Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

Mavic 237 Rims Rim

Mavic 237 Rims

Submitted by Joyce Miller a racer from Columbia, Pa.

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have no rating for this rim, but I can't seem to get this to anyone else. The resent purchase of Mavic rims for BMX racing has left me with a sour taste for your product.
We were told you give no warranty on your product!! The bike these rims were put on was used to race only twice since they were installed on it. Only
to become flat spotted (what I call looking square) and of no use now.
I find this (no warranty) a poor way to handle business. You advertise this product for the use on BMX bikes and they have less then the quality of a basic BMX bike bought off a bicycle stores showroom floor.
False advertising is against the law, and that is what I get out of buying your product. So now, are you going to change your mind and stand behind your product? Or should I take this further than just a complaint to you? Forget the star rating, I had to pick one to even send this darn thing!

Submitted by Carl a racer from Lusby, MD

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

Hate pinned rims...Haaaate. Wanted a set of beater wheels for training purposes and save my Cane Creeks for the races. Got a set of LX/237s. One ride, minimal roots'n'rocks, and suddenly I've got a click-click-click coming from the front of the bike. Got off, spun the wheel, and sure enough there was the seam giving way. Have seen what happens when people ignore these (or don't know what's making the noise) and those are some great endofaceplants when the brake pad finally stops the wheel dead on a downhill. Two chilis... ONLY because I happen to like rebuilding wheels.

Submitted by Greg McConnell a cross-country rider from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: July 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

I only had these rims for around a month and I didnt ride them that hard at all. The next thing I know, both of these pathetic rims were out of true. 2 days later my rear rim was completely bend. These rims reek and are extremely pathetic.

Submitted by Scott Power a racer from fresno CA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

I had a set of these on my new Specialized ground control. These rims are fairly light and look strong. However, I weigh 235 (cyldsdale) pounds and tend to be hard on parts. I figured these wheels will be good for training and I would save my good rims for racing. However, if I take a turn hard the rim would just bend. If the tire flexed the rim would bend. If you are a heavy rider I would recommend 217 or 121. I now use 121 as my back up rims. Some unlucky fool stole my 237's. My 217 get 4 chilis and my 237, well I would like to give them less than one. For a cheap rim one will do.

Submitted by Bruno a cross-country rider from Santa Fe, NM

Date Reviewed: March 9, 1997

Bottom Line:

My ProFlex 856 came outfitted with a pair of dark-colored Mavic 237 rims, brass nipples, 14 ga. spokes, and LX hubs. A friend a I swapped bikes on the legendary downhill Winsor Trail and he barrelled through a patch of melon-sized rocks. When he finished, the rear rim was doing the hula. It completely tacoed. The front one was fine, though.I liked the rims because they were light and looked cool, but I went for a Mavic 217-CD built on a White rear hub.

Submitted by Andrew Nicholas a cross-country rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

I was going 34 mph when I ran in to a huge rock. (This was at night and i had no lights). Anyway I fliped over the bars and landed about 15 feet from the rock. My bike about 20 I got up after 10 minutes and crawled over to my bike I had driven my face in to the dirt and my nose felt like it was riped off. But my rims were still straight and my bike was fine except for my bike seat. Some how when I fliped my seat rails were bent and the back of the seat was riped open. At least I only have to buy a new seat. So if you are looking for good rims and you dont want to spend over $45.00 get the Mavic 237 s

Submitted by Craig Pierce a cross-country rider from Auburn, California - USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

What are 237 wheels? I have found Mavic 217s which are about the best off road wheel availible on the market today and there's the 238, the runners up to the 217. Are the 237 a new product or maybe another name for the CrossMax?

Submitted by Kona Boy a cross-country rider from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have put over 3000 kilometers on a set of 237's and have had no problems.
The sidewalls have held up through all the muddy conditions and I beleive they
will last me for a good portion of another season. I recommend getting your wheels trued by a quality wheelbuilder who will use the proper tools (tension meter especially). I had my wheels trued by a quality wheelbuilder and I have not had to true my wheels after crashes and over 2000 kilometers on them.

Submitted by Erik Su a weekend warrior from Ithaca, NY

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1996

Bottom Line:

Mavic rims with the UB Control surfaces are great. The machined sidewalls make
sure that the brakes have a totally flat and parallel surface to contact. It
also makes a sharp delineation at the bottom of the sidewall, so there is a
definite edge along which to align the brake pads. They have also stayed pretty
true, although that may be due to the quality of building.