Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic XM 117 - XM 117 Disc Rim

3.62/5 (26 Reviews)

Optimized rim profile, UB Control braking surface, XM 117 is one ofThe highest quality entry level rim onThe market.FEATURES 6106 aluminum alloyPinnedTraditional drillingUB ControlNon eyeletedClincherExternal wear indicator ETRTO compatible size: 559 x 17RecommendedTire widths: 1.00To 2.10Valve hole diameter: 8.5 mm, supplied with valve adapterRecommended nipple length: 12 mmRecommended rimTape: 559 x 18 x 0.6

Submitted by Corporal Punishment a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2011

Strengths:    Look sharp

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
These rims came with a wheelset I bought at LBS. I'm sure they were taken off a new bike that was upgraded. Never had a problem with them. Recently I laced on a new rear hub myself. No problems yet. I'm 190 and ride like a bulldozer. Lots of logs, small drops and some small jumps. I think most complaints about rims have to do with a bad wheel build more than the rims themselves. Tension and truing is key. One chili off for not having reinforced eyelets in the spoke holes. Like I said, no problems yet, but I'm just sayin...

Favorite Trail:   Cunningham

Bike Setup:   HT/XC

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR. USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2009

Strengths:    Durable

Weaknesses:    None that I`ve found

Bottom Line:
I`ve ridden these wheels pretty hard (a relative term for moutain bikers) for five years and they`ve held up just great. They`ve survived several crashes and come through better than I have.

They get me out and back. What more can I ask for?

They`re a good servicable rim for the money

Favorite Trail:   Mrazek, Happy Valley, Flagline

Purchased At:   Hutch`s

Similar Products Used:   FSA, Bontrager, etc.

Bike Setup:   Mildly customized Giant NRS2

Submitted by radiomog a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Strengths:    haven't had any problems what so ever

Weaknesses:    none that I know of.

Bottom Line:
OEM equipment on my 06 Prophet. No problems with them what so ever, they have remained true since day 1. While I'm not a hard core biker, I'm no girly man and like to push myself, I've thrown a lot of stuff at this bike and have not had any problems.

Favorite Trail:   local stuff

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   OEM

Bike Setup:   06 Prophet

Submitted by bruised and pissed a Weekend Warrior from London Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2009

Strengths:    They LOOK like Carbon

Weaknesses:    They are weak and soft and it doesnt take much to break them.

Bottom Line:
These rims almost cost me my life.
On a downhill ride I got about 70% of the way down the hill that Ive gone down a ton of times before on my old bike and I hear a PING noise.
Next thing I know Im waking up on the ground with a rim that is snapped at the seam.
I shattered my Helmet and wrecked the handlebars on my bike and it was only cause of these rims breaking.

I dont know what Norco was thinking putting these on an All Mountain Bike but they are a safety hazzard - Im not a extreme rider and I dont do jumps, Im just in it for the workout (Im 5'10 and 185lbs)

Favorite Trail:   Boler

Purchased At:   Local Bike Store

Bike Setup:   Norco Fluid 2.0

Submitted by Pablo X a Cross Country Rider from MEXICO

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2008

Strengths:    great handling,resistant for x-country use, 32h,nice looking , great entry level mavics

Weaknesses:    little heavy

Bottom Line:
This rims came with my BH expert mtb, I thought they wont last too long,but a year from now they still working fine,I´m surprised!

Favorite Trail:   SLP

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Sunn , Mavic crossland, Vuelta.

Bike Setup:   Hayes GX2 disk brakes, michelin+ country trail tires

Submitted by Mike Sweum a Racer from Sioux City,IA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    Solid,fairly lightweight and dependable

Weaknesses:    Weight if thats a major concern to ya

Bottom Line:
I have replaced alot of stuff on this Cannondale since I bought it.This wheelset is just to damn dependable and I ride really hard. I would recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Ponca state park

Purchased At:   Spoke n Sport

Similar Products Used:   Sun rims and other mavics

Bike Setup:   F600 Cannondale with lots of nice stuff,hardly stock.

Submitted by nightbike.. a Weekend Warrior from Cassovia, Slovakia

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2008

Strengths:    pretty neat looks

Weaknesses:    one second day ride I hit the curb with rear wheel pretty hard, but not that hard. Well the rims is not as perfect it was before.

Bottom Line:
I was expecting more from these rims, as a starter they are fine but i don't recommend them..

Favorite Trail:   all around

Similar Products Used:   classic aluminum rim (absorbed even harder hits better )

Bike Setup:   Apache Blackhawk - stock so far (www.apache-bike.cz) sold only in CZ and around I quess

Submitted by Zomb1e a Cross Country Rider from St-Petersburg, Russia

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2008

Strengths:    moderately light, strong, looks pretty in black

Weaknesses:    have no eyelets

Bottom Line:
Mavic's advertisement wasn't wrong - this is really one of the best rims for the money (I paid $60 for the whole front wheel on Deore hub). It is light enough, but not the lightest - hmm, what do you want for that price? I used it on my front wheel with 6" disc for about 4000 km, including XC and adventure races and have no problems at all - the rim is still true. 4 chili value due to weight, 5 chili overall.

Favorite Trail:   any single track

Similar Products Used:   Alex DM18

Bike Setup:   X.7 derailers, triggers, cassete & chain, LX crank, RST Megaan fork, Deore front/XT rear hubs, IRC Mythos tires.

Submitted by James Fedosov a Weekend Warrior from St. Catharines

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2007

Strengths:    Pretty strong, came on a cross country bike (cannondale F800) which i have taken on terrain definantly not meant for the wheels or bike, and they held up fine, nothing wrong with any of the wheel, have ridden them to a few race wins.

Weaknesses:    a little on the heavy side, but im definantly not a weight weenie.

Bottom Line:
excellent rims for fairly cheap.

Favorite Trail:   anything, literally.

Purchased At:   Liberty! Bikes

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F800, mavic 117s, FSA v-drive cranks, Full LX, XT.

Submitted by nh from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2006

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Too soft, flat spot easily

Bottom Line:
On trails that use the full 4 inch travel on the Trance these rims are too soft. Buckeled very quickely and then got a flat spot.

Consider a better quality rim eg Mavic 719

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 719

Bike Setup:   2006 Trance 3

Submitted by Owen a Cross Country Rider from Thunder Bay, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2006

Strengths:    Very strong rim, ceramic brake surface provides excellent wet/mud breaking. Absolutely beautiful looks with the CD surface treatment and laser etched Mavic logo.

Weaknesses:    The ceramic coating does tend to chip if anything dings the side of the rim.

Bottom Line:
I think some of the more recent posts about this rim are people confusing this older rim style, for the 2006 ultra cheap mavic 117 rims. The older 117 SUP Ceramic (pre 2000) rim used to be Mavic's best rim, the new (2006) rim is a cheap OEM junker designed to get bikes through their first year of riding. A new section should be setup for the cheaper OEM 117 rims. The old 117 rims are about as good as it gets, all the performance of the modern XC 717 Ceramic, with better looks and much lower cost (if you can find them).

Favorite Trail:   Any fast singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Cross Ride, Rhyno lite, etc...

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Delux

Submitted by Shai a Weekend Warrior from Nesher, Israel

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Strengths:    Survivied the first ride

Weaknesses:    But severely bent at the second ride. Became useless from zero velocity fall. The stress on the rim was very low during the fall, and I was amazed how destructive it was. My former Giant suffered plenty of much harder stresses on the rim, without even a sign for bending.

Bottom Line:
Definitely not recommended for purchacing, and a BIG question mark why Cannondale put unsuitable rim on the Prophet.

Purchased At:   Speed Ofan