim after an oops. After many miles of down hill I had a pinch flat on a Mavic 117 doing 20 mph or so on rocky section of DH. My rim builder (message for info in the Salt Lake area) recommended the flow for my price range, he likes Stan's products.

Factory spec Mavic 117s served me well even on some DH and mild jumps, if not for a pinch flat I would still be riding them.
These rims are IMO mainly for 200 pound guys like myself for all mountain if you are an XC guy look elsewhere, if you are as light as I should be >180 then it might be a true DH rim for you.

Note the 5 chilli value rating is for the last gen rim in white @ $40 ea it drops a chilly for $90.

Favorite Trail:   Deer Valley anything without black diamonds

Duration Product Used:   about 3 months

Purchased At:   My buider, white he

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock 08 Rush Lefty

Submitted by cormy a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2012

Strengths:    as tough as nails!! Easy to set up tubeless, and never burps

Bottom Line:
I love this rim so much. It is insanely easy to set up tubeless and seals up with no effort whatsoever. I actually discovered a huge rip in my tire that had sealed up at a race in the middle of nowhere, with no air compressor within 30 mi, and was able to rego tubeless with the new tire and a floor pump on my first try, with no soap or anything. These rims never burp either, except for one time where I knuckled a jump on my hard tail (out of 2 years of use). These rims are BOMBPROOF!!! My bike actually fell off of my car on the interstate while going 80 a month or so back and the wheels didnt even have to be trued, they were perfectly straight and i didnt have to worry about it! Also, to show how well the bead seals on to the rim, my tire ripped at the bead for maybe 20 cm of length when it impacted the freeway, but the bead of the shredded up tire still stayed in the rim!!!!! Great rim, buy it!! Also if anyone is wondering I run these with maxxis ikons, an x7 hubs, and some dt swiss spokes.

Favorite Trail:   Deadmans ridge

Duration Product Used:   2 yr

Purchased At:   Gear Exchange Glenwo

Submitted by Inuitbiker

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Tire seal is excellent even with Normal Folding Tires (No burps yet)
No burs from the manufacturing process
Light & Strong for a front rim

Weaknesses:    No eyelets

Bottom Line:
Replaced my non tubeless front oem DT Swiss rim. Lots lighter and tubeless ready. Wheelbuilding was easy except you must pay attention to the tension meter to not exceed recommended tension. There were no nipple eyelets.

It seen almost 6 months of use through the southwest from Navajo sandstone to alpine mud. It holding well from roots to bike parks. No dents or burps so far (fingers crossed) and no complains. Just make sure to clean the tire beads when resealing the tire. Not bad for a front rim. Needs air compressor to sit tire on the rim (probably because my tire is non UST). Definitely, would not use as a rear rim.

Submitted by morebravo a All Mountain Rider from Launceston

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, great looks, easy to setup tubeless

Weaknesses:    None so far, maybe price if they did not come with my new yeti Sb66 frame, but you do get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I have the new 2012 Arch EX and the Bottom line is that these rims have been outstanding from the get go. I cannot comment on there long term resistance to wear and tear but so far they have been nothing but perfect.
If you are in the market and look outside Mavic's range these really should be your only consideration.

Favorite Trail:   Kate Reid

Purchased At:   Yeti Australia

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, nothing else compares

Bike Setup:   Yeti SB 66, full xo build with the formula the one brakes.

Submitted by Structure a All Mountain Rider from San Luis Obispo, CA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    I upgraded to an Arch ZTR because I needed a new front hub (15mm). My only real requirement was that it be reasonably priced, reasonably tough, and easy to go tubeless. Well on all accounts this fits the bill. I wrapped it with yellow rim tape, inflated a tube and tire and left it overnight. Came back the next day and installed the valve. Then aired up a Specialized Enduro 2.4 tire on the FIRST TRY with the valve core left in. DanG! That was easy. After about 50 miles of riding. No burping, no air loss, just a tight, reliable, and confidence inspiring fit.

I haven't bashed the rim yet so I can't really comment on how it'll hold up, but it does seem well made and the new hub (X9) rim combo is certainly lighter and faster than my previous one.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found.

Bottom Line:
Very happy with the choice of rim. Time will tell on the durability, but the ease and security with which non-UST tires mount makes these a winner.

Favorite Trail:   Mo

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 223x

Bike Setup:   2004 Enduro Expert. Arch ZTR w/ X9 front. 15mm axle

Submitted by 33MTB a Cross Country Rider from East Coast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, durable, and easy to mount UST tires

Bottom Line:
These are awesome rims. They replaced my ZTR 355's (tacoed the front) and have performed flawlessly. I have them laced to White industries hubs, which seems to be a good combination. If you are on the fence between the 355's and the Flows, get the Flows (especially if you are closer to 200lbs and ride more than flowing, groomed singletrack).

Purchased At:   Speeddream wheels

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Shimano

Submitted by Marshall a Cross Country Rider from

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Strengths:    Stiffness, strenght, weight and ability grip tyre bead

Weaknesses:    Hmm let me see... No can't think of any. The "bland" look could be called stealth and real bike aficionados will recognise you ride a winner. Respect.

Bottom Line:
Was looking at ZTR Olympics but some trails I ride are a bit rough. Had the rims stiched up to a pair of gold Hope II hubs and fitted with standard Maxxis Crossmark Exceptions. With the Stans sealing fluid I have a very light trail/XC wheel set, no burping. Just requires the occasional pressure correction (Non UST tyres afterall).

Favorite Trail:   Port Hills

Purchased At:   Scotty Browns

Similar Products Used:   Alex something

Bike Setup:   Scott Reflex FX-15 frame, reba front, 3-position scott rear shock, FSA carbon bars, Fizik Gobi (nice), XT everything, Hope II hubs, Maxxis Crossmark tyres (what can I buy next?)

Submitted by walkerhoundvm a Cross Country Rider from Loveland, CO USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    Light. Strong. Not overly expensive.

Weaknesses:    None ID'd yet

Bottom Line:
I've put about 50 miles on these rims, the last 25 tubeless. They have held up well on typical NoCo trails, no loss of alignment or problems whatsoever. Put on a fresh set of Mavic Ignitors on them, and they stuck right on without any problems. Small air leak, but that may be expected? No burping at all, and roll well. Love 'em and would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   FC/LL foothills

Purchased At:

Similar Products Used:   Alex rims (stock) Mavic 317's w/ Shimano deore hub

Bike Setup:   '08 Specialized RH Comp 29'er. XT components.

Submitted by joveylee a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2008

Strengths:    These rims hold up to 105KG gorilla with ease. Couple of
difference after i have changed to Arch. 1) Landing on 1
foot jump is much firmer. 2) Going downhill is easier since
they are more predictable. 3) This is the biggest advantage. Arch is not exactly lighter than my previous rims. But when pedaling uphill, they keep on rolling at while cranks were at 12 and 6 o'clock. In comparison to prev wheelset, they kinda "paused". So it took more energy to restart momentum.

Weaknesses:    Not much review/write-up about Arch. I suppose that's the reason why they aren't expensive. Also, i don't like the decals. Looks cheap.

Bottom Line:
If you are handsome and heavyweight at the same time, you need these rims. Because they could bring u into and out of
the wood with confidence.

I reckon my wheelset config is just right. They weight about
1.9KG. Light enough to start rolling. Whats important is the
stiffness to keep on rolling.

Purchased At:   Malaysia