Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic EN 321 Disc Rim

4.54/5 (79 Reviews)

The XM 321 from Mavic is parts ofTheir "cross-mountain"series for 2004. ReplacesThe older F219 model. Its a 28mm wide rim (outsideTo outside) for use with disc brakes only. At 570grams, its designed with an eye on durability and strength for aggressive riders.It all comes at a priceThat wont ding your wallet, makingThese rims idealfor your next custom disc-specific wheelset. Please note:This is a disc-specific rim and cannot be usedwith rim brakes. Weight: 570 grams

Submitted by Dan

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2012

Strengths:    N/A

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
Gentelmen / Ladies,
I have a NEW Mavic D321 laying around which still has some of the plastic wrapper left on it. Mind you, it has been laying around for quite some time now. If you would like to own it, email me at jbdbishop@hotmail.com and I will send you a pic or two. Then make me an offer I cannot refuse!
Thank you!
Dan

Submitted by mtbhead a Downhiller from San Joser, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2010

Strengths:    Totally bombproof, perfect width for DH tires

Weaknesses:    None. (slightly heavy for racing?)

Bottom Line:
This review is for the older Mavic D321 rims, NOT the EN 321 rims, which are newer, narrower (21mm inner width), and suckier. The new 729 rim is probably most compareable to the older D321, but still not as good. It seems the EN 321 adn D321 rim reviews were combined at one point - the older reviews are on the D321s, and the newer ones are on the EN 321s. These REALLY SHOULD BE SEPERATED. If you want a BOMBPROOF DH/FR/DJ rim, and you can find D321s in good shape on ebay or at a swap meet - get 'em - you will not be dissapointed. I've had these rims on a wheelset on my DH bike for over 10 years, and although I don't race on them anymore (I raced the bike up through last year), these wheels still get used at least once a year at Northstar, and two years ago they saw a week of Whistler, Northshore, and Post Canyon action. These rims have been rocked countless miles of double-black diamond, rocky-as-hell, downhill courses and trails (hard turns, super rocky trails, big drops, doubles, etc) over the past 10 years, and they just keep going. I just do a little truing now and then (less often then any other wheelset I've ever owned), and they remain in excellent shape - very true, and no flat spots.

Favorite Trail:   bow chica wow wow boing boing

Similar Products Used:   Nothing comes close so far

Bike Setup:   10 year old Karpiel Disco Volante, with upgraded everything except for the wheel set, which is going to outlast the frame... 32h Mavic D321s laced to 98/99 DT Hugi hubs, 14g straight-gauge DT spokes. Bombproof and almost maintenance free...

Submitted by skottt160 a Cross Country Rider from duluth

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2008

Strengths:    strong, doesnt taco easily, has held up to all the abuse ive thrown at it

Weaknesses:    possibly weight, but thats where your strength comes in.

Bottom Line:
a great wheelset. im a pretty aggressive rider, and these have gone off 4-5 feet to flat and been alright most of the time. i am completely satisfied.

Purchased At:   bicyclewheelwarehous

Bike Setup:   haro frame, bb7s delicious mix of xt and lx, whatever i can get my hands on

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from Reykjavik

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    It lasted a good time.
It is semi strong i guess.
Did a 2m drop to flat on a hardtail with these rims and they survived.
Cheap now?

Weaknesses:    Not a very good rim.
It is made to only fit up to a 2.2 tire.(It works with a 2.5 i guess)
Not very strong.
Bends easily and spokes come off.

Bottom Line:
Not a very good rim. I liked when it was on my bike but then it cracked at the weld and there vas a big flat spot on it from a jump that is not very large. I had some good times when it was on my bike and its a good rim for dirt jump and street but I use my bike more as a freeride hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Oskjuhlid

Purchased At:   Came with bike.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic ex325(It replaced the 321), Sun singletrack.

Bike Setup:   Azonic Steelhead frame, DJ3, Gt stem and handlebar, Kenda Nevegal 2,5 tires, Mavic mx 321 front, Mavic ex 325 back.

Submitted by Sean a Downhiller from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2007

Strengths:    It can take the hits quite easily and its not to heavy. it looks nice, i had it on a hard tail doing drops and urban it doesn't buckle easily or if it does not a great deal...

Weaknesses:    I found the spokes were always coming loose even in my front wheel i need to constantly tighten them. theres a bit of flex in the wheel when i pump the cranks and in combination with my chain stay flexing it rubs on my chain guide. oh and since the rim gets thin out to the edges if you hit it at a bad angle the rim will fold in easily i found to my dismay :< .

Bottom Line:
great rim light, durable. Best for XC or soft tail use i believe

Favorite Trail:   Leaping Lizard, Makara park

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   alex rims , funn

Bike Setup:   Pikes,hardtail 4x frame (ghost dual slalom), 2.35(fat) tyres.

Submitted by J-Man a Weekend Warrior from Vermont

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2007

Strengths:    strong!! it fits my 3.0 tires. never had a problem. still perfectly straight and it takes a beating!

Weaknesses:    cant find them too much anymore, its too bad, nice rim

Bottom Line:
nice rim, best ive had, i will probly have it for a few more years, i wish they still made it

Favorite Trail:   anything with jumps and drops

Purchased At:   i bought the bike off ebay and the rim came with it

Similar Products Used:   mavic 325 disc, combat halo, ditch witch, singletracks, and a lot of alex rims

Bike Setup:   giant ac, white bros. dh2 fork, fox dhx 4.0 rear shock, 24 in. halo combat rim rear, 26 in mavic 321 disc front with 3.0 tires and hayes hydraulics

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2007

Strengths:    Pretty strong rim, tracks well, not too heavy. Only paid $80 for the whole front wheel.

Weaknesses:    Slightly out of true after a crash off a kicker.

Bottom Line:
Strong and cheap. Go buy it.

Favorite Trail:   N trail

Purchased At:   Bicycle Bananas

Similar Products Used:   WTB Dual Duty

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Teocali Super

Submitted by Jeff a Downhiller from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    Hasn't needed any maintenance, still true.
WILL FIT A 3.0 TIRE.
Mine had a Gazz. on the front, awesome traction, no problems after a year of riding with that setup.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find now, replaced by the 729.

Bottom Line:
Great rims, no problems.

Favorite Trail:   Race of Spades

Purchased At:   used - pinkbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Rhyno Lite XL

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Bullit, 888, Hayes, Saint.

Submitted by Neil a Weekend Warrior from Essex

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2007

Strengths:    Very Strong while still very light. Double walled.

Weaknesses:    Double wall makes wheel harder to build

Bottom Line:
My bike is setup a bit wierd at the moment while im waiting for my new forks. So i have only put the rim on the back. The front is a standard crappy one that you get from your LBS for £10 and that has bent so many times. The back one however is still perfectly straight, so for an extra £5 and a few grams more you might aswell buy these rims

Favorite Trail:   Warley

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Crappy stuff

Bike Setup:   Kona Cowan, Deore Drivechain, XM321 rims, BB7

Submitted by Paul from Los Alamitos, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2007

Strengths:    stays straight, no pinched flats

Weaknesses:    Too much flex, back 2.35 tire rubs against my frame on my Nomad, Spokes come loose too often and break easily, high maintenance, needs to be serviced every 2-3 months.

Bottom Line:
I'm a very aggressive rider, I always hit that ladder drop at Whittier and all other jumps I see. I also ride extremely fast. I go through a lot of parts and this is my second Nomad because I messed up the pivots on the first one, Santa Cruz just sent me a new frame. I also broke the cranks that came with my bike and had to upgrade to the downhill ones. These rims came on my bike and I've hated them since the very first day. At first I thought the reason for the loose spokes was that the spokes where just getting settled but thats not the case since it keeps happening all the time. Also this rim has too much lateral flex such as when I bunny hop or jump the wheel goes into my frame. Its mostly the back wheel since thats the one that gets most of the abuse. One thing that I have noticed is that the rim still remains straight. I'm also a larger rider at 215lbs so that makes a difference too. These might be more ideal for a smaller rider who weighs about 160lbs and who dosent like to go big since the wheel will just give instead of getting bent. Also surprisingly I've never had any pinched flats with this rim. Personally I just don't feel safe on these rims and they have caused me to hold back from trying certain stunts such as hucking. As soon as I get the cash I plan on getting Deemax wheel set. If your a bigger rider who likes to jump look elsewhere. If you need proof you could check out my video clip just listen for the tire rub when I hit the ladder drop:

Favorite Trail:   Whittier Turnbull Canyon

Bike Setup:   Nomad, Fox DHX 5.0 coil, Fox 36 Vanilla RC2 fork, Truvativ Holzfeller Cranks with E13 Chain guide, Mavic 321 with DT Swiss 240 Rear and 340 front, Kenda Nevegal tires 2.5 front and 2.35 rear single ply sticky. Sram XO and Avid Juicy brakes with 185mm rotors front and rear. Thompson X4 stem with Easton Havoc Bars, King headset, Thompson seat post, WTB Pure V seat.

Submitted by geoff a Downhiller from chico ca

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2006

Strengths:    these came on my stinky when i had it(now v10) but took so much abuse and never went out of true
YOU CAN GET THEM FOR 20 bucks too

Weaknesses:    not that i have found.

Bottom Line:
rims held up to alot of abuse, building old 2004 stinky deelux this winter and highly considering getting them again. they come on alot of XC bikes so i dont know what their assumed durability is, but they handled rock gardens and 6ft drops for me back in the day

Favorite Trail:   fline

Purchased At:   south lake

Similar Products Used:   trailpimps, doubleduty

Bike Setup:   03 v10, shivers...

Submitted by fatcat from pasadena, california

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    Mavic 321 rims with a never heard of front 20mm hub TX Quando and rear XT M756 hub. I bought it as a wheelset. The 321 is a strong but pretty lightweight rim, as it weighs in at 570 grams according to Mavic. They stay true on my XC bike which is great because I hate truing rims and you can take small 2-3 footers and not have to worry about them. The rims are probably stronger than my bike frame.

Weaknesses:    The 321 Disc are pretty narrow for a so-called freeride rim. I have a set of 2.20 Bontranger tires on them and they fit fine but I can't see anyone slapping 2.5 or 2.7 tires on them, they seem too narrow. I'd get a different rim for those unless you have lots of health insurance.

Bottom Line:
If you want a good XC or trailbike wheelset that you wont need to baby if you ride through rock gardens or ocassional drops, get the 321's. They dont weigh that much and they are super strong. You wont win any XC races for sure, but the strength and durability is worth it. These are great wheels to get for replacing those stock wimpy rims that came with your bike. Like I stated above, the rims are too narrow for 2.5 and up tires, but for 1.9 to 2.35, these are the ticket.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Bombshell Fatboy, Sun SingleTrack

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider XVP

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2006

Strengths:    INDESTRUCTABLE, Good price.

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
BUY THEM.....

Purchased At:   ebay(new set)

Bike Setup:   Orange Subzero, Marzocchi Shivers, Hope Mini's, Headset and Stem, FSA bars, Sram de-raileurs and shifters,

Submitted by Cole a Downhiller from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2006

Strengths:    super strong, pretty light, easy to get most tires on and off, wide so you can use thick tires

Weaknesses:    shows dirt?

Bottom Line:
these are great rims, they are pretty light and very very strong, as these being my first mavic rim i was kind of skeptical of how they would perform, but they have stayed solid and true, they have been thrashed at whistler, my rear had a spoke missing and still took everything like a pro