Stans NoTubes ZTR Arch 29er Rim

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

The time-tested Stan's Arch rim gets a face lift into the ZTR Arch EX 29er 32H, as it grows in width from 24.4 to 24.6 and drops 20 grams in the transition.

Submitted by babu a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, light for its intended use, uses regular, common, easy to find spokes, super easy to set-up tubeless.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These rims are built around a DT Swiss 350 rear hub and a Cannondale Lefty SL front hub. They are being used on a Cannondale Flash 29er that sees extensive use in the NY/NJ/PA area. I weigh 145lbs. The wheelset was laced using DT Swiss SuperComp double butted spokes and alloy nipples. Although I could have gone with the lighter Crest rims for my type of riding, I chose the Arches because I wanted a stronger rim that will last and that will not have me worry about. The wheelset weighs in at 1850g, which is almost 400g lighter that the SunRingle Equalizer 25 that came on my bike. This is with the DT RWS bolt-thru rear axle. For the past 7 months I used the wheelset for all sorts of rides and endurance races on rocky East Coast terrain. The rims have stayed true and have not had any issues with the built whatsoever. Most probably this has a lot to do with the fact that the wheelset was handbuilt by a reputable builder (Thank you, Mike!). Furthermore, I know the rims received multiple rock hits on their walls, but with the exception of a few scratches, no complaints so far. The types of trails I ride don't have too many jumps, or better yet no big jumps or drops, but the Arches handled everything my XC trails had to offer. (actually there are some big drops, but I am not courageous enough to try them) One last thing: I am running the wheelset tubeless using Stan's brew, with Continental Race Kings ( great tires). No flats at all!!! There are many lighter options to choose from, but for this price I got a reliable, good overall quality wheelset that will provide many years of service.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain, Peekskill, NY

Purchased At:   www.lacemine29.com

Similar Products Used:   All sorts of mountain bikes, FSs, HTs, rigids, 26rs, 29rs...

Bike Setup:   2011 Cannondale Flash 29er

Submitted by Mark_123 a Cross Country Rider from Roanoke, VA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    light, strong, easy to go tubeless, stay true

Bottom Line:
Rim are stiff, stay true and allow use of non-tubeless tires to run tubeless. Good wheels make the single speed go, this will be my rim from now on.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crosstrail

Bike Setup:   Raleigh XXIX SS, BB7, Hope 2 hubs, Racing Ralphs, Stan's sealant

Submitted by ZipsBiker a Racer from Orange County

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, light, works great tubeless

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I am primarily a trail/all mountain rider that likes to focus on going fast on technical downhill. I started racing and purchased these for my xc race bike. I have ridden 2 24 Hour of Moab events (among other races) on these where they took quite a beating and remained very true.

I weigh 180 lbs with no gear. I had no problem mountain a Maxxis Crossmark (rear) and Ignitor (front) using Stan's sealant. This is a great product and I would definitely recommend them.

Purchased At:   The Path Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Niner Air 9. Stan's Arch 29ers, Hope Pro II's. Not sure on the spokes.

Submitted by D1PHAM a Cross Country Rider from Santa Clara, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2009

Strengths:    -Light ~ 480 grams.
-Stiffer than the 355's.
-Nice anodized black finish.
-Can be run with tubes or without.
-Holds air very well when running tubeless.

Weaknesses:    -Can be difficult to get certain tires mounted on the rim.
-Could not get the tire bead seated correctly when running tubes.

Bottom Line:
Took me all but 15 minutes to convert to tubeless. All ZTR rims only require the yellow tape and valve stem to run tubeless. Since the tire beads sit lower in the rim due to "BTS Technology", you get a very supple ride when running tubeless due to the increased air volume. Which is probably one of the main reasons for making the switch to tubeless. Increased trail compliance and traction alone were great! I'll never ride with tubes again!

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 717's

Submitted by Krankensteine a Cross Country Rider from Springfield, MO

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2009

Strengths:    Light, strong, runs light regular tires as tubeless and runs them at low pressure which gives great stick and low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find

Bottom Line:
The previous reviewer should post comments on the Crow tire not the Arch Rim.

I can find no weakness in the Arch rims. I ride very rocky technical terrain and have found these to be flawless. Rims have taken lots of abuse and still seem like new. Best part is running tubeless with nonUST tires. I need tubeless more than anything because of the many thorns on the trails I ride. Have never had any issues and have tried many different tire combination's.

Favorite Trail:   Syllamo

Purchased At:   Industry Nine

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Salsa, DT Swiss

Bike Setup:   Niner Sir 9, single speed

Submitted by smokinjoe a Racer from mtn home ark

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2008

Strengths:    bigger bite with tire, greater traction when working, smoother all around better ride, when works.

Weaknesses:    sealant sucks, messy, doesnt work as claimed. The Crow is mere tissue paper, punctures, tears, rips, sealant just squirts right out.

Bottom Line:
Great idea, just needs alot of work on their sealant. Inverted shaking and using the syringe is a joke. Cant even get a miniscual amount of sealant in the tire thru the valve stem (valve core removed) without sediments clogging up stem, then you have to remove the stem clean up the spilled sealant and so on. Sealant doesnt clog holes as claimed. The crow is a great tire for fairly smooth non technical hardpack with minimal rocks but hang it up on anything thats a bit more technical. Finally ended up throwing the crow in the trash after i pinched it half a dozen times and went thru a load of sealant and a million curse words. Just not worth the effort. Save your money and buy a real set of USTs not ones that require liquid. 163 lb with 26-30psi.

Favorite Trail:   sylamo

Purchased At:   stans

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager UST,

Bike Setup:   Xcaliber 29er

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Wash. DC & Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    - Weight
- Strength, does not go out of true easily
- Easy to get tires to seal up on tubless rim

Weaknesses:    The Stans Sticker on the rim is not the best looking.

Bottom Line:
I only write reviews when I really like a product or really dislike a product. I also won't write a review until I have used it properly. We all know you can't know most bike parts in a few rides.

I am a pretty big rider 6 ft 190lb and have been pounding these rims for over a year. I was really concerned when I first purchased these wheels since they were so light and I thought they would be trash in short order. Well that isn't true. These things have been wonderful. They are strong, light and easy to work with when using Stans juice. I use Kenda Karma and SB8's (tubed) and the seal up very well.

I had purchased a set of Mavic Cross max SL's at the same time for my 26in bike and have had nothing but trouble with them. You can't go wrong with the Arch's

Purchased At:   Conte's Bicycles, Arlington

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Cross Max SL, Spinergy Xcylone and a variety of Mavic spoked rims.

Bike Setup:   Niner 29er AIR, full xtr w/Reba Race (wheels - Stans ,DT Swiss 240 hubs, DT swiss spokes)

Stans ZTR Arch EX 29er Wheelset

I'm coming off of Easton Haven carbons, and while I did have a few busted spokes and had the rear hub replaced under warranty, I'm tough on wheels and thought that they held up well for 2-1/2 years of abuse on a Santa Cruz TBc. Loved the light weight and the quick spin-up and acceleration. So, wil ... Read More »

ZTR Arch EX 29er Tubless Help

I've got the above wheel set and i use The Captain 2.2 29er up front and Maxxis Ignitor 29er in the rear I've had a heap of flats from thorns and its time to try no tubes. What I am trying to work out is do I really only need the Yellow tape, sealant and some removable presta cores and I'm away l ... Read More »

wheels with better stiffness than Stan's ZTR Arch 29er?

I'm thinking about replacing Stan's ZTR Arch 29er on Scalpel 29er Carbon 2 with something that has better stiffness / less flex. Would Mavic CrossMax SLR 29er 2013 do the job? Or CrossMax ST 29, with +4 spokes? I think both DT Swiss Super Comp spokes and ZTR Arch 29er contribute to flex prob ... Read More »

Epic Carbon Comp 29er with ZTR Arch wheels or stock Epic Carbon Expert 29er?

I decided I wanted to get a 29er hardtail as my every day XC/trail bike for mostly non- to moderate technical riding (and maybe an occasional race). The reality is, however, that the hardtail leaves me feeling beaten up. So, I demo'd an Epic Comp 29er (aluminum). I was very impressed with how it c ... Read More »

Stans ZTR Arch 29er wheelset

Where is the cheapest place to get these? I had found a site earlier this year that was a paypal only site very basic but they were the cheapest. Now I can't find it...Read More »