Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic EX 729 Disc Rim Rim

4.86/5 (49 Reviews)

Its double eyelet and SUP welded joint provides itThe necessary strengthTo withstandThe most aggressive use. 36 mm wide, it allowsThe most demanding ridersTo rideThe largestTire onThe market.FEATURES Maxtal: ExclusiveTo Mavic. An aluminum alloyThat is 30% more resistantThan a 6106 alloy, for lighter and stronger rims. SUP: Soudé Usiné Process. After bending,The rim joint is arc welded.The welded seam isThen milled for a smooth finish. A welded and milled rim joint is extremely strong, eliminates

Submitted by Woodcutter a Weekend Warrior from lincolnshire, UK

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2011

Strengths:    Seriously strong, look good, not the heaviest rim around, build quality.

Weaknesses:    Heavy if your after a xc rim but who cares!

Bottom Line:
These rims are seriously strong. Last week my bike fell off my mates roof rack at 60mph, the bike bounced down the road several times and I was expecting the whole thing to be a write off, luckily it wasn't. The wheels hit the ground with enough force to tear through the tyre and tube sidewall but the rim was only slightly dinged. It has true'd up perfectly.

If a rim can take an impact like that then it can handle almost anything a trail can throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Forest red/black

Similar Products Used:   Mavic deemax, easton havoc

Bike Setup:   2007 Whyte 46, 2010 Fox 36 talas RC2, full M970 XTR, hope M4, rockshox reverb 2012, Mavic 729 on hope pro2 EVO. Nobby nics.

Submitted by Adam a Downhiller from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2010

Strengths:    tight like a tiger. stiff and true. great for park riding,with no worries

Weaknesses:    bent one side on a rock, but the highroller stayed on...dont know how.

Bottom Line:
great rim,poor rider. availible anywhere. worth the money

Favorite Trail:   pipe dream

Similar Products Used:   cheap crap not worth mentioning

Bike Setup:   06 stinky d, 2010 boxxer team,race face

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from St. Cloud, MN

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2010

Strengths:    Very strong, looks good, can handle anything I've thrown at them so far.

Weaknesses:    Mine make this aweful rattling noise. There's a little piece of metal stuck between the two layers of the rim from manufacturing, and it won't come out. It makes the wheels sound like crap and like they are falling apart. Maybe a little heavy, but that doesn't matter much to me.

Bottom Line:
I love my new bike, but these rims make my $1200 bike sound like a $79 bike. If you are like me, you have to have your bike tuned perfectly and any odd sounds need to be elimitated. When I ride a bumpy section of trail, these rims drive me crazy. I used to worry something was falling off my bike, but no, it's just the junk inside my rims.

If these things were silent they would be 5's across the board, but this noise has to knock a chili off for me.

Similar Products Used:   Other inferior rims that can't hold a candle to the strength of these.

Bike Setup:   Stock Sette Flite

Submitted by kroniktap09 a Downhiller from new york city

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    frikkin' beast. impossible to warp or break

Weaknesses:    weight, if you care

Bottom Line:
these will not break. if anything, the spokes will go first, which mine did and need replacement, but if you have a flat you wont even notice when you get to the bottom of a rock garden. these rims are highly recommended, and cant be beat for quality and strength.

Favorite Trail:   jimmys mom

Purchased At:   jenson cycles

Similar Products Used:   sunrims 07

Bike Setup:   maxxis dominion

Submitted by Blunt a Downhiller from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap as chips, harder than a soviet's hammer, no fancy design, it's really light for it's price range and applications.

Weaknesses:    Weight and blandness of the design (I know some of you guys prefer crossmax design/pattern but i prefer 729 minimalist approach).

Bottom Line:
It's cheap, performs as good if not better than rims 4-5 times it's price and seriously outstanding value for money.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em

Similar Products Used:   various dt swiss wheels, cheap alex rims and really expensive mavic SLR.

Bike Setup:   Currently using ex729 on ringle jumping flea hubs with dt swiss spokes. Kenda Nevegal tires 2.6 on front and 2.3 for rear.

Submitted by caciara a Weekend Warrior from roma, italy

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2009

Strengths:    after 3 years no problem. like new

Bottom Line:
it's rock

Bike Setup:   mongoose black diamond triple

Submitted by Vikingbiker a Cross Country Rider from Brunswick, GA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, true, no pinch flats

Weaknesses:    None, because they stay true. Light and tacoed, mean no riding!!!!!

Bottom Line:
If you want a wheel you never have to true again, get these rims. Lace them to your hub of choice, and use DT ProLock nipples, and NEVER worry again about your wheels stopping you from riding.

Favorite Trail:   Mouse Branch

Purchased At:   Open Road

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 517s

Bike Setup:   5-Spot

Submitted by bikemuscle a Downhiller from Los Alamitos, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    stays true and I never get pinch flats
my spokes stay tight
Light for a DH rim.

Bottom Line:
I weigh 230lbs on I beat the hell out of these rims. I have cased a lot of jumps and I have hucked to a flat landing many times and they stay true. I also do a lot of DH at Mammoth mtn and I have also taken these to Whistler and Northstar. This rim is truly sick, it would take a lot to destroy these. If you want a fast, strong, setup get these with the DT440 hubs and Kenda Nevegal 2.7 huge tire in the front and a 2.5 in the rear. Nevegals run very large compared to other tires and they also roll really fast. I have a lot of friends and they are pinch flatting all the time. Some of them have switched their rims and went from getting them on every ride to just once in a while. I havent pinch flatted yet with my setup. This rim should be the standard on all DH and freeride bikes. Oh my bike tends to pull ahead of everyone else without me even pedaling, but maybe its just my weight, either way I love my wheel set.

Favorite Trail:   A Line in Whistler

Purchased At:   the path

Bike Setup:   2008 V10

Submitted by cooldudethatate a Downhiller from Port Coquitlam,BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2008

Strengths:    Impossible to bend.You soudlnt even try to bend it.

Bottom Line:
Best rims ever if you want to get rims get these .

Favorite Trail:   4 lost souls and the dentist.

Purchased At:   Used for 1 year

Bike Setup:   Shore 2,totems,Mavic 729,Codes,

Submitted by ctd07 a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2008

Strengths:    Tuff, able to withstand casing a 20ft double twice with only a slight buckle, which was fixable.

Weaknesses:    heavy, if you're going to use them for xc riding:)

Bottom Line:
These do add considerable weight to your bike compared to all mountain rims such as Sun Singletracks, but in terms of stiffness and strength, they are probably the lightest of their kind (available aftermarket rims).
There are definately lighter rims available for DH racing or lighter/smoother riders, but at least these are the last rims you'll need to buy for a good few years.

Buy these if you don't mind having fairly heavy wheels in exchange for all out stoutness - if you plan to ride with carelessness and neglect for your components, these are the ticket!

Favorite Trail:   Anything steep

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles/

Similar Products Used:   Bombshell Fat Daddy, Sun Singletrack

Bike Setup:   Patriot Lt, Fox Van RC, Domain 318's, Hayes Brakes

Submitted by Brent a Downhiller from Ice Station Kilo, Scotland

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2008

Strengths:    Absolutely unbreakable
Round as the day they went on

Weaknesses:    None, unless you hate France

Bottom Line:
I am a Mavic convert. A little story: riding hard at Kicking Horse, I screwed my line up big-style, lofted off the trail and landed from about 20 ft in the air onto very sharp, big, angular alpine rocks. While I absolutely toasted the tubes and bounced waaay off the bike, the rims were not even a tiny bit out of true. Unreal. Had it not been for these rims and my Rockgardn Flak Jacket (brilliant armour, go buy one), I'd be writing this from a hospital bed instead of slouched in my living room. I would have children with these rims if it wasn't so very, very wrong. Worth every cent.

Favorite Trail:   Angry Pirate-Crabapple Hits- A-Line

Purchased At:   Dodge City Cycles - great guys

Similar Products Used:   Lighter Mavic stuff, whatever junk came on it from the store

Bike Setup:   SC Bullit, 888R, 5th L, Maxxis rubber, bling saddle from .243

Submitted by James a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2007

Strengths:    Very strong, very wide so no flats, looks, durability

Weaknesses:    Heavy - but what do you expect for a amazing rim?

Bottom Line:
Very good rim, Ive used it for street - like riding down steps and jumps them and has been fine. I have also used it for down hill and has been fine. I dont think about 'is my rim buckled' ever because I trust is so much. I have used 2.3 tires with these which is the minimum width I think and have never had a puncture. The stickers with the product name stay on and look good but simple.
I would buy these again for the kind of riding I do but wouldn't if you do cross country ect as too heavy.

Similar Products Used:   Just stock rims

Bike Setup:   Custom

Submitted by Stuart a Downhiller from Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    This rim has surprised me from day one with its strength, durability and lack of maintenance. Its also uber light compared to what I used to run (doublewides).

Weaknesses:    Its quite a bit heavier than some of the newer comparable rims, but I'm not much of a gram counter.

Bottom Line:
I bought this wheel 2 and a half years ago pre-built from my local shop and since then I've never had to tighten a spoke and they're still PERFECTLY true. They're a little lighter than my doubletrack which has also served me well. I ride twice a week on some pretty gnarly terrain with a few hucks, and this rim has taken it and asked for more. Sure, they're a bit pricey but nothing compares to having a wheel you trust 100%. Now I just worry about my tubes.

p.s. In the time I've owned this rim, I've NEVER pinched a front tube.

Favorite Trail:   Freight Train