Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

3.12/5 (50 Reviews)

Mavic X138

Submitted by Tony From Northern California

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2014

Strengths:    Strength
Price
Weight is not even that bad for a wheel from the late 90s
Straight as an Arrow

Bottom Line:
The x138 wheelset came stock on my Marin East Peak all the way back in 1998, I have been riding these wheels hard. I have blown through 3 rear shocks and had my recon rebuilt more times than i can count, and in that time ive only trued them maybe a handful of times and at the most its only by a few millimeters. For the price they are a great rim when paired with the Parallax Hubs. Ive commuted on this bike but mostly i ride this in Downieville which is a pretty significant downhill trail. For the price you cant beat em.

Submitted by Manj "d man" a Downhiller from Butuan, Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2005

Strengths:    they're bad as they wanna be. Helps you stabilize your cornering. Can handle drops w/out a mess. Light in its class

Weaknesses:    heavy for xc racing

Bottom Line:
this rims are for dh but also good in freeride in the free world! makes me more confident to ride in the rocks even in a fast pace. No more tacoed drops worries unless your too heavy. Still you can climb but not too fast 'coz of weight. You won't regret this super wide rim folks

Favorite Trail:   Bon2x,pianing, nong2x, dumalagan uphill

Purchased At:   my cousin (a former dh/freeride) 2nd hand to me

Bike Setup:   Freeride, nose up, 145mm gts fork,2 wide type rims mavic x138 in front & hen li double track-rear, v-brakes w/ booster, 2.0 specialized enduro front wheel, 2.1 little albert-schwalbe- rear.

Submitted by Jorge Zayas a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2005

Strengths:    They mantain true no matter what
Good braking surface
Very light and fast

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I've been not only riding on these wheels but abusing them for quite a whike now and they seem to be indestructible, plus the bike looks great.

Favorite Trail:   Finca las flores

Purchased At:   Guilly's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Sun rims cr18

Bike Setup:   Supergo's access full shimano xt

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2005

Strengths:    Been wicked reliable.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These rims have been excellent. They came with my bike. I have been riding on them for 5 yrs(light XC, with a few smalldrops here and there) and I have yet to even have them trued (sp?) Front and rear are both still straight as arrows.

Purchased At:   Bay Sports

Bike Setup:   Full suspension Devinci Massai.

Submitted by ED a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    Lasted 1 year

Weaknesses:    Became bent beond Repair

Bottom Line:
This Rim is OK for light riding, very light. This thing became so bent the disc got messed up from rubbing the pads constantly. its probobly not good for you if your over 120 lbs and especially not if you own a hardtail.

Purchased At:   Knapps Bikes

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Specialized 2003 Full suspension FSR Pro Comp Disc

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Strengths:    Light, durable, holds its true

Weaknesses:    No guady clour scheme for posers

Bottom Line:
These rims have stayed true for me over 6 years of xc and touring use. I wonder if there is a difference between the X138 and X139. Mine are X138 with 36 spokes and eyelets, can't understand anyone getting cracks around the spokes. I dont ride freeride stuff and for the past 3 yrs have mainly used them for expedition touring, but this includes carrying 30kgs of gear on mountain firetrail descents. Iam only a fly weight but have ridden these rims over rough stuff at speed with no ill effects. No spoke failures, rims have stayed true (well the rear has a little wobble), not too bad after 6 years of zero service and about 12000-15000 kilometres. I would buy these again happily for XC riding

Favorite Trail:   Old Bay Rd

Purchased At:   Christies Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Arai, Mavic X223disc

Bike Setup:   MTB touring and XC

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2004

Strengths:    So far, they take what ever I throw at them.

Weaknesses:    No bragging rights about cool wheels.

Bottom Line:
This is for the 139's that came stock on my bike. I've been riding them for awhile now and I can't complain for coming stock on my bike. I weigh 225lbs and ride a few times a week and as of yet, they are still true and rolling along. I don't avoid drops and gaps but I don't seek out crazy stuff either and these have earned their keep. Of course, I'm going to upgrade them when they fail me but until then, why spend the money.

Favorite Trail:   the luge

Purchased At:   Rock and Road

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Enduro with Marzocchi Drop off comps. The wheels have a Stout front hub with a Deore rear.

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    Hmmmm...None

Weaknesses:    These things tacoed going into an easy XC corner

Bottom Line:
I was going down a beginer XC trail and went into a corner and the wheel tacoed throwing me over the bars. I weigh 200lbs and am a decent rider. This scares me as I wasn't doing anything abnormal and they just bent in HALF! I will just get heavy string rims this time so I don't have to worry about dying on a ride.

Favorite Trail:   Foresthill Divide

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg

Submitted by Chad E a Racer from St.Catharines Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    -Wicked fast
-Wicked light
-Wicked stlye

Weaknesses:    Not as INDESTRUABLE as every rider would like. We all want the lightest Indestructable Rim. you lose Strenght with weight... Its a given. so don't huck yourself on rims that arn't ment for It... tune your bike accordingly I would take a 100$ bike down a heavy shore line trail and drop It 7-10 feet, hey how did I bend my rims?

Bottom Line:
Not only was I so overwhelmed by the difference the x139 had on my Rhyno lite XL both done by RockyMountain Wheel Tech. It Increase my response incredably. Acceleration was very noticable. If yah wanna pick up speed and not lose too much Strength these wheel sets rock... PROPS to rocky mountain.... "REVEIWS THAT ARE REAL"

Favorite Trail:   Short Hills Niagara

Purchased At:   Rapid City Cycle (most awesome bike shop)

Similar Products Used:   Rhyno Lite XL Rocky Mountain Wheel Tech.

Bike Setup:   Norco Torrent/Mavic 139/Disc /Z5 Bombers / Shimano XL Drive Train

Submitted by Fred not dead a Cross Country Rider from around

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Strengths:    Price, cool blue ano to match LX hubs

Weaknesses:    Mavic low end rims
no welding/machining

Bottom Line:
x138 are the basic Mavic XC rims, the lowest in Mavic food chain. As they are they are not welded just pinned; sides are not machined. Profile wise they're very similar to 221 (save CNC and welding) with 2 round loops on sides, made out of same Al 6106 alloy and after break-in perform similar.

For high end rims like 517 Mavic uses Maxtal alloy said to be 30% stronger then 6106. Still 221 and 138 should be about as strong thanks to triple cavities. Life expectancy is lower, but who cares if you can get 6 rims for price of one 517?

Some of the comments below are just plain ridiculous. Taco? easy to bend? break spokes? my ass.. YOU just got bad wheel build, period. I've build a set and after 3mo of abuse on hardtail (several rocky pinch flats) the most truing rear needed was 1/8 of the turn.

Notes about metal shavings are true. Mavic rim profiling/anodizing leaves microfractures on surface and since sides were not machined you may get it esp with cheap brake pads. Watch out for it on new rims and clean pads if need.

On new rims I'd also recommend to file seams to save brake pad wear.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 517, 221; bunch of Suns, Weinnmans/Rigidas, Bontragers

Bike Setup:   steel hardtail beater with LX/x138 rims

Submitted by Gordon Lo a Weekend Warrior from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Strengths:    Light and fast.

Weaknesses:    The rims hit my brakes on some rocky sections making a pinging noise.

Bottom Line:
The rims are great, fast and light. The only complaint i have is that even with a new hub and properly tensioned spokes it still hits my brakes and pings. Aside from that try to avoid soft brake pads, they wear like crazy with these rims.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso snakes and ladders

Purchased At:   Cyclepath (came with the bike)

Similar Products Used:   no-named brand garbage, some other Alex rims.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2002 Rockhopper A1FS with M515 pedals.

Submitted by Olivier a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    double walls
strong for me

Weaknesses:    none so far
(well can't use shrader with those without dremeling)

Bottom Line:
Well, I am starting to wonder if we are talking about the same product here: those are x139. I am pretty heavy (200+), use them everyday commuting, hit curbs, and on the week ends I go on those fantastic trails here in Vancouver (ouhou North Shore!). Never had any problem with those. Considering buying a new set to mount my slicks on, I'm tired of changing the rubbers every week end.

Purchased At:   cove bike shop (they rule!)

Similar Products Used:   other mavics

Bike Setup:   stock for now

Submitted by CityCommuter a Cross Country Rider from Fort Lauderdale

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Strengths:    Inexpensive, straight.

Weaknesses:    Cheap. Major cracking around spoke nipples.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Mavic x138 wheelset for road riding and used it for a bit over a year. While retensioning the rear wheel I noticed large cracks and bulges around two of the nipples. There have been no major single stresses I'm aware of. I use this wheelset exclusively on the road, and expected to wear through the sidewalls before having any other sort of problem with it. I am still riding on it, and so far so good - there are two drive-side spokes that are a little loose now, but I'll just ride it until it's really shot.

Purchased At:   Plaine's Cycle, New York

Similar Products Used:   Various other Mavic rims.

Bike Setup:   Old Spec. Rockhopper with drop bars, lights, fenders, racks, 1.25" slicks - commuter bike.

Submitted by Fermat a Weekend Warrior from Calgary

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    matches the yellow and black paint of my bike

Weaknesses:    ONE LOUSY ROCK AND PIIIIIINNNNGGG!!!

Bottom Line:
the X139's came stock with the 2002 Jekyll 500 setup. I've been riding some fairly easy XC trails for the past month and ran into about a 100 foot long downhill sloping double track section with your average rooty/lumpy trail consistency. Halfway down, I blew my line and struck a smooth faced rock which cranked my wheel over about 60 degrees to the left (which also launched me over the handlebars as well). The front rim folded like a soft taco and has the curve of a sombrero.

Normally i'd expect more out of mountain biking gear.

I'm 165 lbs, I don't ride insane downhill (in fact, i'm freakin' scared of doing anything with a steep pitch), and I don't drive my front wheel into crap like curbs and rocks.

I'd expect that a rim should be able to stand up to the occasional root or rock that juts out on the trail - well, this one doesn't.

My advice, upgrade your rims before your stuck walking your bike back to the car.

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike City

Bike Setup:   stock rims on 2002 Cannondale Jekyll 500

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    Held up like a champ in sedona. Even big steps and drop offs on the down hills.

Weaknesses:    came with cheap deore hubs other than that works just fine. I dont know what some of you guys or girls do but i am a heavy rider and i have taken these wheels to hell and back.

Bottom Line:
The Wheel works. Held up to what i have thrown at it. And i usually ride trails where dual suspension would be nice. Although there is much better rims out there so you decide.

Favorite Trail:   any where in sedona