Home | Reviews | Rim | DT Swiss

DT Swiss XR 4.1d Rim

4.18/5 (17 Reviews)
Weight : 425 grams MSRP : $75.00

DT Swiss is the only manufacturer in the world to produce every part of the wheel in-house, including their new line of rims. The XR 4.1d MTB disc rim utilizes a special welding process called SBWT (strength boost welding technology), which strengthens the point where the aluminum ends come together. This results in a truer, rounder and ultimately stronger wheel. All DT Swiss rims feature perfectly adjusted stainless steel eyelets, symmetrical and CNC machined sidewalls, wear indicators and are available in 28, 32 and 36 hole configurations in both black and silver.

DT Swiss rims are easily serviceable through the DT Swiss worldwide dealer network, and are 100% produced and hand finished in Switzerland.

Submitted by Zach a Cross Country Rider from Durango

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2011

Strengths:    Respectable weight. Decent braking surface. Eyeletted. Stays laterally true, which is partially a testament to the wheel builder.

Weaknesses:    Possibly the softest metal I have ever experienced in a rim.

Bottom Line:
This is probably adequate as a commuter wheel, or very light XC use on groomed buff trails.
After 2 months of use I had to replace the tire and noted 6 dents and flat spots on this wheel. The wheel was still laterally fairly true. This is a rear wheel. The front is a Mavic x517 that is still strong with no dents after 3 years. The rear one that I removed and replaced with this one does not have any dents, I just kept breaking spokes and felt that it was probably due to uneven tension. I will likely be scrapping this rim soon and rebuilding that old MAvic x517 that was on the bike. It's really a shame as I had high hopes for this one, but the metal is just too soft. Honestly my Heliums on my CX bike have withstood bigger hits and come out untouched. Decent value because I found them cheap at the LBS, but poor overall as I have never had a rim crap out this quickly.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Similar Products Used:   Sun DS-1, Mavic 517, 519, 717, 819, Helium, Open Pro, Ritchey Rock WCS

Bike Setup:   Kelly Deluxe, 80mm travel hardtail, XTR, WTB, Truvativ, Thomson and Titec bits.

Submitted by Trazy_66 a Cross Country Rider from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2009

Strengths:    strength, sleek design, not so common

Weaknesses:    dt stickers,paint chips off after two years of abuse, (don't really know if you may consider that a weakness)
no longer in the market

Bottom Line:
I'll buy another set if its still in the market and would recommend it to riders who know how to ride and be a little different. I am now looking at the 4.2d just in case my 4.1 will wear off, but I don't think that is anytime soon..

Favorite Trail:   parawagan in montalban

Purchased At:   old paulinas

Similar Products Used:   mavic 717

Bike Setup:   used it in my previous bike, indian fire trail for two years, now laced on my titus motolite ti, w/xtr components and avid elixir cr brakes, thomson stem, seatpost, talas, 240s hubs

Submitted by juan a Cross Country Rider from park city, UT

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, strength

Bottom Line:
One of the best wheels I've ever used!

Favorite Trail:   Climb a dead tree

Similar Products Used:   everything

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X. XTR/XO. 240 disc hubs

Submitted by bernard a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2007

Strengths:    Very light and strong, of course keep in mind the tensile strength to weight ratio, and its intended use.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Very light, strong, and durable rims. It's been abused for a few months now and its still true. Mostly XC riding with a few jumps here and there. I have these rims laced to 240s hubs, with 1.8 DT spokes, and it comes out to as a very nice package that is durable yet still affordable.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Similar Products Used:   Mavic x117, x317, Crossride wheelset, DT Swiss X430 series.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Churchville, NY USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    very stiff & light, durable finish

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Set up with 15/17 spokes, King disc hubs, these wheels are just as stiff and slightly lighter than my Crossmax ST's. I'm 210 lbs, ride mostly eastern rootsy, rocky singletrack, no big jumps. Wheels still as true as 2 years ago. The set transformed my old '05 Stumpjumper FSR in lateral stiffness when they replaced my x223's/XT set, then once on the Turner they really shined with such a better platform. I swap back & forth with Crossmax ST's and they both feel great. Got some IRC Mythos and the quicker acceleration over the old x223/Trailbears is stupifying. Guess I learned about rotational weight, eh? These DT's are as stiff/durable as Mavics x7** series disc wheels or moreso for very similar $$.

Favorite Trail:   Hunter's Creek, E-ville,

Similar Products Used:   Maviv x223, '06 Mavic Crossmax ST's

Bike Setup:   '04 Turner Burner, Marz. MX Pro ETA, Marathon S, King headset, Hayes HFX9's, eggbeaters, XT everything else

Submitted by mikeyboy a Weekend Warrior from Palos Verdes, Ca.

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Strengths:    They seem very durable, lightweight, they came true.

Weaknesses:    I believe them to have a design flaw for heavier riders! Or tube pressure?? See the "bottom line" for an explanation...

Bottom Line:
So, these rims came with my bike setup. I run DT SWISS COMPETITION 1.8/2.0 spokes and DT SWISS 340 hubs. So in only my second time riding my new bike equiped with these rims, I went flat 3 consecutive times back to back!! I couldn't even get my ride in.

I weigh 210 lbs. and usually run a tire (tube) pressure of about 40-50 lbs. What I discovered when I removed the tube from the tire and tried to inflate it was that the flat occured on the RIM SIDE. What it looked like was a tiny slit where the tube sat on each of the spoke holes. Of course I had a rubber liner on the rim itself but to no avail!! What I did was to run a Velox® cloth tape strip inside the rim instead of the rubber strip. That seems to have solved the problem for now even if at a slight weight disantvantage.

So what is it? I think because the nipples on the spokes are recessed rather than right at the surface like on a fat rim, you get the tube being pushed down into that empty space on each spoke creating a pinching effect. Then it's only a matter of time before one blows. It occured on the back tire which leads me to believe perhaps it was my weight (which really isn't THAT much) combined with tube pressure?...that caused the "pinch" flats. ? It happened with thin ultralight tubes as well as standard ones. I tried both. (remember, these "pinches" are happening on the spoke side).

I have never ever experienced this before and usually get a flat maybe once every 5-6 months. Maybe. Needless to say I was a bit discouraged with this past attempt to ride my new rig only to be pulling my hair out with that lovely hissing sound about 10 mins. into each ride. UGGHH!!!!! I ride all mountain with some 2-4 foot drops, lots of fast downhill fireroads with all sorts of cross country, but all of this happened while climbing... ON THE STREET!! So it's not the riding style.

DT... Address this please!! Otherwise, a great wheel which I would like to use.

Only 2 (fair) chilis for this "flaw". I feel bad doing it but I feel that if you are a heavier rider, you may be at risk with these rims unless you run a cloth tape strip inside. The lighter riders may not have any problems at all.

Favorite Trail:   The one I rode today!

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Oh a little of this and a little of that. These are my first "skinny" mtb. rims though.

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII Team model.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, easy tubeless conversion

Weaknesses:    Soft metal, out of true from factory, too small diameter from factory

Bottom Line:
I read all these great reviews and bought these based on them. I wanted a light rim that was just a hair stronger than my Mavic 717's which still did a good job after being beat on for over a year, 5 days a week.

I'm 150lbs and ride aggressive XC on this bike, AKA on the woosey side of all mountain. Fast in and over rocks, drops up to ~2 feet, occasional smooth jumps.

I really wanted to like these rims, unfortunately one came almost ¼” out of true and the other was 1/8” out. Also, when I went to lace them up I found out that my spokes were a couple mm longer than ideal. I had used 2 different spoke calculators including DT’s own. The front was 100% DT parts. Getting them true, with the proper dish, and perfect high tension was next to impossible. I spent 3 times as much time building these as any other wheel I’ve built. It was a major disappointment but at least I had nice light wheels and I figured they’d be at least as good as my old quality wheelhouse built 717/XT wheels that lasted a solid season.

I always recheck my wheels after my first ride, just to make sure they are still holding tension. These were still fine so I thought I might have avoided any unstable wheel issues. I was wrong, within two weeks the front(which was the worst to build) started going out of true on rocky rides or after sideways bunny hops. I had to work on it at least once a week. In about two months I had run out of threads on one side of the wheel, so now I have to keep it offset to keep it even close to true. I know I should have used shorter spokes but buying new DT supercomps are not cheap. I have gotten two bent sidewalls in the front, which I’ve never done with any front rim before. The rear actually did a bit better but after about two months, it too won’t stay true and keeps getting bent sidewalls. These must not be heat treated properly or something because I’ve never had this level of problems with any wheel I’ve ever had. I haven’t even bothered switching to tubeless which I love because I have to pull the tires off too much for trueing. To say I’m hating these rim would be an understatement.

I tried to get some help at a race from the DT people but they didn’t do squat for me. I thought about stepping up to 5.1’s but I’m boycotting DT for a while, until I’m sure they have their QA taken care of. These rims never should have left the factory. I guess if you get a good set they are great, but I hope nobody else gets a set like mine.

Favorite Trail:   Most anything in Moab

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 317, 517, 717, 721, 321, Sun Singletrack, Rynolite

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth ID, 240 front hub, Hadley 108 rear, SuperComp spokes, XTR discs, etc.

Submitted by Stephen a Cross Country Rider from ypsilanti, mi, usa

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2006

Strengths:    lightweight and strong. ability to take high tensions.

Weaknesses:    slightly narrow, so it is hard to run wider tires at lower pressures without having them roll.

Bottom Line:
These rims are a wheelbiulders dream. They come true and round allowing the wheelbiulder to get the strongest wheel possible from the rim. I love the fact that they allow higher spoke tensions than most other rims. A bit expensive but worth the extra cost for the quality.

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   mavic 217,517,717

Submitted by swarz a Weekend Warrior from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    super strong, fast, reliable, only been back to builder for a retune once mainly due to spoke stretch. have dinged back wheel slightly but didn't get a pinch flat, or any punctures for that matter.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found.

Bottom Line:
Originally bought these to go on old hardtail with v brakes, built them up with XT disc hubs and DT spokes.

Despite giving them a hard time, dinged the back one up very slightly, they still run true and tight. Haven't even had one puncture, not even when I dented the back rim, maybe it's luck but maybe not either???

Use them on new bike that I built up, now with XT discs and still run as well but now with rear suspension too.

Overall, never had any dramas with them at all and several friends have them too with zero problems either.

If you are looking for rims that are both disc and rim compatible, tough, low maintenance, stiff and reasonably light, have a look at these!

Purchased At:   Bike ride, Hobart.

Similar Products Used:   mavic x118 that came on old bike. (97 Avanti Barracuda)

Bike Setup:   originally on Avanti hardtail, now on Intense Spider, XT, thompson.

Submitted by phil a Cross Country Rider from houston, texas,usa

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    swiss made, extremely durable, reinforced eyelets.

Bottom Line:
I'm usually riding fast paced xc, but on occassions I hit drops and jumps. I have missed landings several times with the rear rim (with a 1.8 inch tire) hitting the lip on doubles. These rims are bullet proof and light. 300 miles on these rims and still running true.

Favorite Trail:   camden park

Similar Products Used:   mavic 717 split at the weld seam.

Bike Setup:   xt disk hubs, dt db spokes, dt xr 4.1d rims, fire xc pro 2.1(front) & 1.8(rear)

Submitted by trex a Weekend Warrior from Nevada City, Ca, US

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2005

Strengths:    nice extruded design, good aluminum,eyelets

Bottom Line:
gotta speak up and echo the rim's ability to take high tension. and while we are talking DT Swiss, these were laced by me using the their supercomp spokes and alloy nips. i did not expect them to hold up to heavy free ride abuse. no stress risers, nothing. my front tracks great and both still sing an even 'stand'ing song. pretty damn good for a year.

Favorite Trail:   Beyer's lake trail/Loon lake

Purchased At:   molokai

Similar Products Used:   all sorts of mavics, the next stiffest rims and quality

Bike Setup:   ran a pair on my heckler, 2.3-2.4 tires, 8' front rotor lots of granite and loose scorching

Submitted by JD a Cross Country Rider from SC

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Strengths:    Strong and Light. Put them through numerous rock gardens and off a couple of drops and they haven't given yet. Also feel, they just seem to roll smooth and feel good and stiff in turns, going into and out of

Weaknesses:    None so far, aside from scratching, or beauty marks

Bottom Line:
Great Rim. Highly recommend giving them a shot. And cannot beat the price.

Purchased At:   Black Dog Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Selects (sucked), Mavic can't remembers, and SunRims

Bike Setup:   Yeti FRO stock except for DT Swiss Onyx Front and rear hubs, Avid mech disc brakes, and rims obviously.

Submitted by Charles Coker a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Strengths:    very tough, light and stiff
able to take LOTS of tension

Bottom Line:
We have pretty much switched to these rims exclusively unless we are building a serious set of FR/DH wheels

they are 430g on my scale on average,very consistent weights.
They will take a lot of tension, contrary to what I have heard from some wheelbuilders that high tension doesn't make a more snappy wheel, it absolutely does. These rims build up a very stiff wheel that accelerates fast and holds a line in the rough stuff.

awesome product
works great with both Stan's strips and the DT version of the same

Favorite Trail:   rocky and technical

Purchased At:   Hammerheadbikes

Similar Products Used:   everything

Bike Setup:   hammerhead 100x

Submitted by freerangehuman a Cross Country Rider from texas

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Strengths:    Look good, build well, true decent, disc version can be used for rim brakes or disc, good price, tough enough.

Weaknesses:    Scratch easy, lotta vertical hops when building up...

Bottom Line:
Got these at an ebay imba charity auciton for $80 a pair shipped, about the same price as 517's. They weigh a little bit more but if that translates to durability its fine with me. 517's break eyelets easy and these DT's seem a little more stout but otherwise pretty much look like the 517's.
My frame doesnt have a disc tab in the back so I tried a rim brake on the disc rim and it works fine. The only difference between the disc and non disc, is that the non disc sidewall has been machined and polished. After 3 months under brake pads my disc rims are too now. I was a little worried at first but they stop fine.
So far, 3 months of service with no problems at all. Normal rim tape doesnt seem to fit so get some extra wide tape and trim it up after applying. Your tubes will thank you for it. Tire changes are a breeze with either hutch pythons or schwalbe bj's, with the schwabes you dont need a tire level, just pinch it, double it over, and pull towards you. I might post back in another 6 months if anything changes.

Favorite Trail:   RCP