Bontrager Valiant OSB Rim

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)
Weight : 405 grams MSRP : $64.00

• Super light rim for racing use on rear wheels
  • Offset spoke bed (OSB) design minimizes dish for a stronger, longer lasting wheel
  • Dual cavity design employs internal, in-plane wall for increased strength and stiffness
  • Welded joint with machined sidewalls
  • ERD 542

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by geoff luttrell a Racer from san francisco

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2003

Strengths:    Very light, easy to build, trued up very well, less dish with the off-center design, nice sidewalls

Weaknesses:    they were not free

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line is- Great Rim!!! I laced this to an XTR hub, 32 hole, 2 cross, straight 15 guage spokes with alloy nips. I have raced this wheel about 5 times, including an 8 hour, ridden at Tahoe and plenty of other places. I trued it up after the first ride, and have had no problem since. Actually, I probably need to turn 1 nipple about a quarter turn at the moment, but I have been kind of lazy. I weigh about 157 and am fairly careful when I ride. No huge drops, but I have hit some stuff pretty hard. It's all about the wheelbuilder. I can't wait to wreck my front Rolf so I can build the front rim.

Favorite Trail:   Flume Trail

Similar Products Used:   lots of mavics, Rolf Dolomite

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500, XT, XTR, Fire XC Pro's

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Tokyo

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Less dish than standard rims, therefore, far less spoke breakage. Wider pad surface

Weaknesses:    the rim deforms around the eyelets!!!

Bottom Line:
    I built this wheel up myself, so, personally, I have confidence that it is well built. You'll have to trust me on that one. Its the third or fourth rear wheel I have built.

I haven't tested it on any evil trails yet, but it is true and centred after three months. None of the spokes have loosened either. Its great. I also love the extra wide brake surface (13 mm vs 11mm on the Mavics). It makes pad adjustment that much easier.

However, I was rather alarmed to feel a faint bulge around the eyelets, from the spoke tension. At first I thought I had over tightened the spokes, but I spoke to my LBS, and they said it was quite common with cheaper rims!! I was a bit shocked, but they said it probably would not be a problem. I'm going to wait and see.

One other disappointment was the stiffness of the rims. Because of the offset design, I expected a stiffer rim, but that does not seem to be the case. Just judging from the force required to push the rim to one side with my hand, it does not seem any stiffer than my Mavic rim which it replaced. Oh well. I'm still satisfied. It's better than my old rim...