Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic XM 719 Rim

3.7/5 (10 Reviews)

The XM 719 rim is a new rim in Mavic's "cross-mountain" family. They're designed for heavier duty use than a pure cross-country rim, yet still offer lightweight performance that won't weigh you down.

Submitted by JonXC a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    Reasonably lightweight super strong wheel. Wheels finish holds up well to being bashed and scuffed.

Weaknesses:    Nothing at the minute. Time will tell but I suspect it will hold up just fine.

Bottom Line:
I have had these wheels for over 18 months. I ride a mixture of aggresive XC and heavy trail/natural riding. I have covered close to 1500miles and haven't yet need to retrue or retension the wheels! They still look in great condition despite the abuse I give them. This is credit to the guy who built them but mainly to Mavic who have made a fantastic AM rim that is just about light enough for fast XC use. I recommend these rims to XC riders who like to hit the heavier trails from time to time.

Favorite Trail:   Coed y Brenin/Llandegla

Similar Products Used:   Alex rims.
Mavic (variety of).

Bike Setup:   Anthem X.

Submitted by marknorbury a Cross Country Rider from frankfurt, hessen, germany

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, good milled braking surface, welded joint, no problems with other mavic rime that I use.

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel rim is developing cracks starting from around the eyelets on the spoke side of the rim so far cracks in about 6 places, each crack approx 3mm long. not long to go before complete faliure I think....

Bottom Line:
I have been a fan of Mavic rims for years, however my rear wheel XC719 rim has started to develop cracks between the spoke nipples. I have never seen this before, hopefully this is a one-off!

Favorite Trail:   taunus hills

Purchased At:   bike-technik langen

Similar Products Used:   Mavic XC717

Bike Setup:   Bryan Bourke Reynolds 953 Mountain Bike frame. Fox F120 forks, Middleburn X-Type cranks, Hope Ceramic B/B, Hope pro 2 hubs, Hope Race X2 brakes, XT/XTR Gears, Campagnolo Record 9sp chain, USE Titanium post, Simplon Titanium bars, Hope stem, Hope headset

Submitted by stubs a Cross Country Rider from Liverpool, England

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2010

Strengths:    Dependable, Strong, easily built into a wheel, The black anodising still looks great after a year, Never gone out of true no matter how hard I hammer them.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find

Bottom Line:
Bought these to build onto XT hubs to replace a a set of factory built wheels that kept breaking spokes. Hadnt built a wheelset for years and my wheel jig was only getting used to true wheels. I couldnt believe how easy it was to build the wheels they seemed to build themselves. Not the lightest rims out there but they bulk up a 2.25 tyre nicely and they just keep on rolling.

Favorite Trail:   Penmachno

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic XM317, Mavic XC717, Mavic EX 521, Alex T17, Sun Ringle

Bike Setup:   Commencal Super 4, Reba Forks, Elixir brakes, XT gears, Easton finishing kit, XM 719 rims on XT hubs with ACI double butted black spokes

Submitted by barbej a Cross Country Rider from York

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Strengths:    Dependable rim. I have a lot of bikes and currently have three sets of wheels built using these rims. I have gradually replaced all my wheels with these rims (when the others have worn out). Had no problems at all over the last three years using them for XC, commuting and touring. They are also the easiest rim to get tyres off and on. I prefer them to the narrower Mavic rims for this reason.

Bottom Line:
Dependable rims which are easy to live with.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 231's, FSA XC-300, Lots of no branded stuff

Submitted by rusty904 a Weekend Warrior from Winston Salem, NC

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2009

Strengths:    Tough, stiff, reasonable weight, looks good,low price...so everything

Weaknesses:    None, I guess there are lighter wheels out there but this is the best balance of price strength and cost for trail riding.

Bottom Line:
I bought this wheelset to replace the stock X430's after the front wheel was stolen. I decided to go with something a bit beefier. I'm 190lbs and I consider myself an aggressive trail rider and these rims have taken all the punishment I can dish out including 3-4ft drops, high speed crashes and rocky descents.
Paired up with the WTB hubs, (which have performed flawlessly BTW)2.0/1.8 spokes, and alloy nipples I think these weigh in at about 1850g. Not race light but respectable considering the strength.
I think the problems mentioned in the other reviews were the result of poor wheel building. Mine are still true after 2 years of abuse. BWW makes a quality wheel, I highly recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah, Black Mountain

Purchased At:   Bicycle Wheel Wareho

Similar Products Used:   DT X430, Mavic 317

Bike Setup:   07 Stumpy FSR comp, 719's and WTB laser disc lite hubs.

Submitted by trail rider a Cross Country Rider from Palo Alto, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2009

Weaknesses:    poor quality control

Bottom Line:
Absolute piece of junk. Of the four rims we have on two bikes, two have developed circumferential cracks from spoke hole to spoke hole completely around the inner surface (tube side) of the rim. Little pieces of metal have fallen out. Mavic has been completely unhelpful in terms of warranty. We have ridden about 4000 miles on these bikes, mostly long-distance off-road touring, but we are not heavy or aggressive riders. We have kept tire inflation pressures within that specified on the rims.

Purchased At:   Velotech

Similar Products Used:   first mountain bike

Bike Setup:   custom Sycip frame, Magura Odur fork, Rohloff hub

Submitted by tartosuc a Weekend Warrior from montreal

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Strengths:    very stron rim id the wheel is well built.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
very good rim if used for what it os intended for and built by hans by a good wheelbiuilder...i ride a lot of very rocky technical trail, i'm 200lbsv and the rim stayed true for the past 2 years! going strong for the 3rd season!

excellent buy

Favorite Trail:   mt st anne

Purchased At:   abc

Similar Products Used:   a lot of rim...mvic 321,521, x138, 223, 221, alot of sun and araya to...been biking for 24 year

Bike Setup:   balfa belair, nixon, 721 on xt hub

Submitted by paul a Cross Country Rider from acworth

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Strengths:    strong, round and tires mount easily

Weaknesses:    heavy, but thats why I bought them.

Bottom Line:
got sick of busting wheels or having to ride them too carefully. a man should be able to ride hard. after cracking rims and ruining spokes on all the above mentioned wheels, i decided to have a set built for my 225lbs with gear. i can feel the weight difference but the confidence gained is well worth it. it all comes down to who builds them and what materials they use. Colorado Cyclist custom built these with DT Swiss BD 15/16 spokes, alloy nipples and King hubs. seems to be a great set of wheels.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager super stock, race lite, valient, rolf propells, xt

Bike Setup:   DT Swiss DB 15/16 and King Hubs with alloy nipples, Bike is Racer X 100.

Submitted by chris barrs a Weekend Warrior from staffs,uk

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    flexy, egg shaped rather than round

Bottom Line:
a lot flexier than my old 321's i've replaced with these, but when i couldn't get a wobble out, my local bike shop found they were 'egged' due to how mavic had bonded the rim together- you'll never get them fully cicular. surely mavic or chain reaction should notice this? (can't afford to post them back to ireland!)

Favorite Trail:   roto vegas, nz

Purchased At:   chain reaction cycles

Similar Products Used:   mavic 321,219, planet x rims

Bike Setup:   sweet-as orange patriot

Submitted by Steven vanpoucke a Cross Country Rider from Leuven/ Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2004

Strengths:    Great strong Rims not to heavy. Stay straight even though I am quite a heavy guy on a hardtail that likes to jump a lot.

Weaknesses:    Non found yet

Bottom Line:
I've had them fot about four months now and they are still 100% ok. Bought them because I destroyed a pair of Coda 500 rims that were quite light but couldn't carry my 90 Kg too well. Despite heavy use the rims are still in perfect shape.

Favorite Trail:   Raid Across Jura Mountains

Purchased At:   The barracuda company

Similar Products Used:   Coda 500 series.

Bike Setup:   Scott team frame, SRAM 9.0, Race Face, DT-swiss, Rond-Magura

Shimano XT FH/BH 785 with Mavic XM 319/719/819 Disc Rims

Hello all, I'm plan for a new wheel set and have been looking on the Shimano Deore XT 785 hub together with Mavic rims and DT Swiss spokes. 1. Does anyone has the dimensions of this hub set? In shimano hub information on the link below, this hub is yet not listed. [URL]http://bike.shimano.com/publ ... Read More »

Mavic XM 719 Disc Rim width

What is the exact width of a Mavic XM 719 Disc Rim? I;m planning to build a new wheelset with these rims but one online store says it is 24.5 mm, another says 23.8mm and the Mavic site does not have the width stated. Mavic XM 719 Disc Rim owners, please help. Thank you!Read More »

Actual ERD of Mavic XM 719 disc rim??

Does anybody know the actual ERD??? I have seen different meassures of 532, 536 and 538 But which is correct???? Thanks ThomasRead More »

XM 719 front & XC 717 rear?

Would this be odd? I'm building a wheel set (my first) and I'm thinking about reusing a true XC 717 rim in the rear and running an XM 719 rim in the front. Reason being - I think I'll only want to run a 2.1 tire in rear. Any issues with this set up? Should I just run the same rim front and rear?Read More »

mavic XM 819 versus XM 719 rims?

Anybody have any thoughts on whether or not the additional 50 grams of slung weight is worth it for the 'upgrade' from a MAVIC 719 to an 819. I am not sold on the whole tubeless wheel thing. But I suppose the 819's are bomber. It is just that all those little metal nipple retainer things make the ... Read More »