Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

4.28/5 (29 Reviews)

MAVIC 222

Submitted by -eddie. a Cross Country Rider from sptbg sc

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Strengths:    everything so far, light, fast, and strong.

Weaknesses:    i dont like the looks, but i cant complain b/c they roll so well

Bottom Line:
they rock.

the front is wearing out a little bit, but after 10 years 10 YEARS of service. thats fine by me. I kept telling myself i was going to upgrade to disc brakes once they wore out. Well they still haven't.

10 years people, what's that telling you.

either they're awesome, or i don't beat them enough.......maybe i should try.
take care of them and they'll last forever, or at least 10 years. :)

Bike Setup:   99 scwhinn homegrown they came on

Submitted by Graham Mitchell a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight. Stunning longevity!

Weaknesses:    Zip

Bottom Line:
I bought my MM new in '99. I am still running the original wheels and brakes. People keep pointing out that I should upgrade to disks. I reply that I will when the wheels brake or wear out. Well after nearly 8 years of crashing and bashing through the inhospitable Australian bush (you don't know till you've been there) my wheels are still going strong. Sure, I've broken several spokes and required occasional truing and yes, I lose braking power in the extreme wet (rare here) but these hoops won't say die! So to all those whom I lambasted in my 2001 post, stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Zac 19

Bike Setup:   '99 Marin Mount Vision, still largely original with '04 Vanilla fork set @ 100mm.

Submitted by angus henry a Weekend Warrior from ottawa, ont, canada

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, light durable. Nice and stiff too

Weaknesses:    has none if used for what it is, an xcwheel

Bottom Line:
They rock, only had to true them once and that was minor. Solid, dependable best ones I have ever had.

Favorite Trail:   gatineau's firetower

Purchased At:   rent a bike

Similar Products Used:   bontrager, sun

Bike Setup:   gary fischer big sur

Submitted by Ian a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Strengths:    Over two years on weekend thrashing and bashing has resulted in minor truing maybe four or five times.

Bottom Line:
Really amazed that what I hear is a XC rim has taken over two years of thrashing and bashing into and off of large logs by a low finesse but agressive rider.

Purchased At:   stk on bike

Bike Setup:   Marin Attack Trail FRS

Submitted by Leo a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, holds for XC riding. Light, even lighter than my other set of wheels which are built with the X517 rim(both sets have same spokes and hubs).

Weaknesses:    Not with the rims, but the stock wheels I got are built with very high spoke tension - so far three spokes have popped because of that.

Bottom Line:
Great rim, if You find it - rare as aftermarket rim in sweden.

Purchased At:   Came stock with my Marin

Similar Products Used:   Mavic X 517 , Weinmann

Bike Setup:   Came stock on my Marin Mount Vision -99, but now the wheels are used on my winter mtb.

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Nottingham (UK)

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2001

Strengths:    Quite light
Strong
Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I bought these after I wore out a pair of X517s. As they cost about half what I paid for my 517s I wasn't expecting much from them - they aren't SUP welded like the 517s. I expected to get a few months out of them and then buy something better. However, I haven't needed to replace them yet - they've stayed true (I don't use them for anything too extreme - no drops of more than a foot or so), and I haven't noticed much wear on the braking surface. I suspect that anyone who has had problems with these rims has either suffered from a poor wheel build or is using them for something other than straight-forward XC.

Favorite Trail:   Sherwood Forest/Clumber Park

Purchased At:   Olympic Cycles (Nottingham, UK)

Similar Products Used:   Mavic X517 citrus
Zak 19 (came with the GT i-drive I used to ride)

Bike Setup:   Coyote HT4 frame, Judy Race fork, full XT group (inc hubs & V's)......

Submitted by andrew a Cross Country Rider from middletown

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome rim. I bought these w/specialized stout hubs from a friend barely used. my only problem was when i tacoed the front rim.

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
When i tacoed my front rim, it was my fault. It was on a night ride and my light's beam didnt go over the edge of a 4ft dropoff. I hit front wheel first at 17 mph. I smacked it on the ground to straighten it out and rode home. That one i landed right on my face. They look really cool half black half braking surface. I got a sweet price but to replace the rim it will cost 30 bucks(special order)

Favorite Trail:   the jungle

Similar Products Used:   bonty race lite(my friends) xtr w/517's(his race wheels)

Bike Setup:   a whole bunch of odd parts that you really dont see together too often

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Carbondale, Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Strengths:    Strong. Fairly light. Looks good. Seem to track well.

Bottom Line:
They are a hand-built set with XT hubs. They have generally been used on windy single-track, but occasionally on the rougher stuff and some light downhill. They have never had to be trued once (that I can remember), which is very good since I am a 250 lb. plus rider (part of this may be the quality hand-building from Colorado Cyclist). They have been taken off some good one to three foot drops, with no problem. I am starting to hit the rough stuff harder, but still don't think they would be a problem. One day, I am sure that they will need some truing. Good quality cross-country rim at a good price.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Old Ritchey (Vantage I think). Mavic 221. Sun Rhynolite.

Bike Setup:   Used one year on my 1989 Bridgestone MB-1, then one year on a Strong frame. Both hardtails with suspension.

Submitted by Graham Mitchell a Weekend Warrior from Perth,WA,Australia

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    Light,strong,great colour.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
You know I've got to say this;there's some deeply unintelligent reviewing going on on this site! X 222's are CROSS COUNTRY rims. Get that? So,Bozo,don't expect them to cope with drop-offs into rock-gardens or whatever! I mean 'What on earth do you expect from your kit??' These rims are excellent for their intended use -trail hacking,racing,cross-country epics. "Mommy,Mommy my bike's broken! It's a piece of trash! Can I get a new one?? Awww,pleease!! Boo-hoo! Snivel,wail,pout,sulk.You don't love me...etc,etc,etc."

Favorite Trail:   Eight and a half metre

Purchased At:   Entrepreuneur

Similar Products Used:   Zac 19.

Bike Setup:   Mount Vision with full XT

Submitted by Ron H a Cross Country Rider from Somerville, NJ

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight. durable.

Bottom Line:
rims are awesome. bought rims with xt hubs and casette. I am a little heavier than the average rider (210 lbs). I ride a lot of technical, and some longer cross country rides. I have gotten them trued once since bought them.

Purchased At:   Bike Zone

Bike Setup:   giant atx890, rock shox sid xc, race face crank, xt group, grip shifters

Submitted by Clint a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2000

Strengths:    strong, looks

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels on closout at cambria bike for 130 bucks. i am a broke college student who can't afford more exspensive wheels. I have been very pleased with the performance. I am not that smooth of a rider and hammer on my bike pretty hard. I havn't had to true them yet even after nailing a stump and endoing. great wheel for the money, I would buy another pair if these were to wear out.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis river

Purchased At:   cambria bike

Similar Products Used:   bontrager

Bike Setup:   sc heckler, marzocchi, xt

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from IL

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2000

Strengths:    light and durable

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
THESE RIMS HAVE BEEN RACED, RIDDEN AND CRASHED HARD FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS AND ONY NEEDED TRUEING TWICE. ONE WAS AFTER MY REAR DERAILLEUR GOT PUSHED INTO MY REAR WHEEL BY A LOG AND BROKE 5 SPOKES. I RODE IT ABOUT TWO MILES BACK TO THE CAR AND TOOK IT TO THE SHOP, THE SHOP OWNER WHO BUILT THE WHEELS WAS ALMOST IN TEARS WHEN HE SAW IT. WELL, HE FIXED IT ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO AND ITS STILL STRAGHT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT SOME OF THESE OTHER GUYS ARE DOING TO THEIR WHEELS, BUT MINE HAVE PROVEN TO BE PLENTY TOUGH.

Favorite Trail:   JUBILIE STATE PARK