Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic EX 823 Disc Rim Rim

4.31/5 (16 Reviews)

Featuring Mavics most innovativeTechnologies, such as SUP welding and Fore Drilling, EX 823 Disc isThe onlyTrue UST rim available for downhillers and freeriders. Ridden byThe mostTalented and aggressive ofThem, it has provenTo be strong enoughTo withstandThe worst abuses.Features Maxtal: ExclusiveTo Mavic. An aluminum alloyThat is 30% more resistantThan a 6106 alloy, for lighter and stronger rims. SUP: Soudé Usiné Process. After bending,The rim joint is arc welded.The welded seam i

Submitted by dev-frankenyeti a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2016

Strengths:    UST Tubeless, Overkill, No maintenance required, durable, don't need truing, don't leak, balanced, fast rolling, straight, and worry-free

Weaknesses:    valve cores aren't tight enough, valve cores bend

Bottom Line:
These wheels are totally overkill for my XC hardtail with an 80mm fork. This is the first and only wheel set that I haven't had to worry about. My previous hardtail with Bontrager rims would bend all the time just from rocky hardpack trails and hitting bumps at speed. I had to true them every few months and even had to replace one. These wheels have been on my bike since I got it about 5 and a half months ago and have gone 400 miles without any maintenance other than cleaning. My UST Continental 2.2 tires work perfect on these wheels and can run them at any pressure. When I found out that these were downhill/freeride rims, it was surprising that they were put on a cross country bike, which is completely opposite of a downhill bike. Even though I ride a hardtail, I'm not scared by large obstacles and will hit them at full speed to not loose momentum. Without suspension soaking up the bumps the wheels take a lot of the beating and stand up really well to all the abuse they get from hard riding even with a setup that weights about 30 pounds. I never have to put more air in my tires unless I want to change the pressure and never have leaks in the rims. I have these rims paired with older Shimano Deore XT spokes and hubs. When I have the bike set upside down, I can get them to roll for several minutes straight just from a single spin and resistance while pedaling is absent so I can get the bike up to the top speed that I can pedal effortlessly even a high 4:1 front(40t)-to-rear(11t) gear ratio. After an incident where extremely low tire pressure resulted in the rim bottoming out on a curb and more than 400 miles of fairly hard riding on XC to All mountain type trails, both of the rims still remain completely straight and structurally undamaged although there are some cosmetic blemished along the edges from being hit against rocks and other things throughout the years. It Surprises me how well these rims have held up as they are a model older than the one that is pictured and just have stickers with "Mavic EX 823 DISC SSC UST TUBELESS" on them which have started to peel off from being baked by the sun. They are well balanced and take any combination of tight, wide, fast, and slow corners with with a sturdy composure. If I were to recommend a set of wheels/rims to someone, I would definitely recommend these to any Cross Country, Trail, or All Mountain rider paired with Shimano or Mavic Hubs and Spokes that has a bike with quick releases and dropouts. There is almost no bend or play in the wheels and that is mostly in hard cornering even with this fairly old set of rims that are probably heavier and weaker than the current generation. This is an amazing 26" Tubeless rim if you want rims or wheels that have great value and reliability.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Carbon, Mount Falcon, Green Mountain

Duration Product Used:   350+ mile Full XC Fall season: bi-weekly practices, (5) 10-15 mile races, scrimmages, & other rides.

Purchased At:   Given to by XC team

Similar Products Used:   Quando Disk wheels, Bontrager AT550, Kenda with rim brakes

Bike Setup:   2002 Kona Caldera

Headset Chris King NoThreadSet™ Sealed Bearings
Hubs Shimano Deore XT disc
Axles Shimano Deore XT quick-release
Rims Mavic EX 823 Disc
Tires Front: Continental TrailKing 2.2 (26x2.2), Rear: Continental RaceKing 2.2 (26x2.2)
Bottle Cages Bontrager RL
Tire Pump Bontrager Air Support HV
Computer Bontrager
Cable Routing Jagwire

Submitted by JonFerris a Downhiller from Mass, US

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2011

Strengths:    Bombproof, tubeless ready, stiff, strong, etc...

Weaknesses:    Maybe the unique spoke wrench.

Bottom Line:
I felt I should do these rims a favor seeing how no one has reviewed them in some time.

I have not had any issues with these rims or wheelset. I would recommend making sure you go through every so often to check your spoke tension. For reference I weigh 180 and I have cased these onto rocks and not one single dent (I honestly cannot believe it). And they aren't even out of true.

I would absolutely recommend these to anyone looking for a diesel rim that can stand up to a lot of abuse and I would not hesitate building another wheelset with these rims.

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Easton Havocs.

Bike Setup:   Morewood Kalula with i9's laced to 823s. RS totem, Elka S5, minions etc...

Submitted by bigjp a Weekend Warrior from Cedar Hills, Utah

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff, Reasonable weight, never need truing, wide enough to give you a good tire profile, no burping, sets up tubeless nicely with UST,and non UST tires.

Weaknesses:    Screw in eyelets loosened up a lot when new, but I think this was a setup problem as I doubt the builder used loctite on them. I have had problems with he valve stem on my rear rim leaking air from time to time (I have tried replacing the valve stem, loosening it tightening it, replacing just the o rings, using some stans etc, and I still get a tiny bit of air leak around the base from time to time)

Bottom Line:
These are a great all mountain rim for a really heavy rider 245lbs. I bought these as a set of prebuilt wheels). The first month I owned them I was constantly having to tighten the eyelets as they were backing out. I got tired of them loosening during a ride so I backed them all out enough to put a drop of loctite on the threads for each eyelet (this is what the instructions say to do when building the wheel, I am guessing whoever built the wheel did not do this). Tightened them back down and trued the rim. I have not had any issues with them since, and every time I put them in my truing stand they are straight as an arrow. They are a perfect width for a 2.35 - 2.5 profile tire.

Favorite Trail:   Hazard County to Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic xm 317, really cheap alex dp17

Bike Setup:   Fezzari Nebo Peak

Submitted by P3NIS a Downhiller from Oregon Coast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, Cheaper than DeeMax

Weaknesses:    I had to have a shop lace them.

Bottom Line:
These are the same rims used in the DeeMax wheel set, just not yellow. Extremely strong and light. They're not fully drilled so very little flex. Best wheels I've ever had.

Favorite Trail:   AMIS

Purchased At:   fruit stand

Similar Products Used:   Ron Paul

Bike Setup:   Sunday, Dorado, all XT, these wheels.

Submitted by wyrm a Downhiller from Provo, UT

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Lighter???? Everyone knows the name... so you get compliments.

Weaknesses:    Too light duty, not enough strength in them...

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my bike. They were neat initially... but soon wore off. I like the tubeless feature, but it is useless if you are running tubes. The nipples need to be constantly checked. On a positive note these rims were stiff... they did not have any lateral flex. Further they took hard hits and did not buckle. But check your spokes. Note for wheel builder: these lace up with a lower spoke tension. The spokes will seem soft in comparision to other rims... DON'T over tension them... it will lead to premature eyelet failure.

Another problem I found with it was that they rims were too narrow for 2.5 or 2.7 tires. At lower pressures they would roll off the bead and burp. Jumping and hard corners you can definitely notice it. Recommended: run higher tire pressures- 40-50psi.

I would only recommend this rims if you ran it front only, and tubeless.

Purchased At:   Stock

Similar Products Used:   529, 721, 729, RynoliteXL, MTX, SingleTrack, Arrow DHX, Others....

Bike Setup:   IH 7.7 and Tranny BR

Submitted by jrjess a Downhiller from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Strengths:    Light Weight when run with tubeless tires and its bomb proof

Weaknesses:    Maybe could be a little more down in the weight category, but the guy at Mavic would have done it if they could anyway

Bottom Line:
You cant go wrong with these rims and they are really a fit and forget kind of component. Have been blasting through and down rock gardens, drops, and hitting square bumps directly without any flex or signs of buckling. The weight was on the heavy side when i was using tubes but now since on tubeless, its a joy to pedal up occasionally. Would recommend these rims for a custom build wheelset and anyway its the same rims as the Deemax except for the hubs and spokes of course. But in the long run, you are saving more with building up your own rims.

Favorite Trail:   Penang Hill

Purchased At:   Chin Aik Bicycle Sho

Similar Products Used:   Alexis FR Rims and DT FR rims

Bike Setup:   Mavic 823 UST with Hope Pro 2 Hubs, DT Swiss Spokes and Maxxis DH Minions

Submitted by Brandon a Weekend Warrior from Delaware, OH

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Strengths:    Strength, UST

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
The rim is strong and true. I have abused them heavily in the past 40 miles and I have had no worries or concerns. Combined with a good UST tire and you have a winning combination.

More grip and more strength. Its hard to ask much more from a rim.

I run mostly singletrack with rock gardens and they are mounted on Shimano XT disc hubs. This is a great upgrade rim.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hope/Mohican

Purchased At:   Rocky Mountain Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stock

Bike Setup:   07 Rockhopper

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Strengths:    Holds air well, lightweight

Weaknesses:    Fell apart after 6 days of downhilling. Dented easily.

Bottom Line:
Piece of junk! Dented several times and ultimately cracked in the span of 6 days. Waste of money!

Purchased At:   bike forum

Similar Products Used:   Sun Double Track

Bike Setup:   Cove Peeler DH

Submitted by Rich Steels a Downhiller from Derby

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    Very light, Very Strong, Tubless, Black!!

Weaknesses:    Not as strong as others!

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic rim. Strong and light. Being lighter doesn't just make it easier to lift your bike in to the van but reduces the rolling mass and thus making it a hell of a lot easier to acellerate out of the corners allowing you to reserve more energy and in turn making you faster. If you've been running ex729s or AtomLabs then you'll certainly notice the benefits of lighter wheels. Most cross country riders could easily get away with these rims. I've had no problem with these rims yet. I've only buckled one but that was my fault from riding too hard with too little pressure in the tyre. Apart from that combined with some sapim CX-Rays and a good wheel build these rims will set you appart from the competion.

King Awesome

Favorite Trail:   Chevin Gorge

Purchased At:   leisure-lakes

Similar Products Used:   Atom lab trail pimp, Mavic 321, Sun Rhyno lites singletracks, velocity aero v's etc

Bike Setup:   Canfeild Brothers Formula 1, Fox 40RC2s, DHX 5.0, King, Hadley etc

Submitted by Lars a Downhiller from AZ

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Strengths:    Not REALLY a ture DH'er, but more a rough, wreckless, AM/FR/DH'er who pounds on super rocky terrain.

1) These rims are stay true in adverse conditions - very STRONG.

2) Track GREAT! Pairs nicely w/ 20mm TA fork/hub! SOLID combo!

3) They HOLD AIR. Been running non-UST tires WITHOUT the rim strip for 6 months!!! For reference, I did 9,000ft of rocky a$$ descent in last three days alone.

Weaknesses:    Spendy??? Nah, you get what you pay for!

Bottom Line:
Great rims for those who appreciate SOLID tracking, desire the benefits of UST, and don't want to d1ck with trueing wheels.

Purchased At:   screaming wholesale deal!

Similar Products Used:   lots 'o mavic, Ringle Singletrack, WTB (I HATE WTB as a company - beware the a$$hole warranty dept!!! Worst treatment ever recieved in my life from ANY business!!!)

Bike Setup:   6x6 35lb'ish, '05 Z1FR and stuff. Rims laced to DT Swiss Hugi FR hubs - GREAT hubs!

Submitted by Chrisco a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Strengths:    Awsome strength to weight. Wide cross section for tyre stability. Good tubeless system that just works. Welded joint.

Weaknesses:    Black anodising is not as bulletproof as Mavic's CD finish.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as part of my "masterplan" to build a really tough all mountian bike that wasn't too heavy but handled really well. (No money left to eat though).
Going from the stock Mavic 317 rims to these added a bit of weight but transformed the ride, not to mention the extra confidence I got to go off much bigger stuff.
I run normal tyres without tubes. If you look around you can find cheap liquid latex to seal them. (Stan's "No tubes" costs stupid money where I live). It's cheap to maintain and ultra-relliable.
I'm riding rock gardens, drops and urban. After ripping 2 holes though a tyre from a bad sideways landing, I expected the wheel to be Taco'd. I've never had to true them. I'm impressed. Some credit also has to go to the brilliant Hope Bulb hubs.
These rims are great. I can see why that Greg bloke has them on that Honda thing!

Favorite Trail:   Road to nowhere

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Sun Rhyno Lites, Mavic 521, Mavic 317, WTB Lazer Beam (Dangerous)

Bike Setup:   Specialized '03 S-Works Enduro. 2 ring/bashguard. Fox Talas with Stratos ID cartridge. Fox RP3 shock. Mavic EX 823 rims/Hope Bulb hubs.

Submitted by kyle a Racer from pleasanton,california

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Strengths:    strong motha f**ers, i ride a hradt tail and i do anything my friends fullys do, and with these rims and now i can do all and more with mucho confidence now that i got these rims

Weaknesses:    lil bit heavy but thats only cus i ride a dj hardtail and i watch my bike weight....just go work out its good for u anyways u fatties

Bottom Line:
bottom line is go out and get these rims! w/e that one guy said about going through 4 of them in one race is a crack head...no offense dude but theres no way. anyways go get em u'll love em!

Favorite Trail:   sand hill ranch

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   nothing at all

Bike Setup:   04' norco sasquatch with z1 freeride

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from Mission Viejo

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2004

Strengths:    Look good, they're UST tubeless compatible, and they're pretty wide.

Weaknesses:    Weight (if you care).

Bottom Line:
I ride a cross country frame and definitely don't need these rims. I chose them just because they look cool and they're good and wide for 2.4 inch WTBs. I ride stairs and stuff but 517s held up just fine. The biggest difference with these rims for me is that they're more stable, being wider and stiffer than my cross country rims. I also like that they are so much heavier for the added stability at speed. 5 flaming chilis.

Purchased At:   Supergo