Home | Reviews | Rim | DT Swiss

DT Swiss XR 400 Rim

2.67/5 (6 Reviews)

DT-Swiss XR 400 26" Disc Rim: Swiss made, disc brake specific rim. SBWT (Strength-Boost-Welding-Technology) welded rim. Single pocket with stainless steel single eyelets.

Submitted by Keith Wood a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2014

Strengths:    Umm... they're black?

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I've ridden these for 4 years and only that long because I've nursed them along for the last 3 years. Friday was their last day of use as I put another dent big enough to not hold the bead of my tire and double flatted out of race. Good riddance. They've always been fragile, getting dented within the first month of use on XC trails (racing) but I've coerced them back into shape barely and used lots of Stan's to get them to seal. I have a 5" bike and weigh 150 with a finesse riding style (having started on hardtails) and I've ridden lots of rims at least this hard and never had a problem. There are many dents in these and they're just not durable enough to warrant putting on your bike. Find something else.

Favorite Trail:   Secret Stash

Duration Product Used:   4 years

Purchased At:   Sports Garage

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Enve, Bontrager, Head

Bike Setup:   Yeti 5C, Fox 32 102 FIT, XX 2x10, 2.3" Conti Vertical tire front, 2.4" Conti XKing tire rear

Submitted by Brian McGloin

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, easy to lace, strong, take high spoke tension, (and most importantly) they look nice

Weaknesses:    A bit narrow, no 36-spoke option

Bottom Line:
I need to come clean with a potential conflict of interest. I bought the parts for these wheels at a ridiculous discount while attending at DT Swiss wheel building class at United Bicycle Institute. While I have no affiliation with DT Swiss or the school, I feel I should say something.

I laced a pair of XR 400 rims to DT Swiss 240s hubs (ISO disc, 32 spoke, three-cross, double butted Sapim spokes) a couple of months ago. I ride around Austin on an aluminum hard tail Rocky Mountain with a steel Surly fork. My 165 lb (75 kilo) frame rolls around on a Continental Town and Country in the rear (inflated to 4 bars) and a Panaracer Fire XC pro 2.1 (inflated to 3.5 bars, super durable, grips on everything, inexpensive, red sidewalls).

I ride through the unpaved, rocky and muddy alleys as well as everywhere else on paved streets and decomposed gravel bikeways. Sometimes I have the rear rack or back pack full of groceries, tools, cameras or whatever, adding vertical and lateral weight.

I had a chance to do actual mountain biking on rocky, technical trails in central Texas, and hope to do more in Colorado and Utah and Nevada (most likely on my way to Burning Man, where I plan to ride this bike around). At some point I plan to ride these wheels on the Great Divide Trail, eventually. I have no qualms about riding anywhere, weighed down with gear or faster and less laden.

I don't see how someone can dent one of these with normal or even aggressive riding. The sidewalls of the rim are shorter than older designs, which seem to make the rim less likely to pinch flat or dent from reasonable impacts. Crashes and super-epic cliff riding are another story and

My main complaint is the narrow width of the rims, which makes mounting fatter tires an interesting problem. Luckily my ancient frame won't fit 2.7" tires. 2.1" are solid with some mud clearance and seem to be about the biggest tire I can run. Maybe it helps shed mud, which seemed to slide off when I rode through some post-flooding silt mud.

If I remember, I'll update this after some rougher riding and some time.

Similar Products Used:   Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Fusion frame (2004) and a Surly 1x1 rigid fork, held into the frame with a Crank Brothers Sage Directset.
DT Swiss 240s hubs, DT Swiss XR 400 rims; Shimano SLX 170 cranks; Surly SS chainring; SRAM 11-34 9 speed cassette; ancient, bent Shimano Deore derailleur; Welgo platform pedals; Rocky Mountain branded seatpost with some Velo seat that's better than what came on the bike. Avid brake levers and BB5 discs, 160mm rotors; Planet Bike Versa rack; Portland Design Works Radbot 1000 and Spaceship 3 lights; Specialized red water bottle cage, side entry; generic water bottle cage; cool owl and Portland stickers

Submitted by Wojciech

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2013

Strengths:    weight

Weaknesses:    soft

Bottom Line:
I have built wheels whit the rims and after one year of riding forest XC
I can say I am very disapointed with weakness of XR400.
Although they are stiff during relaxed ride,
they cannot withstand more agressive ride.
Mine have got 2 indents on front (one after snike and one found after season)
and 3 on rear wheel (one snike and two other hard roots passing).
They are bad choice for agressive XC with down rides on tough trails (smal stones , roots)

I DO NOT recommend them. It's expensive piece of sh*t (or butter - if you prefere)

Submitted by 50calray a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Strengths:    Affordable, Light weight, and Quick

Weaknesses:    Weak and easily bent

Bottom Line:
I recently bought an SB95 equipped with DT Swiss XR400s (29") and ended up bending the front rim in only 10 miles. The milage break down is 9 miles on beginner loops and one on an intermediate loop. Now to be fair, I weight 273lbs at the time of this review. So I wrote it off as just not being suited for Clydesdales but after talking with other owners, I have learned that people weighing 200-220lbs are experiencing the same issues just prolonged.

Bottom line, these wheels are quick and light but limit the potential of the SB95. Their better suited for light weight riders and I would think twice about using them for XC, All MT, an Enduro.

Favorite Trail:   RCP/Boulder

Duration Product Used:   10 miles

Bike Setup:   SB95

Submitted by tcookson

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Light, fast

Weaknesses:    1) Expensive.
2) Kind of flimsy
3) See #1

Bottom Line:
Less than impressed. At nearly $100 per rim, I expected more, and was let down. I'd been riding Mavic 819 UST rims, and was convinced to give the XR400's a shot. They're marginally lighter (when accounting for the rim strip, etc that I don't need with Mavics), but my rear wheel is beaten all to hell (3 major dents in the rim) after only a year. My Mavic's were beaten on for years and years without issue. I'd rather pay the weight penalty than have to worry about smashing these expensive hoops again.

I get the "Bontrager rule" - light, strong, cheap: pick 2. Apparantly with these rims you only get to pick one. Not strong. Not cheap.