Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic XC 717 Disc Rim Rim

4.48/5 (42 Reviews)

The Mavic XC 717 disc rim is the 'go-to' rim for hand built XC wheels. Black.

Submitted by ChrisTexan a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2013

Strengths:    Never fail under my currently 250# (not counting gear) self.

Weaknesses:    Haven'f found any

Bottom Line:
I've now had these since 2005, laced to Hope Bulb hubs with DT Swiss Comp spokes. Had them custom built by Speedgoat, and after a short period, retensioned all spokes. I spec'd them to accomodate my (then) 215# self (plus more with riding gear, figure 225 riding weight).
This past February, I finally broke a rear spoke (several have been bent by rocks over the years, and other than retensioning, I haven't bothered to replace them, just retensioned and moved on, so probably one of the bent ones broke. (32-hole setup). No significant deflection after that, rode another 2 miles (a bit more cautiously) back to camp with some rocky and rooty parts. Got a spare spoke at home, relaced that hole, and have been riding since.
Not sure how people are breaking these other than maybe having them come detensioned during riding, maybe Mavic quality on these has dropped, but these 2005-06ish age rims have been bulletproof (they've outlasted one frame already, and a lot of other broken parts from race crashes).

Favorite Trail:   Johnson Branch

Duration Product Used:   7-8 years

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Original Mavic XC117s (I think) that came on Specialized in 2003. Still have those as backups, those had about 1000 miles when I switched.

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Enduro (2nd frame), Avid Juicy 7 180/160 brakes, all XT components except SRAM 990 cassette. Pushed rear shock, Rockshox Reba fork, Hope Bulb hubs (f/r), and the parts above. Whatever tires I grab out of the garage when I shred a tire.

Submitted by Troy Fretwell

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    Never have to worry about them

Bottom Line:
These rims just take whatever abuse you can throw at them, and never complain in the slightest.
If built up right, and re-tensioned/again, they will stay true for years.
One less thing to worry about on your bike.

Submitted by CoonenG a Cross Country Rider from Knokke , Belgium

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    Light , responsive and sturdy

Weaknesses:    none ...besides giving my lbs a hard time setting them up...

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this set-up over 3years now ..the xc717 , dtswiss revolution spokes with the DT pro lock-nipples and the xt-hubs

Never had any troubles, not even in the hardest world-cup races in Houffalize in the worst weather-conditions .
Spokes never came loose , just now after 3 years i had to straighten the back-rim .
I ride pretty hard, jump over several obstructions etc.
By far the best wheelset i've ever driven and as they never failed on me.
It is a good budget-build for starting race-riders .
I felt these were very responsive on hard-trails , easy tire-mounting and maintenance-free with the dt-pro locks .
Not the lightests , but certainly one of the best weight/strenght/price -ratio !

Favorite Trail:   Houffalize

Purchased At:   local dealer : royal

Bike Setup:   scott scale 40 & 60 , slx/xt-gearing , hayes brakes ...

Submitted by Rillyroy a Weekend Warrior from Wrexham

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Too soft for anything but light XC work.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as a package including SLX hubs & brakes for £300. They were hand built by Merlin Cycles and felt nice & light to ride without too much flex. 3rd ride out & the rear rim crushed in 2 places. I straightened it up & 4th ride it buckled in a different spot. I usually build my own wheels & have been riding since 1987 but I have never had this trouble before.

Trying out superstar rims for half the price of the Mavics next ride (They look identical but are 35g heavier & are pinned instead of welded)

Favorite Trail:   Climach-X

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 217, Alex DP17, Mavic D521

Bike Setup:   Meriada AM-500, Marzocchi All MountainIII (150mm), SLX Hubs, Brakes & Crankset, XT Shadow Mech, Easton EA-30 bars.

Submitted by milwaukeehaze a Cross Country Rider from Glendale, WI

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, stays true

Weaknesses:    Welding(?)

Bottom Line:
I have like these rims that last 2 years I have ridden them as they are lightweight and have stayed very true after racing cross country. Yes, here's the "but" to this... Today, after doing about 15 miles of cross country fun I was cleaning my ride and as I was spinning the rear wheel in the stand, I kept hearing a "clinking" sound coming from the rim. After removing, tube, tire and rim strip, I see through the spoke holes a rectangular piece of metal that was sliding around just underneath the rim weld. I searched online and found a few others with the same problem, and that this piece basically clips around the welded seam inside of the rim. However, I am not sure if I can ride with this piece loose, or can have my LBS fix, or have any warranty claim with MAVIC. I would welcome any suggestions. So, after never having no problems with my old Bontragers over 4 years, I am disappointed with MAVIC right now. Last but not least...I weigh in at 170 lbs and ride ONLY cross country and have taken, at the most, a one-foot drop.

If I can't get them fixed, it's on to the DT Swiss rims as DT Swiss has always spelled "quality" in my book.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Online bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager

Bike Setup:   GIANT NRS C2, hope pro II hubs, DT Swiss revolution spokes

Submitted by Green Line Velo a Racer from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, low inertia, good steering response, decelerates quickly, resists braking forces, fairly low maintennance

Weaknesses:    the rim weld is the weakest link. if the setup is not perfect and rim not true it folds like a house of cards.

Bottom Line:
the 2007 XC 717 rims were laced with DT Swiss comp spokes to a XT hub. Some unknown force caused the rim weld to crack open causing a flat spot circumfrentially and warping longitudinally. The spoke nipple broke inside of the rim causing the spoke hole to "spider" thus no more platform for the spoke nipple flange. I have ridden on these rims only 6 times and raced only 3 times in 2.5 years due to injuries and broken bikes. Loved the rims when they are perfect but Mavic mountain rims have a history of being busted by spokes. Im a 200lb racer who destroys frames, wheelsets, shoes, peals, bottom brackets, forks, femurs, wrists, clavicles and AC joints on fairly tame XC trails. The front rim is still good though give me another month and ill destroy that one too.

Favorite Trail:   Wompatuck

Purchased At:   Landry's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   2002 XC 517 rim (split rim longitudinally) 2006 XC 517 rim (unable to be trued perfectly)

Bike Setup:   1 season on a Specialized Rockhopper FSR (broke frame) then put on to 2008 Specialized Epic Marathon FSR parts on both were Reba Race fork, Avid Juicy 7, XT cranks, SLX fd, X9 rd and shifters, Race face post, stem and bars.

Submitted by CruzDemon a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, On, Can

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2009

Strengths:    + Light (measured-in at 395g on the scale?)
+ Strong
+ Low Price (~$50 per rim)
+ Great Profile

Weaknesses:    - Nil

Bottom Line:
Fantastic rim! The X717 is nice and light, strong, and stiff when built properly.

I have mine laced-up with DT Comp and 775's which leaves me with a very reliable, strong, relatively light, free-rolling set of wheels.

I ride quite aggressively, carry tons of speed, and really put my XC parts through a good deal of trauma. That said, (bearing in mind one is performing regular wheel maintenance)the 717's are stiff in the corners, accelerate very well and need little attention to stay happy.

Definitely recommended

Favorite Trail:   Glen Major System

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Bontrager, Alex...

Bike Setup:   DEAN Colonel, XT, XTR, Race Face...

Submitted by ering a Weekend Warrior from cali

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2009

Strengths:    Light, super cheap in US, durable, stays true.

Weaknesses:    None after 2 years, exc maybe the pin.

Bottom Line:
I weigh over 210 and I carry a pack. I ride trails with rock gardens and moderate drops. I have beat on these rims and they work still perfectly. I would not use these...XC lightweight rims for hucking, flat 3 foot drops, jumping off cliffs, but for anything else they are the bargain of the decade. As far as scratching, are you nuts?

Favorite Trail:   diablo

Purchased At:   pp

Similar Products Used:   Just about everyone's.

Bike Setup:   XC HT and AM6"

Submitted by ceejayvee a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2008

Strengths:    Light, very strong for a xc rim

Weaknesses:    Cost.
Bit of a pig to build/true/dish.
Scratch really easy.

Bottom Line:
If you don't build or re-true yourself and price is no problem, get these.

Very durable, takes a drop onto tarmac of at least 4ft (possibly more?) with an 11 1/2 stone rider and stayed true.

UK rrp: £38, silver/disc, the blk are £42! The 317 RRP is £22

If you build your own, or true them yourself, get the 317's. I prefer pinned and sleeve rims as I build my own wheels and they are easier to build with. Can't get even spoke tension around the wield area.

Similar Products Used:   717/517 disc & rim, 321, 317

Bike Setup:   Bianchi, Marzocchi MCX ECC, Hope XC/Sapim Race/317, LX train, XT Discs, RF post n bar, On-One stem

Submitted by dantheman762 a Cross Country Rider from Uxbridge, Ontario, CANADA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, combined with incredible strength. Best weight/durability combo.

Weaknesses:    Might be a little too light for riders over 170lbs, if doing anything more than XC racing.

Bottom Line:
Mavic XC 717s are by far the BEST compromise for weight and durability. No contest here. Even if you do moderate stunts and drops (3 feet) and weight less than 170lbs, these things will stay true - just take care of them with spoke tension and you'll love them. Not bad for a cross-country race rim. Also the best way to go if you aren't 100% sold on Mavic's hubs and not sure about buying their complete ($$$) wheel-sets.

Favorite Trail:   TJ's Way, Walker Woods

Purchased At:   Spoke-O-Motion, Newm

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Select rims, but these aren't similar and don't compare.

Bike Setup:   2007 Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Fox RP3, Manitou Comp Air (Fox will be my next upgrade), XT 770 disc hubs/DT-Swiss Super-Comp spokes/717 rims/Crank Brothers split skewers with Continental Speed King Super-Sonic 2.1 on the rear and Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution 2.1 on the front, XT 770 hydro brakes (on back-order), King headset, XT 760 Low-Normal ("rapid-rise") rear D, LX front D, SRAM 990 11-32 cassette, SRAM 991 Cross-Step chain, XT 760 crankset with TIME ATAC ROC XS pedals, Easton EC-70 zero-offset seatpost and monkey-lite high-rise bars, LX shifters, ergon grips, WTB Devo saddle.

Submitted by dek london a Cross Country Rider from birmingham/london

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    light rotational weight, smooth aerodynamic profile, strong

Weaknesses:    never had any probs

Bottom Line:
i only weigh 13 stone, so im light, maybe thats why ive never had any serious problems with mavic rims.i ride all the time.keep your wheels on the trail, land jumps smooth, and keep your tyre pressure spot on and checked every week.

the last pair i had lasted 2.5 years on my old chameleon, on white industries fr hub and a middleburn rear, and i only needed them trued twice and theyre still going on my dmr trailster so ill run them into the ground.

will always use mavics as ive been riding on them since i started riding 15 years ago

Favorite Trail:   swinley woods, chicksands, hamstead heath mini trail jumps

Purchased At:   cyclesurgery

Similar Products Used:   always used mavic rims

Bike Setup:   the best santa cruz chameleon in the world, mint green custom paint, revelations 426, xtr, hope hubs, answer bars, intense ti seat, sub 26 lbs.

Submitted by Cracker69 a Weekend Warrior from Whitefish Bay WI USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, durability, looks

Weaknesses:    no noticeable problems

Bottom Line:
These are nice rims well made no nonsense and strong without too much beef. Two weeks ago I fried my senses in a local cross country race and left the front wheel resting against my vehicle and attempted to drive away. The wheel fell beneath the front tire and I backed over it. In an attempt to correct my error I then drove forward and back over the whhel. SO I drove over the wheel twice in a mid-sized SUV. The rim wasn't even bent, the skewer was shot and the brake rotor was as well but the rim and hub were completely fine - not even a mm out of whack and no evident of trauma. I've ridden it twice since without issue - I'm convinced......

Favorite Trail:   Crystal Ridge

Purchased At:   bike wheel warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Sun Rhyno Lites (great but too fat), Sun DS1-XC (good but to skinny), Alex DH 18 and 19 (very good), Bontrager Mustangs (also very good)

Bike Setup:   Mountain cycle Zen, RS Recon, XT hubs, Sram X7/X9 shifters, truvative crank etc etc

Submitted by methcohna a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    Light, circular shape

Weaknesses:    Unbelievable weak, dents, splits and feels flexy.

Bottom Line:
I have had the rim 3-4 weeks and I am taking it off to replace already. I cant believe how poor this rim is, I have had a different (older) model similar to this rim that after a year of thrashing only had one tiny ding. The 313 now has 3 big dints and has split the rim, it easily buckles and feels really flexible.

I was on a tight budget when I bought the rim, but trust me, spend the extra money and get a DT Swiss, I am running that with a hope hub and its bombproof.

Uterly disappointed, just hope the bike shop refund my money!

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss (very good) Mavix 323 (i think, this was also quite good)

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Laguna Hills Ca.

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Strengths:    Like the silver option. Very hard to see rock ricochet scratches

Weaknesses:    underrated in strength

Bottom Line:
I weigh 200 pounds. I jump at the local ABA bmx track and I ride aggresively on rough trails with 3-5 foot drops and exposed rocks. The nipples are aluminum, the spokes are DTcomps, the hubs are a pro 2 front and King rear. I feel if you have a wheel builder who knows how to make them, this rim will give you the best of both worlds as long as you check your tire pressure before you ride and don't neglet them. They have come out of true for me twice, but my shop re-checked each spokes tension and trued them. That was about a year ago, and I feel the time they needed to break in. For my style of riding, I can't ask for a better rim.

Favorite Trail:   five oaks Aliso