Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic XM 317 - XM 317 Disc Rim

3.75/5 (72 Reviews)

Made withThe finest 6106 aluminum alloy, eyeleted for more durability, solidly pin joined and UB Control machined sidewalls for efficient braking, XM 317 will bring you anywhere.FEATURES 6106 aluminum alloyPinnedTraditional drillingUB ControlSingle eyeletClincher ETRTO compatible size: 559 x 17RecommendedTire widths: 1.00To 2.10Valve hole diameter: 8.5 mm, supplied with valve adapterRecommended nipple length: 12 mmRecommended rimTape: 559 x 18 x 0.6

Submitted by RJDOfThePhilippines a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2013

Strengths:    Tough.. Very tough, i always ride these rims on very technical trails here in my country and still looks new after all that rocks, sand, mud, roots, and even corals..

Weaknesses:    absolutely none that i could have find (i didnt mind the weight penalty from a cheap rim)

Bottom Line:
I used a maxxis minion tire on these rims and boy did they went on like bonnie and clyde..
It was a perfect match but cornering seems a bit akward for a not so wide rim on a huge 2.5 minion..
Over all, these rims really are tought, i fell of a 15-20 feet drop from a side cliff and not even my bike was scratches and these rims were fine.. Looked brand new every time i washed them..
Really cheap, tough, 4 chili for overall because these would have been great if it was wider but then again, this is intended for XC and i banged this rim for AM use and still no problems..

Submitted by Eben a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2013

Strengths:    Strong ,light and stiff .Combo with continental protection tyres worked flawless for 2012 season .More than 3000 km of the worst terrain .Total weight with rider is 115kg

Bottom Line:
Very good strong, light, responsive rim with hope hubs and conti protection tyres ,was used on giant anthem 29er for a hard season .Will use same set for 2013 .Good combo for heavy rider

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Bike Setup:   2012 Gaint anthem 29 XL

Submitted by Simon Lewis

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, Stiff,

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
So far with them on the roof I've reversed under a concrete lintel, driven under a height restriction barrier and riding I've picked up a log which broke three spokes and bent a fourth ... but I've not had to re-true.

What else is ther to say?

Submitted by garrett

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    dude. i got these wheels stock on my 2009 Fuji Outland Pro. it was my first full suspension bike but ive been a biker all my life so i learned fast. i ride my XC bike pretty hard and these wheels have been awesome. ive jumped them, ive ran through rock gardens with them, and ive had them for around a year and i have trued them only twice. they are still perfectly true.

Weaknesses:    huh?

Bottom Line:
dont listen to any other reviewer. i speak the truth

Submitted by brummiebiker a Cross Country Rider from birmingham

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2012

Strengths:    none at all , they just look nice

Weaknesses:    not wide enough, you can brake them easy even on the pavement !

Bottom Line:
i'm quiet heavy - over 100kg but iwas expecting little bit more from wheel for 60 british pounds , frnt wheel mavic 317 was broke , yes broken after about two months after hit on pavement . and my weight wasnt a problem because i was using old rigida from 1997 for 6 years till 2003 , i remember these lovely v-brake rims. dont buy mavic 317.
(sorry for bad english )

Favorite Trail:   xc

Similar Products Used:   rigida, mavic xm 117, mavic xm 721

Bike Setup:   carrera kraken, stx, alivio, mavic 721, race face evolve, wtb ,tioga yellow kirin

Submitted by Uzzi_PA a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Strengths:    These were an exact match for the older X221N rim it replaced. I simple taped the new rim to the old one and did a simple replacment. It trued up very smoothly, with no complications. Feels plenty strong and still pretty light weight.

Weaknesses:    The tire grove is too shallow for easy installation or proper tire seating, just like the old one...

Bottom Line:
These are clones of the X221, and share all their good and bad characteristics. I suggest using Stans No Tubes 12mm Rim Tape to tape the nipple holes up with. This gives you precious millimeters of room to work with in the tire groove.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge (York)

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   221's. 217's, 517's, crossmax, etc.

Bike Setup:   The wheel is a Specialised stout hub, 1.8mm black spokes, and brass nipples. The front wheel is still using the stock 221 rim and is still true.

Submitted by Veda a Racer from Indonesia

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap beginner's XC rim.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Ahh the standard rim they put on new bikes... does the job until you decide to shave weight or want to get serious about mountain biking. Haven't seen people breaking it so no comment regarding durability.

Similar Products Used:   Almost all brands.

Bike Setup:   Spark 30 + Titus X

Submitted by llewyn a Cross Country Rider from new zealand

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    weak,cracked around spokes, two rear wheels,no good for touring bikes,only for little kids

Bottom Line:
don't buy these rims they will fail

Favorite Trail:   the world

Purchased At:   nz

Similar Products Used:   shimano,wtb,rigida,no name brands, never had a rim crack around spokes before

Bike Setup:   touring,the real test for a bike

Submitted by Mutantclover a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2010

Strengths:    Builds up straight easily, good weight, cheap, not flashy

Bottom Line:
First wheel I ever built used this rim, the first build got me by but wasn't that true (I hardly knew what I was doing). I rebuilt it a month or two later, it came out very straight and has stayed that way for a little over 3 years and counting. Since then I have built two xc717 wheels and two velocity fusions. I think the XC717s are a little more rigid and are are 10% lighter but I will be getting 317's for my new wheels this year because they are so much cheaper. The Velocity rims weren't as straight at the weld as the Mavics (Mavics were spot on), and I haven't ridden the fusions too much yet, but I would buy either brand again, right now for me it comes down to price and what fits my application.

Purchased At:   Rose Bike

Similar Products Used:   xc717, sun cr18

Bike Setup:   XM317 silver with rim brake surface, used for front disc wheel

Submitted by epicjurneez a Weekend Warrior from sjc, ca

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2009

Strengths:    completely true after whistler! jumps, drops and all.

Bottom Line:
got em on ebay from a shady seller with a half functional rear hub. fixed it and have been happy since.

who know's how the seller treated this wheelset. But I've been hard on them.

Not sure why I hit whistler's slopes on these but it was a blast... got a pinch flat there but to my surprise, the wheels stay true! Over 2 years later, I'm still enjoying them. The best parts on a bike are the ones that make you want to ride when you see them and never have to think about when you're riding. 317's are awesome!

Favorite Trail:   what suits me at the time

Similar Products Used:   sun single track, sos, rhynolite xl...

Bike Setup:   wheelset has passed on between multiple frames= all-mtn= spesh enduro to IH mkiii, and onto my Bighit = all 20mm ft forks. hubs are wtb.

Submitted by audiness a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, fairly light, eyelets

Bottom Line:
These rims have held up for me beautifully. I ride several times a week, from urban freeriding to downhill, but mostly cross country riding. These rims have never let me down. I have put probably 2000 miles on them in the past 2 or 3 years. I am now getting ready to replace my wheels, not because of the rims, but my hubs have worn out (Shimano XT no less). I am 200 lbs and I consider myself a very aggressive rider. I've only had to true my wheels twice during ownership, and I think it was a spoke tension issue, not the rims themselves. I highly recommend.

Favorite Trail:   anything and everything

Purchased At:   jensonUSA

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro

Submitted by Bobert a Weekend Warrior from Themtharhills VIC. Australia

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2009

Strengths:    Nice and Light

Weaknesses:    I have had two sets of different tyres beads fold out during cornering, pressures of 45psi and above, instant over the handlebars action!

Bottom Line:
These rims came STD on my Trance X2, a bike which is a light all mountain bike, with 5 inches of travel. So surely you would think the rims supplied as stock would be capable of coping with terrain associated with this type of bike. My experience is that the diameter of the rim is too small as the beads on tyres are not imbedded enough in the rim to stay in during hard cornering. I have had the bead pop out of the rear wheel with a tyre pressure of 45psi and the front wheel at the same pressure, I have tried higher pressures up to 60psi and while this stops the tyre from popping out and off completely it still rolls, jams in your fork or stay just for a second and bang instant lockup of front or back wheel. Nasty.
Flexi, badly made rims, STAY AWAY.

Purchased At:   Ivanhoe Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Lots, not one for names, 20 years of MTBing

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X2

Submitted by srush a Cross Country Rider from Newnan,ga,usa

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2009

Strengths:    They look nice and I liked them until they failed.

Weaknesses:    cheap. weak,in my opinion. If you look closely,they are not welded,only pinned. Is this to save a buck?

Bottom Line:
My experience is that the rim is weak. I am 195 lbs.I don't believe that this is too heavy for a wheel that came stock on a Specialized bike in size XL.The rim failed on my 3rd ride. It was a slight downhill and brakes were lightly applied. The front rim exploded (tacoed).I was taken to the emergency room with a broken collarbone....many bills have followed.If you have had similar experience ....please contact me.tsrush@charter.net

Favorite Trail:   tsali