Home | Reviews | Rim | Spank

Spank Stiffy EVO 40AL Rim

Weight : 700 g MSRP : $95.99

MGR Super-6 Alloy Extreme Freeride / DH 26" Rim, Oohbah Patented Extreme Freeride Profile-40 mm width, Precision Sleeved Joint, 360° Orbital Nipple Seat, Improved Ductility/Toughness/Strength, Maximum Tire-Spread, Traction, Security, Disc Specific, White/Black/Spank Green.

Submitted by Bordeaux4130

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2013

Strengths:    Can't comment because I can't ride them.

Weaknesses:    Will not allow proper bead seat of tires.

Bottom Line:
Bought two new Stiffy's, had them built up and was excited to ride them but had that crushed as soon as I attempted to mount tires. I've tried four different tires; Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5, Maxxis Minion DHR 2.3, Maxxis High Roller 2.25, and a Kenda Excavator 2.35. All Kevlar. All of them unseat from the rim at around 25psi. I've tried every trick in the mechanics book to no avail. The rim design is at fault. The convex Oobah interior profile doesn't allow the tire to move close enough to the center line of the rim to provide enough bite into the bead seat. Ordered the wheels from CRC in the UK and now I'm faced with having to unlace them and send them back in the middle of the summer riding season. A pretty farking terrible experience al in all. Avoid these rims.

Favorite Trail:   Pacifica

Bike Setup:   2012 Diamondback Scapegoat

Submitted by Bero14 a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    Awesome looking rim and Bombproof

Weaknesses:    None found!

Bottom Line:
I had a pair of stans flow rims that lasted a few months then cracked, but these Spanks are brilliant very stiff I was surprised at how light they are considering how wide they are! Would definatly buy again and they look awesome in white! http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/9210338/

Favorite Trail:   Ambergate

Purchased At:   CRC

Bike Setup:   Orange 224, DHX 5, 888 rc3

Submitted by Racing Ralph

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2012

Strengths:    Wide and strong

Weaknesses:    Finishing at seam imperfect.

Bottom Line:
Experiment into wide rims on my 150mm bike for technical/trail riding. Better than my havocs and haven carbons re stiffness and the way the bike holds a line. Look massive. Tyre treads look weeny and narrower tyres may have sidewalls extend out past tread at risk of sharp tears and sidewall pinch tears (happened to me trying dumb low 15psi). Running low psi (18-20, I weigh 90kg all up) as more tyre volume and less tyre twist in turns means less deflection over rocks and roots, massive uphill traction, more comfort and control, little if any increase in rolling resistance, and it's easy to tell the improvement. Specialized eskar and purg mount tubeless easy with stans tape. Advantage and highrollerII not so much. Welds leak air out from rim!! But sealed quickly with shaking fluid near the leaks and haven't leaked air in any tyres since. Beadnip don't really hold bead anything special. Easy to put tyres on and off by hand. Recommended and cost effective. I thought rim labelling might make me look like reverse baseball cap wearing yoof but relatively refined looks. Cheap wheelset shimano XT hubs/DT rev/stiffy 40al wheelset weighs about 2300g but my 2012 havocs will collect dust as the ride is worth it. Might get relaced to light hubs.

Submitted by freakinoutmadly a Downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2010

Strengths:    Super stiff and light for a 40 wide rim. Took a beating and never even went out of true.

Weaknesses:    Nuttin.

Bottom Line:
I liked them so much I got a second pair and just recently got a pair of Subrosas. Easily the best rims I have ever used and probably will use. The search is over.

I did manage to dent one nicely, but it stayed straight and didn't flat spot either. Didn't notice til I replaced my tire.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant