Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic XM 819 Rim

4.25/5 (40 Reviews)

We build lots of wheels, and the Mavic XM 819 Disc rim is a favorite of our wheelbuilders. Part of the appeal is that it's easy to build. Strong rims usually are. But the greatest appeal is that we can build a set and then forget about them. They're that reliable. We have yet to see one fold, or get reports of one taco-ing. For our customers, they definitely like that the rim comes drilled on only one side -- meaning it's tubeless ready without rim strips. The Mavic XM 819 Disc rim comes in black and is drilled for 32 spokes. You must install the m9 nipple holders along with the spoke nipples before building up the rims. Tubeless 101: The Why and the How Explained.

Submitted by Mountaingoat212 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2016

Strengths:    Quite strong, tubeless, cheap

Weaknesses:    Narrow internal width, a little on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
This was a pretty revolutionary rim for some time..... maybe not so these days but compared to some of the junk that's being put on mid-range bikes costing thousands of dollars it's seemingly still a great wheel.
I had one of these built up in about 2003 with 32 spoke and XTR hub. Haven't touched a thing in over a decade.
I'm typically between 210-220 pounds and can be known to be hard on my stuff.
I just outfitted my new to me used bike to XM819's because I didn't see the point in selling them on my old steed.....
Call me crazy, sure but what works isn't supposed to be messed with.
These are a strong all use wheel. You know your riding style. If you're breaking these it's time to stop complaining and either take some tips on how to ride lighter, do less drops on offset trails or upgrade to an Enduro/AM or Downhill wheelset. It's not always the equipment's fault.

Similar Products Used:   XM 3.1, DT Swiss (various)

Bike Setup:   Old school 26" Cannondale RZ120-2 built for my riding style.

Submitted by John a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2016

Strengths:    Worked well for the first 2 1/2 years of ownership.

Weaknesses:    Spoke nipple grommets corroded and pulled out of the front rim making the rim useless. Purchased a new one. One ride later the same thing happened to the back rim. Just out of warranty.

Bottom Line:
It's a shame that one small component failure of this rim makes the rim useless. Mavic doesn't seem to care based on their lack of concern since the rims were out of warranty. I won't buy mavic products again and will recommend to my fellow mountain bikers that they reconsider other rims for their riding needs.

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2015

Strengths:    UST tubeless.
Very strong wheels.
Rim tape is not required.

Weaknesses:    Premature failure/corrosion.

Mavic customer service.

Bottom Line:
When I first got these rims, I would have given them five Flamin Chilies. Now that I had some time to ride them and they've had time to age, I lean to the other extreme and do not recommend these rims or Mavic products.

My wheels are out of warranty but in excellent condition. One wheel developed a leak which I thought was a tire leak. I added sealant and it still leaked. In could hear air escaping near the valve stem so I bought new stems. When I went to replace the stems, I found a corroded pinhole that breached the rim and was leaking air. This spot was near the valve stem on the smooth surface where rim tape would be on traditional wheels. There were four or five other spots around the wheel in a similar location. These wheels had never had sealant in them (until this leak) now has ever been touched with a tire tool.

I contacted Mavic to see why this may have occurred. After reviewing pictures, they could give any indication of why it failed the way it did. Although the rims were out of warranty, I atleast expected that they would offer and replacement rim set at a discounted cost. They offered nothing.

The wheels should have never failed in this way. After searching the web, I've found multiple reports of internal corrosion, mostly blamed on sealants.

Submitted by Biker Bud

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2014

Strengths:    They roll. Seem pretty sturdy, at least for my riding. Have been hit by rocks but so far, only scratches.

Weaknesses:    Proprietary design and now (Sep. 2014) almost impossible to get parts for. Special tool required to replace spokes and that tool also seems to be just about impossible to find.

Bottom Line:
Before I got my Yeti bike, I had dreamed of getting the Mavic 819 Disc wheels. I thought they were the standard rim manufacturer. Now that I have them, (they came on my bike) it's more like a nightmare! I break spokes, I think most aggressive riders do. What I've learned about replacing spokes on this wheel is that whoever designed these wheels was more interested in post-sale service revenue than building a quality product. No bike shop anywhere in the Denver area that I've found has the exact same diameter spoke that my wheels are built with. They are thinner than what I can find. So, now I have a mismatched bunch of spokes on my wheels. The 2nd and also infuriating issue with these wheels is the proprietary M9 nipple adapter. You need a special tool to remove that, one that no bike shop around me sells either. What a screw job! So, either I pay the bike shop some stupid amount of money to replace a 50 cent part that takes about 5 min to replace, or I have to use the wrong wrench to remove the M9 adapter and install another odd sized spoke & nipple to ride my F'n bike! I could not overstate how much I hate Mavic right now! I've searched their web site and NOTHING comes up for "M9". This isn't rocket science. A rider should be able to easily purchase parts for a bike wheel of this age for many, many years. And it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg for such measily parts. If this ends up forcing me to replace my entire wheel, I can assure you it won't be a Mavic. Unfortunately, this is becoming very common in the mountain bike business. I don't know why, but the bike companies seem bent on forcing people to take their bikes to a shop rather than fixing even minor crap like this themselves. I'm not a happy camper, not at all. Next bike I buy certainly will NOT have Mavic rims on it.

Submitted by Ian

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2014

Strengths:    Not too expensive, look good.

Weaknesses:    Weak, easy to ding and buckle, heavy, difficult to build, doesn't work that well with Schwalbe tyres.

Bottom Line:
Very disapointed with these rims. Bought the XM819 to replace a cracked ZTR Arch (rider error). Rode the Arch for a year and a half and had only a few dings and buckles. After 5 weeks on the Mavic XM819 i've had to straighten 3 times and remove 4 or 5 dings. Riding the same trails, I've had more buckles on these than any other wheelset (including my superlight Shimano XTRs).

If you are after a strong, light rim, look elsewhere.

Submitted by dirtisgood

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    Good reviews from most riders

Weaknesses:    Weak

Bottom Line:
I haven't ridden these very hard nor for many miles and they already have two dings one of which is major. I run tubeless and higher than most tire pressure, 35-38 psi. I had the Mavic crossmax slr set and the rims on that set were stronger. I'm just not impressed at all. I will not buy mavic again.

Submitted by Storm Rider a Weekend Warrior from Orange, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2011

Strengths:    Haven't ridden them long enough to know

Weaknesses:    Some of them rattle like a penny in a tin can.

Bottom Line:
Apparently Mavics are known for a manufacturing defect, that I wish I had known about before ordering these rims and building wheels. My rear wheel was built with the new Alfine 11 hub and the XM819 rim. At first I thought the noise was from the hub, but after close inspection, I detected that it was coming from the rim. I was told by several friends (after the failure) that Mavic inserts pins into the rim to align the sides before welding, and some of these pins come loose and rattle around.

I was unlucky with this rim, but Mavic is doing a warranty repair, replacing the rim and rebuilding the wheel. I can only hope that these rims do not start rattling in the future, especially after the 2 year warranty expires.

I give it 3 chilis, only because I am getting warranty coverage. Without warranty, it would be one flaming chili up the sphincter.

Favorite Trail:   Santiago Oaks

Submitted by online421 a Cross Country Rider from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2011

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    only in black

Bottom Line:
I have owned this set of wheel for 4-5 years now, I've used them on a tour from China to Iran in 2009. a great set of wheel, thinking of upgrading to the EX823 and a Rohloff for the next setup.

Similar Products Used:   Spin, Rhyno

Bike Setup:   15" titanium frame, king hubs, XTR, avid BB7, Brooks saddle, Bob trailer

Submitted by rojomas a Weekend Warrior from Wheredaphuqarwe

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff

Weaknesses:    Maybe too stiff

Bottom Line:
I was changing my tire when I noticed on the inside of the rim by the valve stem hole that my rim is cracked length wise about 7"

There is no other damage to the rim. No flat spots or dings so I have no explanation how this could of happened. This is a pretty expensive rim for this to happen.

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL, Rockshox Revelation,

Submitted by lollapalooza a Racer from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2010

Strengths:    Super Stiff, True tubeless UST that uses a collar system to hold the spokes/nipples in place. Never replaced a spoke. Only trued twice.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes rocks scratch the black paint...

Bottom Line:
Great affordable wheel-set. I used XT hubs and tipple butted spokes for disc brake use. I put a pretty good flat spot in my rear wheel after after a failed attempt at bunny hopping over two squares of sidewalk under construction. Even after the damage the wheels still hold up fine.

Use a triple butted spoke for added strength and weight savings. Have a professional mechanic build the wheel and bring it back after 10 miles of riding for a check up. After that it should be smooth sailing and you will only need to true wheels after extreme abuse.

Favorite Trail:   Emma

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 117, crossmax SL

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem X w/ xt parts, fox shocks,

Submitted by KevinK a Cross Country Rider from Sherman Oaks

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    After five years of abuse, it's still true. Very stiff, and problem free.

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
After five years, it's still going strong. I received one of the first XM819 discs produced. Had to wait a month after order, until arrived. Built w/ DT swiss 240s hubs. Rock solid wheels.

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Purchased At:   Bicyle Johns

Similar Products Used:   XTR rims

Bike Setup:   05 Titus Talas Switchblade, Shimano XT Cranks/cassette/chainrings/chain/front derailleur, Sram X.0 gripshifts/rear derailleur, Formula 2010 The One brakes 180mm f/r, Masterpiece seatpost, Elite stem, Manitou Absolute Elite 140mm MY08 forks, Fox Talas shock, Mavic 819disc rims, DT Swiss 240s hubs, continental Mt. King 2.4 ust front, WTB Weirwolves 2.1 ust rear.

Submitted by KevinB a Cross Country Rider from Fountain Hills, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2009

Strengths:    - UST rim; no rim strip needed for tubeless operation.
- Easy to tension and true.

Weaknesses:    - Special tool needed for building wheel (nipple grommet wrench).
- Prone to cracking with lots of use.

Bottom Line:
I've cracked three Mavic XM 819 rims. Each has cracked in the vicinity of the stem access hole in the inner channel where you'd put rim tape on a conventional rim. (The XM819 doesn't use rim tape - there's solid metal where you'd normally find spoke access holes.) These cracks leak air if you're running them with tubeless tires. Once the crack gets big enough, it'll snag and rip a tube if you're running them with tubes.

When building a wheel using these rims, a special wrench is needed to tighten the nipple grommets. You also need to use thread locker to glue them in place. Aside from those details, building a wheel with an XM819 rim isn't much different than building with a conventional rim.

The XM819s are very round to begin with and are, therefore, easy to true and evenly tension.

I tensioned the first two rims that I cracked to have a maximum spoke tension of between 110-115 Kgf. Later, I learned that Mavic recommends between 70-90 Kgf for all of their aftermarket rims. I rebuilt the wheel again with a new rim being careful to not exceed 90 Kgf on the drive side. (It's a rear wheel.) I got six months of use out of the rim prior to it cracking. I conclude, therefore, that this problem is most likely not due to the wheel being overtensioned. After all, I got a year of use out of the first rim which had a higher spoke tension.

These rims contribute to some great wheels when new. Unfortunately, for me, they have not held up well over time. More details are available at http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6363555

Submitted by giantpig1 a Racer from Otautau, Southland New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2009

Strengths:    Nil Maintence and Super Strong

Bottom Line:
I've had theses rims for about 3 years and have used them on my hardtail and dually with tubes and UST . I've raced/thrashed the crap out of them over rocks, roots,smallish gap jumps, 3 day races etc. I've crashed and burned and these rims have still stayed true . They're rock soild and amazing. Get them !

Favorite Trail:   Wanaka

Purchased At:   Gladstone Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 717

Bike Setup:   Giant XC Hard tail and Full suspension with DT Swiss hubs

Submitted by dubdryver a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    Bulletproof! Very strong, no need for rim tape, reenforced spoke guides (if thats what they are called)

Weaknesses:    not the lightest rim, probably not best for all out racing.

Bottom Line:
I had these wheels built just under 1 year ago and have had absolutely no complaints. They are bulletproof! I had them built by Chain Reaction Cycles with hope pro II hubs dt swiss comp spokes and have held up very well. They arent the lightest wheel out there, but they are definately stronger than most wheels out there. I have rode them on various terrain in the roots here in Miami, Rocks in n. Tx. singletrack of Arkansas's Syllamo MTB park, Iowa and my home n. michigan. They have not shown any weakness.

Two features that are fairly unique is that the channel where the wheel mounts is completely sealed. There is no need for rim tape. The spokes are mounted from the outside of the wheel and locked to the the rim by the spoke nipples that get screwed it not the "spoke guides?"

All in all they are the best wheel i have rode, and you have the option to mount them to whatever hub you like (all you faithful Chris King followers) assuming they are 32 hole.

I do not consider these a full on race wheel, as they are slightly heavier than other models, but definately a lot stronger!!!!! Great for All Mountain or technical singletrack.

Favorite Trail:   Gilligans?