Home | Reviews | Rim | DT Swiss

• ETRTO: 559 x 21
  • Material: Aluminium

Submitted by giant_in_a_trance a Weekend Warrior from Essex

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2012

Strengths:    good quality

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I bought these fitted to hope pro 3 hubs and read loads of reviews after i had bought the wheelset.

There is no issue getting my Schwalbe nobby nics on, i used a cheap plastic tyre lever and my fingers to get these on.

And through research ive discovered its only the fat riders that have problems with this rim being too soft, im 5.10 and 65kg so these should hold up through whatever i put them through. if your a heavyweight then look elsewhere.

Submitted by jwerts a Downhiller from Pisgah

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2011

Strengths:    light and durable

Weaknesses:    Could be a little wider but not bad

Bottom Line:
I bought a wheel with this rim used (was probably over a year old then) and have ridden it hard for over a year for all mountain, freeride, and downhill. After all that abuse, its only slightly out of true. I probably wouldn't trust it as a rear wheel for light freeride/downhill, but its still going strong on the front.

Favorite Trail:   Farlow Gap

Purchased At:   bought used

Similar Products Used:   sun rhyno lite

Bike Setup:   specialized pitch, lyrik 160 coil, dhx air, freeride/downhill setup.

Submitted by leepatrick33 a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    - Too light... explanation below!
- Hard to get Maxxis UST Highrollers on/off - the techs at my LBS confirmed they often have had problems w/ DT Swiss rims & Maxxis tires (they said most Maxxis, but I only ever had the Highrollers on them).

Bottom Line:
When I was building up my bike, I was looking for a nice all-mountain wheel that would take my heavy-a$$ (I'm right at 200 lbs), and still be light enough for regular climbing. I felt these fit my spec (budget, wgt, durability... supposed durability that is).
When I first put them on they rode great! I loved them, I still changed to my beefier Mavics when hitting the DH/jump parks, but I ran the DT's everywhere else. They held up to a lot of hard riding (I'm pretty aggressive rider & I prefer the harder, more technical & rockier lines)... that is until I had to change my first flat.

***This is important: there were NO dents, dings or scratches on these rims prior to changing the first flat... so anyway, I was using PLASTIC tire levers (that came with my Park tools set), the rim deformed immediately!!! I repeat, I was using PLASTIC tire levers and the rim deformed!
Now, if I had bent these riding, I would say "oh well - it's just me being too aggressive again" - but no rim should deform under a plastic lever... the lever should break first!
Nevertheless, if you buy these or already have them, be very careful about what tire you're running. Obviously, don't put Maxxis UST Highrollers on them. However, one shouldn't have to worry about putting all-mountain tires (i.e. Highrollers) on an all-mountain wheel!! Boo DT Swiss

Favorite Trail:   the one I just rode...

Purchased At:   BWW

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 325

Bike Setup:   Custom built Nomad (by me)

Submitted by Bring Back Buck a Weekend Warrior from NZ

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2011

Strengths:    Good width, not too bad for weight.

Weaknesses:    Too soft. Rim ever slightly too big for UST tyres. DT rim strips don't last - because you need to use a metal lever to get the tyres on and off.

Bottom Line:
Replacing with Stans Flow. Just too soft a rim.

Favorite Trail:   42nd traverse

Purchased At:   Mountain High Cycler

Similar Products Used:   Mavic XM819

Bike Setup:   5 Spot, Chris King bits, Pike etc

Submitted by MultiRider a Racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Strengths:    Light and durable

Bottom Line:
Great rims. I ride lots of rocks and they have held up well. I don't huck; if my bike gets 2" between the tires and the ground, that's "big air" for me. No issues at all, they have held up for a couple of years in pretty aggressive trail bashing and racing.

Favorite Trail:   Rocks

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Had them on a Yeti 575, then took them to an Ibis Mojo

Submitted by tlefko a Weekend Warrior from South Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    none really. they are really light, which can be a strength to some but they proved to be too light for me.

Weaknesses:    super, super soft. i completely flattened the rim with only 5 rides on the wheel. when i say flattened, i mean the rim completely collapsed and the bead edges folded in and rendered the wheel useless.

Bottom Line:
i owned these rims for only three weeks before they broke. i read numerous reviews about the ex500's (5.1's) being soft and their reputation for being lousy rims for aggressive riders is spot on.
they came on my bike with the factory freeride pro build kit so assumed they would be fine. when i picked them up i was astonished at how light they were. i had doubts given some of the stuff i ride and it turns out i was right.
as much as i hate mavic stuff their rims are much better and i'm going back to the ex823 - it's much heavier but takes some nasty abuse.
the DT Swiss EX500 (5.1) rims SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR ALL MOUNTAIN OR FREERIDE BIKING! these rims would be great XC race rims and that's about it.

Favorite Trail:   lynn, vietnam, highland

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   mavic ex823

Bike Setup:   knolly delirium

Submitted by muvro a Racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2010

Strengths:    Very light for an aggressive AM wheel-set and light FR. With Hope Pro 2 hubs, these are an awesome bit of kit! I do about 40kms a week, mixing up trail, single and drops ranging from 3ft to 6ft. Just eats it all up and rolls really fast. Will definitely buy again!

Weaknesses:    They might be a little soft on the sidewalls, but only after very aggressive riding and experimenting with low pressures. Any dent that occurred resulted in a very large pinch-flat and lower than 25psi pressure. I'm about 90-95kg with gear so no feather weight.

Bottom Line:
If you want a do it all rim, from XC to FR these are the rims to get. Their weight is great and they take a beating. At a sub kg wheel-set with hope hubs they can't be beaten!

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Brand new, second ha

Similar Products Used:   Syncros DP25

Bike Setup:   2008 Norco Six, '06 Marz 66 SL, DHX 5 Coil, XT groupset with saint cranks and Saint 4spot caliper on the front.

Submitted by Spongebob a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, strong, didn't need truing much, even under my 230lbs.

Bottom Line:
I have 2 wheel sets. When it gets serious, I use these. They hold up to my weight through descents and rock gardens here in the N.E. Never had a flatspot, and I check my wheels regularly, along with the rest of the bike.....its called maintenance guys! Only jump small table tops, but slam into lots of rocks. These rims are great and keep a line much better than my Synergies, but then, they're not in the same use category. Also, if you want tubeless, the conversion system is just the best! So easy to pump up with a floor pump.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Larry Mettler

Similar Products Used:   Synergies, Rhinos, so many

Bike Setup:   5 spot with push rockers, hadley and hope, KCNC, Thomson, Oro discs, ISIS Crankbros BB, Truvativ Stylo Crank, 959's, KMC SL chain, X-9, various tires during the season, PIKE U Turn Air, CKing,

Submitted by johnmongo a Cross Country Rider from Peak District, UK

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2010

Strengths:    Bends rather than cracks, as it is a softer compund than others, eg Mavic

Weaknesses:    Bends easily

Bottom Line:
It bent within 6 months, has 2 irrepairable flat spots, and cannot be trued. Still runs as it is on a disc, but it is like riding an egg.
I ride 100km per week in the UK Peak District. It is fast and rocky, but no major drop-offs.
Expensive, over-rated, easily knackered.
Not as durable as the mavics I have had, which lasted a couple of years.

Favorite Trail:   Edale Loop

Purchased At:   Evans

Similar Products Used:   Mavic CrossRoc, XC717, other bottom end Mavics and Shimano, Alex Rims stuff

Bike Setup:   Scott Genius carbon, MC30; Scott Scale;

Submitted by Nomadic Buckeye a Weekend Warrior from Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Strengths:    reasonably strong and reasonably light for a decent price

Weaknesses:    They're a tad difficult to get tires off without a lever.

Bottom Line:
I've had no issues with these rims. I originally wanted Sun Equalizer rims, but they were too new to find. I wanted something that wasn't french, so I had to go with something Swiss. I'm happy with the performance:weight ratio of these rims. I've landed 7+ foot drops on these and they're still round. I'm 190lbs. They get routine use on some very rocky trails. They're still straight and hop free. I would seriously consider these rims for a future purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek, Nashville

Similar Products Used:   oodles

Bike Setup:   Nomad

Submitted by deathbybike2 a Weekend Warrior from Pleasant Grove UT USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2010

Strengths:    They true easy enough.

Weaknesses:    Super soft. Came on my sx trail, really shouldnt have.

Bottom Line:
Wouldn't be bad on a cross country bike, maybe all-mountain if you don't weigh much and are lite on the bike. If you hit doubles or drops or really rocky terrain and dont want to re-true your wheels after every ride they're not your best bet.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 529's, rhyno lights

Bike Setup:   Sx Trail, fox fork mtx 33 rims, dirty thirty handle bar.

Submitted by gastonbx a Weekend Warrior from Buenos Aires, Argentina

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Strengths:    Very strong rims, will not let you down for all mountain usage. Tires come in/out easily and even with a big crash, will not 'bead brake'.

Bottom Line:
This wheelset came with my 2007 Demo8, with Specialized's Chunder 2.5 tires. I have made only one ride on my bike and then the rear wheel was FOOBAR. I don't understand why the wheels came in this bike. I took an angled-stones bed at high speed (9th pinion) and the last stone, on a curve did all the job. I must clarify that the wheel indeed let me ride all the weekend until I exploded it in a gap, after 5 times.
Bottomline, I have made misusage of them, a bit of my ignorance, but the wheels are excellent, very strong, but should not come with DH/FR bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Les Gets

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Deetrax, Ex729.

Bike Setup:   Standard 2007 Demo8 "pewter"

Submitted by ratherberiding a Weekend Warrior from Wyre Forest UK

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2009

Strengths:    Strong enough for AM, light enough for XC. Easy to get tyres off, but a little tip - unseat the bead all the way around into the middle channel before trying to remove the tyres....

Weaknesses:    None discovered

Bottom Line:
I'm pretty tough on bikes - hard riding AM with a hardtail, and around 230lbs but still like to race up hills. Combo of hubs, tyres and rims is fantastic, but probably will upgrade to 20mm bolt through on front. One big hit put a little wobble on the rear wheel, but something a spoke key could put right. Tough rims, great for all mountain - when you want to climb again. Expensive here in UK, so Mavic are probably better value. IMHO not up to downhill riding but that's not what I wanted them for....

Favorite Trail:   Dog Kennel Run

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic D521 / EX729

Bike Setup:   Kona Hoss Hardtail, nothing left standard. Stealth rear hub - an undiscovered hero which leaves my old Chris King rear hub for dead - infinite engagement and instant take up. Chris King front hub. Continental Gravity tyres - very impressed with these too.

Submitted by photodog a Racer from SLO, CA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, relatively light, durable if built well. Mount beads very easily. Pinch flat a bit less than most.

Weaknesses:    none, they do what they are supposed to

Bottom Line:
I'm 175lbs and ride in what most people would consider to be extremely rocky conditions and ride very aggressively. I've got 2 sets of wheels built up with 5.1d's and am very happy with them. Both sets are custom built, one is almost 3 years old, the other 2.

After 2 years of daily riding with tons of rocks and jumping, the fronts are in excellent condition and the rears have no flat spots but a couple of dings from rocks. I've only trued the older set twice, the newer one once. That speaks to the quality of the rim and to the master wheel builders. I'm surprised to see anyone complain about mounting tires as I've had tons of tires from 2.1's to 2.5's and never had any sort of struggle. I go through a set of tires every 3 months so I've used just about any tire on these that works in rocks; nevegals, ardent, various WTB, panaracer, conti's etc. with no trouble mounting at all. I don't even carry tire irons as with proper technique it's easy to mount/dismount. 2.3's are the perfect fit on these and 2.1's get nice and wide so I generally run one in back. 2.5's are a bit squeezed in but I don't see the point of tires that large so it's not an issue.

They aren't up to daily heavy FR abuse but can do real AM (jumps with good trannies, drops to 6' with trannies, the occasional flat landing at speed) not to mention the other part of AM; still climb back up at relative speed, and I'm sure would make for good DH race day wheels with 2.3's. Heavier trail/XC riders that have rim issues should also consider these.

Favorite Trail:   mine