Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

2.72/5 (39 Reviews)

Mavic 220

Submitted by SubieDude a Weekend Warrior from san francisco, ca

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2008

Strengths:    rims was on a 8-10 year old bike
i ride it, i crash it, PERFECT
these are perfect, unlike that others say about it

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
If you can get these cheap GET IT
dont listen to other people, ive had them on my bike for 10 years and they are perfect

Favorite Trail:   china camp in san rafael, ca

Purchased At:   free stumpjumper fro

Similar Products Used:   alex DH rims

Bike Setup:   stumpjumper fs m2, lx canti brakes, judy xc fork, lx hubs, xt derailleurs...

Submitted by Dave Kim a Cross Country Rider from Covina, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Strengths:    Stayed trued for 7 years and running. Still no problems or any repairs necessary to this day. Value for the money.

Weaknesses:    Negative feedback from other reviewers.

Bottom Line:
Many people claimed these rims to be weak and terrible. But my bike has had the original rims for 7 years and never have I had to have them trued or repaired in anyway. The braking surface for the brakes work well with V-Brakes. I have no negative remarks for these rims because in 7 years of riding cross country, some downhill and some pavement abuse, they never let me down. When I say pavement abuse, I mean they survived climbing over curbs at relatively high speeds, and I crashed several times and the rims stayed trued. I had a Giant ATX980 that came with cheap rims, and in a severe crash, the front rim buckled like a taco. Imagine what that does on the pavement. Must have flown a good 5 feet up, 10 feet straight before hitting the pavement. Thank God for helmets, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMETS. Saved my life, helmet cracked in several places. Anyways because of how long these rims have lasted to this day, I rate this rims awesome.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Other Mavic rims, Sun Rims, Spin Spin Rims, Weinmann Rims

Bike Setup:   These Mavics 220's came with my 1998 Giant MCM-980.

Submitted by Nikolas a Weekend Warrior from Greece

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Strengths:    Nice looks,wond bent easy(with dt revolutions that is)Very good breaking surface,eylets,its mavic

Bottom Line:
i built my wheels personaly and so far they havent shown any negatives.I used dt revolutions,lx hubs,dt allow niples.Dont know why other poeple have problems with theese rims.Maybe the person that builted the wheels didnt knew how to in the first place.or something.iuse them on xc use and so far they havent bent(dispite i transport the bike by aircraft preety much and geneneraly i dont take much care for the wheels,and i managed to bent vuelta deepV's).I supose its all a matter of wheel building.When the braking surface wears mavic will be my choice again.

Bike Setup:   gt pantera,lx-xt,judySL'02,Ritcey-icon parts,Mavic 220

Submitted by Rodrigues Enrique a Weekend Warrior from Macau, China

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2002

Strengths:    colour, UB braking surface

Weaknesses:    Weak, heavier than X517s

Bottom Line:
It's too soft and useless of UB braking surface because I use disc brakes...use these rims for road is better

Favorite Trail:   any but learning some

Purchased At:   Wing Lei

Similar Products Used:   Mavic X221, 220, 238, 138, D521 CD, Sun Rhyno Lites, MC 18

Bike Setup:   Nova Nebula 7005 (disc brake only) frame, 01 Judy SL, Da Bomb disc/Mavic 238/220, DT comp 14G, 2001 Shimano Alivio STi, 00'XT mechs, FSA Power Pro Cranks/Ultimax steel BB, IG 90 chain, Alivio Cassette, RST Cable discs, WTB Saddle/Profile other kits

Submitted by BVBR a Racer from Ocomukowonowaukesha, WI

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2001

Strengths:    Constant truing has helped hone my wheelbuilding skills.

Weaknesses:    WEAK PIECES OF CR@P!

Bottom Line:
Not a very good rim at all. From the first day I rode this wheel I was constantly truing it. I actally had to pound some flat spots out of it after a hard ride. Now its more of an oval than a circle. I have since put this wheel out of its mountain bike misery and now only use it with a slick on my trainer.

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Mustang, Valiant; Mavic CrossRide

Bike Setup:   ProFlex 857

Submitted by Raf a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    Colour is nice and sadly, thats about it.

Weaknesses:    It's a pretty weak rim. Maybe not for the real XC, only road riding perhaps.

Bottom Line:
These rims sucks. I am only 75Kg and everytime I go off-road, I have to true them. If you do long distance road riding, these are good for you as they are light, but if you go off-road, tough off-road conditions, avoid Mavic220. The Spinergy Rev X is far better although they are carbon and non-spoke rims.

Favorite Trail:   Pulau Ubin

Similar Products Used:   Cheaper craps

Bike Setup:   Sintesi, SRAM, XTR, XT bla bla bla...

Submitted by Sven a Cross Country Rider from East Shore

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2000

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    weak

Bottom Line:
My bike might be a work in progress, but the mav 220's upfront are alright. make no mistake, these are NOT rear rims, but they are adequate for front. After about 3 months of use, the rear 220 rim did look like a wet noodle and had to be switched out for a 517. however, the front one has outlasted my Judy, so I think I'm gonna stick with it until the end. If it lasts me awhile, I might even get another, because of the lightness. I'm no weanie, but its stupid to put a heavier part on when a lighter one will do.
QUESTION: WHOSE SHIMANO DISK BRAKES FELL OFF AT MT SNOW LAST WEEK, 6/22-25/00? IF YOU REMEMBER, PLEASE EMAIL ME. IT WAS A PRO WOMAN DOWNHILLER.

Bike Setup:   Specialized m2 w/raceface crankset, xt f. der,xtr rear,220 upfront, 517 rear RF riserbars, V brakes, RS Judy fork (now destroyed)

Submitted by Scott Stange a Cross Country Rider from Mountain View, Calif

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Strengths:    Looked like a nice rim and cheap

Weaknesses:    weakness is the weakness

Bottom Line:
I just purchased this rim after less than one year on a rear ritchey rock comp. It looked good until I miss timed a curb jump while semi-racing another biker. My rear wheel hit the curb farily hard and I weigh 200 lbs. The rim folded like a cheap paper bag. I expected the rim to be slightly damaged, but it was destroyed and then my tire blew up. I felt dumb as the other rider just rode on by....a lighter rider may have a rideable rim.....may?

Favorite Trail:   Shoreline dirt trails near bay

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Rcok Comp

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rock Hopper with front shocks. Kevlar specilized road tires. Speed set-up for 15-20 mile daily commute through city streets.

Submitted by Mike G a Racer from New York

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1999

Strengths:
not too heavybetter for up front (no argument there)Mavic qualityI expected it to last 2 months, its been almost 3 years.

Weaknesses:
do they even make these rims anymore?Mavic has a bad rap for having quality rims that last one season (if that)

Bottom Line:
I wrecked the rear in a crash after riding on it for 1 year. Im still running the front rim after almost 3 years! trued it maybe 4 times. I think its a mighty fine front rim yall. And I ride hard like a freakin' animal and race alot and get aggressive on the DH sections. I weigh 160, I dont jump much at all (im sure this helps the rim last long). Not too bad cause im murder on equipment, murder I tell ya. Im running a 517 now in the rear and im hitting rock garden hardcore, hardcore i tell you (in jersey and upstate NY).
So far all I see is a thinning braking surface on the 220 but thats expected after almost 3 years. My advice to all yall is ride smooth, you'll be a faster XC mountain biker and preserve equipment longer. It took me a broken wrist to learn that one. A definite blessing in disguise. 4 stars for quality, minus one star cause its not what you would call a super-high end rim.
I like it.
I threw a Judy 100 up front and im bombing stuff mad. I owe it to the shock for my aggrssive descents. Off the topic I feel that all XC hardtail bikes should have long travel shocks. It makes the ride so much more enjoyable. I race on my longtravel shock too, without incident. Only podium for me yall.

Mt Snow xc race loop 98 configuration. (mad climb)

Sun O* XC...(burly, noticeably heavier)Mavic 217
Mavic 517

Schwinn HomeGrown/chrome 1997pimped out hardcore and maintained by The Bike Junky, bethpage, Long Island, NY

Submitted by steve a Cross-Country Rider from michigan

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1999

Strengths:
light

Weaknesses:
too light

Bottom Line:
i really hate to enter another bad review of a product, but i just talked to a friend who took my old front wheel to use while he had a new one built. the rear 220 i had failed in less than 3 months of use and the it was spoke bed failure where the nipples were pulling and bulging out of the rims. the front just failed catastrophically, but fortunately he is okay. these rims should be used with great caution!!!!!

6 months

none this inferior

doesn't matter

Submitted by clive mullins a Cross-Country Rider from ottawa

Date Reviewed: September 7, 1999

Weaknesses:
bulging & cracking eyelets

Bottom Line:
Either my rim was defective or the 220 is a very sub-standard product (and should come
with a warning label for ROAD use only). I got 1 season out of the rim before the eyelets on the rim around the spokes started bulging and cracking. I did not have the spokes over tightened, I am not particularly heavy (155lb), I do like technical trails, but hey this is a mountain bike. The Mavic rep would not warantee the rim because it had been ridden hard. I got 5 years use out of my Araya RM17HA without any problems on the same trails. I've ended up using the RM17 again until I get a new rim (it is very worn). I am not impressed with the 220 at all.

1 Year

Araya RM17HA

Kona Explosif
bomber

Submitted by Romeo a Weekend Warrior from Norfolk Va

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1999

Strengths:
FAIRLY LIGHT. GOOD PRICE

Bottom Line:
GREAT PERFORMANCE, BUT i HAVE TO RETENSION THEM EVERY MONTH OR SO. NO SWEAT. I BUILT THEM IN JUNE.

3 months

MAVIC X138

99 DEORE LX HUBS
14/15 DBL BUTTED DT SPOKES RADIAL FRONT
3X/RADIAL REAR

Submitted by meado a Cross-Country Rider from denver

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Strengths:
decent value, fairly light

Weaknesses:
Spokes pulled through eyelets

Bottom Line:
Although, I did get 2.5 years of use I cannot endorse this rim. The wheel was hand-built by a pro and only needed to be trued only one time, therefore I know the wheel was built right. The rim is probably fine for beginner/novice riders.

Poison Spider

Bontrager, Ritchey

Santa Cruz, Z1, Vanilla R

Submitted by Tim a Cross-Country Rider from Alaska

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I agree with Erik (below) that this is a terrible rear rim. After less than two years of normal riding my rear rim began to rapidly break up. It had always tended to stray out of true, but now it was cracking severely and pulling the spoke eyelets out of the rim. And before you assume that my spoke tension was too great, let me tell you it wasn't. I treated this rim the same way I've treated others that lasted for years. I replaced it with a 36-hole Rhyno Lite that is working well. When my front rim gives up the ghost, it won't be replaced with a Mavic. Too many shop guys have told me they've seen this happen before.

Submitted by CrankE a Cross-Country Rider from Northeast Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 14, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight, machined brake surface, eyelets

Weaknesses:
Seam is pinned, not welded

Bottom Line:
A good rim. I have no idea what these other fools are talking about. Two years on the rear rim laced from the factory. I have beaten the ever loving CRAP out of this wheel. Only after two years of beating on this rim is it done. Many of the problems associated with rims is the person who built the wheels, and how often you have them tensioned. These rims ROCK

Homegrown, XT/XTR, Z2 Bomber

Pasadena will give you $220 to buy a folder

"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Palatino Linotype]The city’s new [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="http://foldngobike.com/"]FoldnGo program[/URL][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Palatino Linotype] offers people who live, work, or go to school in the Southern California City $220 off the price of a folding bike. To hold up their end o ... Read More »

Mavic 719 29er rim strong enough for 220 # aggressive rider?

I wan to build up another set of Hadleys with Mavic 719's. Do the big boys like?Read More »

Easton Havoc AM Wheelset - $220

[URL="http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16738-365_EASHV7-3-Parts-75-Wheelsets/Easton-AM-Havoc-Wheelset-offer.htm?utm_source=SLI&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=41&zmap=365%20EASHV7"]PP has Easton Havoc AMs for $220[/URL]. I have worked mine for a year and they are still ... Read More »

XC 29er wheelset for a 220 lbs rider

I'm 220lbs/16 stone/100kg, I've just startet riding (due to knee problems when running). I'm riding gravel with some rocky sections but mostly decent gravel paths. I'll build a 29er based on a chinese carbon frame. I've found serveral alternatives for a new wheelset, what would be my best option? ... Read More »

i cant belive i bought this for 220

this bike is in near mint condition. i think its so cool. i like how its in my room because i can stare at it:eekster: i snagged it right after work. everything is original other than the front tread. if anybody is interested in buying let me know. it might be on ebay if i cant sell it locally fo ... Read More »