Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic EX 721 Rim

4.41/5 (27 Reviews)

EX 721 provides downhillersThe strength and agilityThey need. Rewarded by many victories inThe most hotly contested races,This rim isThe one you needTo be fast onThe down side ofThe mountain.FEATURES MaxtalSUPTechnologyTraditional drillingUB ControlSingle eyeletClincher ETRTO compatible size: 559 x 21RecommendedTyre widths: 2.30To 3.00Valve hole diameter: 8.5 mmRecommended nipple length: 12 mmRecommended rimTape: 559 x 23 x 0.6

Submitted by Steven a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2012

Strengths:    looks, durability, price, overall weight

Weaknesses:    decals mar easily

Bottom Line:
Overall a great rim. I got my set on XT hubs, but switched them out for SLX.. far more durable and sexier sounding.. anyhow, I got these when I had first decided I wanted to try drops and step downs over 6 feet... they have taken a few terrible landings and retained there trueness. I am 6'2, 190 lbs and about 215 with gear and bookbag, I ride 140mm of travel front and rear... these are good, no... GREAT rims, and I am sorry to hear that those writing bad reviews had lemons. lol.

Favorite Trail:   salamander

Duration Product Used:   2 riding seasons

Similar Products Used:   Mavic EX729, Sun MTX33, Sun S-type,

Bike Setup:   Kona Coiler frame, SLX drivetrain & Brakes, Raceface Respond DH Bar and Stem, Raceface Evolve DH crankset w/X-type bb, SektorRL 140mm solo air fork, monarch 4.2 rear shock, Mavic EX721 rims on SLX hubs.

Submitted by Žan

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Strengths:    it fited to my 36 funn bullet rear hub

Weaknesses:    killed it in 3 weeks

Bottom Line:
evry one who i asked said go for that rim, eavn the reviews here got me into it, after 3weeks i was highly dissapointed, after a ride i saw its side had a 5cm long bent part, i gave it to an old serviser which is best far around here and still when he fixed it, it broke , i expected way more from it...its not that i dont know how to ride or that im a hard rider, i ride smooth and big stuff, just using my bike for what its made, i dont say it aint a good rim but it surly aint bobm proof

cheerz

Submitted by Daemongrad a Weekend Warrior from Brockville, ON. Canada

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    Super light, Stiff, Easy on the eyes, (said to be)indestructable.

Weaknesses:    Stickers muck up easy, tires hard to change, but oh well... no problems with rim at all.

Bottom Line:
Super sick rims. Real pretty, real strength, real value!

Favorite Trail:   B & D/ Nortel

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Alex DP 20, S-Type, MTX33

Bike Setup:   Ibex Ignition (frame build up), Deore LX/XT drivetrain, Avid levers, Axiom 70mm stem, TLD/ODI lock-on grip, tektro mechanical brakes, EX721 rims on XT hubs, centrelock LX rotors, tioga factory DH front tire, Zmax rear, Cane Creek headset, 2011 Rockshox Sektor RL 140mm Solo air, upgraded bushings/bearings(Frameset)

Submitted by eshew a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2010

Strengths:    These rims are set & forget! I've ridden these @ Whistler off the clown shoes drop & many others up there. Literally my favorite rims. Will buy them as long as they are produced. Going on (scary thought) 7 years. I've had to have these rims trued technically 1 time. 2 other times I had to have a new rear hub installed from breaking axles. Never has this rim let me down.

Weaknesses:    Makes other rims look pretty lame. Ceramic coating looks so good that the raw aluminum ones look pretty bland (but still kick buttt).

Bottom Line:
On my 2002 Stinky (w/ BETD 7"-8" plates & an Avalanche DHS)I've been riding on the 521's. On my Bear I have a 521 in the back and 721 in the front, both ceramic. These are literally the same rim. Identical in every way.

These rims are one of the best deals around. Yes they are rim brake compatable, yes they maybe very inexpensive (for non cd or non ceramic coating), yes they may crack if you or your wheel builder dont know how to properly tension spokes. BUT these things last a long time. If you ride hard and dont want to worry about rims these are for you. If you are HC crazy DH then the will last longer then they should with proper checkups. Just make sure they are built correctly and you'll fall in love!

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith, Whistler

Purchased At:   Dropnzone.com

Similar Products Used:   Too long ago to remember... Mavic D521 or EX521 same rim as the 721 just older name.

Bike Setup:   2002 Kona stinky, 2002 Kona Bear(rip) Rims/wheels moved over to 2008 Dawg frame, still looking awesome!

Submitted by speedy_gonzales a Downhiller from Cheshire, UK

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    Built on Hope Pro II's, light and strong rim that comes highly recommended by a lot of riders.

I've given them a good beating for a few months now and theyve not gone out of true, though Ive kept on top of them maintenance wise. Gave them a couple of flat spots after a weeks riding in the Alps, but they should straighten up no probs...

Weaknesses:    None I can think of..

Bottom Line:
Top rim, tried and tested, awesome when paired with a well proven hub and spokes..

Favorite Trail:   Pila WC Downhill Course, Italy

Similar Products Used:   Alex BH Supra,

Bike Setup:   White Sunday Factory Frame, White 2009 Fox 40 RC2, Fox DHX 5.0, Saint drivetrain and shifting, white EX721 on gold Hope Pro II, Maxxis minnion and high roller combo, direct mount sunline stem, Avid Code 4 Brakes...

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Como, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2009

Strengths:    STRONG. Can build up a nice tight strong wheel with near DH strength but not the weight

Weaknesses:    None. Some may say weight. These are not at weight weenie wheel

Bottom Line:
Great all purpose wheel for a clyde like me. Ride thes day to day and race on 819s

Favorite Trail:   Reactor, Menai

Similar Products Used:   Ditchwitch, Rhynolite, Dice Duke

Bike Setup:   Trance X
SRAM X9
EX721 with Hope hubs.

Submitted by Matty a Weekend Warrior from london

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2009

Strengths:    Super strong rims with looks to match. I ride dj so mine have taken some serious beats. Iv had to get mine trued once coz some spokes started working loose. Iv had one or two flat spots but they fix easily

Bottom Line:
Get these rims if youve got the cash. You wont regret it

Bike Setup:   SC Jackal

Submitted by Slydee a Weekend Warrior from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2008

Strengths:    Decent strength for the money.

Weaknesses:    Made a dent after a few days of riding.

Bottom Line:
I was quite surprised to see a dent on it after a few days of riding, but it was repaired and it runs like new for a month or two now..

Similar Products Used:   rhyno lite

Submitted by Rob Esquire a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2008

Strengths:    Strong as hell.
Looks awesome in black.

Weaknesses:    None I can tell.

Bottom Line:
I had a pair of 521's for years. Built them myself on a hope bulb front and LX rear, 36 spoke. Batter the hell out of them whilst jumping, street riding, drop offs and downhill. Only even manage to put them a bit out of true with dodgy landings and big crashes, but if I didn't tun rims I never would have noticed. It took a huge crash where I snapped the arch, bent the stantions and basically completely trached my X-vert forks to write off the rim.
I replaced the rim and still use the same rear, but I built a new bike and got the 721's, which are identical other than the colour and the logo (which looks even better!). Buy them, abuse them, love them, and for god's sake clean them so people can envy you.

Favorite Trail:   Forest Of Dean

Purchased At:   chainreactions

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 521's
Mavic 221's

Bike Setup:   Azonic Steelhead 07, Dirt Jumper 1, Azonic Bars and Stem, DMR 3 peice Crom-Mo crankset.

Submitted by dave wood a Downhiller from ellesmere port

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Strengths:    looks, strong for the PRICE, feel extreemly wel built

Weaknesses:    there are none to be said about these rims other than the person who builds them.... (make sure you take the wheels to some shop that knows there stuff on building wheels.... it really makes a huge difference)

Bottom Line:
awsome rim ... jus make sure you have a good shop building them for you it WILL make a masive difference... gr8 rim i love mine and they look mega cool

Favorite Trail:   cwm carn

Purchased At:   the edge cycleworks

Similar Products Used:   deemax, mavic ex321

Bike Setup:   carrera banshee(ashamed:( but still nice feel) marzocchi 888(06, marzocchi TST-R(awsome), saint crankset, hope m4, 50/50peadles, mavic ex721 laced into hope pro2,diabulus bars and stem, e-thirteen chain guide/tensioner....and a lot of other stuff

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Acworth

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, zero flex

Weaknesses:    Heavy for my application

Bottom Line:
Needed a bomb-proof set of training wheels. Being 6-4 tall and 210lbs with gear, I was going through a set of lighter rims each year. Decided to buy a set of XTR Hubs on 721 rims for $250.00 on Ebay and rest my $500.00 race wheels. Allthough they are very heavy, these wheels go perfect with a stiff frame like my Salty. Been beating the s#!t out of them and I have done no damage to them at all. I'm not using them for what they are made for but I'm gettin a little extra work out pushing them around the trail and I just dont care what I hit anymore. Its a nice feeling coming from wheels that forced you to ride your FS bike like its a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Pinhotti

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   XM719, RinoLites, Valients, Mustangs, DS2 XC.

Bike Setup:   El Saltamontes, quad bearings, Talas, X9,, XTR, SD7, Thomson, King HS.

Submitted by Isaac from Kendal

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Strengths:    strong, light (ish)

Weaknesses:    the only weakness of this rim will be the person who builds it

Bottom Line:
i had a 521 and used it for light jumping etc and it cracked badly, however i bought the 721 which is the same basically and got the 36 spoke version. i thought that the 521 must have been built badly to fail like that so i made sure the 721 was a top build and its fallen short on stair jumps whilst on my hardtail, flatted allover the place and still its good, a bit buckled but not enough to worry over. in all a top wheel that is cheap and strong, and looks good too if u keep it clean. MAKE SURE THE BUILDER KNOWS WHAT THEYRE DOING COS THIS HAS A BIG EFFECT ON THE STRENGTH OF THE WHEEL

Similar Products Used:   521, ex 325 singletrack

Bike Setup:   kona coiler

Submitted by Tim a Downhiller from Sydney

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2007

Strengths:    They're light compared to the other options available, and comparatively strong. They look good, they roll fast and so far, they seem to have a decent life span. My front ceramic 721 is 3 years old and never trued, still tight and straight.

Weaknesses:    They crack around the eyelets, but I've had a small hairline crack in my front rim since day 3. 3 years later, it's still strong as. My rear wheels have had the same cracks (only small lines forming, not full cracks. This doesn't bother me. I find that the side walls are a little weak. I ride rough terrain, tipical mountain goat tracks and generally find a new flat spot after a days riding. Hasn't caused any issues yet though, I'm just aware that they are there

Bottom Line:
A good solid light weight downhill race rim. There's a lot of talk about them cracking, but so far I have only noticed stress lines forming around the eyelets, no real cracks. I generally get about a year + out of a rear wheel which is pretty good. They get ridden every week, hard. Shame about the strength of the sidewalls, but they still perform. This is a DH rim, not a huck rim. You want to huck on your hardtail, buy something heavier. You want a fast DH rim, do it.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Coramba, Dayboro, OBR

Bike Setup:   223

Submitted by Larzveenz from Apeldoorn, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2007

Strengths:    It's one of the strongest rims in the world, that says it all. Great for FR / DH / DJ etc.

Weaknesses:    None as far as I discovered.

Bottom Line:
Just buy it, they're better than the Deemax wheels, which are a lot more expensive. Easier to replace spokes etc. Put Hope Pro 2s in it, they're strong and cheap. Second set for my DH bike is on it's way.

Purchased At:   friend