Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic F219 Disc Rim

4.5/5 (26 Reviews)
Weight : 570 grams

wide profile Maxtal rim, eyeleted. Efficient braking due to the UB Control.

Drilling : 32, 36

Submitted by cobym2 a Cross Country Rider from San Juan, Philippines

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, reliable, cheap

Weaknesses:    For the weight weenie, the weight.
For the downhiller or freerider, its not strong enough.
For the all mountain, aggressive trail rider, none.

Bottom Line:
I bought these used from the net, looking for a cheap, reasonably wide rim for use on my all mountain rig, intending to ride the hell out of them and replace after a season. That was several years ago. maybe 2006. I've since thrashed them on all kinds of trails, some jumping, some downhill runs and general use. I've pinch flatted countless of times after slamming off rocks at high speed. No complaints from the rim. They've stayed true and round so far. I've only had to tighten some spokes once. I'm itching to change them already because they're so scuffed and scratched and the decals are faded and half gone. But they still roll. Maybe I'm not riding them hard enough.

For the downhiller and freerider, they will need a rim suited for their purposes.
However, this rim is perfect for the trail rider and all mountain rider, for whom a slightly wider footprint and greater strength are more important than weight.

Favorite Trail:   Tower 1, Mahogany, Lola's, etc.

Purchased At:   from a rider

Similar Products Used:   Sun Singletrack, Mavic 729, DT 5.1,

Bike Setup:   Heckler and Turner RFX. Laced to Hope Pro2 hubs with DT comps.

Submitted by Dennis a Downhiller from Heerjansdam Netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    looks bomber..

Weaknesses:    I wrecked them after i owned them 2 weeks

Bottom Line:
They are not that strong as every one says. i wrecked them, whit some easy freeriding make 180's not even very big..

Bike Setup:   Poison frame DNM susp And DNM usd 180mm fork hayes discs

Submitted by Steven kilburn a Cross Country Rider from Old Town, Me

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2006

Strengths:    Bombproof. Period

Weaknesses:    Weight...but bombproof!!!

Bottom Line:
Great rims.

Favorite Trail:   Spider Loop, Okinawa, Japan

Purchased At:   Universal

Similar Products Used:   Lots of rims...none as strong

Bike Setup:   Heckler, XT, yaddy yadda

Submitted by Joe from Ft. Hood, TX

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Strengths:    built like a tank (strength)

Weaknesses:    built like a tank (weight)

Bottom Line:
I've been thrashing these rims for over three years now in Georgia, Arizona, South Korea and now central Texas and I am still happy with them. My weight goes from 200 to 210 LBS depending on how much I am riding and the rims work fine. If you are a heavyset guy or are just hard on your wheels, pick up a pair, you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Bull MTN, Dahlonega, GA

Purchased At:   some Atlanta bike shop

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V, Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by Paul a Downhiller from London

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2005

Strengths:    Stayed true despite my lack of finesse, light weight (for the riding I do)

Bottom Line:
I weigh 210lbs and have hammered these and there are no flat spots and they are still true. I have hit anything up to 12foot vert drops to racing through rock gardens with no problems.

They are 36 hole laced to Hope Bulbs in a custome build from a good wheel builder which helps a lot. But given my weight, that they are supposed to be freeride rims and I mostly ride DH, I'd recommend them to anyone

Favorite Trail:   West Side in Williams Lake

Purchased At:   Merlin

Similar Products Used:   1st freeride/dh rim but used x519s XC for years

Bike Setup:   SC Bullit, Shiver DCs, Diablous Xtypes etc etc etc

Submitted by Lars from AZ

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2004

Strengths:    It's till straight!

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I ride hard and fast almost every day on almost nothing but rock. I crash. I slam into things violently. I weigh only 165lbs, but this rim (front only) has withstood my abuse in very wheel-unfriendly terrain. For the price??? Great deal!!! Would love to have 321's, but could not afford @ the time.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   other Mavic's, WTB

Submitted by Dan Toorgeman a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    strong, wide and stiff rims, still beautifully 100% true after 1500 km of mixed xc and trail rides.

Weaknesses:    very hard to remove tyre, i keep breaking and bending tools that are made for the job...gives me sore thumbs

Bottom Line:
good for xc and light trail riding, did 2-3 foot drops with them no problem (my weight is 88 kg)
the rims are so true that when spun, they appear not to move sideways at all. i reccomend them for up to 100 kg riders that likes to go a bit aggressive on the trail but not for free ride or DH.

Similar Products Used:   rigida

Submitted by David EVANS a Downhiller from Wenatchee, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    HELD UP WELL FOR ABOUT ONE YEAR. NOT TOO WIDE, NOT TO NARROW.

Weaknesses:    IT AIN'T TRUE ANYMORE. I GUESS I CAN EXPECT THAT OF ANY RIM, BUT THEY MAKE ME SKETCHY. NOBODY'S EVER HEARD OF THEM.

Bottom Line:
THEY DID THERE JOB FOR A YEAR, NOW IT IS TIME TO REPLACE THEM WITH SOME DEEMAX. I GUESS I CAN'T SAY THEY ARE BAD AT ALL. FOR THE MONEY, HEY WHY NOT. I RODE THE HELL OUT OF THEM FOR OVER A YEAR BEFORE THEY EVEN CAME OUT OF TRUE. I AM THE KIND OF GUY WHO WHERE'S ALL THE COOL CLOTHES ON THE GOLF COURSE AND CAN'T HIT THE BALL, I WOULD LOVE SOME SINERGY DH FOR OVER A 1K. BUT THESE DID THE JOB.

Favorite Trail:   RIBBED FOR PLEASURE/STRANGER/THREE AMIGOS SHOOT/ALL TRAILS WITH DIRT AND SOME NSHORE STYLE CRAP

Similar Products Used:   SUN RINGLE', MAVIC DEEMAX

Bike Setup:   C'DALE GEMINI 900, RACE FACE STEM,BARS, FSA BASHGAURD, SUN RINGLE ZU ZU'S, SHERMAN BREAKOUT 152, OURY LOCK ONS, THOMSON SEATPOST, MICHELIN 2.5'S W/MAXXIS DH TUBES, AND ONE NUT CASE JOCKEY

Submitted by Slog Monster a Downhiller from Spokane, WA USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    handles abuse, good for poor riders like me. Who comute "the long way" and need a rim that will last.

Weaknesses:    I still pop spokes like crazy but I ride rough and I usually just replace the busted ones and not do a full re-build.

Bottom Line:
I'm gonna get another set! I would recommend them to pretty much any rider who spends a lot of time on the trail and in the air.

Favorite Trail:   Beacon Bomber

Purchased At:   came on a used bike from canada

Similar Products Used:   ? old school mavic XC rims & Mustangs.

Bike Setup:   Stinky Dee-Lux

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from northwest

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, stays true, worth every penny.

Weaknesses:    none, some people complain that it is too heavy, but it has not made any affect on my ride to the top.

Bottom Line:
Great rim! I am 6'4" 250 pounds and it has taken some abuse. Stays true I would never go back after going to this rim. Looks trick with black hub and spokes. Look into this rim if you need a quality replacement!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   zac 19: came with bike

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi z2 BAM, truevative team sylo crank,raleigh m80 frame, raceface low riser, avid mech. disc

Submitted by Ryan R a Cross Country Rider from Long Island N.Y.

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2003

Strengths:    Stiffness of the rim for aggresive XC they are much better than my 223's, Width of the rim make for more stabilty when carving turns, The sheer strength of these rims are impresive enough to make anyone want a set.

Weaknesses:    Weight penalty is high compared to and XC rim but for strength I'll give up on the weight game for these. Tire removal is hell, I now have to use two tire levers when I use to only use one. This makes for trail flats a severe pain in the A$$!

Bottom Line:
These rims are great I have hit some pretty nice jumps and I have yet to true them. Today I made a little mistake on a simple bunnyhop and came right down on the back rim on a log and nothing. My 223's would have been toast if I did that, Those rims were made out of warm butter not Aluminum. These are far better on stength and stiffness I use to be able to flex my 223's so bad I would make the sideknobs rub the chainstays. I always though I killed them but they were fine. The extra width on the rim makes getting a tire off hell I have to use two tire levers and elbow grease to get my tire off especilly my Maxxis's they are a tight fit! For the only wekness I have an issue with these are still some of the best rims around combine them with some DT spokes, some Velox rim tape and a good set of hubs they are set and forget. My only problem is that I change tire frequently and now getting off a tire is a chore istead of something I could do in fifteen minutes. Oh well crappy tire removal is nothing compared to peace of mind that I'm not walking out of a trail with a dead rim. I'll take strong rims over easy tire removal any day! Best damn rim on the market for value and strength, it's hard to belive the same company who made my crappy 223's made these babies! PEACE.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt ones

Purchased At:   Jenson.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Sun Ringle, WTB

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Groggy Doggy from CT

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    Width, stiffness

Bottom Line:
Good trail bike/ freeride lite rim. Weight is reasonable and noticeably stiffer and stronger than xc rims. Great improvement in traction/control when railing fast corners, climbing and rock gardens/technical situations. I'm very happy with the performance but the weight difference is noticeable. I think its well worth it compared to the increase performance. Plus they stay true. Chicks love them too.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 223, 317 if you consider them similar

Bike Setup:   Dually with discs

Submitted by Hunny Bunny a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    Decently strong... wide... stiff...

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Nice, wide rims that aren't total porkers. I swapped my entire wheelset, including tires, with the heavier 219 but lighter tires and didn't notice a bit of difference in weight. Might have negated each other, but who knows. All I know is that my tires don't squirm and roll when turning hard. I can track straighter through rough/loose stuff. Since I'm using a different tire, I don't know if the rims do give the tires a wider stance, but i'll eventually test it out.

For the price, a good rim and not too much of a weight penalty unless you race XC or something possibly.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 223... Mavic 221.

Bike Setup:   Stuff n stuff

Submitted by Will a Downhiller from OR

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    Has survived drop after drop after drop! I was skeptical that a rim this size could survive the abuse of a 190lb freerider.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I've done probably hundreds of 5-6 foot drops, over 1000 miles of trail riding and many urban assault sessions with this rim on the back and the worst that has happened to it is a little lateral wobble. Either I'm the world's best wheel builder, or this is a great rim. As I am fond of sayingabhout the French: "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day." But a set and ride worry free.

Similar Products Used:   Every Sun rim.

Bike Setup:   Bullit

Submitted by Ryan E. a Cross Country Rider from Lyons, CO

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Strengths:    Very strong - yet light, a great disc rim for the price

Weaknesses:    They're made by our friends in France

Bottom Line:
I had these wheels built by Shawn at The Cycologist (www.thecycologist.com), who I reccomend you call next time you need some bomb proof wheels or want the ultimate custom dream bike. He's da man as they say...

Anyway, I wanted these rims for my new Switchblade so I could hammer the downhills with confidence yet still be able to climb to the top of said hill.....needless to say these rims rule. Built up with XT hubs & DT Swiss spokes. Very strong, nimble-feeling, light weight, even when compared to 317's (the difference is so minimal it just doesn't matter). Simply put, these are great disc specific rims, even if they are made by Frenchies.

Be sure to check out The Cycologist if your having some custom wheels built, you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   lots of them