Home | Reviews | Rim | Mavic

3.3/5 (214 Reviews)

Mavic 217 Rims

Submitted by Daniel Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Richardson, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2007

Strengths:    -Strong
-Light weight

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
These wheels have been great. No problems whatsoever. I dont ride super hard... so I cant really say I have abused them or seriously put them to the test. But for around the town and the occasional ride down mountains in Colorado... these wheels have been fabulous.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Grapevine

Similar Products Used:   Alex Rims

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M40, XT crankset, LX Hydraulic Disc brakes, Mavic 217's with XT hubs

Submitted by mtdewd a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena, California

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, starts out round.

Weaknesses:    Kind of flimsy.

Rims started to crack from the inside after consistent commuting.

High cost.

Bottom Line:
I think these were part of a component package that GT used to build a really light weight bike. When I bought the bike (1995), 24 pounds for a hard tail was pretty good. It had Richey Logic spokes, which were again, light weight, but did not keep the wheels true for very long; even moderate hits would cause wobbles in the rim.

I stopped riding this bike off road when I got my LTS. Then 5 years ago, I started to commute regularly with the Zaskar. This consists of 17 miles round trip, with about 700 feet total climb, all on pavement. I would take mountainous routes home about once a week, which is like an additional 1500 feet climb and 8 more miles. I do not take jumps, so I thought I was being pretty gentle to the wheels.

But the rim on the back wheel started to fail after about a year of commuting in a most unusual way: Cracks developed around the valve stem hole on the INSIDE wall of the rim, going toward the nearby spoke hole. Everything appeared fine on the outside, but when I applied the rear brakes, it would thump at one spot. It turned out to be the cracked rim being pushed out by tire pressure.

I saw a reviewer of the 217SUP rim ( what's the difference anyway?) having a similar problem, except on his rim, the crack went around the whole circle before he noticed it. This is the only other case I've seen of a damage similar to mine, but I'm sure he was doing much harder riding than I was.

I went through 2 more like this, again all from mostly road riding, so I thought there might be a pattern going on with this model. Funny thing is, I also went through two Velocity Aeroheat rims as well, cracking them in the same places, so maybe it was something I was doing?. At least those rims were much cheaper. So on average, each rim lasted about a year.

I'm giving these rims 2 chilis for value due to their cost, and 3 for overall because they were light weight and worked pretty well when they were working.

Purchased At:   South County Cyclery, SJC, CA

Similar Products Used:   Velocity Aeroheat

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar, full XT, Rockshoks Judy SL, Speed Springs, Gem

Submitted by M Snow a Cross Country Rider from Mesa

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2004

Strengths:    Inexpensive, came with the bike.

Weaknesses:    flimsy, folds up easy,

Bottom Line:
These are cheap flimsy wheels to put on your bike when your selling it. Keep the good wheels for your new ride. I am not a young, heavy nor hard rider and I tacoed these with very little effort in a soft corner. It should have washed out the tire instead of folding up the rim. It also doesn't add any value since its made in France.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Velocity VXC Disc specific, Velocity Aero Heat, Mavic 223,

Bike Setup:   Titus xt/xtr etc...

Submitted by Erik from Marblehead, MA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Weaknesses:    Let me add my name to the list of those who say these suck. I'm a mid-level freerider and they bend left and right. I've replaced both front and back twice and have had them trued countless times. Don't waste your money on them (if you can still find them).

Bottom Line:
Suck

Submitted by John Lee a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, Ca.

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    Tubeless

Weaknesses:    To much flex. Very soft feel.

Bottom Line:
These wheels can't hold up to much punishment. They are way to flexy. These wheels start to rub my rear stays after 2 rides. I can't keep these wheel true. I have broken 3 spokes in the past 3 months. Throw these in the recycle bin after 2 rides.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Tam

Purchased At:   Big Swigin Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager offset spoke wheelset.

Bike Setup:   Klien Adept Comp. All XTR components. XT cranks and bottom bracket.

Submitted by Markus a Weekend Warrior from Dresden, Germany

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, strong

Weaknesses:    Tends to wear quickly, esp. using Shimano V-Brakes w/orig. Pads. Had bad squealing action as well

Bottom Line:
I prefer the 217's over the 517 for two reasons:
The ores are fitted better (they go thru both layers).
The alloy does not break as easy. I had two 517's split around the diameter after 10-15'000 km. If you ride much, take the extra weight and use 217's.

217's are perfect for rear wheel. For front I recommend 517's. Bottom line: 5 years-15'000 km and still going strong--that's got to be at least 5 of the chilis!!!

Favorite Trail:   Borsberg

Purchased At:   Stock on my Giant Super Sierra '95

Similar Products Used:   Mavic X-517, X-138, 221

Bike Setup:   Giant Cadex, Jett Race, all XT --> light setup for road and trails (I prefer to ride fast rather than hard)

Submitted by your worst nightmare a Cross Country Rider from or

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Strengths:    they are round....seem to work for those hardcore road mountain bikers (you know who you are)

Weaknesses:    they are about as strong as a wet noodle. I have had three of these (cheers to mavic's customer service!)and have finally broken out of the cycle.

Bottom Line:
these rims suck, if you want some rims that have the "right name" to ride around town on and impress your friends buy these. if you plan on riding off road dont buy these. if you plan on jumping more than 2-3 inches, dont buy these. Mavic, get a grip and make better rims! I would suggest cane creek's to anyone who wants an excelletn wheel/rim combo, and for the budget minded rhyno lite's.

Favorite Trail:   anything with big drops

Similar Products Used:   cane creek (wonderful), weinnman zac (not so good)

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar, psylo race, crap rims (for now), xtr, race face, etc...

Submitted by Nathan from Ft. Thomas

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2002

Strengths:    Light... kind of

Weaknesses:    Sidewall wear, far too narrow, FLexY, weak

Bottom Line:
I had for 2 months and the sidewalls are paper thin. THat is a problem. That's all I got to say right now cause I'm tired.

Favorite Trail:   tower park

Similar Products Used:   None worth mentioning

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Mesa(score!!!)Marzzocchi Z2 BAM Soon to have LX/Sun Rhino Lite wheels...

Submitted by Daryl a Cross Country Rider from Mountain View, CA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Strengths:    Wheelset runs smooth on the steepest of climbs. Good value (back in 1998 when I bought them). More than enough rim for your lightweight, light riding weekend warrior/commuter.

Weaknesses:    Braking surface degrades easily. Brake fading is a problem, a short term fix for which is rubbing a scouring pad [those rough green things used to scrub pots and pans] lightly across the surface to remove brakedust/dirt/grime.

Bottom Line:
These rims are no longer in production and have been replaced by the X517 XC series. If you find these for cheap, don't get them! There are better wheelsets/rims available these days. Mavic has greatly improved on their design since the 217 design rim.

I've had these for over three years only because I don't plan to upgrade to disc. They'll suffice for the XC/street riding I perform daily. Not the sturdiest on rough terrain, but can easily handle any uphill ascent you dare to climb.

They've been re-trued 4 times and have had two spokes replace on the rear wheel (I basically threw a cone wrench at it. *TWANG* two bent spokes.) I learned that keeping your spokes properly tensioned is s-u-p-e-r-i-m-p-o-r-t-a-n-t. Check them after a few rides, and especially if you hear spoke noise coming from your wheels. Fix it immediately. This will extend the life of your wheels.

Purchased At:   RBMSports (Northern Cal.)

Similar Products Used:   These are my first and only off-road specific wheelset.

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works hardtail. Custom built to my desires. Wheelset: Mavic 217 SUP f/r in rainbow color. LX V-Brakes [upgraded to XTR V-Brakes and braking performance did not improve much cuz sidewalls are so out of shape]. STOUT front w/skraxle radial laced 32hole, and Shimano XT rear stdQR 2x laced 32hole.

Submitted by Matt from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2001

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    weak

Bottom Line:
Good for XC riding. I have messed my rear one up pretty good, but I ride hard on it. I'm planning on upgrading to the Rhyno Lite once I taco this one. Not a terrible rim, but I just need a burlier one.

Similar Products Used:   rhino lite

Bike Setup:   01 enduro. hayes

Submitted by Rebel . a Downhiller from Mill Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, light, fast...all the high points of a rim. I used to run the weaker SUP rims (I can't remember what they're called) and they stayed quite true, and these haven't bent yet!

Weaknesses:    None...well sometimes they're a bit flimsy under heavy abuse.

Bottom Line:
Get these rims. They haven't given me any trouble yet. I use them for downhill, most often. They're straighter than my Rhynolite, if that tells you anything.

Favorite Trail:   O.R.G.

Purchased At:   Bryceco (?)

Similar Products Used:   Sun Rhynolite, CR18, 0° Lite, etc.

Bike Setup:   '98 FSR Elite w/MRP 6.2" upgrade, '98 Boxxer Pro 6", Hope rear Magura front discs, XTR rear derailleur, XT shifter, MRP chainguide, Raceface Turbine LPs, Tioga and WTB tires...oh yeah, and a 217 SUP front rim...Rhynolite rear.

Submitted by Nicolai Grøndahl a Cross Country Rider from Kongsvinger

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    light. it's mavic! (oh yeah!)(uh) looks cool

Weaknesses:    weak - i mean really weak. expensive -u have to by new ones every month if u want to have true rims all the time. the spokes get loose after two weeks of riding

Bottom Line:
Because too many riders demand lighter stuff, things worn out quicker. I want stronger stuff that lasts, but it seems that everyone wants bad sucky worn-me-out-quick-let's-buy-a-new-one-tomorrow-i-don't-care stuff. This makes me sick. Another problem with 217's is that they come on many new bikes, if u want some other ones, u have to buy them later. So I recommend hard-core xc bikers to stay away from 217 and buy some stronger rims. If u don't want to ride rocky and difficult trails go for them, they are light and nice to look at. Next time I buy rims I will buy the 121's.

Similar Products Used:   mavic 138

Bike Setup:   cyclepro (unknown but very good)alu frame really stiff, xt/lx, rockshox judy xc

Submitted by MATT MULLEN a Cross Country Rider from SHEFFIELD IN UK

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2000

Strengths:    LIGHT WEIGHT

Weaknesses:    WEARS OUT QUICKER THAN EXPECTED

Bottom Line:
I BOUGHT A MAVIC 217 WITH SHIMANO XT HUBS FOR £110 WHICH WASNT A BAD PRICE BACK IN OCT 97. THE FRONT RIM IS STILL GOING ALTHOUGH ITS QUITE WORN, SOON TO BE REPLACED WITH MY NEW 517 WITH PACE HUB (LUVERLY). THE REAR 217 SPLIT AFTER THE SIDEWALLS WERE WORN OUT WHILST OUT ON A RIDE (RIM HELD TOGETHER JUST ENOUGH FOR ME TO GET BACK HOME). THE SHEFFIELD MUD WEARS RIMS OUT LIKE A GRINDER ESPECIALLY WITH V BRAKES. THE REAR WAS REPLACED IN APR 99 WITH A SYNCROS XLR (SEE MY ASSESMENT OF THAT PRODUCT). ANYWAY, TO SUMMARISE THE FRONT HAS LASTED WELL BUT IS OUT OF TRUE (4CHILLIS), THE REAR WORE OUT AFTER 18 MONTHS & HAD TO BE TRUED A FEW MORE TIMES THAN I EXPECTED (3CHILLIS). SO OVERALL 3.5 CHILLIS. YOU CANT DO HALF CHILI RATINGS SO I GAVE IT A 4 CHILI BURSTING SCORE.