Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic F519 Rim

4.25/5 (56 Reviews)

Mavic F519 Freeride rim - Weight : 460g. - Drilling : 32, 36.

Submitted by shanedawg a Downhiller from san jose, ca, USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2005

Strengths:    light weight for the strength, good looks, eyelets. Not to expensive.

Weaknesses:    hmmm

Bottom Line:
This rim has been truly outstanding. I have three wheels with these rims. My trail bike has them and they may be stronger than I need for that bike. I took it to porcupine rim and then rims laughed at the rocky terrain.

I have also been running it as a REAR rim on my freeride/DH/urban bike for the past 3 years, with the last 18months on a Turner RFX. I took the bike to whistler, northshore Vancouver, and recently to the rockiest terrain you can find, Northstar in Tahoe. I had to baby it at northstar but everywhere else I went big, even hitting 8ft drops on it. In the last year I broke two spokes and sheared off a spoke nipple, each time re-tensioning and re-truing the wheel and the rim is still going strong. At northstar I put some dings in the side wall of the rim and I started running 2.5 tires full time now so I think it's time for a new, wider rim. I am looking at either the XM321 or the ex729 since I like mavic so much after owning these rims.

Oh yeah, don't forget the wheelbuilder is as key to the strength of your wheel as the parts you buy.

Purchased At:   Slough's bike shoppe, San jose

Similar Products Used:   bontrager, sun ryhno lite

Bike Setup:   Had these rims on a few diff bikes. Some all mountain rides and also been running it on the back of my freeride/urban/dirt jump bike for the past 3 years. Running dt 14/15 with alloy nips on the trail bike and 14/15 with brass nips on the dh bike. combo of white industries and CK hubs.

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Marysville

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2005

Strengths:    Very Strong for the weight. I have had very good luck with Mavic Rims. I feel they make one of the finest rims. The 519 is wide enough to use a nice size tire.

Weaknesses:    None for me.

Bottom Line:
Iam a agressive trail/light freerider. I put alot of miles on my bike and like things that last. The rim has a good to strength weight ratio. Survived numerous 4ft flat landings. Alot of high speed downhills with numerous rock gardens.

I run 2.2(trail) or 2.35(downhill) tires and the rim is wide enough for both. This rim is a great choice for heavy duty trail riding.

I have had to true them a couple of times. Just very minor. The second best wheelset I have ever owned. The best set of wheels I ever owned were also Mavic.

I plan on replacing them with the new 719 very soon. AWESOME RIM FOR TRAIL RIDING/LIGHT DUTY FREE RIDE.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Bidwell

Purchased At:   Colorodo Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Sun,Alex,Salsa and many others. Mavic 517 and117

Bike Setup:   S/C Heckler Marzocchi Z1FRSL 130mm, Sram x7/x9 shifters, Avid Mech. Brakes,LX Front Der.,LX Cranks w/Bashring, XT hubs w/ Mavic 519.

Submitted by Andrew Chau a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2005

Strengths:    Light, Strong, good for v-brakes, Decent Price

Weaknesses:    none that i can find

Bottom Line:
These Rims had gone through alot and they are still holding shape, no warping, no flatspots, nothing that would be detrimental to the well being of the whole wheel. Considering i have had these for a very long time and considering that i have been using them on a hub that has worn cones and considering that i bent my last rim almost 40 degrees...These rims rock! But then again i only ride XC and nothing crazy unless i feel like being a nutter...

Purchased At:   Camberwell Cycles (closed down)

Similar Products Used:   Alex DM20,

Bike Setup:   Was a Mongoose DX6.7, Deore LX front, Sachs Neos Rear, Stx hubs, v-brakes, crankset...was an old bike,
Now Rockmachine Rockgrinder, Deore setup, Hayes Discs.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Orono ME USA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2005

Strengths:    I was reading the reviews of this product and was suprised that everyone was so happy. Good for a front wheel.

Weaknesses:    Not durable in the rear for me. I rode on them for a few seasons on bog land cross country trails and I messed up my rear wheel. I have broken about 6 spokes and the hub went to heck. one of the cones ended up with divots in it. I replace the axle and cones and it was still not very good. The rim also got a few flat spots in it

Bottom Line:
I hate hubs that are not sealed bearings. The shimano cones and bearings die in the rear wheel. I have no problem with this setup in the front but not in the rear.

Favorite Trail:   not telling but rocks and roots delux

Purchased At:   came with bike after one season of use before I had them

Similar Products Used:   First disc brake wheel.

Bike Setup:   GIANT AC air lite

Submitted by James Howery a Downhiller from Prescott, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2004

Strengths:    Strong enough for trail riding and light freeriding, not very heavy.

Weaknesses:    None observed.

Bottom Line:
Great rims for "all mountain" riding. Build them up in early spring this year, rode them all year long, they've held up great. These rims are pretty versatile.

Favorite Trail:   Private Reserve

Similar Products Used:   mavic 317s, 238s, mavic 321s, sun mammoths, sun rhynolites, vuelta FR...

Bike Setup:   Foes FXR.

Submitted by Racer Xman a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, OZ

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2004

Strengths:    Strength, lifetime, unbreakable

Weaknesses:    None - although the breaking surface is a little worn after 4 years... they are a little heavy, but choose 2 of light, strong, or cheap :)

Bottom Line:
I've lost some weight riding on these rims... max was 270 pounds (now 220...) 6"4 and I like to get a lot of airtime. These rims are still straight after 4 years of constant riding... I just replaced the rear wheel as the hub was fubared (but I did notice that the rim's breaking surface was rather thin... oops). But it was still straight. I've crashed them a bunch of times (including some crashes that resulted in ER visits, and I know my orthopaedic on a first name basis :) ).

But the wheels are still straight.

They are heavy (the racer X is an excellent frame, and they don't help get it to the weight it could be). But they are still straight.

And... they have _never_ _ever_ been maintained. Never Taco'd. Never needed straightening.

I've been on bikes for 15 years. I've needed to reaplace rims, and had them trued before. These are seriously strong.

And straight.

What more could you want. 0 riding days lost in 4 years...

Favorite Trail:   Oxford Falls/Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Lots of tacos... who can remember the part numbers

Bike Setup:   RacerX, XT build, F519 rims

Submitted by rich lowery a Weekend Warrior from omaha, ne

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2004

Strengths:    Strong enough for clydesdale XC, all mountain.

Weaknesses:    Not impervious, only as good as the builder.

Bottom Line:
I found these to be sturdier than Rhyno Lites (I found the rynhos to be susceptible to flat spots where the valve stem penetrates the rim) and anyway these feel a lot lighter. Because these are narrower rims they do create a different contact patch with the same tire. The wider rims put more rubber on the ground (more resistance). These seem to have provide better cornering with less rolling resistance (faster is better) using the same tires. With a good hi volume tire this rim rocks. My weight varies 200-220 depending on the amount of free time I have. I am not abusive, but I am historically hard on parts. These are good solid rims for solid riders.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River

Similar Products Used:   Ryno lites, Bontrager Mustangs, etc.

Bike Setup:   Jekyll, Black Super Air, 2.3 Vertical Pro's, Hope Hubs 519 rims.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Godalming UK

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Strengths:    These look real nice being black with black spokes, solid as made with LX hubs. nice weight for something so strong.

Weaknesses:    Got to have good rim tape as spoke holes in the second U pinch the tube.

Bottom Line:
these are a great buy, got mine hand built and have done 2000miles on them and have yet to get then tured again.

I weigh 260lbs, have hit a few kerbs and rocks and know i have bottomed out the rim but no damage yet.
Can't find a real problem apart from getting a pinched tube in the secondary holes now and then.

Favorite Trail:   anything vertical

Purchased At:   merlincycles.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   what ever came on my mule

Bike Setup:   01 GT with 03 phsylo SL rockshox, full lx comps, trulative XR chainset

Submitted by Gabe Padilla a Cross Country Rider from Santa Clara, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    Very strong, fairly light, can be used for either disc or rim brake applications

Weaknesses:    A little heavy for weight weenie applications. Not the coolest looking rim out there. It looks fairly generic.

Bottom Line:
These are great rims. My C'dale Jekyll came with these super light x317 rims that felt amazing...that is, until they were completely destroyed from riding in the American river canyon around Auburn, Ca. The rocky terrain did not agree with them. On the recommendation of an acquaintance I gave up the 60g per wheel and went with the F519. This is an extremely strong rim for cross country use. I built up two sets of these with 14g unbutted spokes and have never had to true them. I swear by these rims. When I saw them onsale at PricePoint for $30 each I grabbed a pair for my single speed.

A lot of people say to use Rhyno Lites if you're hard on wheels but they weigh in at 565g! These are only 460g and are plenty strong enough for XC riding. However, do not even bother trying to use these for hardcore freeriding or downhilling. That would just be stupid, they aren't strong enough for that. These are for people who are hard on XC rims and want a little added strength. Also, make sure you get a hand built wheel, you won't be sorry. A lot of times when people think they have weak rims or spokes it actually turns out that they just got a bad wheel build. Spend the extra $$$, it is always worth it.

Favorite Trail:   still looking

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Sun Rhyno Lite, Mavic x317 Disc. Neither are really comparable.

Bike Setup:   I ran these on my C'dale Jekyll 3000, Intense Tracer, and now I have a pair waiting to be built up for my single speed.

Submitted by Mike from PA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Strengths:    Good strength to weight ratio, along with a nice width that makes for a great trail wheel setup. Though I've only been on these rims 3 months I've put them through the gauntlet and they've come out shining.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Great rim for hard trail riding and light FR. Maybe a bit overkill for pure XC and too light for hard FR but great for anything in between.

Similar Products Used:   Mavics: 517, F219, D321, 317.

Bike Setup:   03 Bullit with 2 setups. I use the 519s on the lighter, trail bike/light FR setup with the Z1 up front and a Vert/Survival on the rims.

Submitted by Mike Werner a Racer from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Strengths:    Stayed true

Weaknesses:    Braking surface pits and is rough with flakes of metal that comes off.
Sidewall buldged on rear in one spot with normal city commuting

Bottom Line:
I am replacing these because the sidewall buldged, and the breaking surface seems to be peeling/flaking.
They are still true, however.

Bike Setup:   Cheap commuter - heavy in the rear with gear.

Submitted by Rob P a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2004

Strengths:    I weigh 215 lbs. and ride on some tough terrain and hit the downhills hard and these rims never go out of true. If you are a heavier rider and have problems with your wheels going out of true, this is your problem solver, also i have them built with DT 14/15 gauge spokes.

Bottom Line:
The best rims for the heavier rider who does not mind the little extra weight.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic/National

Submitted by Rob T a Cross Country Rider from San Jose CA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2004

Strengths:    Mavic makes the best rims.These are stout yet fairly light .They build up perfectly straight and tensioned provided you or your builder knows what he's doing!

Weaknesses:    Mavic didn't make a heavy duty XC rim when I bought these.They made only the 219 and that was too heavy for my use.

Bottom Line:
These rims are beefy!I use Stan's system and run about 28- 35 lbs. pressure and 2.3s.I ride in rocky and wooded technical terrain as much as possible.I manage to completely compress the tires and get rim contact with obstacles on a pretty regular basis.Beside a few dings and scratches this rims have held up fine.I haven't had to true them yet.I do a lot of technical,long distance endurance rides.I demand high reliability out of my equipment.Where I ride there is no opportunities for shortcuts back or getting a buddy to pick you up.If we break down,we could be in for a 20 mile walk.These rims are a little heavier,(60 whole grams!!)but more durable than any XC rim I've used to date.I think the most important thing with wheels is that they are built by a competent wheelbuilder who enjoys doing it,not some highschool yahoo who's just there to earn enough money for his next date.I can build strong wheels using inexpensive components.Just because you get all the top end stuff won't necessarily guarantee you a great set of wheels that last.

Favorite Trail:   any<3ft. wide and or rocky ,rooted and rutted

Purchased At:   Trailhead Bikes

Similar Products Used:   317(narrow,dents easy),519,217,117,MA40,Open,Sun and Bontrager Mustangs(nice rims at a nice price)

Bike Setup:   Turner,CK Iso hubs,DT spokes,No Tubes(Great Stuff)...I recently got a Park tensionometer.These are great if you want to build strong,perfect wheels.

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2003

Strengths:    lightweight for what you get. very strong. good finish. very nice brake track. welded rims are much stronger than pinned rims. never have to true them.

Weaknesses:    a little on the pricey side.

Bottom Line:
the rims are sweet. only ever busted one -split it in two pieces. i can't complain about breaking one rim, in the same crash i did $11,000 in damage to my face. i use disc brakes with these rims. anyone using v-brakes should love this rim over a rhynolite (the mavic won't have brake shudder from the rim seam.) as far as people having stress fractures... those little white spots you see on your silver rim around the eyelets are from the eyelets being installed in the rim. get the rim in black and you never see those. if your rim really is being 'fractured' get a new wheel builder and ask if he/she uses a tensiometer when building. too high of tension can pull the eyelet throught the rim. i'm the service manager at Buck's Bikes in Austin. every wheel I build is measured with a tensiometer.

Favorite Trail:   street