Home | Reviews | Rim | Spin

2.88/5 (16 Reviews)

Spin

Submitted by loggerhead a Weekend Warrior from new jersey

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2009

Strengths:    look good, thermoplastic

Weaknesses:    out of business, rear is ovalized and cannot be fixed, ceramic rims' stopping power is terrible compared to other ceramic rims. flex ALOT on turns as they hit the brakes hard under cornering.

Bottom Line:
great looking rim. bought new when they first came out.price sucked at the time but good lucks usually has a high price. don't trust on trails any more
from what i remember, many mba mags had advertisements with spins setup with disc brakes. pretty sure they came out just have yet to see them.
for those looking for a repair on these, good luck, probably a lost cause since they went under.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   mavic (terrible), ac, chris king, xtr, etc.

Bike Setup:   thermo lts and pretty much all carbon/thermo parts. bike was converted for road use

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Branchville, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2008

Strengths:    Strong wheels. No truing. Very Low rolling resistance, these wheels are fast.

Weaknesses:    Noisy, a bit heavier than other wheels and the company is out of business now.

Bottom Line:
I have weighed between 200 and 240 lbs the 10 years I have had these wheels. When I bought them in '98 I was breaking spokes and having to true wheels. I picked these bad boys up and I have loved them. They move very freely. If you free spin them it will spin a good while longer than any wheel I have ever seen. Other than their weight, their only real downfall is the noise they create when bouncing over rocks. But if you can live with that then they'll be good to you. Last year(2007) I must have bent the rear rim because I have a wicked vibration on the road with them now. I think its finally time to get a new set of wheels and go to disc brakes. With ten years of no rim and spoke maintenance I think they've paid themselves off. If you happen to find a good set of these I highly recommend picking them up.

Favorite Trail:   Tinsley trl. Stokes State Forrest

Purchased At:   Rt 15 Cycle

Bike Setup:   1996 MT Fuji LTD-SX hard tail, Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Fork (105mm)

Submitted by DEE T a Cross Country Rider from N.Y. N.Y.

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    Look Amazing!!

Weaknesses:    I'm scared to use them on the trails ,since they went outta business.Purchased a pair from the store a couple years back for $500 for my proflex,sold them with the bike.Now i got a pair on my gary fisher,when i go to the trails i switch to my spokes.

Bottom Line:
Now a days...JUST FOR LOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Throw on the spokes for the trails!

Favorite Trail:   FOEST HILLS

Purchased At:   FRIEND & STORE

Similar Products Used:   spinergy

Submitted by reynauld adams a Racer from chicago

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2004

Strengths:    I love my spins i set them up in track fashion and have stressed the fu-- out of them every weekday for the last 3 years except for vacation i have rearended over 20 vheicles (at over 15 mph) and and neither are untrue i change the cartridge every 3 months to maintain them the only problem i have with spin going out of bussiness is i can buy them direct. So if you complain about your spins how about you use your brain and put spokes on your full-suspension for down hill. You might as well wear a presidential rolex and mink for scavenger hunts and mud wrestling

Favorite Trail:   downtown streets

Purchased At:   other messengers

Bike Setup:   track

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Strengths:    Tuffness, no maintenance

Weaknesses:    If you are a weight geek, they may be a little heavy...

Bottom Line:
Spins are strong provided you keep up the air pressure up between 45 and 50 PSI. They may be a little heavy, but they are bomber tuff. -If you don't like trueing once a month, Spins are for you, just don't forget the air pressure, check it before every ride! They've served me well Since 98, and I've always hit downhills hard, and wiegh in at around 185. -If you can find Spins on ebay, go for it!

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 217

Bike Setup:   95 Fisher Mt Tam, syncros(OG)cranks, Marzocchi Bomber, Spins, XTR..

Submitted by chris thessing from Conway, Ar, 72034

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2002

Strengths:    cool design

Weaknesses:    Strength, strength, strength. Unbelievable. My rear wheel cracked way too fast. I only weigh 150lbs! It broke while on a full supension setup. I wasn't too worried about it at first because of all the warranty info I'd read. Well, forget that...spin is horrible...no longer a company for a good reason. These people are terrible. I feel so bad for buying these and letting that company make money off of me. It's a shame spin ever got its foot in the mountainbiking door! My front wheel is still true and rolls absolutely perfect. I hate having it on my bike, but it looks cool, rolls perfect, and cost me quite a bit. The moral of the story...don't waste your time with any spin rims. Leave spin rims to wheelchair-bound people like Samson Simpson on Half-Baked.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT PURCHASE! too weak.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   At the time of the brake, full suspension. Now, hard-tail single-speed.

Submitted by Matt Weiss a Cross Country Rider from Columbus, OH, US

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Strengths:    Looks, never need truing

Weaknesses:    strength, they crack

Bottom Line:
Don't spend money on Spin wheels. I cracked one on a two foot drop-off. I might be getting fat.....or spin wheels are weak.

Favorite Trail:   not sure

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher XO

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Montana

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Strong as strong could be.

Weaknesses:    heavy around the outside of the rim where you do not need it.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as a second wheelset I would never have to worry about and that is what they have been for 3 years now. I would drop stuff, ride hard, just trash them and they are still as true as the day I bought them. The extra weight did slow down my bike on climbes but it made up for it on the way back down. They are so fast downhill it is amazing. I just got a new bike with hydrolic brakes so I could not use them anymore. I was pissed but then my roomate wanted to use them so the Spins live on. 5 big Chilis for a product that does what it said it would for years and years.

Favorite Trail:   that one

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   97 Klein Attitude Race

Submitted by Jesse a Weekend Warrior from Denver Co

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    Look and that is about it!!

Weaknesses:    Weight and Company

Bottom Line:
I have had a pair a Spin wheels for less than a year and they have finally had it. I have a full suspension bike and the rear wheel is making a kinds of noises. I ride hard and expect alot from the products and COMPANIES that I buy from. I recently found out that spin is now out of business, so much for the warrenty on the wheels. other then the fact that I have had them less then a year and they are already showing signs of stress, I have been satisfied with the purchase. I would recommend not buying these products because you now have no warrenty since the company has went south.

Bike Setup:   Full Suspension Trek

Submitted by Curtis a Weekend Warrior from Columbus OH

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Strengths:    Look cool

Weaknesses:    WEAK!!...can't handled a small crash....

Bottom Line:
I am looking on mtbr for a replacement rear 26" ceramic brake surface wheel....am I crazy......I broke a spoke in half on a mild wipeout.....slammed the bike down off a jump sideways (clipped in)....and WHAP...there she went...my bud has broken two in a similar fashion....am I crazy to look for a replacement????....I seem to think a nice spoke would have taken the hit with less damage $$ wise...any thoughts onthis....don't forget Spin is no longer.....

Favorite Trail:   Snowshoe

Purchased At:   bike shop (used)

Similar Products Used:   any other spoke...

Bike Setup:   Super V

Submitted by Jon Juan a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Strengths:    I'll let ya know whenever I find one!!!

Weaknesses:    Where to begin, aside from the weight which I was aware of when I bought them they are very unreliable. The front wheel after 2 years of moderate use gives about 1/8 of an inch making control very hard. The rear wheel is just as bad, I have had the bearings and hubs serviced many times and my mechanic, who is a wizard with wheels, says that they can never be completely stable. These things suck ass!! I do however ride on road alot in which case they are ideal.

Bottom Line:
WEAK, very WEAK!!

Favorite Trail:   Bulls Horn

Purchased At:   bike shop

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar, XTR, Magura, Sids, and other goodies.

Submitted by Wayne a Cross Country Rider from Fairfax VA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Strengths:    Cool looking.

Weaknesses:    Very Expensive.
Company.

Bottom Line:
I had to write about these rims. When I first bought them I knew they were over weight. A fact I was willing over look because these rims were supposed to be indestructible and they looked cool. I rode them for a year and then noticed a small line running horizontally on one of the arms. I called up Spin and they told me to send it in they would take a look at it. So I did….This is where the story gets bad.
After a week I called the up and asked them what they thought. They said the rim would have to be replaced because it wasn’t structurally sound any more. I told them that had been my impression as well. I said “Thank you” and asked them how soon they could get me a new rim. They told me it would take about a week. I said great and was about to hang up when they asked me “How would you like to pay for that?”…..Now wait a second these things were supposed to be under warranty against defects…..”Pay for that?” I said. I was then told that when one of the employees has “cut into my rim” it had been found that it had undergone abnormal stresses and because of that it was not under warranty. Basically it was their way of saying it had been deliberately broken. Which it had not. After several minutes of arguing I told them to send the rim back to me and I would simply ride with it the way it was. They told me they were not sure they could send it back to me in the condition it was in. After more minutes of arguing I told them I would have to call back after I calmed down. After I hung up and sat there thinking about it something registered to me. They had said that they had “Cut” into my rim……They had destroyed it with out contacting me to see if it was okay. To make a long story short I called them up and yelled at them for destroying my rim. After an hour of arguing about who was responsible it was agreed that I would pay 40 dollars for a new rim. I did this because I was tired of arguing and simply wanted to get it over with.
I will never…NEVER use or buy products from the company again. It is the worst run company I can think of. It’s a joke and the product they sell isn’t even all that great. When you buy this product all you are getting for your many hundreds of dollars is a cool looking rim. That’s it. Seriously. Stay away from this product like a plague.

Favorite Trail:   Fountain Head

Bike Setup:   Full Suspension..

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Strengths:    They look pretty cool.

Weaknesses:    The wheel developed a crack. The TRUE weakness is the company itself. Please read the following pasted email that I sent to Spin after I discovered the crack. If anyone knows how to get in touch with Spin (Innovations In Composites) please email me and let me know. If someone from Spin reads this (I know they wont because they dont give a crap about customers) I am BEGGING you to get in touch. It is kind of long, PLEASE READ.Attn: Manager of Customer Service:

It is with great concern that I type this e-mail. I have had the
unfortunate
luck to find a crack in one of my spin mountain bike wheels. I was very
surprised to find the crack in the wheel because I have heard nothing
but
praise for the wheel quality and durability. Before I made the
substantial
monetary investment in your product, I did some research and was
satisfied
that it was a quality product backed by a quality organization. Prior
to my
purchase, I was lead to believe that the quality of your product
justified
the cost.

I was very surprised to find the crack because I do not consider myself
to
be a very aggressive rider and do not believe that I have been in any
way
abusive to your product. Due to my non-aggressive riding style coupled
with
the fact that my bicycle has both front and rear suspension, I would
not
imagine that the wheel was subjected to any unusual stress or abuse. I
have
the bicycle professionally serviced at least twice a season and am very
aware of routine maintenance such as proper tire inflation
requirements.

Upon discovering the crack, I called the bicycle shop where the wheel
was
purchased and was told to bring the wheel back to the shop and they
would
request a "Return Authorization Number" from your organization. I was
told
that upon receipt, someone would examine the wheel to determine if it
was a
defect in the product or rider abuse or provide some sort of
disposition.

I can understand the importance of this process and realize it is
necessary
to protect the interest of your company. I understand that this is a
necessary process as it provides a structured way to receive,
categorize,
and process returns. I am assuming that in addition to this, your
organization utilizes this valuable feedback from the user community
for
research and development in the hopes of providing a better quality
product
in the future. This assumption is based on the fact that your
organization
subscribes to the theory that a quality product = customer satisfaction
=
return customers = customer referrals = increased revenue = good
business.

A representative from my local shop called your main telephone number
and
left a message. His call was returned and he was told by someone in
your
organization that no RA# would be issued due to the "retooling"
currently
taking place at your company. He was then told that we could send in
the
wheel anyway but no action would be taken for at least three months.

When I was informed of this communication, I was very disappointed with
the
level of customer service from a supposedly reputable company.

So great was my disappointment that I felt compelled to speak with
someone
in your organization about my situation and to inquire about the
'retooling'. I never imagined that a company like Spin would ignore a
customer. I made my first call to 760-727-7177 on April 12. I listened
to
the automated message and pressed three to speak with a customer
service
representative. The next message I heard was that all of your
representatives were currently busy helping other customers and to
please
leave a message that my call would be returned promptly. I know that
this is
a standard practice for some businesses so I left a message that I had
a
question relating to my wheels and would appreciate a call back to
discuss
the issue. I left two contact numbers (both equipped with an answering
service) and waited for my prompt call back.

I did not receive a prompt response that day, nor did I receive a call
the
following day. I was amazed that my call was not returned and figured
that
maybe there was a problem with your phone service or maybe my message
was
accidentally erased, I know that these things happen from time to time.

I made my second call on Friday April 14. Again, I left a message
because
all of your representatives were apparently busy helping other
customers
(per the recording). I stated that I had an issue to discuss and would
appreciate a call back. I left two contact numbers. Again, I waited for
a
prompt (per the recording) call back.

On Monday April 17, I placed my third call. Same call, same message,
same
disgust with the fact that I cannot speak with a real person about my
issue.

Just for fun I called again on Tuesday, April 18 and was surprised to
hear
that your menu options have changed. I happily listen to the message
that
informs me there will be no customer service support for the entire
"retooling" process. Your organization is "retooling " because you
cannot
meet customer demand for Spin wheels. Good for you, how about taking
care of
the customers that have already supported your product. How about
having the
professionalism and courtesy to return a phone call. I notice that I
can
still purchase your product in the internet and at distributors. I bet
that
your Accounts Receivable department is not off for "retooling".

At this point I am not concerned with whatever disposition you may or
may
not perform on my wheel. I do not care if your organization has any
concept
of Customer Service. I have wasted almost enough of my life with this
already. I will however, be taking the time to mail a copy of this note
the Customer Service Manager of your organization because I am not sure
anyone on your end is checking e-mail. It is very obvious that no one
checks
voicemail... or is that why the message changed?

If I do not receive a response I will proceed with further
communication
with other members of your management team as I believe they should be
aware
of the complete and total lack of professionalism that obviously exists
in
your Customer Service Department. I would like to ask them if this is
the
way they want all of your customers to be treated.

I look forward to hearing from someone in the near future. Have a nice
day.

Bottom Line:
Spin Wheels (Innovations In Composites) is a POOR example of anything even close to being a stand up company.

Bike Setup:   Trek Y5 - minor goodies - ONE Spin wheel

Submitted by arsetin a Downhiller from maryland

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2000

Strengths:    good looking
bearings last a while

Weaknesses:    durability
strength
company

Bottom Line:
these wheels are a very big disapointment. the front wheel, which was less then 1 year old, cracked clean through on one of the blades. i sent it back for warranty through my lbs, and spin sent the wheel back, unrepaired because they said they hadn't found anything wrong with them! i sent it back again and called them up. they said they'd replace it, but i'd have to pay for a new rim, because they couldn't take it of the old wheel without destroying it. whatever. they also said spins are meant for hard trail riding. no downhill, no off camber turns. no chatter. what the hell is that? are these wheels for flash or performance? obviously flash. have funing riding them up and down your street.