Home | Reviews | Rim | DT Swiss

• ETRTO: 559 x 19
  • Material: Aluminium

Submitted by matthew parker

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2013

Strengths:    I feel there a very solid rim ive had them for almost 6 years and had no problems with them ive done 100s of miles on them never had to true these yet...

Weaknesses:    none what I know

Bottom Line:
if you have a chance get these. used to use mavic rims before these ive mounted these on aireal hubs quite fast rolling I got these from evolution cycles in Eastbourne who built these up for me

Submitted by Titus

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2012

Strengths:    Haven't failed. Have had these for about 4 years and are still running true.

Weaknesses:    Have noticed that the black paint around the eyelets is starting to lift off the surface in some areas which is probably corrosion from riding in coastal areas where seawater has got on them.

Bottom Line:
I've had these on Hope ProII hubs for about 4-5 years, used on three different bikes. Have had no issues with them so far. They have a couple of minor dings from hitting a curb or rock, but have stayed true. I think keeping good spoke tension on the wheels makes the difference to the lifespan of most rims. I would say these are more suited to XC/trail use, but I've ridden lots of rough trails and smallish jumps and they have stood up to the the punishment -though I have noticed the limits of their strength on some landings. Definately a decent, light rim.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic D321, X717

Submitted by ABFGiant

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    Light, holds tubeless well (after rim strip install)

Bottom Line:
I switched to this rim with DT 240 Hubs and Nevegal tires from my cheapo stock Giant wheelset. This is obviously a HUGE improvement so may be hard for me to notice any weaknesses, but I can say that it has improved my climbing and overall handling tremendously. These rims are super light and seem to still take a beating pretty well. I ride cross-country/XC and am around 155 lbs. A buddy of mine is around 220lbs and uses these with not problems as well. Highly recommend these rims for anyone wanting to follow the weight weenie path or intend to race. Probably wouldn't suggest these for downhill or freeride though, especially if you're a heavier rider.

Submitted by raf

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2012

Strengths:    overall manifacturing

Weaknesses:    found crack in prossimity of rim welding after only 300 km... front wheel....only xc

Bottom Line:
more straight needed

Submitted by Inuitbiker a Weekend Warrior from EARTH, EARTH

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2012

Strengths:    Great rim for the front, light, easy to go ghetto tubeless

Weaknesses:    Weak rim for the rear wheel, easily dented by rocks, soft material

Bottom Line:
Great light front wheel for most of your mtb needs, except for FR/DH. Really easy to go tubeless with Maxxis tires. However the weakness was that the rims dented very easily. Also, it is a weak rim for a rear wheel if you don't ride like a midwestern colorado fireroad racer. Even with proper tension, I had to true each time after the bike park or hitting a rocky/jump trail.

Favorite Trail:   kessel

Purchased At:   oem

Similar Products Used:   mavic 717

Bike Setup:   (Rest in peace) DW Link 5.5 inch travel trail bike

Submitted by Clive on the cliff a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2011

Strengths:    Fairly light. Stayed true when landed on rock edges or high roots.

Weaknesses:    A label has peeled off slightly. But then it's been through some abuse.

Bottom Line:
Light enough for me. I normally do XC riding, but now and again slam the wheels into rocks, roots and ruts. I'm riding a hardtail and they have remained true and tense. I could probably do with checking the spoke tension with some precision after 2 year, but nothing seems loose at the mo. Considering the amount of neglect I've shown, they seem good to me. I probably wouldn't do the Red-Bull Rampage on them.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   Merlin

Similar Products Used:   Mavics

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Primo 2008 (Hard-tail). XT hubs, DT Competition spokes, locky nipples. Reba Team Forks. QR skewers. Currently Continental XC type tyres.

Submitted by mazta a Weekend Warrior from Iloilo, Philippines

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2010

Strengths:    Durable

Weaknesses:    Soft

Bottom Line:
Nice Rims Good for XC trails and All Mountain

Favorite Trail:   Maasin Trail

Purchased At:   Bike Kingdom

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by kirjo a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2010

Strengths:    Light! These things produced a very light build with XTR M970 disc hubs and Revolution spokes. Worked extremely well up until this weekend.

Weaknesses:    Weak. Clipped the edge of a small anthill and the front wheel folded and jammed into my forks, sending me sailing through the air and into a tree.

Bottom Line:
I really did like this wheelset. Built with XTR M970 disc hubs, DT swiss revolution spokes and pro-lock nipples by chain reaction cycles. I got them for my cannondale scalpel. I had them checked after a few hard rides, spoke tension was still perfect and wheels were true. The front wheel failed catastrophically this weekend, but I guess it's my fault for using a race-built wheelset for hard all-mountain riding (which is mostly my style). I am shocked however at how easily the rim gave way. At least it will look good hanging in my garage, and is something to laugh about over a few beers. The bottom line is use the rim for it's intended purpose and it should hold up, provided that you don't hit anything awkward at speed.

Favorite Trail:   all of them!

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Mavic XM 819's laced to DT 240s hubs with revolution spokes. These things are bullet-proof.

Bike Setup:   Intense spider with all the good gear (should have left them on the scalpel!!)

Submitted by Fiskare a Cross Country Rider from Redding, Ca.

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, wheel remains true despite abuse.

Weaknesses:    Seems like the material is a little soft, bends easy, but bends back too.

Bottom Line:
They are soft, but they only weigh 400 grams. They also reform well, so with some metal smithing you will get normal life. Properly laced I think they are the right compromise for aggressive XC, but not FR or DH.

Favorite Trail:   Haunted Deer Forest

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Trek 5 inch. Laced to 340s.

Submitted by ubrdomechanic a Racer from Kirkland, WA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, Construction, True

Weaknesses:    Eyelets, Bead

Bottom Line:
I'll agree that the rims are a little soft; but with a caveat. The rim only gets dinged when there is not enough air in the tire. Running tubeless systems on tires that are not actually intended for tubeless, i.e. soft sidewall tires, will cause you to bottom out more. I had one ding from using a set of Stan's racing tires on the bike but no issues with a Panaracer. DT is still the best rim maker for my money and I would back their product in any contest with Mavic.
Buy this rim if you are anything from a XC to FR rider wanting a lighter wheel. Get a shop to lace it well and use high tension in the build because that will help with durability! I won't say that you can't use it for Downhill racing because...well...I have...sort of. After 1 race I can say this is a great 4x rim with 2.5" Maxxis Minions! But I weigh 158 and have awesome handling skills...like a jedi. All kidding aside this is a great rim for race situations and if you use the right tire it will work great tubeless!
I agree with the review below that i9 sucks to deal with but thats another story.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   uBRDO Cycle and Moun

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 800 series, Stans ZTR Olympic, Edge Composites

Bike Setup:   '08 Yeti ASR Carbon, Lynksey Ti

Submitted by Adventure a Weekend Warrior from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2009

Strengths:    Put together with Industry 9 hubs and spokes they are reasonably light weight and advertised as a strong xc/ trail rim.

Weaknesses:    Soft rims. Add the DT Swiss tubeless kit & the numbers dont stack up.

Bottom Line:
I weigh 174 lbs (79 kg's)plus riding gear and have baggy UST tyres with DT rim strips & fluid. Riding a trail I enjoy twice a year last weekend and returned with three big dings in the rims. Heading into summer here in Kiwi land & the trail was a little wet but didnt expect the rims to be made of butter. I should have bought the 2010 Mavic ST's. I really hate writing a negetive review but the bottom line is I dont recommend either the service from Industry 9 or the 4.2d rims.

Favorite Trail:   Naseby trails

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax SL's for 4 years

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot DW link

Submitted by ErikEngerd a Weekend Warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    Light, in combination with DT Swiss 240s and DT swiss competition spokes good wheels, but... read about weanesses.

Weaknesses:    After one year of riding I did a routine inspection of the rear wheel and found several dents in the wheel. I am about 90 kgs and I am a relatively careful (not that aggressive) rider. I usually have both wheels on the ground and no drops more than 1 foot describes my riding.

It is really disappointing to find out that I have to replace the rim after just one year of riding. These rims are definitely weaker than the el-cheapo rims I got on my first mountainbike.

It is difficult to compare experiences with other riders, but in my case the problem occured after 4000kms of riding. Perhaps, production quality of the rims is not constant so that some people have good rims some bad ones.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy these rims.

Favorite Trail:   Nijmegen

Purchased At:   bike-discount.de

Similar Products Used:   Mavic EX 721 (good), Rigida X-star 19 (weak)

Bike Setup:   XT brakes, shifters, derailleurs.
Fox F32 100RLC, Fox float rp23, DT Swiss hubs, spokes, and rims. (Rims will become mavic xc717 disc).

Submitted by dosman45 a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Strengths:    Good wheels, I have about 100 miles on them so far and they are holding very true. Running Hope Pro Disc 2's with Hope skewers, and the Stan's no tube kit! Maxxis Larsen TT's 2.0's.

Weaknesses:    Well I have not found any yet, but if they end up not staying true I will replace them with Stan's Arch.

Bottom Line:
Very good for the money, I got them on sale and used their discount coupon so it really could not be beat for the price. I hope they hold up, I am 6' tall 200 lbs. and can be very hard on wheels! I put about 80 miles a week on my bike so I will know pretty quickly if they hold up or not.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   DT Suiss 430, Mavic 717 (they suck), Sun Rhino Lite's

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Ziggurat 19", full XT and XTR set up, Reba Race 100mm, Avid Juicy Carbon 160's, Thompson stem & seatpost, Monkeylite carbon bars, Chris King headset, ODI grips. (23.5lbs total)

Submitted by brentos a Cross Country Rider from Ogden, UT

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    Low weight, wide for an XC rim.

Weaknesses:    Soft aluminum.

Bottom Line:
Combined with the I9 build, this rim made for a nice, light, stiff wheel. Tires set up pretty wide on this rim which is a bonus. The DT tubeless kit (purchased seperately) worked well, but really no better than 1 layer of strapping tape and 2 layers of electrical tape...which was much cheaper.

The only knock I have on this rim is that it is SOFT. On one hand they dinged easily if a rock managed to compress the tire far enough to strike the rim. On the other hand they were soft enough to not cause a pinch flat through the tubless tire (nice in a race situation). The dings bend out easily enough with a pliers. I'm a 160 lb XC racer, none of the dings occured on anything resembling a jump...but most did occur plowing through rock gardens at speed.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR wheelset, Mavic Crossland Wheelset, Edge Composites XC rim.

Bike Setup:   I9 AM wheelset. Titus Racer-X.

Submitted by Lowball a Weekend Warrior from Roseville, CA ,USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    Light and you can still run 2.1 tires no problem.

Weaknesses:    Strength with bigger riders.

Bottom Line:
The rims are light for sure. I'm running a 32h in the back with 240 hub and SRAM with a custom build...have about 100 miles and no issues. Front rim 'was' a 28h with 240 and is now destroyed after about 100 miles (after a wreck). Since I'm over the 90kg weight limit by about 5kg's w/gear I was hoping the rim would hold, but one pretty good wreck and the rim is toast. So in general if you're a light weight guy and don't ride too hard or on any super tech or rocky trails you should be just fine...next time I just have to remember not to ride the Superlight like the Nomad :)

Favorite Trail:   Culvert/Confluence